Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Trek Network?

Would you watch an All Star Trek Network?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you watch an All Star Trek Network?

• Hell Yeah!
    • Sure, sounds great!
    • Yep. I'd watch.
    • Eh, maybe
    • Nah. Too much Trek is a bad thing
    • Nope, I hate Trek.
    • Jim, you'r an idiot (family only!)

Alright, I was listening to Gary's radio show tonight, and he and his call-in guest were talking about a Trek TV network. I'm not asking you if Viacomm would create one, not asking your opinion of probability, I am ONLY asking if you would watch a Trek TV network.

No.

It's the absolute last thing the Star Trek franchise needs.

Besides, the average reasonable Trek fan would get sick of it. There's only a certain number of times you can watch re-runs of Trek episodes before you can't stand them anymore.

Edited by The King

I'd watch if there was one.

It's not like they would have any trouble with programming. If it broadcast for 18 hours a day (say 6 a.m. to midnight) they wouldn't repeat an episode for about 40 days. Then you factor in the movies, perhaps a trek news program covering the kind of things Treknation does. Maybe some TV movies and a new series. It could work, but I don't see it happening.

No.

It's the absolute last thing the Star Trek franchise needs.

Besides, the average reasonable Trek fan would get sick of it. There's only a certain number of times you can watch re-runs of Trek episodes before you can't stand them anymore.

305674[/snapback]

:P You don't want Enterprise to continue next year and you don't want us to be able to see the other Trek series. You just want Star Trek to totally go away don't you ?

I've wanted a Trek network for a long. long time. Even when there was only TNG and TOS..And now it's even more possible. With 5 series and 10 movies..Plus like Jack says they could have special Trek programs and documentaries as well.. But I don't see it happening anyway..Thank god for the DVDs!

I wouldn't have time... I've even had to by the episodes on video because i am too busy.... i have to watch them when doing homework :P

Yeah I'd watch. If it's not football season and if Survivor isn't on I usually only use the TV for my Star Trek DVD's anyway.

After all they have well over 600 episodes of Star Trek already on the shelf, they could at least cover part of the day with episodes. They could run 3 episodes of each series and that covers 15 hours right there. A lot of cable networks shut down late at night and run infomercials so that could cover several hours in the late night or early mornings.

If an all Trek network were to be launched, and it's very possible that it could, it would be short lived. The realities of programming are such that after the initial grand debut and probably some decent ratings at first, the viewership would probably decline and make it less attractive to the advertisers, the blood of all broadcasting. The demographics are so narrow that eventually most advertising dollars would either dry up or the advertisers would demand greatly reduced fees to make up for the lack of viewers. In either case, the network would have to fold. No dollars, no signal.

Something like this would have gone over better during the hey-day of Trek but today with so many of its "fans" wishing it would go away & die I don't see it standing a chance.

If it were somehow able to become reality then I'd watch anything about Trek on it but not old episodes themselves unless their not being cut was guaranteed.

I said before I'd like to see Trek set up as its own entity; an entire production studio (with a complete databank to store every Trek fact) totally devoted to the creation of new (canon) Trek of every description, a station to air all the material both new and old would be just the ticket. This is what Trek deserves.

Well, What John (the guest on my show) and I discussed was the possibility of having the Station set up somewhat like NFL Network is. You've got Star Trek Total Access, which is a News-type show; In Their Own Words (a documentary kind of thing, narrated by the subject); Star Trek Tech, which is obvious, plus all the trek on there. We were discussing possibly devoting each week night to a different series. Monday is TOS, Tuesday TNG, Wednesday DS9, Thursday Voy, and Friday Ent. on the Weekends, show the movies, including stuff like Trekkies, Trekkies 2, and Free Enterprise, as well has have something like a Convention Round up.

my idea of heaven would be a trek network, but balance the fiction with fact, documentaries on mans exploits in space and what it means to the average joe on the street. but of course such a network would be short lived, so maybe A good network would be one with a mandate to show all trek on each day of the week, then science documentaries, ordinary drama (csi, without a trace alias, etc) then you have a bunch of PBS shows for children, with a few science fiction shows for them too, a dedicated news hour late evening a movie after that. And finally specially commissioned peices of sci fi and any show that is cancelled i.e. Enterprise

You don't want Enterprise to continue next year and you don't want us to be able to see the other Trek series.

