Sign in to follow this  
HRH The KING

UPN, Enterprise, and the Ratings

I guess I won't be joining his site. Even though I like Enterprise and I was very disappointed that it got cancelled. I also believe that someone whose opinion differs from mine should also be able to post it. Banning someone because they disagree is not in keeping with Star Trek.

Banning someone because they disagree is not in keeping with Star Trek.

I agree completely.

Also, people are rightfully questioning this new plan the Save Enterprise supporters have got into their heads of trying to buy a new season. So far they've raised about 30K, when they need about 35 million dollars to (in theory) pay for a season.

Unfortunately, it cannot happen. Paramount would NEVER take money from such a source, it's a potential legal minefield. Besides, the issue has never been a lack of money. It's more about this, it's a very simple formula for failure.

A lack of quality = Low viewers = A lack of sponsors and advertising deals + high costs of production = low revenue and high costs.

All of that means the show is not profitable for Paramount to produce.

Even StarTrek.Com have warned people not to donate money to Tim Brazael because he has no connection to Paramount and there's no way the money will be used in this vain attempt to save a dead show.

IMO, anyone who gives money to this guy is a fool.

Banning someone because they disagree is not in keeping with Star Trek.

I agree completely.[\b]

stf.net is very very slow to ban a member, giving them warning after warning, and putting up with all kinds of difficult behavior in an attempt to communicate with the member when there is a problem. They try to give the member the benefit of the doubt. Members are not banned for holding and voicing opposing opinions, but for violating the TOS to the point of disruption of the site.

Well, it's not that way on SaveENT/TrekUtd.

On there, someone says:

"Hey, is ENT really worth saving?".......BANNED!!!!

"Where is the money going?"........BANNED!!!!!

"Should we really support Tim Brazael?"........BANNED!!!!!

"ENT was quite a weak show"......BANNED!!!!

It's actually quite amusing. :yahoo:

Edited by The King

Dear Members Of StarTrekFans.Net

I'd just like to point out that although I did not like ENT and oppose the campaign to bring it back, I don't have and never have had any bad feelings or ill will towards the true star of the late television show known as "Star Trek Enterprise". The failure of that show was NOT IN ANY WAY caused by this bright spot in a show crying out for a character you could believe in. A soul who was simply ahead of his time. A true talent who's natural charm and charisma shined on the screen even through all the difficulties and hard times. A source of inspiration for all Star Trek fans, and In My Royal Opinion, the HIGHLIGHT of "Star Trek: Enterprise" and the biggest star on UPN, nay the ENTIRE U.S and Global broadcasting industry...

Click For Spoiler
dogsinspace.jpg

PORTHOS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL MISS YOU!!!!!!!!

:hug: :biggrin: :lol:

It's such a shame.

He actually had a bigger role than Anthony Montgomery. :P :lol: :biggrin:

I checked the ratings breakdown. Whenever Porthos was on screen, the ratings jumped a whole point!!!!

:hug:

Edited by The King

If that was the case I would had Porthos in every episode. One point is not a lot, but one point Enterprise could have used.

The show never really had a chance. It really should have gone last year but Paramount needed the syndication number.

Lessons need to be learned.

Otherwise it won't be any different next time around.

Edited by The King

As a whole Paramount right is having lots of problems. They have put out to many movies that haven't made any money.

Click For Spoiler
That's very true.

The mistake they made was simply too much poor Trek.

VOY was a very weak show and instead of taking that into account and thinking "let's give it a break" as soon as that show ended they announced another Trek show. Even I thought "this might be too soon". In the UK the promo for ENT came on IMMEDIATELY after the last episode of VOY ended.

But nevertheless I was looking forward to it because the premise sounded good. But then I actually watched the first episode and it left me cold. I continued watching the show but it didn't get any better and by the time I got to Season III it became a chore to watch it.

While it was on I thought, it's not great, maybe it will improve? Then I started hearing stories about plunging viewing figures in the States and talk of cancellation. While it was still airing, I thought "It might not be a bad idea. End it now and come back to Trek with a fresh approach later" but I never said "Cancel this show" because I realised that some people liked it.

When the show was cancelled, I thought, well, it's sad for those who liked the show but it's probably for the best...then I saw that a campaign had started to bring the show back. I thought "What for?" As the days went by I became more angry by what I was reading. I thought "I have to say something about this". It was then I discovered Kill Enterprise and I thought, I'm joining it.

It was when this funding campaign started that I saw very clearly that this campaign would not work. The more I read the excuses and conspiracy theories from the SaveENT campaign, the more I understood how easy they could be debunked. Not too long ago they were suspecting people on Kill Enterprise and those who oppose ENT on TrekBBS and ST.com as being Paramount agents, sent to infiltrate and oppose their efforts with the promise that we would be given high paid jobs with the company once their campaign died.

Those who offered any kind of dissent to the Save ENT campaign were banned or labelled as "flamers and trolls". All the while, they ignored a simple possibility that ENT died because unlike the other Trek shows (TOS, TNG and DS9 in particular) it just wasn't very good. It got worse with the funding drive. These people were convinced that they should fund a new season of ENT, despite the fact ST.com were advising against it and Paramount were not short of money to do so if they desired. The death knell of the campaign was reached today. The much vaunted rallies and protests failed. Not more than a couple hundred people were present in LA. If Paramount cancelled the show when it had two-three million people watching, then why take notice of a few hundred hardcore fans? Also, in an odd twist of fate, the claim by the SaveENT supporters (who I refer to as Brazaelians, after their infamous leader) have been proven to be spreading false claims. They say that the end of ENT means the end of Star Trek. However just today, stories have circulated about STXI, and although I remain unconvinced that Rick Berman is the man to lead Trek into another project, it does show that Trek is still alive.

