Sign in to follow this  

For all of those who see Godzilla as nothing more than just a cheesy series, go to imdb.com and look at the movies starting at Godzilla 1985. Toho, updated the whole series, and started it over again twice, once in 1985, and again for Godzilla 2000. Some movies weren't even shown in US theaters, but huge hits in Japan. I've seen some of the later ones, such as Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla and vs Destroyah, as well as the Godzilla 2000 movie in theaters. It has really been updated, more special effects of high quality. So just check some of them out. Oh, by the way, pay no attention to that 98 American Godzilla movie, just plain horrible...

Edited by MrPsychic

indeed. This year will be my 20th year of being a Godzilla fan. Godzilla is not even directed at children now and have very mature themes. There have been more that have been released on DVD after Godzilla 2000 that are really awesome. They are

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah Giant Monsters All Out Attack!

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla

Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S.

and last year in Japan they released Godzilla Final Wars which will probably be released here on DVD at the end of the year or early next year. I'm a huge Godzilla and Gamera fan. I have 23 of the 27 Godzilla movies. for those that like Godzilla or want to know more about Godzilla or just talk about him come to www.gojistomp.org

it's an awesome site where G fans hang out. I'm a member there and it's awesome. Been there for almost two years.

Ugh, I hated the American movie...Most Godzilla purists do as well, I'm not a purist, but I just thought the story and the visuals were bad.

Ugh, I hated the American movie...Most Godzilla purists do as well, I'm not a purist, but I just thought the story and the visuals were bad.

305552[/snapback]

Well, story wasn't the best, but I loved the visuals. Now if it only had more action and less comedy and love...

I heard that the American Godzilla makes a cameo in a Japanese Godzilla movie as an "assassin" monster this alien sends after Godzilla.

Yep, it's called Godzilla: Final Wars, came out in Japan on December 2nd 2004. In that movie, it was called Jira, or Zilla, because the director thought the American version "took the God out of Godzilla". They are going to fight at Sydney Australia. Say bye bye to the Opera House.

Edited by MrPsychic

He is in a brief cameo but gets killed off pretty fast. It will be released in America on DVD probably at the end of this year or early next year. It will also be the last Godzilla movie made for about 10 years.

Here's a DVD collection I think is cool. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...3792086-1014332

A couple of problems though. They have the bad 1974 version of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, and it doesn't have the later version Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II or the weird idea one of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. They also have the American version in here. At 80 dollars, it's not cheap, but also, it's a good bargin.

So everyone can keep track of all the movies, I'll break it down by "series"

Showa 1954-1975

Click For Spoiler

* Godzilla (1954) (1956)

* Godzilla Raids Again (1955) (1959)

* King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) (1963)

* Godzilla vs. Mothra (1964)

* Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964) (1965)

* Godzilla vs. Monster Zero (1965) (1970)

* Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (1966) (1968)

* Son of Godzilla (1967) (1969)

* Destroy All Monsters (1968) (1969)

* Godzilla's Revenge (1969) (1971)

* Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971) (1972)

* Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972) (1977)

* Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) (1976)

* Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) (1978)

* Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) (1978)

Heisei 1984-1995

Click For Spoiler

* Godzilla 1985 (1984) (1985)

Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989) (1992)

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) (1998)

Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992) (1998)

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993) (1999)

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla (1994) (1999)

Godzilla vs. Destroyer (1995) (1999)

Shinsei 1999-2004

Click For Spoiler

Godzilla 2000: Millennium (1999) (2000)

Godzilla X Megaguirus: the "G" Extermination Command (2000) (2004)

Godzilla - Mothra - King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001) (2004)

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (2002) (2004)

Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003) (2004)

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)

The first year listed is the year released in Japan, the second is released in the US. This all is courtesy of www.gojistomp.org

The interesting thing about Godzilla movies is that in most of them, Godzilla is the enemy, destroying Tokyo, and other cities. In the end though, you can't help but cheer for Godzilla :P

Yep, it's called Godzilla: Final Wars, came out in Japan on December 2nd 2004.  In that movie, it was called Jira, or Zilla, because the director thought the American version "took the God out of Godzilla".  They are going to fight at Sydney Australia.  Say bye bye to the Opera House.

305582[/snapback]

So a Godzilla doppelganger.