ENT will NOT be continuing next year so I will get my way.

You can still see the other Trek series on DVD and on re-runs.

But a dedicated Star Trek channel would be a short lived novelty and a suicidal idea for the franchise.

You just want Star Trek to totally go away don't you ?

No Mr. Tigger. Quite the opposite. I actually care deeply about the future of the franchise, and in a few short weeks, you WILL see this clearly.

I don't want Trek to go away ... just Enterprise.

If there were such a network and we could get it on our cable system, I would watch it all the time to the exclusion of everything else. HOWEVER, since there is no way that we can count on that ever happening, I'm satisfied with our ever-growing DVD collection. I'll take out a second mortgage on our house to complete it if I have to!!!

You just want Star Trek to totally go away don't you ?

No Mr. Tigger. Quite the opposite. I actually care deeply about the future of the franchise, and in a few short weeks, you WILL see this clearly.

305814[/snapback]

Okay Now I am personally going to take offense to that, that is implicating that all pro ent people to whom you have already said are anti-franchise by wishing the series to continue, are blind to the fact that by liking and wishing for something to continue is some form of blindness.

It doesn't, it shows they are deeply enamoured with the whole concept of the francise, to a level deeper than yours. It is you who will learn that others do not need to be bombarded (and incessant posting on how ent should remain cancelled and suggesting that anyone else's opinion is in some way and by default delusional and wrong and only your opinion is correct is highly insulting, inflammatory and to say the least aggravating.)

I would appreciate it if you left comments like the one you just levvied at ST in your mind, insinuating that a more mature member of the board is blind to your particular brand of sanity and clarity has upset me.

I think you misunderstand.

I said Mr. Tigger will see how deeply I care about the franchise in a few weeks, because I will be posting an extensive list of ideas for it's future.

If I didn't care about the franchise as he believed I do not, I wouldn't have written a 4500 word list about what I feel needs to be done to make certain the franchise is strong in the future.

I voted HELL YEAH!!!! and king, anyone can Write a list, i could write a list, my Mom could write a list on stuff for star trek, but that doesnt mean that she likes it(she doesnt). plus, you arent being very PRO-TREK if you want any/all of the series' to go away, plus, how would a trek channel be suicidal to the franchise?hmm?

I voted HELL YEAH!!!! and king, anyone can Write a list, i could write a list, my Mom could write a list on stuff for star trek, but that doesnt mean that she likes it(she doesnt).

No question. When I post it, I'm not expecting positive feedback for the most part. The general environment on this site is of a sort where any kind of idea which isn't "Pro-ENT" or "Pro-SaveENT" is hung drawn and quartered. That is to be expected. Though no one has been able to do that to my superb debunking of Pro-ENT excuses.

plus, you arent being very PRO-TREK if you want any/all of the series' to go away,

So, let me get this straight. Because I don't like ENT, that makes me anti-Star Trek?

That definately sounds like "Brazaelian" logic.

plus, how would a trek channel be suicidal to the franchise?hmm?

You need me to tell you this? :P

I think that the idea of perpetuating Trek is an idea with some merit, however, I think the history of other channels on cable have proven this idea just won't work.

The channel would need more diversity.

I like my Trek too, but the idea of just showing reruns doesn't make me more excited about Trek, rather it's somewhat "it won't work, and then it will go off the air in an even bigger flame".

Trek deserves to have more air time, a channel for it though, won't make people thirst for more.

I voted HELL YEAH!!!! and king, anyone can Write a list, i could write a list, my Mom could write a list on stuff for star trek, but that doesnt mean that she likes it(she doesnt).

