Sign in to follow this  
Gotabite

Seven vs Annika Hansen

:borg: There is a comment on the Voyager Message board on startrek.com that I wonder how it would be responded to if it was placed here. The comemnt is that Seven of Nine should have gone back to using the name Annika Hansen; and that she should have had her eye piece removed. :o

From reading the responses on that web site it seemed like most agreed with the writer.

I don't know how most here feel. But Seven didn't remember much about being Annika. Her primary memories were of being Borg. So I found it hard to beieve that none of the comments I read took into consideration that you can't go back to something or embrace something you have yet to identify with. Even in the last episodes of Voyager, where Seven had come such a long way the name she could most identify with still, was the name she'd been called most of her life........And about the eye piece, as I recall it would have killed her to have had it removed. :idea: :borg:

Regarding Seven's "eye piece": it's true that it couldn't be removed without killing her. That's because it wasn't an eye piece, it was a cortical implant, which controlled all of her central nervous system functions. I remember an episode where her cortical implant began to fail, and Seven was dying. Janeway tried everything to find a replacement for her, even going to a destroyed Borg ship and taking one from a dead drone. At the end, Echep (sp?) almost kills himself by removing his own implant so he can donate it to Seven. I forget the name of the episode...

Regarding Seven's "eye piece": it's true that it couldn't be removed without killing her.  That's because it wasn't an eye piece, it was a cortical implant, which controlled all of her central nervous system functions.  I remember an episode where her cortical implant began to fail, and Seven was dying.  Janeway tried everything to find a replacement for her, even going to a destroyed Borg ship and taking one from a dead drone.  At the end, Echep (sp?) almost kills himself by removing his own implant so he can donate it to Seven.  I forget the name of the episode...

:borg: The episode was called "Imperfection," a very powerful episode......one in which Seven recognizes a lot about herself as an individual, and comes to accept Icheb's caring and concern about her. By the way, do you think Seven should change her name back to Annika? :borg: :idea:

:borg: I'm glad that Seven didn't change her name to Annika. She was only Annika for about 5 years oppoesed to the 20 she was a borg. Plus even with all the progress she made at the end she was still more borg then human. :borg:

I'm glad Seven kept her Borg name. I agree that you can't just go back and relive the past. She was Seven for most of what she remembers. She doesn't even remember most of being Annika. When she was first adopted by Captain Janeway, she didn't want to be Human. Retaining her Borg name was a last way to defy Janeway and "stay Borg." By the time she started to embrace her Human side, the crew was already used to calling her Seven. Plus, it's the name she'd been called for most of her life. It would be hard to change after twenty-some years.

As for the eye piece, I think it was left there because it was an integral part of her body systems. Something that couldn't be removed, or, I'm sure the Doctor would have removed it. Besides, she looks way too cool with it on to get rid of it. ^-^;;

Here's a Seven question. Do you think she should have worn a Starfleet uniform? In "Human Error," she expressed an interest in wearing one. She looked pretty nice in one. I didn't much like those tight suits she was always wearing. I think a uniform would have been a nice change.

I know the actress did not like wearing the cat suit. SHe hated it.

Seven did the right thing in keeping her name as it was. If she ahd changed it, she would have been giving up too much of her identity too fast.

I loved her character. There was jsut so much to do with her! so many things for her to learn about and explore. It was great to watch.

If you notice in each incarnation of Trek, there is always one character struggling to be more human or trying to fit in with them better.

Spock, T'pol, Data, Odo and Seven.

Of all of them, only Seven could truly become human (except for that time they made Odo human for a while) I liked that.

Here's a Seven question.  Do you think she should have worn a Starfleet uniform?  In "Human Error," she expressed an interest in wearing one.  She looked pretty nice in one.  I didn't much like those tight suits she was always wearing.  I think a uniform would have been a nice change.

B) You know the catsuit versus the uniform is an interesting and controversial question. Personally, I thought Seven became as much a part of the crew as B'Ellanna, Tom, Chakotay, etc. Janeway depended on her analysis of all kinds of data. Also the MaQuis certainly became a part of the crew when they came aboard the ship. Yes, in my opinion Seven should have become a star fleet officer, and been given a uniform B) ..............And, as was on another post...I am aware that Jerri Ryan did not like the cat suits.

It's also great to see the comments that have taken ino consideration Seven's identity as Borg out weighing her sudden entry into human culture. I don't know yet where the new book about Voyager takes Seven. But surely while Voyager was still in space, and Seven was still recovering from her life in the collective, she could not have embraced the name Annika with much enthusiasm. :(

I AGREE WITH EVERTHING ON THIS. HER NAME OF SEVEN WAS WHAT SHE WAS USE TO. THE SUITS, WELL THAT WAS THE ONLY THING SHE HATED ABOUT HER WORK ON VOY. AS FAR AS THE UNIFORM WELL, STARFLEET REG. SAYS NO NO TO NON-COMMISSIONED PERSONAL. :)

hands down she should've kept her name what it was. she fought being "human" for quite a while as i recall, so why would she take her human name.

Yes, you are correct. Seven of Nine could not go back to being Annika Hansen because she didn't remember who that person was.

Another point: It would have suited 7 of 9 if she wore a Starfleet Uniform instead of the catsuit. By wearing a Starfleet Uniform, Seven would have been taken more seriously than she actually was.

