Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Is there anyone of the same opinion as me?

Is there anyone of the same opinion as me regarding Enterprise?

I have been a Trek fan since before TNG aired and have always loved the classic episodes as my favourites. During the 90's I really got into TNG and enjoyed this show very much, a classic in its own right.

By the time DS9 and Voyager came out I began to lose interest and my interest in the franchise waned. I still must have seen all the episodes of these two shows over the years but I was never excited enough to book a place in the day to sit down and watch television of that single purpose.

Then came Enterprise. For the first time since TNG I was really hooked and could not wait for the next episode to come out. The stories seemed much more exciting by characterisation being more subtle and level of action upped similar to that in the original series. We also saw some of the more extreme aliens from the first series and this again added to the level of interest.

I really like TNG too, but since Enterprise has been around I've lost interest in Star Trek. I think ENT takes the "mick" out of Star Trek as we know it, it's too modern, a big change.

No, I do not agree with you.

While I loved TOS and all the original cast movies and TNG has a very special place in my heart, I am a total DS9 freak. Voyager was only o.k., but for me DS9 is the uberTrek. All that political intrigue, indepth looks at Bajorans, Cardassians, Klingons, Vorta, The Founders, Trill .... it gave me what I had been missing from both TOS and TNG -- the whole story and not just glancing looks at other species.

I lost interest in Trek with Enterprise ... if they were going to do a prequel, why did they have to make the sets look so much more futuristic than the sets of TOS? The Klingons should have looked like the Klingons on the original series, the uniforms should have looked less Voyager/DS9/TNG and more like the original series. I found the premise moderately interesting, but the way it was presented just kept me in a perpetual state of eye-rolling.

Sorry. DS9 was Trek at its zenith for me ... after that it's hard to watch anything else Trek.

I'm pretty much with you. I've been watching Star Trek since TOS started in 1966, and to me Enterprise was everything Star Trek was meant to be. this show was never really given a chance. I remember people were bashing the show before it even aired! Alot of folks just did not like the idea of doing a prequel so from the start they spewed their hatred for the show.To me there was not one thing that made it any different from the other Star Trek shows.

I really hope they don't do any more Star Trek for a few years, 3 years at the least. Putting a new show on any sooner and it will be bashed as Enterprise was.

I only watched Enterprise in the Beginning cause I was curious about it after all I grew up with the reruns of TOS and the Syndication of the other spinoffs hadn't planned on watching Enterprise in the Beginnning but slowly liked the series the opening song and montage to flying machines leading up to NX-01 was more into TNG alittle DS9 and certainly liked Voyager till Enterprise came along.

:P :dude: :huh: :P

No, I do not agree with you.

I lost interest in Trek with Enterprise ... if they were going to do a prequel, why did they have to make the sets look so much more futuristic than the sets of TOS?  The Klingons should have looked like the Klingons on the original series, the uniforms should have looked less Voyager/DS9/TNG and more like the original series.  I found the premise moderately interesting, but the way it was presented just kept me in a perpetual state of eye-rolling.

Sorry.  DS9 was Trek at its zenith for me ... after that it's hard to watch anything else Trek.

303946[/snapback]

I totally agree with this point

I am completely with you. I feel the same way about Enterprise. I had even just recently bought a TiVo so that I could make sure that I did not miss Enterprise if I did not happen to be able to get to the TV in time for the airing.

I was brought into Trek by TNG. I have not seen many episodes of TOS at all. I watched the first couple of seasons of DS9 and they bored me to be honest so I stopped watching. I don't think we got Voyager in my area or if we did it was one of those late night things so I only started watching it in syndication. I enjoy Voyager more than DS9. Enterprise has really brought back my enthusiam for the franchise. It was a distant second favourite in the beginning but has moved closer to TNG this season in my heart.

Enterprise isn't my favourite series (TNG holds that title for me) but I really do enjoy watching it. Before it started I never had a chance to follow a Trek series from the beginning, and I've enjoyed it. Reflecting back on its past episodes, they did some pretty good ones.

I go with the topic starter and others - TNG was best but Enterprise has me hooked and could catch up fast if allowed to continue. I too lost a lot of interest with DS9 and Voyager.