He is in a brief cameo but gets killed off pretty fast. It will be released in America on DVD probably at the end of this year or early next year. It will also be the last Godzilla movie made for about 10 years.

305583[/snapback]

I bet anything I can find a copy or two on eBay.

Okay... so I can't. But there's still alot of Final Wars products :P

Edited by sea trooper

Sea Trooper, I can tell you why you couldn't find it. Final Wars was released in Japanese theaters on December 2nd 2004. It hasn't been reformatted for home there, let alone brought over. It will be avaliable probably by the end of this year in the states.

Sea Trooper, I can tell you why you couldn't find it.  Final Wars was released in Japanese theaters on December 2nd 2004.  It hasn't been reformatted for home there, let alone brought over.  It will be avaliable probably by the end of this year in the states.

305817[/snapback]

I figured that :P But I could buy a Japanese import of the movie when it does come out there.

I just watched Godzilla 2000. It was a very good movie. The only thing I didn't like about it was the English dub. I loved that huge alien monster at the end. I think I heard something called Orga... Is that it?

Edited by sea trooper

yep, Orga. If you like that, you will LOVE the movies that came afterward

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Godzillla, Mothra, King Ghidorah Giant Monsters All Out Attack!

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S

All of these are already out on American DVD. If you want to choose one, I would go with GMK Giant Monsters All Out Attack! It's awesome! Godzilla looks real evil in that movie.

But you have to watch Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla before you watch Tokyo S.O.S. because S.O.S. is part two of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.

yep, Orga. If you like that,  you will LOVE the movies that came afterward

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Godzillla, Mothra, King Ghidorah Giant Monsters All Out Attack!

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S

All of these are already out on American DVD. If you want to choose one, I would go with GMK Giant Monsters All Out Attack! It's awesome! Godzilla looks real evil in that movie.

But you have to watch Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla before you watch Tokyo S.O.S. because S.O.S. is part two of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.

305970[/snapback]

Hey, I got all those movies in my store! B) But I don't think we have the All Out Attack :P

No, we do have it! B) We have a bunch. Including all the ones up there ^ and:

vs Mechagodzilla

vs Mechagodzilla II

vs The Sea Monster

vs Hedorah

vs Mothra: Battle For Earth

vs Mecha King Ghidorah

vs King Ghidorah

vs Gigan

Destroy All Mosters

I rented the Megaguirus one.

Edited by sea trooper

He is in a brief cameo but gets killed off pretty fast.

305583[/snapback]

It makes sense that it's killed off quickly. It proves how much better the Japanese Godzilla is than the American one.

This thread has gotten me hooked on Godzilla :blush:

Okay, so there have been 2 Godzillas, and every new movie after the Godzilla 2000 is like the last one never existed...

I have a question. If the Japanese are aware of Godzilla and his destructive habbits against Tokyo then why don't they just permanently evacuate it instead of being surprised and running like crazy when he does come.

Out of G2, GvM, GvMKG, and GaM, I'd have to say Godzilla versus Megaguirus was the best. It had cool graphics with the Dimention Tide, and though the harsh reality of strings protruding from Megaguirus's self crushed me a bit, it had good English dub, not like what Godzilla 2000 had.

This thread has gotten me hooked on Godzilla :angry:

Okay, so there have been 2 Godzillas, and every new movie after the Godzilla 2000 is like the last one never existed...

I have a question. If the Japanese are aware of Godzilla and his destructive habbits against Tokyo then why don't they just permanently evacuate it instead of being surprised and running like crazy when he does come.

Out of G2, GvM, GvMKG, and GaM, I'd have to say Godzilla versus Megaguirus was the best. It had cool graphics with the Dimention Tide, and though the harsh reality of strings protruding from Megaguirus's self crushed me a bit, it had good English dub, not like what Godzilla 2000 had.

307805[/snapback]

glad you are a Godzilla fanatic now! you can join the gojistomp forum and meet other godzilla fans. :blush:

you are correct, every movie after Godzilla 2000 is like the last one never existed, except for Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. They are two parts of one story and they are together, but every other movie after G2k isnt.

The reason they don't leave Japan is that they have no other place to go. Millions of people evacuating the country would over populated every other country if nothing else. Not to mention on Destroy All Monsters and the newest movie, Godzilla: Final Wars, monster attack other countries too. In GFW, Rodan attacks New York! Since they can't leave, they do the next best thing, get the best scientist and weapons to fight against him.

