Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Brent Spiner Signed For "Threshold" Pilot

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) The CBS drama pilot "Threshold," about contact with alien life, has just picked up a rather large piece of sci-fi cred. Brent Spiner, known to legions of "Star Trek" fans as Lt. Commander Data, has signed to star in the pilot, according to The Hollywood Reporter. It would be his first series regular role in about a decade; he starred in the early-days-of-UPN series "Deadly Games" shortly after "Star Trek: The Next Generation" ended its run in the mid-1990s.

"Threshold," which also stars Carla Gugino ("Karen Sisco"), is about a group of scientists and military personnel who make contact with extraterrestrial life. The show's production team includes "Star Trek" vet Brannon Braga and "Blade: Trinity" writer-director David Goyer.

In addition to "Star Trek: TNG" and the feature films featuring the show's cast, Spiner has appeared in "Independence Day," "Phenomenon" and "I Am Sam." He also had a recurring part on "Night Court" in the mid-1980s.

Earlier this season, he appeared in three episodes of "Star Trek: Enterprise," playing Dr. Arik Soong, the grandfather of Data's creator, Dr. Noonien Soong.

Glad for Spiner, and I may take a look at this.

I'd like to know more specifics though because right now, it just sounds like Men in Black meets Stargate SG-1. I wonder if Spiner will be a scientist or a military officer. He could easily play a scientist as he's done it before (Soong, Dr. Okun). Seeing him as a military officer would be different but interesting.

The show's production team includes "Star Trek" vet Brannon Braga and ...

:bow: One of the Star Trek Killers is getting his own show huh? Everything wrong with ENT and its eventual demise is starting to make sense now.

:bow: One of the Star Trek Killers is getting his own show huh? Everything wrong with ENT and its eventual demise is starting to make sense now.

309647[/snapback]

I hope you aren't seriously suggesting that Brannon Braga would try to kill Enterprise so he could be involved with another series. There is such a thing as resigning which a number of other Trek people have done over the years. As well, it is not unheard of to executive produce more than one series at a time especially when he is one of four executive producers for Threshold (David S. Goyer, Bragi Schut and Mark Rosen are the others). Besides, he stepped back quite a bit this season when Manny Coto came in.

It was part of both Braga's and Berman's last contract that they develop projects outside the Trek universe. This is Braga's.

I kind of hope it does well in order to demonstrate that Braga is at least a compotent writer (I know most people don't have a high opinion of him but he wrote some great TNG and VGR episodes). I think if that happens it will show that Enterprise's problems were not exclusively the fault of the writing team. Especially because Threshold is a show on a major network.

I know I'm grasping at straws but I hope someone can recognize the logic I'm employing there.

All I can say is the man created himself. *Was his own grandfather, his own creator, and his own brother... yikes!!!*

AHH AAHHHHHH!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!! *Goes nuts and jumps around and starts to hyperventalate* AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Ok sorry had to do that. When does it start? What chanel is it on?

I love you! *grabs them* (it is for telling me about it.) :hug:

But serieously thank you so much!!!!!!!! YAY BRENT!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! YYYAYYY!!!!!

:P :) :hug::bow: :) :)

Way to go Brent! At least now he can stop appearing in dumb movies( i mean his parts in movies are dumb, i mean honestly, have you seen him in Independence Day? Or Dude,Wheres my car?) and actually have a (?)good(?) series.

:) One of the Star Trek Killers is getting his own show huh? Everything wrong with ENT and its eventual demise is starting to make sense now.

309647[/snapback]

I hope you aren't seriously suggesting that Brannon Braga would try to kill Enterprise so he could be involved with another series. There is such a thing as resigning which a number of other Trek people have done over the years. As well, it is not unheard of to executive produce more than one series at a time especially when he is one of four executive producers for Threshold (David S. Goyer, Bragi Schut and Mark Rosen are the others). Besides, he stepped back quite a bit this season when Manny Coto came in.

309667[/snapback]

I'm saying I don't like the timing and that it's possible Braga was 'distracted' from giving ENT his complete attention because thoughts of his own series was crowding ENT out. Imo he's proven he cannot handle more than one project at a time. His stepping back occurred once ENTs fate was sealed, remember season 4 was a gift.

Ok sorry had to do that.  When does it start?  What chanel is it on?

313867[/snapback]

It's going to be on the main CBS network but they haven't even made the pilot yet. You'll have to wait until CBS announces its fall schedule before anything is known.

BTW, at a recent convention Brent did say that his part was recurring so it sounds like he won't be on every week - if CBS picks up the series.

:) One of the Star Trek Killers is getting his own show huh? Everything wrong with ENT and its eventual demise is starting to make sense now.

309647[/snapback]

309667[/snapback]

I'm saying I don't like the timing and that it's possible Braga was 'distracted' from giving ENT his complete attention because thoughts of his own series was crowding ENT out. Imo he's proven he cannot handle more than one project at a time. His stepping back occurred once ENTs fate was sealed, remember season 4 was a gift.