I too was also a pre-TNG trekkie (since the early 70's) and was originaly excited about ENTERPRISE before it aired. I thought it was a great opportunity to bridge the gap toward TOS by meeting the same TOS aliens etc. Altho I have always liked the show most of the series let me down as far as that was concerned. However this season has been fantastic. I can't wait for the Klingon Episode tonight and I'm really excited about the "Mirror" story arc (especially Hoshi as the Capt's woman) and now it's going to end :waaaa: Better to have had enterprise for 4 seasons and loose it than never to have had it at all. :P

Edited by SpaceHippie

I've been a fan of Star Trek for as long as I can remember, my friends and I used to pretend we were Kirk, Spock and McCoy. We'd crawl under the beds to "work on the engines" and the front porch was the Transporter (we had 6 slabs of granite that acted as the transporter pads). I even had walkie talkies that looked like TOS communicators and a flashlight that looked like a TOS phaser. After an episode was over I'd always think "Wow, that was cool!" no matter how many times I saw it.

When TNG came out my entire family was anxious to see how the "new series" would be and if they'd just kind of just live off of TOS's success and legacy. I remember my whole family sitting in the living room watching it and when it was over I thought "Wow, that was cool!"

When DS9 came out I remember thinking "How could they make a Star Trek that's not on a ship?!?" Then the night it came on my father and I watched it and I thought "Wow, that was cool!" It quickly became my favorite series of the franchise.

When Voyager came out I wasn't all that excited because I was still basking in the "DS9 glow" and I thought that the concept of being stranded and constantly trying to get home was a little "over done" with other kinds of shows like Sliders and Quantum Leap and a couple of others. I also thought that the way they hyped the fact that the Cpt was a woman was a bit over blown.

The show was good but after a few episodes I lost interest, I really didn't like the whole Kazon arc to the first few years and the idea that they'd make a charater that only has a 4 or 5 year lifespan (or whatever her lifespan was) was just shortsighted to me.

I think the last episode that I watched in it's first run was the one where Voyager has to land on a planet and the Kazon abandon them. I remember hearing talk at that time of canceling the show but didn't really care for it and it just didn't matter to me if they did or not. After I watched the first episode I remember thinking "Meh, it was ok."

When I learned of Enterprise I was curious to see how they would "go back in time". After watching Broken Bow (2 times in a row) I once again thought "Wow, That was cool!"

I like all the Star Trek series, with TOS being my favorite. My sister and I watched the original shows together, and that provides additional memories. I liked TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT. I have things I do not like about ENT, but not enough to not support it.

I have liked the stories this season, and found the one today full of tension and suspense.....interesting and exciting all around. I like having some new stories, and while there are still some episodes of DS9 I have not seen, I am saddened by the cancellation.

I very much agreee with you. Although I loved DS9 and Voyager. ENT reminds me more TOS than any other. Explore the Galaxy, the captain gets the girl and we shoot the alien. Not to sound simplistic but I love the show. More unknown in this show than known.

I was 7 years old when I saw Star Wars. It was, for many like myself, a watershed experience. It lead to other science fiction and fantasy interests. About the time I was 10 or 11 years old, I started watching TOS, which was in syndication. I believe that I ended up seeing pretty much all of the original episodes.

And then came The Next Generation. I began watching the show from its very beginning and I never missed an episode. It is for me, still, my favorite Trek program.

I tuned in to DS9, but a move to another town in the middle of the 4th season took me out of the loop. I saw bits and pieces of Voyager, and thought it was alright. I didn't get to see enough to be able to make a real hard judgement on either of these shows.

As for Enterprise. Man, I've been enjoying this show from the get go. I've heard all of the complaints and thought, to each his own. But some of the more persistent ones, like the sets... The show was written to be in the very near future. Like in the next 120 or 130 years, as I gathered. Why wouldn't the sets not look to far from what we might see now. As I see it, the sets and the technology that they represent, would naturally progress from what we see in Enterprise, to TOS, to TNG. As for the uniforms... I always thought that the uniforms were more in keeping with the fact that there is still a strong military presence involved in starfleet. It is not yet the arm of the Federation ('cause there isn't a federation just yet). The uniforms look like something that could be used in current NASA missions.

Truthfully, I think that there was enough bitterness and derision aimed at this show before it ever got off the ground. And yes, I'm speaking about the bashers. I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there seemed to be this gleeful abandon when it came to this show. Rather than offering up inteligent opinion or suggestion, there was this totally destructive attitude. As if they could destroy the show by ill will alone. I thought it was all pretty sad. I guess you can't please everybody.

I'll be the first to admit that the show wasn't perfect. And I challenge anyone to produce a perfect Trek show from the very beginning. Which Trek show didn't have a stellar beginning, but got better with time? Enterprise was the same, it had been getting better. This season alone has been a complete and total joy to watch.

