Sign in to follow this  
Lubak10

It's Official: ENTERPRISE cancelled...

I can't say I'm surprised in the least, the ratings have been shockingly low. I was never a big fan of Enterprise, the only thing concerning Star Trek that I didn't really like, but I know a lot of ye here did so for your sakes I'm sorry to hear it.

I can't say I'm surprised in the least, the ratings have been shockingly low. I was never a big fan of Enterprise, the only thing concerning Star Trek that I didn't really like, but I know a lot of ye here did so for your sakes I'm sorry to hear it.

299869[/snapback]

I agree, I have been waiting for it since the begining of season 3. I will, as will us all, be waiting for the next series, which I hope will be much better. I long for the days where you could tune in to a good "All New" episode episode of Star Trek. Every episode of Voyager I watched was good. I have never seen a good episode of Enterprise.

I have to go watch some DS9 now.

Edited by Captain Holland

Sorry guys but I have a hard time believing that those people who think Enterprise's cancellation is great are any sort of Star Trek fan. I disliked certain aspects of some of the more recent incarnations, so while I can respect people’s opinions on the different shows, I would never applaud their cancellation no matter what I thought of them, because it was Star Trek and I also considered the effect that such circumstances would have on the entire franchise.

Either these people have no perception for the overall picture or quite simply don’t care about Star Trek as a whole. I guess I just miss the real fans of many years ago who actually stood up for their show.

It's one way of looking at it.

Personally, I admire Star Trek fans who would accept that a show which is harming the franchise must be cancelled for the good of the franchise.

Let's just say you support a football team and one of the players is obviously not up to the job. You can either keep him in the team for season after season and the team will suffer, or you can cut him.

I'm not one of these people who will love anything as long as it's called Star Trek.

Enterprise was hurting the franchise and HAD to be cancelled before it damaged the franchise beyond all repair. Some people have this opinion that "any Trek is better than no Trek". I find that attitude bemusing. The show may have been enjoyed by some, but it wasn't enough. IMO, the premise, characters and writing was simply not up to acceptable standards.

I think the ability to see the reality of the situation and say "Yes, it has to go" is certainly an indication of a true fan. Someone who doesn't want the franchise they care about to die.

Before the show was cancelled I never would have said "it should be cancelled", but now that it has been, I think it's a wise decision.

Edited by The King

I think it was promoted well enough.

It was not promoted enough, that is a fairly general consensus on these boards and at SaveEnterprise.com. Here's a quote from Tim Brazeal from SaveEnterprise:

"Have the fans let the show down? Not in any way. The failure of Enterprise on UPN is because of UPN. You have to promote something in order to get it on the market and this is where UPN failed."

The series should have been in front end syndication, then it would've been fine.

Whenever the next series starts that should be how it is shown. UPN should never be allowed near Star Trek again. They have proven they can't handle a Star Trek series.

And I disagree with taking a five year break, Coto and the Reeves-Stevens are great writers with good ideas NOW. A year break wouldn't hurt, but I'm still hoping all is not lost for Enterprise, the article mentions the show will be in its final season on UPN and SaveEnterprise will try and get the series on another network or in syndication.

As for B and B, I don't think they'll be fired but they definitely should remain in a lesser role.

Edited by Jack_Bauer

What is wrong with you people. Never give up!!! We will buy the sets, get new actors,or act ourselves, and make the last 3 seasons!!! If not that make sure that they are completed. There is a group on the net right now that is remaking the last 2 seasons of TOS so why not ENT. And besides I will email, I will yell, I will do what I must to prevent this from becoming true. I am on a radio show in Seattle and I will get people to watch it even if it means I have to bungee jump off the Space Needle. It's not over until the warp care goes cold and it is still alive, kicking, and it's only at warp 4.

It's not a lack of promotion where the problem lay.

It was ALWAYS a lack of quality. The first few episodes had pretty good viewing figures. They plunged soon afterwards. People knew it was on, but they showed Paramount what they thought about ENT by basically saying "we don't want to watch it, it's not acceptable".

And I disagree with taking a five year break, Coto and the Reeves-Stevens are great writers with good ideas NOW.

They had SUPERB writers years ago with DS9, but they alienated them and drove them away from the franchise. Regardless of how good these current writers may be, they can only work with the premise and the characters they are offered. With ENT, both of those were very weak and they couldn't do enough with them.