Yes, you are correct. Seven of Nine could not go back to being Annika Hansen because she didn't remember who that person was.

Another point:  It would have suited 7 of 9 if she wore a Starfleet Uniform instead of the catsuit. By wearing a Starfleet Uniform, Seven would have been taken more seriously than she actually was.

I agrree with you. Also my faith has been restored in good judgement......as the comments here are certainly different than they were on startrek .com I really didn't understand how anyone could have the logic that a woman who had identified herself as being Borg, and could only remember herself by the name Seven of Nine, could suddenly accept an identity that someone told her that she used to be. :dude:

Another point:  It would have suited 7 of 9 if she wore a Starfleet Uniform instead of the catsuit. By wearing a Starfleet Uniform, Seven would have been taken more seriously than she actually was.

I agrree with you. Also my faith has been restored in good judgement......as the comments here are certainly different than they were on startrek .com I really didn't understand how anyone could have the logic that a woman who had identified herself as being Borg, and could only remember herself by the name Seven of Nine, could suddenly accept an identity that someone told her that she used to be. :dude:

:dude:I agree Seven of Nine 's memery keeped her from beeing Annika Hansen.

:dude:I agree Seven of Nine 's memery keeped her from beeing Annika Hansen.

I understand why Seven would want to keep the name Seven as her 'official' name. Number One she was taken from the society she was raised up and forced to change due to the fact that humans find that the Borg are currupt, which is true, but her heart still was with the Borg for several times and it was imensly difficult for her to change her old habbits. If the story was real I think that Seven later on while being on Earth for so long and familar with friends would be later on called, Annika. Names are not just something that people toss around, it implies signifcant meaning to a persons personality and characteristics, going back to Annika would mean that she has fullly accepted her role in human culuture and completely forget about the Borg. In her case her past was Borg and she just wants a little bit of their perfection in her, if she forgets 'Seven' she might also forget that guy in UniMatrix Zero.

Voyager :dude: Borg

Seven

if she forgets 'Seven' she might also forget that guy in UniMatrix Zero.

Voyager :grin: Borg

Seven

B) I think she forgot the guy in Unimatrix Zero anyway once she became involved with Chakotay. B)

i read in a chat interview transcript that Jeri ryan liked the blue and grey catsuit ... maybe Seven didn't want a Starfleet uniform; she was fresh out of the Borg, and possibly had too much to identify with as it was ... maybe she had never been exposed to Starfleet, as had many (all?) of the Maquis, and that was the deciding factor on the uni.

I agree with many of these comments and the closest analogy that I can come up with are individuals that were kidnapped when they were young. I have read many studies concerning people that were kidnapped at an early age and raised by his/her abductor. Then after many years the abductor and the child were found and the child was returned to their birth family and the child refused to respond to the name that had originally been given to them and insisted on maintaining the name that the abductor had given to him/her because to them they were not John (birth name) they were Harry (Name given by abductor) because they had little or no memory of the time before the abduction. In the studies it is recommended that the birth parents use the name the child is comfortable and in many cases the name is legally changed to avoid causing any further trauma to the child's psyche.

Well, she has to choose what name she want to keep.. And if she choose 7, well better to go with that name.

Like the doctor.. Which never really find a name to suit him (only in the "hypothetical" ending of VOY)

And for the uniform... I hated the cat suit she had to wear....

And a uniform would really shows that she would be a member of the crew.

I agree with many of these comments and the closest analogy that I can come up with are individuals that were kidnapped when they were young.  I have read many studies concerning people that were kidnapped at an early age and raised by his/her abductor.  Then after many years the abductor and the child were found and the child was returned to their birth family and the child refused to respond to the name that had originally been given to them and insisted on maintaining the name that the abductor had given to him/her because to them they were not John (birth name) they were Harry (Name given by abductor) because they had little or no memory of the time before the abduction.  In the studies it is recommended that the birth parents use the name the child is comfortable and in many cases the name is legally changed to avoid causing any further trauma to the child's psyche.

Ever seen the TNG episode "Suddenly Human?" It's pretty close to what you described.

I can see it both ways as far as her name is concerned. I would think that it would be easier for her to use her Borg designation for a while but once she fully regained her humanity I would think that she would want to re-claim her real name.

For the purpose of the series though I think it was appropriate for her to use her Borg designation.

I agree that it would be hard for her to go back to her old name it is just what she is used to. Now with the catsuit I really never liked her in it but in one episode I think it was someone to watch over me the doctor shows seven some other outfits for off duty and it looked to me that the reason why it was tight was she needed a brace around her waist maybe because she was missing her borg armor. That is only MHO as the doctor never says anything it is what I am refering from the picture and what she does wear latter on in the show it is a dress but tight around the waist but that does not give reason why the rest is so tight.

I think it would have been a nice idea, at least she should have considered it.

She's been Seven for so long & that's who she feels represents her true self. While she wouldn't, at first, acknowledge the Annika part of her; I think she certainly did more towards the end of the series. However, Seven is who & what she is.

I have always thought that if 7 of 9 did indeed want to reclaim her humanity, one of the first things she should have done is to reclaim her human name.

You all make good points, but in the episode "Dark Frontier" (part II), I really thought that we saw Seven seeing the Borg for what they really were, and being thoroughly disgusted by them. At that point, I was expecting her to think about changing her name back. (At least, had I not known that by Endgame she hadn't.)

Annika sounds a lot like Anakin to me. :lol: