Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

TiVo

My upgrades have continued and I'm really pleased with the results.

I have 3 TiVo's in my house right now, so far I've upgraded 2 of them and networked them into my home network. So I have 3 PC's and 2 TiVo's all hooked together (so far).

The cool thing about the upgrades I've installed is that I can record something in my Family Room then go to my bedroom and access the Family Room's TiVo and watch the show in my room and the same is true in reverse.

The only thing I hate about the network is crawling through the attic running network cables all over the place. I was in the Attic 2 nights ago and the electricity went out. I was pretty far into the attic too when it happened. This was at 9:30 at night so it was totally dark. After about 5 minutes of groping my way through the dark I finally got out lol. It's all worth it though.

Another feature that I love with TiVo is the online scheduling. I am always having people tell me about shows at work that they think I will like and with the online scheduling I can just turn around and login to the TiVo site, set up the recording and it will be downloaded and setup on my TiVo when it updates that day. It saves me from having to try to remember what the name of the show was when I get home hours later.

That is probably the coolest feature. I have done that alot.

ddillard, Tivo is a form of DVR. It is a DVR with the Tivo feature.

Edited by Data

I don't know but I wish he'd go away. I hate looking at that guy.....lol

Another feature that I love with TiVo is the online scheduling. I am always having people tell me about shows at work that they think I will like and with the online scheduling I can just turn around and login to the TiVo site, set up the recording and it will be downloaded and setup on my TiVo when it updates that day. It saves me from having to try to remember what the name of the show was when I get home hours later.

323345[/snapback]

I am aware that a TiVo is technically a DVR, but there are very few normal DVR boxes that have the same features so therefore I do classify them separately as I myself find a normal DVR to be an inferrior product in comparison with a TiVo Box.

323345[/snapback]

I am aware that a TiVo is technically a DVR, but there are very few normal DVR boxes that have the same features so therefore I do classify them separately as I myself find a normal DVR to be an inferrior product in comparison with a TiVo Box.

323380[/snapback]

Yeah, I believe a normal DVR without the service is more like a digital VCR where as a TiVo offers much more in terms of abilities like Season Passes and things of that nature.

Hmm, it seems that some of the cool stuff is DirecTV related. Season Passes is a DirecTV feature.

Here are the features available on our Cable system DVR:

• Record two shows at the same time

• Watch one show while recording another

• Record from your remote using the Interactive Program Guide (IPG)

• Store up to 50 hours of recorded programming.

• Pause Live TV!

• Watch two shows at once using Picture-in-Picture

• Record two live shows while watching a recorded one

• Record all episodes of your favorite program

• Create your own instant replays

• Reverse live TV and recorded programs

• Fast forward recorded programs

• Slow motion

http://www.cox.com/sandiego/dvr/

Hmm, it seems that some of the cool stuff is DirecTV related. Season Passes is a DirecTV feature.

324615[/snapback]

Any TiVo DVR includes Season Pass ability, not just DirecTV Tivo's.

Here are the features available on our Cable system DVR:

• Record two shows at the same time

• Watch one show while recording another

• Record from your remote using the Interactive Program Guide (IPG)

• Store up to 50 hours of recorded programming.

• Pause Live TV!

• Watch two shows at once using Picture-in-Picture

• Record two live shows while watching a recorded one

• Record all episodes of your favorite program

• Create your own instant replays

• Reverse live TV and recorded programs

• Fast forward recorded programs

• Slow motion

http://www.cox.com/sandiego/dvr/

324632[/snapback]

Does your cable system use TiVo for their DVR's? All of the above features are exactly what TiVo offers and are some of the things I love. My first TiVo was a 35 hour box but I replaced the 40 Gig hard drive with a 250 GB drive to upgrade it to a 200+ hour drive. Also, are you able to network multiple boxes so that you can access any of the DVR's from any of the other DVR's in other rooms?

Any TiVo DVR includes Season Pass ability, not just DirecTV Tivo's.

You can get Season Passes without Tivo. I believe it is thru the sattlelite service. At least that is how it is advertised.

Edited by Data

From what I've read on a few TiVo message boards and from what my brother has told me about his stand alone TiVo I was under the impression that Season Passes are universal to all TiVo boxes with or without sattlelite service. I may have the wrong impression but I'll ask the specific question to my brother to be sure.

OK, I was getting Season Pass mixed up with Sports Pass, Sports Pass is a DirecTV Feature. Season Pass is a Tivo feature.  http://www.tivo.com/1.2.1.asp

324820[/snapback]

Oh ok, that's an easy thing to get mixed up with. You are correct with respect to the sports packages, at least the NFL Sunday Ticket anyway. That's the only sports package I'm familiar with anyway.

As a side note I called DirecTV today and found out that it's only going to cost me $50 to get a second dish put on my roof so I can add 5 more TiVo's to my current setup. Then I'll have 8 total TiVo's with dual tuners (16 total lines). With all of that there's nothing I'll miss and if I do miss something then it's my own fault lol.

As a side note I called DirecTV today and found out that it's only going to cost me $50 to get a second dish put on my roof so I can add 5 more TiVo's to my current setup. Then I'll have 8 total TiVo's with dual tuners (16 total lines). With all of that there's nothing I'll miss and if I do miss something then it's my own fault lol.

324857[/snapback]

:waaaa: :blink: That is a lot of lines!

