Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Would you want to know you were going to die

Would you want to know your death was near?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to know your death was near?

• yes
    • no
    • hmmm, hadn't thought about it

I started thinking about this while watching a couple of episodes of Atlantis. In 38 Minutes Holling wants to perform a ceremony for Teyla - Weir said no. Sheppard wanted to say something - Weir cut him off. Again, last night Weir cut McKay off.

I contrast that to ENT (from last night)

Click For Spoiler
where Archer was up front with Trip about the progression of his illness.
I think the latter shows more respect. I think Weir's actions (regarding Teyla) were like denying someone last rites because she felt discussing death made someone weak or less likely to fight. Some people want to be able to prepare - to write down a few words to a loved one or say a prayer or something. I even read a really tragic article once about parents of terminally ill children and how they handled it. About two thirds leveled with the child and "prepared" them for what would happen. In a survey later the ones that didn't were the ones with regrets. So what do you think?

I would want to know. As I read your post, UH, I immediately thougth of the TNG episode Where Silence Has Lease - the part where Picard is about to activate the auto-destruct and talks with Riker about what length of time to set it for. Not quite the same, I know but...

I would want to know. As I read your post, UH, I immediately thougth of the TNG episode Where Silence Has Lease - the part where Picard is about to activate the auto-destruct and talks with Riker about what length of time to set it for. Not quite the same, I know but...

297885[/snapback]

I was also thinking of that episode. "20 minutes - a nice round number".

I'd like to know, in order to prepare for it. Besides, I hate surprises. :spock:

Yes, I would want to know. I would want to be able to tell everyone what I really think of them (it would not matter anymore, now would it?)! LOL But yes, I would want to know. I want my death to be somewhat planned... sort of...

Most likely: yes.

But I would be curious concerning the time of death, and cause....

But I want mines to be a good death, and I want to feel the transition from life to the afterlife, so I want start questioning myself over the matter.. [depending if there is one...

I'd like to read Phillip José Farmer's “To Your Scattered Bodies Go[1971], where every last soul who had ever lived on Earth, from prehistoric apemen to moondwelling civilisations, is reborn in a huge and mysterious realm known as: Riverworld.]

But, if there is some bits and pieces that is vital for my re-animation [once that technology makes 'er way, or Dr. Herbert West's serum finally works right.] , I'd like those saved and put into stasis till the science and technology is made available for my return. [assuming we won't enter another dark age...]

I'd would also like someone* to take my passwords and send in the information concerning my own demise via eMail and etc., so that all my friends won't just assume that I'm taking a break from online life...

For some reason, I think I may get shot in the back, but not over the matter of $80... [Back to the Future, Part III reference]

Yes, I would want to know. Even after seeing the expression on my Mother's face when we told her that her options were to let nature take it's course (die) or live for a few more years with tubes stuck in her. It broke my heart.

:)