Also, my advice to future Trek writers is to IGNORE ENT when writing stories. There are many things in Trek which don't really fit well with the rest of Trek continuity and make it very difficult for future writers to get around (For example the Remans being led by a human clone <_< :nono: ). If they have a conflict with ENT, they should override it. I don't even consider ENT (among a few other aspects of Trek) to be part of the franchise.

Edited by The King

Regardless of how good these current writers may be, they can only work with the premise and the characters they are offered. With ENT, both of those were very weak and they couldn't do enough with them.

Also, my advice to future Trek writers is to IGNORE ENT when writing stories. There are many things in Trek which don't really fit well with the rest of Trek continuity and make it very difficult for future writers to get around (For example the Remans being led by a human clone  <_<  :nono: ). If they have a conflict with ENT, they should override it. I don't even consider ENT (among a few other aspects of Trek) to be part of the franchise.

How can you say that? Weather you want to believe it or not Enterprise is Star Trek..And have you seen any of this years 4th season episodes? They are better than even last seasons which is the major reason I have a problem with this cancellation. The show was improving..

How can you say that?

Because some things like the Enterprise flying to the center of the galaxy quicker than it takes me to make a cup of coffee are just dumb.

More thought needs to go into things like that. They crop up ever so often in Star Trek. These are just "white elephant" aspects and are best just ignored.

Weather you want to believe it or not Enterprise is Star Trek..

So is the animated series, but no one pays attention to that either. ENT should be quietly put onto the same dusty shelf as that show and forgotten.

And have you seen any of this years 4th season episodes?

No, they won't start in the UK until March. I was planning on watching them, but now I won't bother.

They are better than even last seasons which is the major reason I have a problem with this cancellation. The show was improving..

It obviously wasn't improving enough. The viewing figures for "Observer Effect" were 2.5 million!!!!! That's simply not good enough. Totally unacceptable <_<

<_< It's a shame to see it happen, I don't know if we'll see another series now that all of the bashers have won their victory. I truly believe that Enterprise was better then Voyager and if they allowed Voyager to grow past season 4 then Enterprise should have been given the same chance.

THis may or may not be the final word from Enterprise but we can hope for someone to pick the series up and for Paramount to allow that to happen.

This is almost certainly the end of the show. Though they did say "on UPN," the term "series finale" was used. Besides that, they're ending production altogether. Paramount holds the purse-strings for this show, so their removing it from their own network pretty much seals ENT's fate.

299816[/snapback]

Buffy the Vampire Slayer had a series finale on one network before they went to another so you never know anymore.

I think we still need to pull together and switch gears to start the lobbying for first run syndication.

The fat lady is on the stage but she ain't singing yet as far as I'm concerned.

And have you seen any of this years 4th season episodes?

No, they won't start in the UK until March. I was planning on watching them, but now I won't bother.

They are better than even last seasons which is the major reason I have a problem with this cancellation. The show was improving..

It obviously wasn't improving enough. The viewing figures for "Observer Effect" were 2.5 million!!!!! That's simply not good enough. Totally unacceptable <_<

Your loss. The 4th season of Enterprise is great..And 'Observer Effect' was a fantastic show..Too bad it'll only be in reruns, syndication and the DVDs that everybody will find out about it..

And also to be fair, Enterprise's ratings were never an accurate reflection. Enterprise recently ranked 25th on the list of Tivo-ed shows, higher than some other major shows, but this isn't counted. Plus people who tape and download episodes don't count either. Not to mention the fact that Enterprise ran in a Friday night slot, which has to combat with people going out. The Wednesday slot also put the show head to head with American Idol (a ratings powerhouse). Add to that the fact that UPN isn't available in many American markets. No matter what the quality of the show, that's too many hurdles to over come.

Front-end syndication would have given the show a fighting chance, but instead Enterprise was an impossible situation on UPN.

Hmmm...this Scott Bakula chat on the 11th should be interesting.

As Alterego said, UPN will dump Enterprise, but hopefully another station that actually deserves that show will make the rest of the series. Hopefully Sci-Fi channel. Believe <_< me, we have not seen the end of Enterprise.