No question. When I post it, I'm not expecting positive feedback for the most part. The general environment on this site is of a sort where any kind of idea which isn't "Pro-ENT" or "Pro-SaveENT" is hung drawn and quartered. That is to be expected. Though no one has been able to do that to my superb debunking of Pro-ENT excuses.

plus, you arent being very PRO-TREK if you want any/all of the series' to go away,

So, let me get this straight. Because I don't like ENT, that makes me anti-Star Trek?

That definately sounds like "Brazaelian" logic.

plus, how would a trek channel be suicidal to the franchise?hmm?

You need me to tell you this? :P

305828[/snapback]

A)Im not brazaelian, im canadian.

B)Yes, please disclose the information on how a star trek channel would be sucidial

A)Im not brazaelian, im canadian,

-laughs-

I said "Brazaelian" not "Brazilian". B)

I wasn't talking about the country Ronaldo and Ronaldinho come from. The country that's won the World Cup five times.

:P

B)Yes, please disclose the information on how a star trek channel would be sucidial

Overexposure.

Oversaturation of an already oversaturated product.

The last two Trek movies tanked, as did the last Trek show, so why would a Trek channel be a success?

a trek channel would be a success because TREKKIES WOULD WATCH IT BECAUSE THEY WOULDNT HAVE TO LEAVE THEIR HOMES TO WATCH TREK!!!!!

The king is very un-trekkie like.

BTW, im Canadian, not Brazilian, or any of kinds of European countries.

Edited by LordOfTheBorg

a trek channel would be a success because TREKKIES WOULD WATCH IT BECAUSE THEY WOULDNT HAVE TO LEAVE THEIR HOMES TO WATCH TREK!!!!!

Well, when I watched Deep Space Nine back in the day, I never needed to leave my home because my TV set was actually inside my house.

BTW, im Canadian, not Brazilian, or any of kinds of European countries.

B) :P B)

I think a Trek Net Work would be interesting, but it would seem like it was just selling out. Kind of like the Alien vs. Predator or Jason vs. Freddy type movies. It just feels like parading an old war horse.

Like what King said, it would just be oversaturation and would cheapen the series.

The cost to get anything new (like a news show, documentaries, or a New series) would either kill the network or lead to only having reruns of old shows.

It's kind of an "Oh what if..." dream idea. People would get bored and it would be much more difficult to bring the show up to a successful level.

So king if, as you say, we are too overexposed to Trek why bother showing us your ideas & since I'm in for a penny... what makes you think we'll care to see them? The way you openly bash ENT & it's fans I can tell you now: I wont.

King, you are a very egotistacal little immature kid who thinks that because he is a nerd in real life that he has to come onto this forum and make every else feel bad, and bait them to fights, and then get them kicked out so you can feel better. Please, everyone, ignore him, then maybe he'll go away.

Click For Spoiler
So king if, as you say, we are too overexposed to Trek why bother showing us your ideas

It's a long term plan. I'm thinking years ahead.

& since I'm in for a penny...

I see. So you would accept ANYTHING called or connected to "Star Trek"?

what makes you think we'll care to see them?

Most of you will not.

1- Some will attack the ideas in retaliation for my opposition to ENT. These people would oppose me regardless of what I posted.

2- Some will disagree with them for more rational reasons.

3- Some will support them openly.

4- Some will modify them and develop them.

5- Some people will have better ideas which I hope they do.

6- Some will support them quietly but won't do so openly for understandable reasons.

Whatever people may think, I will be posting them regardless.

The way you openly bash ENT & it's fans I can tell you now: I wont.

That means you fall into catagory 2.

King, you are a very egotistacal little immature kid who thinks that because he is a nerd in real life that he has to come onto this forum and make every else feel bad, and bait them to fights, and then get them kicked out so you can feel better.

B) :P B)

Please, everyone, ignore him, then maybe he'll go away.

Yes, bury your heads in the sand.

No see, no hear, no speak!!!!!!!

Edited by The King