Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Movie Recommendations-Do you have any?

Ghost World was really good!

Although I need to read the comics, I seemed to parallel Seymour as far as music interests go, &c.

Read Daniel Clowes's David Boring which I thought was great.

Originally, this post was a request for people to recommend movies I might like based on some examples given. I have a hard time finding anything I want to see. But it's been interesting to read what movies people like.

Many of the recommendations I have already seen.

I do want to see Metropolis and Apocolypse Now.

I'm still looking for any obscure, plot driven (as opposed to special effect driven) gems you might find.

I may have one for you. I have not seen this one mentioned in the lists above.

I recently rented a DVD from Blockbuster called " 2009". ( NOT 2001 or 2010). It is a Korean film, and to me its only drawbacks were that it was a bit violent, and the English dubbing was at times annoying.

It was a time travel sci fi with very little time travel. The Japanese went back in time and changed one event in history, which changed the outcome of WWII. The US and and Japan were ALLIES in WWII and the bomb was dropped on Germany, not Japan.

The nation of Korea did not exist....Korea was just a province of Japan.

One interesting element was the new timeline where some events of the old timeline were still in tact, like when Japan hosted the Olympic games.

The hero is a Japanese policeman of Korean descent, and his best friend is a Japanese policeman of Japanese descent.

There is a Korean 'terrorist' organization that the police are bent on stamping out, and it is the mysterious motives of this organization that drive the plot.

It is a heartfelt drama, and even though some of the plot twists could have been predicted, the film is well done, and very engrossing.

It asks tough universal questions such as: if history is changed, how would you know? How would you know that there was a nation named 'Korea'?

It asks many culturally specific questions, connected to the Japanese and Korean cultures.

Another important theme is cross-cultural friendship. The film carefully builds the depth of the friendship of the two main characters, before it is challenged by cultural loyalties. To me, the ending was full of heart, compelling, and satisfying. You keep thinking about the film, about the characters.

To me this is one of the best sci fi films I have seen, and I love that it is told from a different cultural perspective, and that I experience a different culture speculating on the possibilitiy of a different history.

There are no Americans to be seen. Everyone is Korean or Japnaese.

I recommend it if you have not already seen it.

Thanks MJ, that sounds interesting but I fear our local blockbuster may not carry it - although they do surprise me sometimes.

I've thought of joining netflicks or something but I'm afraid even there - they'll just have the standard mass market movies.

Encore was showing one of my favorite all-time movies yesterday. It was called "Quiz Show" and it is about the quiz show scandals in the 1950s where the contestants were given the answers beforehand. It is superbly written and acted. It stars Ralph Fiennes. I highly recommend it. Its riviting.

My newest all-time favourite of the cult film variety...

The American Astronaut

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
poster.jpg

Space travel has become a dirty way of life dominated by derelicts, grease monkeys, and hard-boiled interplanetary traders such as Samuel Curtis. Written, directed and starring Cory McAbee of the legendary cult band The Billy Nayer Show, this sci-fi, musical-western uses flinty black and white photography, rugged Lo-Fi sets and the spirit of the final frontier. We follow Curtis on his Homeric journey to provide the all-female planet of Venus with a suitable male, while pursued by an enigmatic killer, Professor Hess. The film features music by The Billy Nayer Show and some of the most original rock n' roll scenes ever committed to film.

============[Reviews]============

Imagine a Laurel and Hardy skit directed by Salvador Dali.

Entertainment Weekly

=======================

It is a film in equal measure funny, strange, dark and beautiful.

Leeds Guide (UK)

=======================

The film is filled with psychotic Astaire-style musical sequences, Three Stooges-esque humor, slimy nightmare imagery, and hilarious Flash Gordon-inspired space scenes.

The New Yorker

=======================

Both irreverent and emotive; at once laugh-out-loud funny and also quietly disturbing.

Sci-fi London

=======================

One of the most novel, outrageous and magnificent movies ever made.

DVD Talk

=======================

An unforgettable, irresistible stylistic hybrid that's part space opera, part western, part noir thriller and all hyperintelligent comedy.

The Orlando Weekly