Sign in to follow this  
Stelfan

Television in 22'nd century?

In a TNG episode, when the crew finds a satellite with cryogenics tubes and thaw four living people from the 21'st century Picard says that TV didn't last longer then to the mid 21'st century.

Yet, on ENT, Archer watches waterpolo on, what seems to be recorded TV.. And they watch a lot of movies, isn't that a bit strange if TV was eliminated that movies are still made.. Or do they only watch old movies from the time before 2050?

I think I have asked this question before, but never got an answer..

What are your thoughts?

If memory serves me correctly all of the movies that they have watched on Enterprises have been from the mid-20th century. I believe sports, news and concert recordings would still be available for viewing although programming such as dramas and sitcoms, etc. would be a thing of the past.

If memory serves me correctly all of the movies that they have watched on Enterprises have been from the mid-20th century.  I believe sports, news and concert recordings would still be available for viewing although programming such as dramas and sitcoms, etc. would be a thing of the past.

I agree. When Data said that TV did not survive past the mid 21st century, also arround the time of WWIII, that it would be logical to assume that he was referring to programs like entertainment-shows and movies, and not programs like news, concerts, informative shows, sports, and so forth.

Just because new shows were eliminated does not mean that a high interest in old shows and movies is not still present with a certain sector of the population, especially when you're on the a starship with no holodeck yet. :rolleyes:

In a TNG episode, when the crew finds a satellite with cryogenics tubes and thaw four living people from the 21'st century Picard says that TV didn't last longer then to the mid 21'st century.

Yet, on ENT, Archer watches waterpolo on, what seems to be recorded TV.. And they watch a lot of movies, isn't that a bit strange if TV was eliminated that movies are still made.. Or do they only watch old movies from the time before 2050?

What are your thoughts?

I guess the answer depends in part on what you define as television; the mechanics of viewing video on a screen or the concept of weekly dramas locked into a specific schedule.

Personally, I think this is another sweeping interpretation of the future made without thought or logic. Theatre has existed in some form since our earliest cultures. Before live plays there were narrative poems and oral traditions. I can't believe that the Dramatic Arts would cease to exist. It is likely that drama would be more targeted to a specific audience; just as cable channels have diminished the hold of networks. But I believe that some type of drama or visual entertainment would exist until the development of the holodeck and perhaps even after.

Now as to the format of television - weekly shows locked into a specific timeframe. I don't think that needs to wait another 50 years to go away. I believe the internet will offer greater and greater access to entertainment in the coming years. I suspect in time the two mediums will merge. I 'm ready for the day when weekly series are available "on demand" rather than at a specifc, arbitrary time. I already record shows to watch when its convenient - not when it's convenient for the network.

Just because new shows were eliminated does not mean that a high interest in old shows and movies is not still present with a certain sector of the population, especially when you're on the a starship with no holodeck yet. :idea:

But if there is interest in films and shows, why did they stop making them?

What are your thoughts?

If they’re smart they wouldn’t watch films made after about 1969 :laugh: On ENT it does seem to me that only the classics (and water polo) have endured the test of time.

Stardate:213485.9

I think that some form of televison will always be around.Myself I have always considered Holodecks to be a very advance form of television.

I agree with Takara Soong. They do watch sports and some movies from the 21st century but I believe sitcoms are nonexistant.

What are your thoughts?

I guess the answer depends in part on what you define as television; the mechanics of viewing video on a screen or the concept of weekly dramas locked into a specific schedule.

Personally, I think this is another sweeping interpretation of the future made without thought or logic. Theatre has existed in some form since our earliest cultures. Before live plays there were narrative poems and oral traditions. I can't believe that the Dramatic Arts would cease to exist. It is likely that drama would be more targeted to a specific audience; just as cable channels have diminished the hold of networks. But I believe that some type of drama or visual entertainment would exist until the development of the holodeck and perhaps even after.

Now as to the format of television - weekly shows locked into a specific timeframe. I don't think that needs to wait another 50 years to go away. I believe the internet will offer greater and greater access to entertainment in the coming years. I suspect in time the two mediums will merge. I 'm ready for the day when weekly series are available "on demand" rather than at a specifc, arbitrary time. I already record shows to watch when its convenient - not when it's convenient for the network.

I have to agree with TheUnicornHunter on all aspects.

However it would seem logical that the crew would watch old movies that are a little more current. Instead of the Frankenstein or western film, how about Star Wars, Terminator, or any other late- 20th century film? Trip was going to show the Cogenitor The Day the Earth Stood Still, so TPTB aren't afraid of referencing scifi. If nothing else the crew could get a good laugh about the movie, and possibly comment about how different the future (the crew's own time) turned out to be.

I think the real reason we don't have more current films referenced is that TPTB don't want to deal with the licensing and franchising legalities.

Yes, that is true, Picard did say that. but remember on the Voyager finale "End Game" in the first scene Janeway is watching what I think is TV, the news was and on announcing that it was the 10th anniversary of Voyager's return and something about the Ferengi.

And I know this was about TV in the 22nd century, but I dunno, if Janeway was watching TV then I guess everyone got bored and brought them back or something.

Yes, that is true, Picard did say that. but remember on the Voyager finale "End Game" in the first scene Janeway is watching what I think is TV, the news was and on announcing that it was the 10th anniversary of Voyager's return and something about the Ferengi.