TiVo does sound interesting, but biggest problem for me is that I do not watch TV that often. Outside of the DVDs or VHSs we have here, and of course occasionally catching a tv show or two.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Yeah, that is a lot of lines to have run and believe it or not I actually don't watch a lot of TV myself. My main goal for having all of those lines and TiVo's is really just for use during 5 months out of the year, September through January. That's NFL season of course. I intend on recording every single game of the 2005 season.

Yeah, that is a lot of lines to have run and believe it or not I actually don't watch a lot of TV myself. My main goal for having all of those lines and TiVo's is really just for use during 5 months out of the year, September through January. That's NFL season of course. I intend on recording every single game of the 2005 season.

324945[/snapback]

:blink: What was the limit of lines for one dish again?

Edited by Data

324945[/snapback]

:blink: What was the limit of lines for one dish again?

324970[/snapback]

From what DirecTV told me 10 lines is the limit for one dish, that would cover 5 Dual Tuner TiVo's.

Well I've gotten 2 more TiVo's. 1 of them is a standalone that will record over the air TV or cable and the other one is another DirecTV Tivo. Now I just need 4 more to complete my network.

I've also figured out how to make my TiVo record from a VCR, DVD player or another TiVo.

For anyone thinking of getting a TiVo but are a little put off by the price of the box you can get a free TiVo box if you pay for 1 year of service in advance, which is $155.40. With that you get a free 40 hour TiVo which would cost $200 in the stores on top of the $155.40.

Here's a link:

http://www.tivo.com/0.10.partner.offer.asp?p=save150

You have to do it by July 17th though, so if you want it you better go get it.

We finally made a decision on this; we're going with the Cox DVR. Its cost is only $10 more a month added to our bill so that makes it the cheapest option for us.

An added bonus is this: since we've also decided to stop renting and purchase our ISP modem, the $1O a month we were spending on the modem will now go towards the DVR so it will be like getting DVR for free once the modem is paid off.

I finally broke down and modified my 40 hr tivo. I replaced the 40 gig (40 hr) hard drive and replaced it with my 120 gig (147 hr) hard drive. It took alot longer to move everything from one hard drive to another, but it is definitely worth it to have the added space.

We finally made a decision on this; we're going with the Cox DVR. Its cost is only $10 more a month added to our bill so that makes it the cheapest option for us.

An added bonus is this: since we've also decided to stop renting and purchase our ISP modem, the $1O a month we were spending on the modem will now go towards the DVR so it will be like getting DVR for free once the modem is paid off.

337306[/snapback]

That's great, I KNOW that you will love it. You'll wonder how you ever watched TV without it.

Be sure to keep us posted on how you like it once you get it. And if by chance you don't like it... don't blame me... blame ddillard... :rolleyes::laugh:

I finally broke down and modified my 40 hr tivo.  I replaced the 40 gig (40 hr) hard drive and replaced it with my 120 gig (147 hr) hard drive.  It took alot longer to move everything from one hard drive to another, but it is definitely worth it to have the added space.

337573[/snapback]

It's great having all that extra space isn't it? WHat method did you use to upgrade it?

337306[/snapback]

That's great, I KNOW that you will love it. You'll wonder how you ever watched TV without it.

Be sure to keep us posted on how you like it once you get it. And if by chance you don't like it... don't blame me... blame ddillard... :laugh::rolleyes:

I don't think that he will have any way to hate it, It is very addictive.

I finally broke down and modified my 40 hr tivo.  I replaced the 40 gig (40 hr) hard drive and replaced it with my 120 gig (147 hr) hard drive.  It took alot longer to move everything from one hard drive to another, but it is definitely worth it to have the added space.

337573[/snapback]

It's great having all that extra space isn't it? WHat method did you use to upgrade it?

337581[/snapback]

I just got a copy of mfstools from weaknees.com and did the upgrade. It does not give me the extra tweaks that I want like the ftp and such like yours has, but it at least let me have the bigger drive. I figure in a month or two after I settle a few debts I will get another hard drive maybe a 250 gig and try to do it in another way, I might just buy another tivo on ebay to do that with that way if I mess up I will still have my one tivo.

Don't worry Dill you're safe, we're sure we are gonna love it.

The need for one best manifested itself this past Forth; Martha was trying to watch a movie but I kept calling for her to help me with the BBQ, sensing her exasperation I said: You know if we had a DVR you could pause that movie. She said immediately: Find out how much it is! :laugh: I called the next day and ended up ordering it, it comes in the mail tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I know you'll love it (if it's anything like my TiVo boxes). I greatly look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Over the holiday weekend I bought a Standalone TiVo that will record over the air and cable as well as another DirecTV TiVo and just this afternoon I won an auction for a used DirecTV TiVo on eBay so I only need 3 more to complete my "collection".

I called the next day and ended up ordering it, it comes in the mail tomorrow.  :)

337611[/snapback]

Any thoughts on your DVR so far?

338398[/snapback]

:) I wish I had some thoughts to share about it.

See here's the deal; it did not arrive on the day the cable company told me it would so I called the next day, they said; Oh we're sorry, UPS sometimes changes the delivery schedule without notice; it'll come on (this) Monday. So here I sit drooling and waiting till tomorrow... thanks for asking though.

If all goes as I've last been told it will I should have some thoughts about it ready by at least Wed...