Sign in to follow this  
ddillard

How do you see the characters of trek?

Are the Trek characters just characters on a TV show or do they mean more to you?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Trek characters just characters on a TV show or do they mean more to you?

• They are just characters on a TV show and nothing more.
    • They are more than just characters, but I could go on without them.
    • They are important to me and I view them as friends that I visit each time I watch and episode.
    • They are like a part of my family and if I lost them I would mourn their loss as I would that of a family member.
    • I have an opinion but choose not to express it.

I have been wondering how other members of this board view the characters of Trek, so I decided to put up this poll to find out.

Myself the characters of Trek have become like members of my family just as the members of this board have and I would mourn their loss just as I would any other member of my family. These characters have become one of the last links I have to my deceased brother and therefore each time we loose a member of the crew, I feel as though I lost another small piece of that link.

So, anyway what do you all thinK?

~They are like a part of my family and if I lost them I would mourn their loss as I would that of a family member.~

Every time a character dies I feel sick. :blink: Data dying was too much for me and he's not even my favorite character (one of them though). If they ever kill off Riker I'll just die.

Trek is a part of my family. I believe in the vision of Gene Roddenberry and support his successor's efforts to keep them alive.

When a member of the Trek family is lost I feel the pain as much or more as I would with the loss of a family member. The biggest loss I have had in my life was the death of my brother. I miss him so much and think of him every day. The second biggest would be the loss of Data although the intensity of the loss does not compare to that of my brother it is still greater than the loss I have felt for many relatives that I barely knew. If that is crazy, so be it! Trek and Data are a much bigger part of my life when compared to the uncle I haven't seen in 10 years who lives 1000 miles away.

To me they are like friends when we lose one I feel sad

they help me when i need help, theye lift me up when I feel down

hey Voyager was a very improtant time in my life I almost feel like BARKLEY when he created the holodeck sims of both the enterprise crew and voyager crew.... the shows the crews they all helped me with difficult decissions I had to make

( not that I sound crazy or or anything now but oh well)

You know, to anyone on the outside of Trekdom, this would sound really odd, but you guys I know understand.

The Trek characters are my friends. I can immerse myself in episodes and totally feel at home and comfortable. Books are even "worse." I can see each setup, and feel what the characters are feeling.

I don't know what I would do if tptb took away my Trek. They're part of my mind, my imagination, and my soul.

Amen to that. When I reflect on the decade of time between TOS and TMP, that ten years seems to have been a much longer period of time than the 35 years since TMP. Time is more enjoyable with another season of Trek to look forward to and if the day comes when I no longer will be able to have a countdown to the next new episode of Trek is the day a Hugh part of me dies.

I voted; They are like a part of my family and if I lost them I would mourn their loss as I would that of a family member.

I voted: They are just characters on a TV show and nothing more. :rolleyes:

That's cool and all that you guys think of them as family, but to me, it's just a tv show. People ask why I watch then. I tell them it's becuase Star Trek is an awesume idea of what the future "might" be like. For me, that's the draw. The possibilities. Anywho, it's still what it is, a tv show. To me, there are things in life far more important than some tv show, which is why I voted what I voted. However, they still mean something to me. :rolleyes:

They are like a part of my family and if I lost them I would mourn their loss as I would that of a family member.