Ignore the strings, everyone who watches the movie for the first time are hurt by the obvious strings, but over time you get used to it. That's only on the American version of the DVD. The company that distributes the DVDs to America made the picture brighter, you can't see the strings in the Japanese version.

too bad all the Godzilla Forums on the Net have nothing but little Kids in them

But I get on Godzilla kicks its weird, the best godzilla movie is Megaguris I love that flick

If you want to buy new Godzilla movies, but don't want to pay shipping and handling, go to your local Suncoast Video store. The one at my local mall had Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah Giant Monsters All Out Attack! and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. Too bad I'm poor...

Suncoast? Never heard of it. I'm a Hollywood Video man myself :wink2:.

glad you are a Godzilla fanatic now! you can join the gojistomp forum and meet other godzilla fans.

I'll have to go there sometime :angry:

you are correct, every movie after Godzilla 2000 is like the last one never existed, except for Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. They are two parts of one story and they are together, but every other movie after G2k isnt.

Reminds me of James Bond with hundred-foot monsters.

The reason they don't leave Japan is that they have no other place to go. Millions of people evacuating the country would over populated every other country if nothing else. Not to mention on Destroy All Monsters and the newest movie, Godzilla: Final Wars, monster attack other countries too. In GFW, Rodan attacks New York! Since they can't leave, they do the next best thing, get the best scientist and weapons to fight against him.

So the Japanese people are forever cursed. What a good story!

Ignore the strings, everyone who watches the movie for the first time are hurt by the obvious strings, but over time you get used to it. That's only on the American version of the DVD. The company that distributes the DVDs to America made the picture brighter, you can't see the strings in the Japanese version.

I'm afraid I'll have to :blush:

Edited by sea trooper

:huh: :cheers: :angry: :blush:

I just saw the scene from Godzilla Final Wars with the american Godzilla! OMFG that was totally amazing! Though I was sad to see Amzilla get fried, it was the freaking coolest!!! Especially the song.... I cannot wait to see this movie! And I'm not waiting until the end of this year to get it. Even if I have to go to Japan I am getting the movie when it comes out there!

Here is the clip:

http://www.angelfire.com/pro2/gfwclips/GFWGodvsZilla2.mpg

COPY IT TO YOUR BROWSER. Clicking on it doesn't work!

Prepare to be amazed...

It takes a while to download though... But I can't close the page it's on. Every few minutes I watch it again and let out a cold yelp.

Edited by sea trooper

Holy Friggen Cow!! That was awesome, sea trooper, you were right about the music! And that was a great introduction for the American Godzilla, Jira.

Go to www.godzilla.co.jp for Toho's official page on Godzilla. You can either view it in its enterity in Japanese, with access to trailers and pictures, or you can read about it in english using the button at the bottom right of the page.

Edited by MrPsychic

it's been a couple of months since I have been to the official Godzilla website but as far as I remember, the English version of the site is very limited with less content. And you have to know Japanese to even navigate through the real website, I tried and I was lost. I just clicked a lot of buttons and hoped it went to something good.

There used to be a Godzilla website for America called www.godzilla.com but I haven't been there in a while and don't even remember what it looks like anymore. But some good websites about Godzilla are:

www.gojistomp.org- the best when it comes to meeting G fans. I've been there for two years and it's just terrific. Like dragonwrangler said, it has went down a little in quality with younger and younger people joining, but it is still a nice place to visit. They also have interesting history on the Godzilla suits and excellent, in depth, reviews on every Godzilla movie.

some other good websites are

www.tohokingdom.com

www.tokyomonsters.com

for the latest on Godzilla and othe monster news you need to check out Monster Zero. They have updated news all of the time. I don't remember the web address but just go to YAHOO! or Google and type Monster Zero and it will give you the link. :(

I'm not much of a Godzilla fan, but I watch it now and then if I see it on tv. As for the American Godzilla movie, utter rubish. I thought it was so boring. Not to mention that the whole movie reminded me of an extended version of the scene from the one Jurassic Park movie where the T-Rex was running around LA. (That part rocked because there were a couple Japanese business men running down the street yelling "Godzilla! Godzilla!"