Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Movie Recommendations-Do you have any?

and I saw "The Cube" - very different

306271[/snapback]

That wouldn't be the same as “Cube”, right?

post-812-1095566621.gif

306279[/snapback]

if it's got David Hewlett and Nicole De Boer and is about people inside a cube :biggrin:

Lawrence of Arabia is my favourite film and I would highly recommend it.

Other films that I like with a fair bit of action but are not classified as "action" films are:

Bridge on the River Kwai

The Hill

The Ipcress file

Those are the last three I watched.

Good film. :biggrin:

I'd recommend “Cube 2: Hypercube” which involves a hypercube, a cube in four dimensions...

With a different set of characters [obviously].

Here's some trivia pertaining to “Cube”. :lol:

Click For Spoiler
• Shot on a single 14'x14' set, made to look like many different cubes through the use of different-coloured panels.

• All of the characters are named after prisons: Quentin (San Quentin, California), Holloway (England), Kazan (Russia), Rennes (France), Alderson (Alderson, West Virginia), Leaven and Worth (Leavenworth, Kansas).

• Not only are the characters named after prisons but they reflect the prisons themselves. Example: Kazan (the mentally challenged character), in Russia is a disorganised prison. Rennes (the “mentor”) was a jail that pioneered many of today's prison policies. Quentin (the detective) is known for its brutality. Holloway is a women's prison, and Alderson is a prison where isolation is a common punishment. Leavenworth runs to a rigid set of rules (Leaven's mathematics), and the new prison is corporately owned and built (Worth, hired as an architect).

• The original plan was to film the entire movie in sequence, with the coloured panels in the wall made to be able to be changed in a matter of minutes. When it came time to shoot they realised that it took closer to an hour to change all the panels, forcing them to abandon the original plan and instead film all the scenes that take place in rooms of a certain colour at once. The directors noticed that everyone seemed to get a lot more aggressive and short tempered on the days when they filmed in the red rooms.

• The film was shot completely with hand-held cameras.

• To show their support for the Toronto film industry, the special effects company C.O.R.E. did the digital effects for free.

• Director Vincenzo Natali

directed a follow-up short film in which we see what is outside the cube. Natali has made a solemn vow never to reveal what was outside the cube, and destroyed the video years ago.

• One of the earlier drafts of the script had the characters finding bizarre alien food. The idea was subsequently lost after it gave too clear a definition as to who was responsible for the cube.

post-812-1095566621.gif

Well, I liked a movie called "A Family Thing" or something like that, which I do not think was a big film. It has a racial theme, and I don't know if you'd be interested. It is about a white man from Arkanas who finds out that his mother was actually a black woman. He really is a southerner, so it is a struggle to deal with. To further investigate he drives to Chicago to find his half-brother and has all kinds of mis-adventures. It is a well done film that manges to avoid cliche. Robert Duvall and James Earl Jones play the brothers, and the good acting is also a plus.

Right now the only one I would recommend is Ray. The performance by Jamie Foxx was outstanding. :lol: :hug: :biggrin:

Well, I liked a movie called "A Family Thing" or something like that, which I do not think was a big film. It has a racial theme, and I don't know if you'd be interested. It is about a white man from Arkanas who finds out that his mother was actually a black woman.  He really is a southerner, so it is a struggle to deal with. To further investigate he drives to Chicago to find his half-brother and has all kinds of mis-adventures. It is a well done film that manges to avoid cliche. Robert Duvall and James Earl Jones play the brothers, and the good acting is also a plus.

306551[/snapback]

Yes, I rented that one too and I did enjoy it.

A good film was ginger Snaps, it wasn't genious (werewolf movie) but it was definately different

There's “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow”, if you want a film that brings to life a 1930s-ish pulp story [w/two-dimensional characters, giants robots, and mad scientists...] :)

This film contains so many homages to our retrofuture and science-fiction of that era [such as: “King of the Rocket Men{1949} and the now immortal “Buck” Rogers.], due in part by its creator: Kerry Conran.