Don't get me wrong. I'm equally critical of Paramount's actions too.

The creation of UPN was a foolish decision.

It had no hope of competing against the three main networks.

Placing ENT against something like American Idol is ridiculous.

A strong Trek show would struggle against that, so ENT never stood a chance, because Idol is designed to appeal to a broad easily pleased audience while Trek is definately aimed for specific type of viewer who aren't impressed with watching a group of losers sing badly and compete for a music "career", which lasts about six months.

I think a genre channel like Sci-Fi may broadcast existing episodes of ENT, but as for Paramount creating new episodes of the show? Absolutely no chance. <_<

Edited by The King

I think if Enterprise was on Sci-fi, it would have done really well. Imagine a Friday-night programing block of both Stargates, Enterprise, and Battlestar Galactica. That would have been amazing.

On one hand, it's unfortunate, because I know a lot of people here liked that show.

On the other hand, I felt it was bringing the franchise down, so this is a great day.

299820[/snapback]

That sums up my opinion perfectly. I'm sorry for the fans but I'm glad it's gone.

I watched a few episodes of Stargate when it started, but soon tuned out.

I never watched Battlestar, and I never watched any of these Trek-clones like Andromeda, Babylon 5, Firefly....blah blah...etc....etc.

Placing a show like Trek on network is a mistake, because it will only get low viewing figures, especially if it's creatively weak like ENT.

It's better to avoid all those mass appeal channels and just produce the show and sell it directly into syndication to various channels, or even keep it on cable.

WWE Raw has consistantly been one of the highest rated cable shows since 1993. WWE Smackdown was on UPN and even though it was the highest rated show on that channel, it never really competed with the big networks because it's a show aimed at a specific group of viewers, like Trek.

It's better to be successful on cable or syndication, than medicore on network.

The trends of TV are changing anyway. Especially in the UK where people are sick of network television and are simply moving onto Sky Digital and onto speciality channels.

This is not something Paramount needs to "think about" or "consider". They MUST do it!!!!

Edited by The King

Don't get me wrong. I'm equally critical of Paramount's actions too.

The creation of UPN was a foolish decision.

It had no hope of competing against the three main networks.

Placing ENT against something like American Idol is ridiculous.

A strong Trek show would struggle against that, so ENT never stood a chance, because Idol is designed to appeal to a broad easily pleased audience while Trek is definately aimed for specific type of viewer who aren't impressed with watching a group of losers sing badly and compete for a music "career", which lasts about six months.

I think a genre channel like Sci-Fi may broadcast existing episodes of ENT, but as for Paramount creating new episodes of the show? Absolutely no chance.  <_<

299917[/snapback]

Just because you don't like the show means you can say it is weak. I don't know if you've seen the Enterprise petition lately but it currently has 413 signatures of people who love it. And that's pretty damn good for a second-in-command site. Imagine how many signatures would be there if it were posted on every Trek site. And to add I really hate reality shows and I know that more people like Enterprise more than that crappy excuse for entertainment. This is a great show and you can stomp on it all you want but it won't make any difference. It's not like you are being heard. You are just a handfull of Trekkers who actually hate the show. So I don't think you have the right to call this a weak show. :nono:

Click For Spoiler
Just because you don't like the show means you can say it is weak.

Sure I can. It's my opinion, and besides, if it were strong and successful, it wouldn't have been cancelled.

I don't know if you've seen the Enterprise petition lately but it currently has 413 signatures of people who love it. And that's pretty damn good for a second-in-command site. Imagine how many signatures would be there if it were posted on every Trek site.

You can have your petitions, but I don't think there's enough ENT fans to build a movement to get that show back. If you had one, I'm pretty certain a rival faction would be created to prevent that show coming back and harming Star Trek even further.

And to add I really hate reality shows and I know that more people like Enterprise more than that crappy excuse for entertainment.

I hate those shows too. But the masses seem to love them, so you know what? Let them watch that stuff. I'm happier watching quality Star Trek, assuming Paramount produces some quality Star Trek.

This is a great show and you can stomp on it all you want but it won't make any difference. It's not like you are being heard. You are just a handfull of Trekkers who actually hate the show.

You mean like the handful of people who watched that show?