Needless to say, I will be very disappointed to see the show go off the air in May. I will always feel that this program went before its time.

Basically No to the original question.

It's kind of hard to compare TOS to subsequent series because the shows were made in different eras and reflect the culture of that day. TOS will always be my favorite.

Here's where it gets hard. TNG was a good show and I watched it faithfully but it never grabbed me. DS9 I really think had the best writers and plots - it would have that "aahh" feeling you get at the end of a really powerful dramatic piece. However, I never got attached to any of the characters. The VOY characters were by far my favorite of the latter series and I miss them and there were some powerful episodes - they usually involved the Doctor. ENT was a mixed bag - I thought the premise was great but didn't like some of the characters and basically found everyone way too whiney at first. It's gone in such directions now that I wonw't miss it at all.

I TOTALLY agree with you.

I fell in love with star trek when I was a kid watching TNG. Though I did watch DS9 and VOY all the way through, they were never Next Gen enough for me. Then came Enterprise. From the very first season I felt this series had the great characters, the potential to be as good as TNG. And it's just gotten better and better. I love the show. I love it. I'd say it's tied for being my favourite series.

I have a few theories on why trek fans seem to be down on Enterprise:

1) They can't get past the non-instrumental themesong. "Faith of the Heart" was an interesting and risky choice. I admit, I was weary of it at first. But it grew on me and now I like it.

2) They assume (incorrectly) that a prequel will be full of stuff that contradicts other series. Bull Funky I tell you. Enterprise has no more contradictions than any other series. In fact, they're now making an effort to explain contadictions between other series (ie: ridges vs no ridges).

3) They dislike the ridiculous decontamination process in which crewmembers must rub each other with lotion while in their underwear. No argument here. But anyone who says that some of Star Trek isn't just sexual eye candy has never seen 7 of 9, Troi's Farpoint cheerleading outfit, any TOS episode where Kirk gets the girl. Besides, when was the last time they used the thing? Probably the last time you watched, 3 years ago.

4) They think that the sets should be less futuristic looking than TOS. Yes, we should definitely make a retro 1860s bridge. NOT. Come on people! The stuff we have now is more futuristic looking than TOS stuff. I feel like the Enterprise provides a nice segway between the technology of today and the technology of TOS. Or we could have the characters use 8-track tapes and do their hair in beehives.

Edited by Essoq

1) They can't get past the non-instrumental themesong.  "Faith of the Heart" was an interesting and risky choice.  I admit, I was weary of it at first.  But it grew on me and now I like it.

304766[/snapback]

I'm one of those who couldn't get past that horrid theme song. I was so completely turned off by it that we had trouble sitting through it long enough to get to the show. :yahoo:

4) They think that the sets should be less futuristic looking than TOS.  Yes, we should definitely make a retro 1860s bridge.  NOT.  Come on people!  The stuff we have now is more futuristic looking than TOS stuff. 

304766[/snapback]

Which is precisely why they should never have tried to do a "prequel" to TOS. Nothing they created for the sets was going to look "bad" enough to predate Kirk, unless they opted to go completely retro and get those guys who did "Trials and Tribbleations" for DS9 to design the sets.

To me, retro sets would have been less risky than some stupid "boy-band" sounding piece-of-schlock theme song.

I thing Enterprise is watchable but it's certianly not the best Trek series imo. I hate that it's being cancelled but I think that some of the blame rests on the writers and UPN. I think DS9 was the best trek show. As for contradicitons all of the shows had some but I think I ENT either had more or in some ways it didn't flow well into TOS storyline. This is due to bad storywriting or arrogance perhaps both.

4) They think that the sets should be less futuristic looking than TOS.  Yes, we should definitely make a retro 1860s bridge.  NOT.  Come on people!  The stuff we have now is more futuristic looking than TOS stuff.  I feel like the Enterprise provides a nice segway between the technology of today and the technology of TOS.  Or we could have the characters use 8-track tapes and do their hair in beehives.

304766[/snapback]

I completely agree with this. I have often heard claims that Star Trek fans are on the average brighter than the general public. (I think Star Trek fans are like everybody else..but I have heard this..).

Why is it such a struggle for folks to accept a prequel where the technolgy looks like things we have today, which look better than what Kirk had on his Enterprise? Why is this such an intellectual stretch?

4) They think that the sets should be less futuristic looking than TOS.  Yes, we should definitely make a retro 1860s bridge.  NOT.  Come on people!  The stuff we have now is more futuristic looking than TOS stuff.  I feel like the Enterprise provides a nice segway between the technology of today and the technology of TOS.  Or we could have the characters use 8-track tapes and do their hair in beehives.