And I know this was about TV in the 22nd century, but I dunno, if Janeway was watching TV then I guess everyone got bored and brought them back or something.

I think she was watching some kind of news recording...Not television exactly.

In Generations, there were a bunch of reporters on board the Enterprise, so I think they still have a news system, but instead of newspapers or something of the like, they've taken to using recordings that people can watch.

They seem to use holodecks for entertainment, instead of sitting and watching television shows.

I 'm ready for the day when weekly series are available "on demand" rather than at a specifc, arbitrary time.  I already record shows to watch when its convenient - not when it's convenient for the network.

I guess you don't have cable! If you have a digital cable box, there are many cable and premium channels already available on demand. As of yet, none of the networks offer this option. There is also a cable box equipped with a digital video recorder, allowing you to record your favorite series and watch them at your convenience. No need to wait until the 22nd century!

What are your thoughts?

If they’re smart they wouldn’t watch films made after about 1969 :laugh: On ENT it does seem to me that only the classics (and water polo) have endured the test of time.

How about Raging Bull?

I 'm ready for the day when weekly series are available "on demand" rather than at a specifc, arbitrary time.  I already record shows to watch when its convenient - not when it's convenient for the network.

I guess you don't have cable! If you have a digital cable box, there are many cable and premium channels already available on demand. As of yet, none of the networks offer this option. There is also a cable box equipped with a digital video recorder, allowing you to record your favorite series and watch them at your convenience. No need to wait until the 22nd century!

I know cable offers on demand movies but I meant the weekly episode of a series being available anytime. Wouldn't it be great if Enterprise (all series) was(were) available after midnight Saturday - instead of having to wait until Wednesday.

;)CD'S FOLKS.............THAT'S WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN WATCHING.............. ALL THE STUFF WE'VE RECORDED OVER THE NEXT 100 YEARS ;)

ddillard asked us to stroll down memory lane and find an old topic to bring forward. I thought this one was pretty interesting. It's hard to say what the entertainment industry will be like in ten years - much less in 150.

did you know that comcast is about to introduce "on demand" TV I believe it mean they have a giant super huge database of shows and they let you watch them whenever you want and the new shows are put into the database as soon as they are released on TV !

YAY ON DEMAND TV I CAN"T WAIT :clap::clap::clap::flowers::clap::eek:

In Doctor's Orders...

Click for Spoiler:

Phlox mentions that he shouldn't have allowed Trip to talk him into seeing The Exorcist. That film was made in 1973. Personally, as a big Mike Oldfield fan, I'm glad that at least Tubular Bells has made it to the215o's :quark:

I agree with the majority opinion that TV as we know it a thing of the past for our characters. There will be some kind of news and sports programming and an interest in old movies (and acting for that matter - we know that went on in TNG as did musical recitals). The arts have been portrayed as important in every series. Given the Roddenberry vision I think what has disappeared is the trash programming, silly soap operas, reality shows, game shows and movies made just for their effects, violence or sexual content. Humanity has wiped out poverty and one assumes, hopelessness. The need for this kind of escapism no longer exists as people are fulfilled in their lives and pursuing better and higher goals with no need to zone out in front of a TV for hours on end.

did you know that comcast is about to introduce "on demand" TV I believe it mean they have a giant super huge database of shows and they let you watch them whenever you want and the new shows are put into the database as soon as they are released on TV !

YAY ON DEMAND TV I CAN"T WAIT :)  :)  :)  :)  B)  :)

I'd rather get season sets. They're cheaper. :laugh:

The need for this kind of escapism no longer exists as people are fulfilled in their lives and pursuing better and higher goals with no need to zone out in front of a TV for hours on end.

Unless you're like Tom Paris and replace TV with the holodeck. :)

but tom built his own T.V. and bye the way if on demand T.V. becomes a reality there will be no need for season sets you can just watch any show any episode whenever

I think it would be a nice touch if they could show some examples of future visual entertainment/media technology somewhere n Enterprise- like VR (Vertual Reality) Viewing or 3-d holographic movies/shows.....I've been wondering why the TNG and the following ST series have still been using...audio only communications....when the special effects technology exists to allow them to protray some sort of video/audio communications. ;)

but tom built his own T.V. and bye the way if on demand T.V. becomes a reality there will be no need for season sets you can just watch any show  any episode whenever

On-demand TV is crap. There is no way on Earth I'm going to pay $50 a month to watch 2 TV shows and the occasional episode from an older show. I'd rather pay once for a whole season's worth of episodes, then be ripped off by having to pay a monthly fee. Cable TV = rip-off, DVD is the way to go.

I'm not saying cable TV nor on-demand TV is bad, it's just too expensive for people like me who only watch one or two shows. Plus, "videos" are paid for once and commercial free. Cable TV & on-demand TV give you expensive monthly bills and annoying commercials. I'd rather have DVD. ;)

no want to fight do I:

I like t.v. cause I see things that I might not want to go out and buy but are still funny to see invader Zim for instance!

also movie channels are great fun, I enjoy watching a movie once or twice but if I paid for the DVD of all the cable T.V. movies Ive seen that would pay for years of cable... and the movie channels have no commercials....

Its all in how you look at it...

Everytime I watch TV I'm reminded of a Calvin and Hobbs cartoon where the TV thinks to itself "Opiate of the masses, Marx ain't seen nothin yet"