Click For Spoiler
175245.png

I also like the 2002-version of “Solaris”, but I have yet to see the first version.

post-812-1095566621.gif

Edited by DrWho42

Right now the only one I would recommend is Ray.  The performance by Jamie Foxx was outstanding.  :elephant:  :yahoo:  :elephant:

306570[/snapback]

And he won the Oscar for that performance.

Well, I liked a movie called "A Family Thing" or something like that, which I do not think was a big film. It has a racial theme, and I don't know if you'd be interested. It is about a white man from Arkanas who finds out that his mother was actually a black woman.  He really is a southerner, so it is a struggle to deal with. To further investigate he drives to Chicago to find his half-brother and has all kinds of mis-adventures. It is a well done film that manges to avoid cliche. Robert Duvall and James Earl Jones play the brothers, and the good acting is also a plus.

306551[/snapback]

Yes, I rented that one too and I did enjoy it.

306587[/snapback]

Okay, TUH. I give up. We have seen the same movies.

I noticed Dominick and Eugene was on one of the cable channels the other night but I was babysitting so we opted for the Disney channel. :P

I rented a couple of movies

Something the Lord, an HBO movie

Brigham City, an independent company

Troy, you've all heard of this.

I didn't like Troy that much, it was okay - truth is I thought it was boring - but the war that lasted years takes place in a couple of weeks in the movie? And wasn't there supposed to be a Cassandra? But I did think about the decision - to be remembered by future generations rather than live in happiness during your life. These guys weren't too swift IMO.

Anyway, Something the Lord made was about a medical researcher at Johns Hopkins (a white physician) and his lab assistant (a black man without a college degree) and what they accomplished in medical research. While the inequities of the time were a part of the story it was also interesting from a historical point of view. I had no idea that before the 1940's people believed you couldn't operate on the heart. I'd recommend this movie. Alan Rickman (Professor Snapes) played the physician.

Brigham City was unusual because it was about a culture that never gets represented in a movie. Brigham City is a small, primarily Mormon community North of Salt Lake City. I don't think the technical detail was as tight in this movie as in the others I watched and it seemed slow in spots but I liked the story. And I think they might have exagerated the simplicity of the community. However, I spent some time in Utah and it wasn't that much of an exageration. At first I thought they spent way too much time showing the meeting in church but later I realized that the question the Sunday School teacher asked was the theme of the movie - and it was a good question. And other details of that meeting make sense when you see the ending.

The question was regarding the scripture about becoming as a little child and the teacher asked "Do we have to lose our innocence to become wise?"

The main character is a Mormon Bishop who is also the town sheriff who finds himself with a serial killer in town. These people are totally unprepared for such a crime and The Sheriff tries to balance solving the crime while helping his town maintain their innocence. I was disturbed by the search but small towns are different. They did a good job of keeping you guessing about who the killer was. I would recommend it if you don't mind watching something about a culture different than yours.

btw, I was most surprised that they had a single man as a Mormon Bishop. It's not real life

Lawrence of Arabia is my favourite film and I would highly recommend it.

306302[/snapback]

Yeah, TM, its one of my all-time fav movies, too. B)

I just watched "The Incredibles". I liked it! Especially the boy named Dash! :P

If you are up to a kinda creepy movie(well really creepy to some, but not so much with others).. The Grudge was pretty good. I saw it this evening on PPV. It is actually a remake of a Japanese film that was released I think the year before.

Don't know if you watch or can get documentaries, but Crumb, about the cartoonist, was very interesting.

I love the Marx Borthers films - Animal Crackers, A Night at the Opera, etc. Charlie Chaplin also though you may have seen them. I also love old movies like Red River Valley -western, and Jimmy stewart stuff like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Rear Window.

The most moving and uplifting, inspiring story is Of Mice and Men.

349522[/snapback]

I saw the version Gary Sinise did - I think there have been several versions.

I'll add to my recommendations

Manna From Heaven - original and not totally predictable.

I'll be There - not terrific but funny in parts

The most moving and uplifting, inspiring story is Of Mice and Men.

349522[/snapback]

I saw the version Gary Sinise did - I think there have been several versions.