If any of the Star Trek Voyager Crew (character / actor) I would cry, their strong sense of acting dragged me into Gene Roddenberry's world. It tore at my emotions and I view life differently now. Younger, I always used to critize the differences of people and made fun of the peers that were to be considered the 'geeks' / 'nerds', when I watched an episode of VOY, Captain Janeway seemed to treat aliens not cut throat and rutless, but the tender loving care of a mother. She cared for her crew members the same way she would care for a hurt alien vessle with faint biosings on board. Tom Paris' personal struggles with his father is something I can relate to, and Harry Kim's relationship delimmas (lol). Kes' deep emotional evolutionary struggle, I can relate to as I evolve more mentally (emotionally) day by day. Torres I can relate to becuase my anger does get the best of me sometimes, and the Doctor's identiy cricis of being accepted in the world that pushes him away becuase he is different, Seven of Nine had the same problem of wanting to be accepted in the world, and I saw her gift of playing the piano to be an inspiration for me to continue to practice the violin (as well as the performances of the EMH, and Harry Kim's Oboe playing... hehehe). Chakotay's inner struggles with being Native American is especially a core issue in my life bing native american as well, I have competely assimilated myself into the American Culture and lost my heritage along the way. As my gradfather died with his knowledge, I yern to know more about my culture.... Anyways, what I tried to point out is that the Voyager Crew will always share a special place in my heart.

I voted friend.. But I think I'm some where in between friend and family.. :rolleyes: Probably more close to family...

I view them as friends because that is how they came across on the shows I watched. So,I would consider them to be friends. :rolleyes:

I view them as very close friends, although I would still mourn for them like one of my family if they died (data :rolleyes: ), so I'm kind of in bettween, although leaning more towards family.

hey Voyager was a very improtant time in my life I almost feel like BARKLEY when he created the holodeck sims of both the enterprise crew and voyager crew.... the shows the crews they all helped me with difficult decissions I had to make

( not that I sound crazy or or anything now but oh well)

:o I've been trying to say that for years. Oh yah I had Janeway 1ST ;) Its alright though :idea:

Family.... definately family. As it is so obvious...I love Data, as a friend and wish that I could marry him. If that makes me crazy, I don't ever ever ever wish to be sane(that'd kill me for sure, to be sane!) And the rest of the crew is quite like family for me. But his family, is the most like family to me,IMO

My family is against that...well for the most part. As my sister yells for me to get over his death(pretty ridiculous since she is in love with Lore and married a man who reminds her of him!), and then turns right around (my mom did too-who admits that she finds Data highly attractive!THat was a surprise, she has never ever in 16 years admitted that!) and admits that they cried when Data died, too. True, I thought I was out of line for screaming at them that they were a bunch of hypocrites, but in the end I was right, wasn't I?? OH, Yillara they are just characters they aren't real, you need to just go on and stop mourning a fictional characters death...it really is ridiculous. THen not 15 minutes later, they both(mom and my sister) say they cried at the end of Nemesis....which they said that I shouldn't do because he is not real! Why can't thay make up their minds? I sure have...THE ENTERPRISE-E CREW ARE FAMILY IN MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!

Family.... definately family. As it is so obvious...I love Data, as a friend and wish that I could marry him. If that makes me crazy, I don't ever ever ever wish to be sane(that'd kill me for sure, to be sane!) And the rest of the crew is quite like family for me. But his family, is the most like family to me,IMO

My family is against that...well for the most part. As my sister yells for me to get over his death(pretty ridiculous since she is in love with Lore and married a man who reminds her of him!), and then turns right around (my mom did too-who admits that she finds Data highly attractive!THat was a surprise, she has never ever in 16 years admitted that!) and admits that they cried when Data died, too. True, I thought I was out of line for screaming at them that they were a bunch of hypocrites, but in the end I was right, wasn't I?? OH, Yillara they are just characters they aren't real, you need to just go on and stop mourning a fictional characters death...it really is ridiculous. THen not 15 minutes later, they both(mom and my sister) say they cried at the end of Nemesis....which they said that I shouldn't do because he is not real! Why can't thay make up their minds? I sure have...THE ENTERPRISE-E CREW ARE FAMILY IN MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, Yillara_Soong, but I have to agree with your family here. Sure, they may love the character, and of coarse they cried when Data died, just as they would have cried when a charater dies in any other movie. Crying at something sad doesn't make them hypocrites. Perhaps they think that you take the tv show & movies far too serriously? It is a fictional story afterall. B)

Sorry, Yillara_Soong, but I have to agree with your family here. Sure, they may love the character, and of coarse they cried when Data died, just as they would have cried when a charater dies in any other movie. Crying at something sad doesn't make them hypocrites. Perhaps they think that you take the tv show & movies far too serriously? It is a fictional story afterall. B)

Let us just end this discussion by saying we agree to disagree. They are ficticious to you and they are family to me, and so many others.

