Sign in to follow this  
Jaz4stfguy

NASCAR Anyone?

It seems a thread about NASCAR is in order. So here it is. :biggrin:

Anyone watch today's race? I saw the beginning, and left at 169 laps, when Mark Martin ~~ Woo Hoo! ~~ was in third place. I took Luke with me to Menards, then to Wal-Mart. The race was over by the time I returned. But it was Greg Biffle, not Martin, who won the race. And what about #24? It seems his car threw a piston, so Gordon finished 30th :: Jaz sheds crocodile tears. LOL! :: and Martin ended up in 7th place.

Hehe, I'm not a fan of NASCAR at all, but I watched it. Partly because I don't have cable, and I wanted to know who would win so I could talk to people about it. Does anyone know if they listen to cds in the car, or is the constant radio chatter and engine noise make it impossible to hear? Whenever I'm out driving, I love having cds in. Makes it fun :biggrin: Then again, I have a Saturn SL2, not really a sports car, but I drive it like one. It helps since I have manual. And there I go off on a tangent. :lol:

Major disappointment for Jeff Gordon :biggrin: , but at least Mark Martin did well. :lol: Kinda sucked for Kasey Kahne, too. :hug: Although not as exciting as Daytona, it was still a good race.

Hehe, I'm not a fan of NASCAR at all, but I watched it.  Partly because I don't have cable, and I wanted to know who would win so I could talk to people about it.  Does anyone know if they listen to cds in the car, or is the constant radio chatter and engine noise make it impossible to hear?  Whenever I'm out driving, I love having cds in.  Makes it fun :P  Then again, I have a Saturn SL2, not really a sports car, but I drive it like one.  It helps since I have manual.  And there I go off on a tangent.  :)

306537[/snapback]

No, MP, the drivers really don't have time to relax. Between monitoring the radio chatter from the pit crew chief, and the "spotter" ( who helps the driver find the best line to drive on the track, as well as avoid other cars that crashed), and keeping a close eye on the vehicles around his car ~~ you notice that they drive within inches of each other! ~~ the driver really can't afford to listen to CDs. Besides, the roar of the engine is so loud, that a major "boom box" would be needed, and there really isn't room for one. The weight of the car is critical to maximizing the MPGs, and so only essential items are used. I don't believe that the cars even have AC! :)

I'm surprised that the cars don't have speedometers, since the pit road speed limit is so crucial. :)

I'm surprised that the cars don't have speedometers, since the pit road speed limit is so crucial. 

I agree! I was surprised when I first heard this. You'd think because the pit road speed rule is for safety, they'd make it so the drivers are sure they're following the rule! Trying to tell your actual speed by the tachometer has got to be very difficult! :)

I'm surprised that the cars don't have speedometers, since the pit road speed limit is so crucial. :)

306689[/snapback]

:) Yeah, me too. However, I seem to recall that the drivers gauge their speed by the RPMs. They determine the proper RPM to use in the pits while following the pace car. Or something like that.

306689[/snapback]

:) Yeah, me too. However, I seem to recall that the drivers gauge their speed by the RPMs. They determine the proper RPM to use in the pits while following the pace car. Or something like that.

306710[/snapback]

Yea, it's possible to gauge your speed using RPM's. I know that if I'm in third gear in my car, and the RPM's say about 4000, it's about 50 mph's. Then I shift into 4th and the gauge drops to about 3000, and I accelerate that way. :P

Well, NASCAR fans, the Nextel Cup racing continues this weekend in Las Vegas. Naturally, I'll be once again rooting for Mark Martin. w00t! w00t! Maybe the weather here will be crappy, so I'm more apt to stay inside. If Sunday is as balmy as last weekend, I may find if very difficult to sit indoors. I think the spring cleaning "bug" may have bit me in the posterior. LOL! :yahoo:

No matter how nice the weather is, I'll always stay inside for NASCAR! And now that we have cable, I can watch the Busch series and Craftsman Truck races! :yahoo:

The Brothers Busch certainly did well in Vegas. I wish Mark Martin had done as well. :P

No matter how nice the weather is, I'll always stay inside for NASCAR! And now that we have cable, I can watch the Busch series and Craftsman Truck races! :laugh:

The Brothers Busch certainly did well in Vegas. I wish Mark Martin had done as well.  :P 

310646[/snapback]

Yep, MM had engine problems. But it sounds as if there were others with worse problems after the race. I am referring to Jimmy Johnson, Matt Kenseth, and Kevin Harvick. JJ lost 25 points, and the Points Leader status. :yahoo:

I hate it when they take away points. :P The only time when I could understand doing it is if a driver deliberately does something so stupid or careless that it causes a serious accident.

I don't watch NASCAR anymore. All of the cars look exactly the same. In the old days, Richard Petty would be driving a Superbird,Cale Yarborough would have a Chevelle or something. The cars were distinct and clearly recognizable. These days, all of the cars, regardless of the make, look like foreign imports. Except for their colors and numbers, they are indistinguishable from each other. I own a musclecar myself and have raced it on the track but I can't watch NASCAR.