313895[/snapback]

If Enterprise had gone downhill this season then I might consider that however we both agree that Manny Coto has been doing a wonderful job. It wasn't Brannon Braga's decision to cancel Enterprise and he probably had as much input in that decision as we did, in all honesty.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Ok sorry had to do that.  When does it start?  What chanel is it on?

313867[/snapback]

It's going to be on the main CBS network but they haven't even made the pilot yet. You'll have to wait until CBS announces its fall schedule before anything is known.

BTW, at a recent convention Brent did say that his part was recurring so it sounds like he won't be on every week - if CBS picks up the series.

:P One of the Star Trek Killers is getting his own show huh? Everything wrong with ENT and its eventual demise is starting to make sense now.

309647[/snapback]

309667[/snapback]

313895[/snapback]

If Enterprise had gone downhill this season then I might consider that however we both agree that Manny Coto has been doing a wonderful job. It wasn't Brannon Braga's decision to cancel Enterprise and he probably had as much input in that decision as we did, in all honesty.

314018[/snapback]

BANG IT!!!!! HE he.

Whatever keeps Brannon Braga away from Star Trek is OK with me.

314267[/snapback]

Amen to that, dude. I just never have liked that guy ... I hate watching his interviews, he just creeps me out. There is just something about him that annoys. Yes, I'll admit he wrote some decent TNG episodes, but they do not outweigh the negative factors he brought to the table IMO.

He was given too much power. Like Rick Berman.

Braga was best served as a guy on the writing staff who popped up ever so often with an idea for a story, he was not the type of guy who was suited for creative control over the other writers.

Berman was best suited as a pen pushing producer. He was best at moving production along, dealing with schedules etc....He also wasn't suited as the creative leader for the franchise. When he left that side of Trek to more capable people, Deep Space Nine flourished.

I think I posted in the holodeck about all the "pilots" for next season, right now Threshold and all the rest are still just that - pilots for potential series. The networks should announce in May which ones they actually pick up.

In case you did know. Brent Spiner(Data, TNG) Will be inovlved in a new sci-fi tv series. In Trek today it was mentioned that it might appear on CBS. The people who are making Threshold are former Trek writers and people who worked on Enterprise.

For more infomation visit: www.trektoday.com

CBS announced its fall 2005 schedule and Threshold has been picked up. It's set to air Friday nights at 9:00. Its lead-in is a new series starring Jennifer Love Hewitt called Ghost Whisperer and following it is the returning Rob Morrow series Numbers.

CBS announced its fall 2005 schedule and Threshold has been picked up. It's set to air Friday nights at 9:00. Its lead-in is a new series starring Jennifer Love Hewitt called Ghost Whisperer and following it is the returning Rob Morrow series Numbers.

325092[/snapback]

Good for him, I'm not crazy about his costar - nor the fact that it comes on at the same time as Atlantis :thumbs: but I do think Spiner is one of the better actors to come out of a ST series.

325092[/snapback]

Good for him, I'm not crazy about his costar - nor the fact that it comes on at the same time as Atlantis :thumbs: but I do think Spiner is one of the better actors to come out of a ST series.

325095[/snapback]

Which co-star don't you like, UH? Other than Charles Dutton, I'm not really familiar with any of the other cast members.

325092[/snapback]

That's great news! :) :thumbs: Apparently one of the other actors plays (played?) "Ethan" in "Lost". He's pretty creepy in that show, so I'm anxious to see what kind of character he plays in "Threshold". :P

325092[/snapback]

That's great news! :) :thumbs: Apparently one of the other actors plays (played?) "Ethan" in "Lost". He's pretty creepy in that show, so I'm anxious to see what kind of character he plays in "Threshold". :P

325097[/snapback]

If you are referring to William Mapother, it appears he's to be a recurring character. The cast listed at CBS.com is:

Carla Gugino as Molly Anne Caffrey

Charles S. Dutton as JT Baylock

Brent Spiner as Nigel Fenway

Robert Patrick Benedict as Lucas Pegg

Brian Van Holt as Cavennaugh

Peter Dinklage as Arthur Ramsey

Here is a summary that's listed:

In the middle of the ocean, a cargo freighter makes a chilling discovery: an extraterrestrial craft has landed on earth. Enter Molly Anne Caffrey (Carla Gugino), recruited to await the planet's first contact, along with a carefully assembled team made up of a brilliant physicist with strong religious beliefs, a language and communications expert and a highly trained covert operative. Together they implement the long-gestating Operation: Threshold, charged with finding out the purpose of the landing and the fate of the ship's crew, and preparing for the worst-case scenario of an alien invasion.

I don't know which character is what with regards to the description of the team.

Gugina is the one I was referring to. She played in Chicago Hope and was the mom in Spy Kids. She just wouldn't have been my pick for this role or series - I can't believe they named the character Molly.