Like family. Still can't talk much about the events at the end of NEM. It still is hard for me to deal with.  B)

I feel I lost a family member at the end of Nemesis as well. But look at it this way. Data linked with B4 and gave him all of his memory ingrams. Maybe that will come back in a book or something where B4 advances and can become a new Data...still wouldn't be the same, but something is better than nothing.

I have to strongly disagree. I think that a person can very well become attached to a television character, and that it is completely acceptable to mourn the loss of the character. But like Yillara we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I voted: They are just characters on a TV show and nothing more. :)

That's cool and all that you guys think of them as family, but to me, it's just a tv show.  People ask why I watch then.  I tell them it's becuase Star Trek is an awesume idea of what the future "might" be like.  For me, that's the draw.  The possibilities.  Anywho, it's still what it is, a tv show.  To me, there are things in life far more important than some tv show, which is why I voted what I voted.  However, they still mean something to me. :)

Again CJLP sums up my thoughts pretty well. I love wathcing Trek and feel as though I know these characters very well, but can't quite let myslef go all the way. When Data "died" I wasn't drasticly affected because he is a android and there was another model of him, so if decided he can be "Data" again or at least someone who resembles him and talks,things like he did. I used to do a little bit of acting and hold a higher respect for the actors in Trek then most. Watching Patrick Stewart in 'Sarek' today still amazed me and I've seen that ep hundreds of times.

It's really somewhere in between: "They are like a part of my family and if I lost them I would mourn their loss as I would that of a family member" and "They are important to me and I view them as friends that I visit each time I watch and episode", but I voted for "They are like a part of my family and if I lost them I would mourn their loss as I would that of a family member"

Trek is a part of my family.  I believe in the vision of Gene Roddenberry and support his successor's efforts to keep them alive.

I agree.

The Characters in all the Star Trek shows are good friends to me. They always lift my spirits when I'm down..No matter how depressed I am, watching Star Trek always lifts my spirit...Must be that Roddenberry vision of the future...I can't say they are family, it is a TV show, but good friends...And I do get very sad when we lose any of them..I too am having a hard time with the end of 'Nemesis'..

I would say they are good friends I visit each week.

I mean, I did cry when Data died.. He was my favorite TNG character...

Same for Jadzia in DS9

But, well, it will not stop me living like when one of my family member died.

I'm sad, frustrated, but wouldn't go beyon that.

I mean, I can always watch reruns...

I heard it as a rumour first spread in chat rooms that one of the TNG crew would die in Nemesis. As I heard "Picard or Data will die" I was really sad. They both mean so much to me. I miss Data. It felt like losing a good friend.

I always try to be not too crazy about Jean-Luc Picard because I know he is just a member of a starship crew on TV but that does not always work the way I want...

I would say the TNG crew is like a "family" of good friends to me. When I see them on TV I forget everything else. You could ask me everything when I watch this I would say yes to all of it just to keep stop you asking me questions while I watch TNG... :)

Mrs. Captain Picard

Me and Seven of Nine go out on the piss every friday night. We're great mates. One night we went out and got loaded and met Deanna Troi puking up in a drain with Riker holding her hair. Seven laughed and called her a trashy mare but but I dont think she heard her. We would start off with a few swift pints at McGreggors and then head off to a club. Seven is great craic when she's full. Best drinkin buddy ever!!!

Janeway is my mum's triplet. The other one is a fish monger in Leeds. They dont get on very well. Janeway stole my mum's boyfriend when they were 21 so they haven't spoken ever since. Sigh. But that happens in families.