For all your campaigns to "SaveEnterprise", it didn't work, so either you weren't heard, or people like me saw your campaigns and said "No thanks, we'd rather save STAR TREK".

So I don't think you have the right to call this a weak show. 

I have every right to call it weak, as do people who think the same way I do about that show.

I agree with The King on this issue. I think that overall Enterprise did not maintain the level of quality that Star Trek should. I also think that Paramount made some truly foolish decisions that helped bury Enterprise before it really had a chance. Personally, I think that a rest of several years would do wonders for the Trek franchise. It's in serious danger of being oversold. Let people's appetite for Trek really build for a little while, instead of people taking it for granted. It would be difficult for a lot of serious fans, yes, but they would survive, just as they did between TOS and TNG, and just as the Star Wars fans survived between the Original Trilogy and the Prequel Trilogy. In the long run, I think that would be the best scenario for Trek as a whole.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sincerely sorry for those who enjoyed the show. But there are some of us who felt it did more harm than good - and we're genuine Trek fans too.

Is it too early for a Wake?

I remember the first scenes of Broken Bow, I said Kool Theme music...but then ....where is the establishing shot......no establishing shot.....WHAT KIND OF MORON CREATES A SHOW CALLED.... ENTERPRISE....BUT DOESN'T SHOW US....THE ENTERPRISE.....there are leasons to be learned here....(1) Establishing shots...(2) if you gonna make a prequel.....taking place before Kirk, Spock, Bones, Pike, April(conjecture....gray area in Canon) don't ignore TOS...just because you (B & <_< weren't around to author it and don't like it....

Season 4 was just starting to link Enterprise with pre (TOS) history/canon....and it was really looking good...Thanks Coto...but the damage was already done....the patient was already critical. Due entirely to piss poor writing and management.....(here's a dumb idea>> lets get a charismatic, talented lead actor to protray Starfleet's first Enterprise captain...how about that SCOTT BAKULA..

DIDN'T HE DO ANOTHER SCI-FI HIT...CALLED QUANTUM LEAK.... YEA, THAT'S THE GUY....OK...SO ....WHAT WILL WE HAVE HIM DO ON THE FIRST EPISODE....OH...WHY DON'T WE HAVE HIM LEAPING THROUGH TIME....OH YEA....SOUNDS LIKE A SWELL IDEA B&B...YOU DON'T THANK THE FANS WILL NOTICE ANY SIMILARITIES THERE ....NO....THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM ACCEPTING HIM AS ARCHER...AS LONG AS WE DON'T HAVE HIM SAY "OH BOY" AND LATER WE'LL INVITE HIS OLD BUDDY AL TO GUEST START....THE FANS WILL NEVER NOTICE. In the first season...we'll boldly go farther that Kirk ever got in 5 years...we'll go all the way to the Klingon Home world..and we'll do it without hardly a single mechanical breakdown..or accident....I can just see Scotty; green with envy saying ...they sure don't make 'em like the NX class anymore. That first warp 5 starship....worked like a charm.

After the end of the single season of the origional BattleStar Galactica....CBS went back and did Galactica 1980..most fans of Galactica can just ignore/dismiss it. But StarTrek is different....3 seasons of Enterprise can't be ignored...it's there...it's Canon.

Edited by headborg

I'm actually one of the "middle-grounders" on this issue.

When I first got to see ENT (2nd season), I wasn't overly impressed. I watched it BECAUSE it was Trek, but I didn't care for the plots, the acting, or the overall concept. My mother, who has been a huge Trek fan since TOS, couldn't stand most of it. I pretty much made her tape the show for me when I couldn't see it myself, but I doubt she'll lose any sleep when I tell her it has been canceled.

Does that make her a bad fan? Nope. Different people have different tastes. Alot of people couldn't stand Voyager and wanted it off the air, but it was our favorite of all the series. Just because we're Trek fans sdoesn't mean we have to like everything associated with Star Trek. To say we have no choice but to like it overrides individual preferences.

If ENT had been canceled after the second season, I wouldn't really have cared. I felt like watching it was a chore. At one point, even I hoped that Paramount wouldn't add "Star Trek" to the title. That way, if the show continued at that level of quality, we could just ignore it completely as an "unofficial series."

However, the fourth season had really started to change my mind. Coto was doing an excellent job, imo. They canceled the show right as it was starting to gain quality.

