Sign in to follow this  
Q stole my bike

Fractals

Recently in algebra we started studying fractals, and I think they're amazing. It's just so wild that such complex images can come from such seemingly simple equations. Well, at least the Mandelbrot and Julia equations seem simple, I don't know what any of the other equations are.

Anyway, I have some fractal software, and I think exploring a fractal is almost like exploring another world. The wierd thing is, they're like visual oxymorons; they're complicated images that come from simple equations, and they're made from imaginary numbers (like, the square root of negative one)

I think I'll stop now, my brain is starting to hurt.

Ya, they are pretty awesome forsooth. :cool1:

In my favourite webcomic [GPF, which is about small software company employees and their misadventures through time and space...], the protagonist's uncle, Doctor Otto Wisebottom, creates a virtual reality Fractal Explorer.

Ere's three examples of fractal art, and also an article concerning it on Wikipedia. :P

Click For Spoiler
Click For Spoiler
167323.jpg
Click For Spoiler
167334.jpg
Click For Spoiler
167333.jpg
post-812-1095566621.gif Edited by DrWho42

Neat article. I just started a project on the uses of fractals, so that helped give me some ideas of what to reasearch.

I made some fractal art, it's not as cool as the pic you posted, though. Stupid photobucket doesn't like big files. Whatever, they still rocketh. I printed out a big version of this one and framed it. It's linked out 'cause message boards don't seem to like bitmap files. >_>

Fractal

I really wanna hear some fractal music. Seems like it would be awesome.

how is the gaussian plane going for you QSMB? Fractals are fun, I agree.

Mannheim Steamroller did a Fresh Aire 8 which was devoted to the subject of infinity.

True my favorite pieces were "The Circle of Love: Infinity in the Wedding Band" and "The Heart And the Feather: Infinity in the Egyptian Afterlife" but there is one dealing with the infinity found in mathematics.. and that one is titled "Fractals"

This was the track listings:

Infinity in Philosophy (Greek Thinkers suite)

Infinity in Cosmology (The Big Bang)

The Infinite Thinker (Leonardo da Vinci)

Infinity in Mathematics (Fractals)

Infinity in Art (Waterfall, based on Escher's painting)

Infinity in the Wedding Band (The Circle of Love)

Infinity in Music (The Steamroller)

Infinity in Egyptian Afterlife (The Heart & the Feather)

I did a search to see if I could find at least a sample of the music. Click on the link for the track and you should at least get to hear a clip of the piece :laugh:

Fresh Aire 8 tracks