Sign in to follow this  
trekz

Why put down newbies?

Why do you think people put down or dismiss others as newbies?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you think people put down or dismiss others as newbies?

• They think they are classifying, not putting down people
    • They are thoughtless, or just don't think about it.
    • They are mean-spirited
    • They want to be the center of attention
    • They just doDon't mean to, just don't know better

I have noticed here and elsewhere that some people classify new people to a site as newbies and tend to put them down. Why the negative attitude? Do you want to have them leave? Should they sit quietly back and not participate in discussions? Some of the newbies may be older or in the case of Star Trek, may have been watching it and been fans since before others were even born. Why not help them, show them the ropes etc. Most people on this site are very nice, helpful etc. We were all newbies once. Why not cut new people some slack?

I have no idea why some desire to treat newbies as such. But I definately welcome anyone who is new here :bow: After all, I was a newbie once.

Makes them feel superior, when in reality they are insecure.

If you were happy within yourself, you wouldn't need to put others down to feel better about yourself.

I haven't seen anyone putting new members down here, though for the past couple of months I've been pretty busy and haven't really had a chance to read every thread. If there's a case of someone being attacked or put down please bring it to the mods attention.

I say "mean-spirited," because most statments against 'newbies' are generally mean-spirited. Of course, if the 'newbie' acts dumb, they are sorta bringing it upon themselves, but still.

I personally consider the name "newbie" a term of endearment ( :bow: all of us have been one at some point), but I haven't noticed any mistreatment of new members here. If so, that's really unfair :bow: . Like VBG said, if that happens, please feel free to let us mods know.

I recently joined a forum and they're really mean to n00bs, one guy remarked that I probably wouldn't post ever again, then they picked on the size of my font, then they picked on the color of my font, and now I'm really impressed w/ the maturity of everyone here, if I have time I try to say hi to new members

I think that they're just classifying. Well, at least they are in my case. I dont mean to be mean, im just saying the are new, so i call them a "n00bie". i dont mean to be hurtful.

eh all us Newbies suck :P

everyone here has been nice to me, but I do have a clue to what I am talking about ;) :P ;):borg2:

I really have no clue. I joined STFN a little over a year ago and I found that this was about the kindest site to newbies I had ever seen on the web. That is a lot of the reason this is the only forum I post regularly in. I had a good experience when I was new and I have watched others who were once newbies develop into regulars and now many of them are my best of friends! I find it just plain stupid to put someone down for being new as later they could be some of the best people one will ever meet.

Everyone was a newbie once and I personal have never been treated like a newbie, more like a punching bag, but still everyone should be treated the same.

I haven't noticed any mistreatment of new members to the site, if they do feel unwelcome they should mention it to a mod. However I don't think calling someone a "newbie" is in the slightest bit insulting, more a term of endearment than anything else.

Althogh everybody I have met on this site is very kind, I voted that they're mean spirited. That's just my opinion. In fact on a game site I play around on, ppl swear at me, try to kill me in the wild, or just act like a friend and then swear at me or try to kill me. And this is all b-cuz I'm new. I'm glad ppl on stf.net aren't like that. :P

Well, I have not seen any mistreatment of 'newbies' here. The culture of this site is to openly welcome new members and there is a thread here specificaly devoted to welcoming new members. New members are encouraged to post, and even expected to post ( thought it is not required). The only requirement is that new members, as all members must, obey board rules.

I did not vote in the poll, because there was no choice that fits my perception of things.

I wish people would remind the newbies that we have a chatroom in here as well. All everybody talks about in here is posting

"Newbies" are just "New people" that are not as familar with the sites facilites or members. Nobody here has ever offended a newbie, and I'm sure our fantastic caring mods will sort them out *Winks at the mods* . They should never feel unwelcome, why, this place is too cool to be unwelcomed by. People like DrWho42 welcomed me very nicely when I first joined. :P

:lol: :wow: :msn-wink:

I think it's that newbies don't know what goes on and where and when so people assume stupidity and inferiority.

Some Jerks are just mean Spirited to everyone and Newbies feel even more insulted when they attack them

Not so long ago we were new.

Any One Who Comes On Board. Is A Friend We Have Not Met Yet.

And They Are Welcome.

Everyone here was a newbie at one time. I don't put them down, because its just rude.