But the damage was done. Viewers fled throughout the first and second season, only coming back occassionally to bring the ratings up a smidge. People can't tell anything about a quality increase if they aren't even watching any more. The "nay-sayers" didn't kill the show. Ratings did. Paramount and the rest of Hollywood is all about the almighty dollar. ENT just wasn't carrying its own weight, at least according to the measures used by the networks (I'm not sure I'm a fan of the Neilsons either).

Yes, ENT had a ton of flaws and initially low quality. That's my opinion, and as true Trek fans, we have the right to demand quality from something important to us. That's why I hold nothing against those who wanted the cancellation. I don't agree, but I understand. Each side should be able to voice its opinions TACTFULLY and with respect for the other side (ie- no gloating or insults). It's not fair to rub it in others' faces that something they cared about will be gone, esecially right when they're feeling the most upset. Nor is it right to question people's loyalty just because they had issues with one iteration of Trek.

I, for one, am sorry to see it go.

Yikes!

About thirty minutes after I was watching the State of the Union Address by President Bush, I turned on my computer, and then went browsing on some major news sites and just found out about this on MSNBC's site. It is no doubt going to hurt the Star Trek franchise, the franchise we all love and that entertains all of us Star Trek fans. I was not going to come here today and just go through some emails, but considering what has happen I thought I better.

I would not necessarily say this is going to hurt Star Trek forever, though. It will hurt in now and it will take the Star Trek franchise a while to recover. However, I have been of the view that Star Trek needs some kind of breather. If the Star Trek franchise is to go on long-term, develop new innovations, and so forth, then it needs breathers to recuperate and produce new and electrifying stories/plots. I do not see Star Trek or any other major show going on and on forever, episode after episode. Most people can not stomach that, besides very hard-core Star Trek fans, like a lot of us. Star Trek is unlike any other show out there on the market. I believe it has enough substance and possibilities for new cutting-edge shows; so there is still a market, in my view.

Now I am the first to admit that I was light on my watching of Enterprise because I don't like to watch what is generally broadcasted on television at all. However, I wanted to try to start to light the fire under me, as a Star Trek fan, and watch Star Trek: Enterprise. These past few months I have primarily been focusing on reruns of TNG on DVD. The last episode of ENT I saw was a couple of months ago, and the one before that I seriously don't even remember... But I'll be sure to turn it on this week and have my VCR programmed to record it (if I miss it).

I obviously can not honesty comment on if ENT is a good show; bad show; if it Star Trek quality; if it is not Star Trek quality; if UPN is the primary reason; if UPN had very little to do with ENT's low ratings....... But UPN must have played some role in ENT's success (or lack of it), but I can not comment on how much.

SaveEnterprise.com is of course a great resource.... If you rally enough, then Paramount's resources will flow to that desired want. If you do not, then Paramount will not. It is as simple as that, and I can not blame them for that. If there is enough demand, then another network might pick it up to broadcast.

You never know..... Enterprise might be re-born on another network. Anything is possible.

We will have to see.

After chatting with Mr. Tim Brazeal, founder of SaveEnterprise.com, a few times in email and on "TREK-NEWS-TALK," he is good guy and has been working so hard. A week ago I talked to him a little bit in email, and the amount of effort he puts forth is 100% ----No question about that. Succeed or fail --- he has done his part and deserves a lot of praise .....No question about it.... Whatever happens I would email Tim and thank him for his hard work.

post-68-1104456831.gif

After chatting with Mr. Tim Brazeal, founder of SaveEnterprise.com, a few times in email and on "TREK-NEWS-TALK," he is good guy and has been working so hard. A week ago I talked to him a little bit in email, and the amount of effort he puts forth is 100% ----No question about that. Succeed or fail --- he has done his part and deserves a lot of praise .....No question about it.... Whatever happens I would email Tim and thank him for his hard work.

299944[/snapback]

He's still hard at work, MQ. I was over to the saveenterprise site earlier this evening and he is trying to organize a rally in LA. Anyone who lives in that area, check out the site. They don't have any details yet - just Tim's email is listed.

They will also be announcing the new battle plan soon. Since we do share a number of members with them, I'm sure we can keep STF members updated on what is happening in the fight to keep production going.