304766[/snapback]

I completely agree with this. I have often heard claims that Star Trek fans are on the average brighter than the general public. (I think Star Trek fans are like everybody else..but I have heard this..).

Why is it such a struggle for folks to accept a prequel where the technolgy looks like things we have today, which look better than what Kirk had on his Enterprise? Why is this such an intellectual stretch?

306144[/snapback]

It's not an "intellectual stretch," it's just annoying and distracting.

304766[/snapback]

306144[/snapback]

I agree with you mj. For me these are just minor issues that were necessary for the show to be made on a practical level.

4) They think that the sets should be less futuristic looking than TOS.  Yes, we should definitely make a retro 1860s bridge.

304766[/snapback]

Actually, that's basically the premise of Steam Trek, where great Ætherships traverse the solar-system to expand the reaches of the U.K.P., under the leadership of the part-technological Queen Victoria of British-dominated Earth.
Click For Spoiler
2226536.jpg

aetff.gif

post-812-1095566621.gif Edited by DrWho42

And mine is totally different also!

I thought Trek was at its peak when TNG and DS9 were around(it took me several years to appreciate Ds9 though) With Voayer it became Campy again but with Enterprise its just plain unwatchable. As i have said before i am not sad to see it cancelled and that without a Trek show the memory lives on.So when it comes back we will be gratful for the show/movie. We are too spoiled now having Trek for the last couple of years (has to been almost 18yrs i think,since 1987)

i love tng and ds9 and voyager. only thing idin't like ds9 later on was like wacthing a soap . i only saw tos on videos it better good. i think enterprsie was walk on a thinline it had to morden but not to mordern to over shodow tos. only way i would lose inrest in trek if the do trek reality show pick some trekkies and trekkers live to live house to compete for mystery prize

1) They can't get past the non-instrumental themesong.  "Faith of the Heart" was an interesting and risky choice.  I admit, I was weary of it at first.  But it grew on me and now I like it.

304766[/snapback]

Answer: not so...i loved the theme song instead of the instrumental theme...when the word was out that a new Star Trek show was in the making..I was very excited..when they said it was gonna be a prequel..again i was very excited..the idea that it would be very contempory with stuff we haven't scene yet was very exciting..an era before the Federation...the show was suppose to be about Mankinds struggle to catch up (in technology and other ways) with our intersteller partners.

2) They assume (incorrectly) that a prequel will be full of stuff that contradicts other series.  Bull Funky I tell you.  Enterprise has no more contradictions than any other series.  In fact, they're now making an effort to explain contadictions between other series (ie: ridges vs no ridges).

304766[/snapback]

Answer: totally wrong...I assumed that as a prequel it wouldn't contradict other series(canon)....and was very disappointed and upset when it did....for 3 seasons! from the very first show.  Many of these contradictions center around technology...transporters, photo-torpedos, replicators, phasors, tri-corders(the size) The story is King..that's the golden rule of movie making/good TV.....B & B were burnt out on Startrek writing and wanted to try something more "risky" which was good! I love the decon chamber, Love the super-model Jolene Blalock..the age/gender of the target audiance is no longer children.....it's high time we have more mature content in Star Trek.. But it's still star trek....and a pre-quel...so ignoring everything TOS...because it was writen before you (B & :) were old enough to write for your HS newpaper let alone pen a episode of enterprise..is just bad! So then you try to make up for bad storytelling by giving the audiance ....the flashy visual effects( phasors, proton torpedoes) but all that just made the problem worse in my opinion.  And now, this season ...yes...the stories are great...and the direction is toward TOS...I love these stories ....atleast now we know what happened to the Klingon's ridges .

3) They dislike the ridiculous decontamination process in which crewmembers must rub each other with lotion while in their underwear.  No argument here.  But anyone who says that some of Star Trek isn't just sexual eye candy has never seen 7 of 9, Troi's Farpoint cheerleading outfit, any TOS episode where Kirk gets the girl.  Besides, when was the last time they used the thing? Probably the last time you watched, 3 years ago.

304766[/snapback]

Answer: I love the decon chamber...but yes...it's pretty silly...to have those cool space-suits then not use them, hence requiring a rub down....but hell, if i was going on an away mission with T'pol......(I'd opt out of wearing the suit too..)

