Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Where are you?

By today's standards the effects are cheesy and the style is campy but I like cheesy and campy! <_< You want to see real cheese and camp look at the old Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers serials with Buster Crabb. Now that's cheesy!! But they were/are SO cool!!! I love them.

Ktrek

And old B sci-fi movies! No better family activity on a cold winter's night than curling up on the couch with a big bag of popcorn and a couple B sci-fi movies!

There has to be some TOS fans out here but this seems to be the least talked about series lately. What are some of your insights on TOS? I think it was a groundbreaking show, way ahead of it's time!

TOS was way ahead of its time. It was the first series on TV that brought together people of different races, and nationalities on earth, placed them in positions of power and responsibility, and showed that they could work and live together in harmony. During the time TOS was airing on TV, there was a lot of discord here in America, and between America and Russia..........It certainly was a series ahead if its time. <_<

TOS will always be special to me. It was where this whole Star Trek journey began. It will always be my favorite series. All the other series are very well done but they don't have the feel of TOS in my opinion. Why is that? Perhaps it is the classic crew in those shows. Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov. They almost become American Icons and practically become a cult following. If it wasn't for those classic characters there would have been no movies and no subsequent Trek series. Or perhaps it was the very well done stories. They didn't have todays cool special effects but they wonderful stories and plots. As a teenager I will never forget begging my parents to watch Trek. At that time they were on at the same time as the News. A lot of times they let me. Eventually they bought me a Black and White TV for my room so I could watch them everyday. Sure, it was Black and White but I was happy to have it for times when my parents wanted to watch the news on the color set. I am very anxious to see what the TOS DVD Season sets will be like next year. Very excited about that.

THE ORIGINAL SERIES IS THE ONLY SERIES AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED---YES, ITS THE BEST.... SOME OF THE NEXT GENERATION IS OK -- BUT NOTHIN LIKE TOS---  THATS MY OPINION.... THANKS, LINDA

:laugh: I know how you feel but for me, having only the OS to watch for so many years gave me a Hugh appetite for more so when TNG came along I was right there with it, all the way up till today. Now I see TOS as the most important chapter in the saga because it started the whole thing but the other series are ok by me as well. Next to TOS ENT is swiftly become the new standout series. :laugh:

Edited by Alterego

TOS will always be special to me. It was where this whole Star Trek journey began. It will always be my favorite series. All the other series are very well done but they don't have the feel of TOS in my opinion. Why is that? Perhaps it is the classic crew in those shows. Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov. They almost become American Icons and practically become a cult following. If it wasn't for those classic characters there would have been no movies and no subsequent Trek series. Or perhaps it was the very well done stories. They didn't have todays cool special effects but they wonderful stories and plots. As a teenager I will never forget begging my parents to watch Trek. At that time they were on at the same time as the News. A lot of times they let me. Eventually they bought me a Black and White TV for my room so I could watch them everyday. Sure, it was Black and White but I was happy to have it for times when my parents wanted to watch the news on the color set. I am very anxious to see what the TOS DVD Season sets will be like next year. Very excited about that.

I go with you, Spacetigger.

The only thing I can't fully agree with is about the other shows. I do like them too. I'm not a hot TNG fan, never been. But I like it and watched every epi 2-3 time when they were aired. I do like DS9 and VOY - and I'm nuts about ENT!!

Lucky you Spacetigger you finally got a TV set. I always had to fight with my father. TOS was aired end of the 60ies during the same time like the sport show on the soccer games of the day. Here in Germany soccer is the no. 1 sport - so can you imagine how hard I had to fight? *sigh* But my father worked night shift each second week so I could watch TOS at least then.

What counted and still counts for me are the well written stories. And I'm a great fan of the so called Star Trek Philosophy - it has had a great influence on me. You could say it formed my way of thinking.

The only thing I can't fully agree with is about the other shows. I do like them too. I'm not a hot TNG fan, never been. But I like it and watched every epi 2-3 time when they were aired. I do like DS9 and VOY - and I'm nuts about ENT!!

I din't mean to give the impression that I don't like the other series. I'm crazy about DS9..That is a fantastic show..And I love Enterprise..TNG and VOY are OK too..They do have good stories..But TOS will always be special to me. Probably because it was the first one and because I was a teenager when I discovered it.

There has to be some TOS fans out here but this seems to be the least talked about series lately. What are some of your insights on TOS? I think it was a groundbreaking show, way ahead of it's time!

I don't have cable or satellite, so I am seeing absolutely no reruns of old series, since UPN took VOY off the air. The only series I see is Enterprise. I do have some videotapes of episodes of TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY, but I currently cannot purchase the series DVD's that are available. :biggrin:

I miss Enterprise sometimes too. :bow: So I haven't had much to say lately.

I love TOS. It's number one for me. I watched it when the original series was on the air.

Edited by mjham

Star Trek was definitely ahead of it's time when it first aired, that's why NBC and other networks were afraid about how well it would do. I say that ENT is my favorite series, but TOS is still #1 on my list. It has the chemistry, the action, the drama and everything in between. There hasn't been a friendship in all of the Trek universe that has been as great as the friendship Kirk, Spock and McCoy had between each other.