I don't watch NASCAR anymore. All of the cars look exactly the same. In the old days, Richard Petty would be driving a Superbird,Cale Yarborough would have a Chevelle or something. The cars were distinct and clearly recognizable. These days, all of the cars, regardless of the make, look like foreign imports. Except for their colors and numbers, they are indistinguishable from each other. I own a musclecar myself and have raced it on the track but I can't watch NASCAR.

310659[/snapback]

I think the Superbirds / Daytonnas were the sharpest cars on the track! That rear wing was, and still is, awesome! So what kind of "musclecar" do you have? I would love to own an old MOPAR, like the Super Bee or the Charger. A Superbird has a "super" high price tag now a days, if you can find one for sale. LOL! It is sad that the NASCAR folks don't allow more individulality in the cars. Maybe its to allow more car owners a chance to race by striving for a more level playing field. I thought the IROC race was meant for that. Whatever, I still enjoy the races! :P

The NASCAR Busch Series Aaron's 312 will be on FX today at 11:30am Pacific time, not the Speed channel as I stated in my Personal Log. Oops. :angry:

The NASCAR Busch Series Aaron's 312 will be on FX today at 11:30am Pacific time, not the Speed channel as I stated in my Personal Log. Oops. :angry: 

311212[/snapback]

Thanks, BakulaBabe! Carl Edwards won that race. I'm now watching the Golden Corral 500, and he is fairing pretty well. It appears, according to the announcers, that those who raced Saturday are doing the best today. This Atlanta track is very fast. Already, there has been a big crash - in the first lap! - and, fortunately, Mark Martin was not involved in it. Its too bad for those who were. Bobby Labonte, #18, was visibly upset when interviewed. He is still racing, but now he can only hope to finish the race. :look:

i have to agree. that was an amazing finish. my favorite part was when carl edwards back flipped off of his car.

tm

Now that's what I call racing! Is Carl Edwards amazing or what?! :angry:

It sucked to be Jeff Gordon today :eek: but Mark Martin did a good job. :look:

what an amazing finish today one of the best I seen in a while

311424[/snapback]

i have to agree. that was an amazing finish. my favorite part was when carl edwards back flipped off of his car.

tm

311434[/snapback]

Now that's what I call racing! Is Carl Edwards amazing or what?! :angry:

It sucked to be Jeff Gordon today :eek:  but Mark Martin did a good job.  :eek:

311450[/snapback]

I agree, as well. CE's back flip was classy, IMO. A nice change from the tire smoking burnouts. :mad1: Poor Jeff Gordon. :eek: That first lap wreck was a real bummer. I'm glad that Mark Martin finished as well as he did. Fourth, wasn't it? :look:

Yep, 4th place. Won't be long before he gets back to the Winner's Circle! :thumbup:

Kevin Harvick, #29, had a great race at Bristol on Sunday, taking the checkered flag. Looks like a win for the "bowtie" guys. B) Unfortunately, Mark Martin was mixed up in a big crash. I believe he finished 31st. B) Jeff Gordon was 15th. Tony Stewart made a fantastic save after he was bumped from behind. Normally, one would spin around or turn sideways, smacking the wall or other cars. Stewart somehow did a 360, facing straight ahead after the spin, and no other contacts! Very skillful, indeed. Or very lucky. B) Next week, its Martinsville, and the #6 team has done very well there in past races. :P

Tony Stewart's save was amazing! They say it may be because of his "open wheel racing" experience. And I can't believe they couldn't even finish one lap without the drivers doing "the stock-car shuffle". B)

It's awful about Mark Martin. Looked like he nearly went under one of the cars, then got it from both sides. B) And Carl "Flipper" Edwards didn't have a very good day either. Still a really exciting race though. Gotta love those short tracks! :P

I think the Busch Series race is tomorrow morning. I'm not sure what time or channel yet.

I was shocked at all the wrecks! It seemed like right after they got restarted, there'd be another one! B)

Tony Stewart really did make an incredible save when he spun. His driving has always impressed me. B)

And my man DJ placed in the top five for the first time this year! Maybe if they keep fine-tuning the car a bit, he'll actually win a race this year! :P

I saw the rain-dalayed Busch Series race earlier this morning, and I couldn't believe all the crashes! Short track races are exciting, but numerous accidents really slow them down. Speaking of accidents, Dale Jarrett sure wasn't happy about being taken out by Shane Hmiel near the end of the race. :P Hmiel's "reason" (lame excuse) made no sense - the little jerk oughta be fined! (IMHO) B)

Will Get me In a whole lot of trouble.

Keep my mouth shut

Speaking of accidents, Dale Jarrett sure wasn't happy about being taken out by Shane Hmiel near the end of the race.  Hmiel's "reason" (lame excuse) made no sense - the little jerk oughta be fined! (IMHO) 

Yikes! I didn't see that. :P B)