304766[/snapback]

Answer: yes, the set department should strive to show the technology evolving toward the basic geometry of TOS.. that doesn't mean painted monitor screens, but it would be nice to see some of those little data-disks, and the clip-board, and some of the computer sounds would be nice too, No the wild colors(orange,red) doesn't need to be repeated and some-how the storylike should come up with an explaination as to why jumpsuits were replaced with "mini-skirts" for the ladies...it's a matter of canon...and it's a military thing...the uniform 100 years later will be mini-skirts.

Note: I only fixed up the quote feature - no editing to actual post.

Takara

Edited by Takara_Soong

304766[/snapback]

Answer: not so...i loved the theme song instead of the instrumental theme...when the word was out that a new Star Trek show was in the making..I was very excited..when they said it was gonna be a prequel..again i was very excited..the idea that it would be very contempory with stuff we haven't scene yet was very exciting..an era before the Federation...the show was suppose to be about Mankinds struggle to catch up (in technology and other ways) with our intersteller partners.

2) They assume (incorrectly) that a prequel will be full of stuff that contradicts other series.  Bull Funky I tell you.  Enterprise has no more contradictions than any other series.  In fact, they're now making an effort to explain contadictions between other series (ie: ridges vs no ridges).

304766[/snapback]

Answer: totally wrong...I assumed that as a prequel it wouldn't contradict other series(canon)....and was very disappointed and upset when it did....for 3 seasons! from the very first show. Many of these contradictions center around technology...transporters, photo-torpedos, replicators, phasors, tri-corders(the size) The story is King..that's the golden rule of movie making/good TV.....B & B were burnt out on Startrek writing and wanted to try something more "risky" which was good! I love the decon chamber, Love the super-model Jolene Blalock..the age/gender of the target audiance is no longer children.....it's high time we have more mature content in Star Trek.. But it's still star trek....and a pre-quel...so ignoring everything TOS...because it was writen before you (B & :P were old enough to write for your HS newpaper let alone pen a episode of enterprise..is just bad! So then you try to make up for bad storytelling by giving the audiance ....the flashy visual effects( phasors, proton torpedoes) but all that just made the problem worse in my opinion. And now, this season ...yes...the stories are great...and the direction is toward TOS...I love these stories ....atleast now we know what happened to the Klingon's ridges .

3) They dislike the ridiculous decontamination process in which crewmembers must rub each other with lotion while in their underwear.  No argument here.  But anyone who says that some of Star Trek isn't just sexual eye candy has never seen 7 of 9, Troi's Farpoint cheerleading outfit, any TOS episode where Kirk gets the girl.  Besides, when was the last time they used the thing? Probably the last time you watched, 3 years ago.

304766[/snapback]

Answer: I love the decon chamber...but yes...it's pretty silly...to have those cool space-suits then not use them, hence requiring a rub down....but hell, if i was going on an away mission with T'pol......(I'd opt out of wearing the suit too..)

304766[/snapback]

Answer: yes, the set department should strive to show the technology evolving toward the basic geometry of TOS.. that doesn't mean painted monitor screens, but it would be nice to see some of those little data-disks, and the clip-board, and some of the computer sounds would be nice too, No the wild colors(orange,red) doesn't need to be repeated and some-how the storylike should come up with an explaination as to why jumpsuits were replaced with "mini-skirts" for the ladies...it's a matter of canon...and it's a military thing...the uniform 100 years later will be mini-skirts.

307030[/snapback]

or scott backlua is jinxs becuce his last popualar tv show was on didn't last etheir it was quntam leap it was cancledd too

or scott backlua is jinxs becuce his last popualar tv show was on didn't last etheir it was quntam leap it was cancledd too

Actually, Quantum Leap was a critically acclaimed TV show, and part of the reason it survived possible cancellations was because the critics liked it, and TV Guide ran a very successful "The Best TV shows You're Not Watching" campaign to save it and other shows.

Also, it was nominated for many emmy's for writing and acting.

Is there anyone of the same opinion as me regarding Enterprise?

Then came Enterprise. For the first time since TNG I was really hooked and could not wait for the next episode to come out. The stories seemed much more exciting by characterisation being more subtle and level of action upped similar to that in the original series. We also saw some of the more extreme aliens from the first series and this again added to the level of interest.

303941[/snapback]

Same here TM. I like all Trek but not since TOS had I buzzed both before and after watching a new episode of ENT. It was dynamic from the start and I am very sorry to see it go before fully achieving its promise.

It'll be back someday though, (thank goodness) if not in new episodes then I'm sure the day will come when some of the great Trek authors will pick it up where it left off...