Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

“In A Mirror, Darkly — Parts I and II”

In A Mirror, Darkly — Part I

Click For Spoiler
Star Trek is set to enter the Mirror universe for the first time since Deep Space Nine's “The Emperor's New Cloak” aired in 1999.

TrekToday sources today revealed the crew of the Enterprise NX-01 will have their first encounter with the alternate reality in the episode “In a Mirror, Darkly”. Currently scheduled as the seventeenth instalment of the season, the episode is reportedly set to open in familiar surroundings: Bozeman, Montana, on April 5, 2063, the date of first contact between Earth and Vulcan.

However, this isn't your father's first contact. As the Vulcan ship lands and Zephram Cochrane prepares to greet the off-worlders, a somewhat disgruntled mob begins to mass in the area. When the ship's captain steps out and greets the humans with the immortal words, “Live long and prosper”, one of members of the crowd produces his weapon and incites the others to attack the Vulcans. They rush together in a mob, overwhelming the stoic Vulcans with their show of brute force, and changing the course of human history forever.

The Mirror Universe was first introduced in the original Star Trek's “Mirror, Mirror”, in which a transporter malfunction sends Kirk, Scotty, Uhura and McCoy into the alternate reality where the Federation has been replaced by the Terran Empire. The Mirror realm was also featured in several episodes of Deep Space Nine, including “Crossover” and “Through the Looking Glass”.

In an interview last month, Enterprise executive producer Manny Coto promised great things for “In a Mirror, Darkly” (story). “We're really excited about that one. It'll be as if you changed the channel to Enterprise and you get the mirror universe version of the show. We're even going to change the title sequence. People will be wondering, what show is this?”

“In a Mirror, Darkly” will likely air in March or April.

In A Mirror, Darkly — Part II
Click For Spoiler
In the upcoming conclusion to “In A Mirror, Darkly — Part I”, the Imperial Enterprise crew will discover a strange derelict ship: the U.S.S. Defiant, last seen in the original Star Trek series.

As previously reported, Part I of this story will open with an alternate version of the first contact between humans and Vulcans. In Bozeman, Montana, Zephram Cochrane is unable to provide the first Vulcan crew to visit Earth with a friendly welcome, as a disgruntled mob of humans instead decide to storm and overwhelm the Vulcans by brute force (story). From this point onwards, history apparently takes a much more vicious path, culminating in the 22nd Century in a human-led space empire, patrolled by warships such as the Avenger and the Enterprise.

In this episode, the Enterprise manages to capture a ship with incredibly advanced technology — presumably, the Constitution-class starship Defiant. In the Classic Trek episode “The Tholian Web”, Captain Kirk discovered that the crew of the Defiant had gone mad and mutinied, leading to the death of all crew members. But before Kirk and his away team were able to determine the exact cause of this, the Defiant began to fade in and out of an interphase rift between two universes. Spock and McCoy managed to rescue Kirk just before the Defiant disappeared forever into the other universe, which, as it now turns out, was actually the infamous Mirror Universe.

In the Mirror Universe, the Enterprise is commanded by Captain Forrest, but Archer is still part of the crew, and heads the away team that took over the Defiant. But it's clear that Archer, too, is a mirror version of his usual self. In one scene in the Defiant's briefing room, Archer has Mayweather torture a prisoner in order to learn the identity of someone who attacked one of his crew members. When the prisoner doesn't answer quickly enough, Archer threatens to kill the prisoner himself. Finally, Archer learns who is trying to sabotage his mission: a member of the reptilian Gorn species.

Further on in the episode, Archer will demonstrate he's an expert at the kind of political scheming that Mirror Universe humans excel in. In a fight between a group of alien ships and the Avenger, Archer comes to the rescue with his U.S.S. Defiant. In a meeting with an Admiral Black and the Avenger's first officer, a submissive version of Soval, Archer wins praise from Black for finding the Defiant. Archer immediately tries to turn Black's admiration into hard currency — could he be rewarded with a battlefield promotion to captain of the Defiant?

“In A Mirror, Darkly — Part II” is the 19th episode of Enterprise's fourth season, and will likely air in April or May.

post-812-1095566621.gif

All I can say is that if this is done well, it will likely constitute the greatest Enterprise episode ever. Coto is a genius.

Message to UPN: don't cancel this show! Let Coto work his magic! Ratings may be down but creativity is soaring.

From what I read of the Spoilers In a Mirror,Darkly I-II is gonna be awesome Trek in the lineage of all the other Mirror Universe storylines from TOS-DS9.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:P :) :) :P

I am not a fan of the mirror universe episodes, except the very first one in TOS, Mirror, Mirror.

I will wait and see.

I can't wait for this episode, I loved all the mirror universe episodes on DS9 and the TOS episode, I wish they would have done a mirror universe episode on TNG and Voyager, but oh well.