349553[/snapback]

I got the Gary Sinise version on DVD... I didn't know there were other versions :tribble:

May i Recommend..."Apocalypse now" :tribble: ..Great film top actors,fantastic sound track :flowers:

KILGORE.."You smell that?.. Do you smell that?.. Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like - victory.

ian0kp.jpg

Edited by hangon

I own more then 900 DVD's and was the film critic for Lucidmoon.com for about two years, so I think I know what I'm talking about. Here's my top fifteen films in no special order:

1. Metropolis (1925) German silent epic, the first great science fiction film.

2. City Lights (1931) Charlie Chaplin's best film.

3. The Lion in Winter. Based on a tony-award winning play with Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn.

4. Hamlet (1997) This four-hour version with Kenneth Branagh is the best filmed version of Shakespears best play.

5. 8 1/2 (1961) Directed by Fellini. A film that explores the follow and hubris of being an artist, specifically a film maker.

6. Fight Club (1999) Probably the best social satire of the last ten years.

7. Throne of Blood. Akira Kurosawa's samarai epic that was inspired by Shakespear's Macbeth.

8. Persona. Dir. Ingmar Bergman: A powerful exploration in the nature of identity.

9. Mean Streets. Dir. Martin Scorsese: His first great film and a brutal exploration of crime in New York.

10. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Dir. Stanley Kubrik) Simply put: The best science fiction film ever made.

11. Kill Bill vol 1 and 2 (Dir. Quinten Tarantino) Essentially one film, and easily one of the best martial arts epics ever shot.

12. La Dolce Vita ["The Sweet Life"] Dir. Federico Fellini. His first great film, a savage attack on religious hypocracy, the price of fame, and duplicity.

13. Iron Monkey. Perhaps the best Hong Kong action film in recent memory, more enjoyable then Crouching Tiger and also very humerous.

14. JFK (Dir. Oliver Stone) A terse exploration of the events that surrounded the assassination of President Kennedy in 1962. Equally facinating is Stone's audio commentary.

15. The Empty Mirror (2002) A grim study of evil as we explore Adolf Hitler's psyche.

Five Honorable Mentions:

1. Blade Runner (1982) Dir. Ridley Scott. Second only to 2001 in greatness, and better since the making of the "director's cut" back in 1999.

2. Ran. Dir. Akira Kurosawa. Perhaps his best film, based on King Lear and shot with stunning visual flair.

3. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Dir Terry Gillium. A study in the madness that was Nixon's America in 1971.

4. Goodfellas. Dir. Martin Scorsese. Based on the true story of former Mafioso Henry Hill, played here by Ray Liotta.

5. Apocalypse Now (1979) Dir. Fracis Ford Copella. Probably the best war film ever made. Based on "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.

Originally, this post was a request for people to recommend movies I might like based on some examples given. I have a hard time finding anything I want to see. But it's been interesting to read what movies people like.

Many of the recommendations I have already seen.

I do want to see Metropolis and Apocolypse Now.

I'm still looking for any obscure, plot driven (as opposed to special effect driven) gems you might find.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

TUH, have you seen (Some Were in Time) I think that was the title with Christofer Reeves and Jane Seymor

349644[/snapback]

A long time ago - wasn't there something about him finding a penny in his pocket?

Sometimes I just ache to see a really good scifi movie with a plot that leaves you thinking - like the outer limits or the twilight zone.

Then I like movies that are hard to classify but that just make you think about the experience of being human.

1962's Carnival of Souls is a great B-movie* that influenced George A. Romero quite a bit.

I particularly enjoyed it for its surreal atmosphere and good use of its $33,000 budget.

*As well as being a cult classic.

Leonard Part-6.

leonard1cz.png

Not a terribly good film,but Bill Cosby is the star.That's generally good enough for me.

Edited by admiralpeewee

If you like old movies i have a few.

The original version of emily bronte's Whitering Hights (1939)

Merle Oberon and Sir Larence Olivea (spelled that wrong)

Casablanca Ingrid Bergman, Humphery Bogart.

To Have or Have Not

Humphery Bogart ,Lauren Bacall (her first movie)

Key Largo

Humphery Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Edward G. Robinson

I like Boggie.