As StarTrek.com recently said, there was no Trek from 1969 to 1979 with the exception of a little seen animated show. There was no Trek TV series from 1969 to 1987. Trek survived. It will survive the end of ENT.

That's very true.

As StarTrek.com recently said, there was no Trek from 1969 to 1979 with the exception of a little seen animated show. There was no Trek TV series from 1969 to 1987. Trek survived. It will survive the end of ENT.

306095[/snapback]

I am not so sure. I think it survived during those times of dearth because TOS was watched in rereuns, and also the show was family-friendly, so that the next gerneration of Star Trek fans was being developed, as families watched it together, or at least parents let their children watch the show.

It is possible that there are enough reruns to inspire a whole new generation of trek fans, but there are also other choices, and scifi fans may go in these directions. Since Enterprise was not really family-friendly, not only did some parents not sit with their children to watch the show, they actually did not let their children watch the show.

I think if there is a break of the length of time there was between TOS and TNG, that there will be a very samll fan base waiting around for new Trek episodes when they start the next series.

Click For Spoiler
I am not so sure. I think it survived during those times of dearth because TOS was watched in rereuns, and also the show was family-friendly, so that the next gerneration of Star Trek fans was being developed, as families watched it together, or at least parents let their children watch the show.

In the next few years, if Star Trek indeed takes a break, re-runs can still be seen. TOS, TNG, and DS9 can all be played in syndication. Even with TAS and VOY. All the shows are family friendly and are very flexible in what time they can be scheduled on various channels.

It is possible that there are enough reruns to inspire a whole new generation of trek fans, but there are also other choices, and scifi fans may go in these directions.

It's entirely possible. But even while ENT was being broadcast, the audience was already going in a different direction. Either watching something else, or switching off altogether.

Since Enterprise was not really family-friendly, not only did some parents not sit with their children to watch the show, they actually did not let their children watch the show.

That's because Berman and Braga choose to take the show in a direction that "dumbed it down". Instead of producing intelligent thoughtful episodes, they pandered to featuring the T and A of Jolene Blalock as she herself admitted. It was part of why the show failed. It alienated many Trek fans to the point where the audience was limited to a hardcore group as shown by low viewing figures and the poor turnout (which Reuters reported at around 100 people only) at the LA rally. This alleged "improved" fourth season has seen the lowest viewing figures ever seen during ENT's four years. The show finishes last in the ratings every week.

I think if there is a break of the length of time there was between TOS and TNG, that there will be a very samll fan base waiting around for new Trek episodes when they start the next series.

Perhaps, but that's because Paramount have made poor decisions. Two bad movies, two weak series (VOY and ENT) drove the audience away, because they were sick and tired of watching medicore Star Trek. Improve the quality and they'll attract the viewers and new fans too.

This is the story from Reuters regarding the Los Angeles gathering of Brazaelians.

My comments appear in bold:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Star Trek" fans from around the world gathered at the gates of Paramount Studios in Hollywood on Friday to protest the impending cancellation of the television series "Star Trek: Enterprise."

Carrying signs reading "It's Not Just a Show, It's a Responsibility" and "18 Years of Loyalty and This Is the Thanks I Get?, (which is part of the problem. Too much Trek over the past 18 years, and far too much POOR Trek. Also this idea of accepting any old crap as long as it's connected to Star Trek is a major problem. If certain fans cannot be critical of the franchise when needed, then the producers will give you more crap to swallow) more than 100 people (:biggrin:) massed at the gates of Paramount, where "Enterprise" is produced, to show support for a franchise that has perhaps the most loyal fan base in the world.

None wore costumes, however, in a departure from many gatherings of "Trekkies."

The UPN network, which like Paramount is a unit of Viacom Inc., said earlier this month it would end "Enterprise" in May after four seasons on air. But the fans are not letting it go quietly.

Paramount and UPN officials declined to comment. (They don't need to. The reasons for ENT's cancellation are clear. It's just a shame the Brazaelians are so delusional, they cannot accept it).

"'Star Trek: Enterprise' ... is quality television, unlike a lot of the reality you see on TV today," said Candice McCallie, the Texas-based publicity director for Web site TrekUnited.com and an organizer of Friday's protest.

And organized it was -- attendees had professional laminated badges, posters and even permits from the L.A. Police Department to block the sidewalks around the studio.

Although the original series created by Gene Roddenberry ran only from 1966 to 1969, at least one version of "Star Trek" has constantly been on air since 1987 -- "The Next Generation," "Deep Space Nine," "Voyager" and now "Enterprise."

The current series is something of a prequel, set in the earlier days of human space exploration and the "Star Trek" universe, well before those other series took place.

"Enterprise" is tied for 150th place in ratings this season (:lol:) , according to Nielsen Media Research, but McCallie argued "Enterprise" peaked creatively this year.

"It's some of the best 'Star Trek' we've seen in the 18 years it's been on," she said. (I hope she was joking when she said this  :hug: If this is the best Star Trek, then the franchise really is on Death Row. Heck more than that, it's being strapped into the electric chair).

Fans are so dedicated that TrekUnited has raised more than $48,000 to give to Paramount to potentially produce a fifth season of the show. (Considering they were aiming for $35 Million, I'd say it's a dismal failure. I think it's time Brazael offered his flock a refund).

Edited by The King