Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

How Would You Rate The New “Battlestar Galactica”?

What rating, over-all, would you give to the two-hour premiere of the “Battlestar Galactica” remake?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What rating, over-all, would you give to the two-hour premiere of the ?Battlestar Galactica? remake?

• 11+
    • 1-
    • Eh?
    • Uncertain until more episodes come out.
    • Frak the new BSG..
    • Ach.. I missed it.
    • The original series was better...
    • ?Galactica 1980? was better than this.....
    • I don't get it.
    • I don't get SciFi Channel.
    • I don't have a television.
    • [img]http://www.startrekfans.net/style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif[/img]
    • [img]http://www.startrekfans.net/uploads/post-812-1092049970.gif[/img]

I've only ever seen the miniseries because it was on City TV last week. I'd never seen anything about Battlestar Galactica but I must say I was impressed. I would be interested in seeing the series but don't get a channel that shows it.

As an aside, did anyone else catch the 47 references in the miniseries? The woman who won the lottery had number 47 and I heard it somewhere else. I also found it funny that one of the other colonial ship's id number (or whatever) was 1701. I guess Moore is continuing the 47 conspiracy and salute his former series.

I did like it. I'm only rating it a 7 though. I need to see more episodes before I'm sold on this new BG series. But I did like the premiere last night..

The new Battlestar:Galactica is horrible. It bears little or no resemblence to the original series. They should have just started a new sci-fi series with new characters rather than ruin Battlestar.

I did not like it - an hour of Baltar's flashback/imagination shots got old in about five minutes. It is everything Olmos said - dark, depressing etc. But there was a lot more atmosphere than action or storyline. In other words - what Lubak10 said.

I'll reserve judgement. It was very hopeless. It some sense it was very real...you could get a sense they were running for their lives.

What I dislike the most about the new series is how they seem to have turned religious faith on its head. The machines have religious faith, and yet are relentless, heartless murderers. The cylon that looked like a beautiful woman at one moment held the baby and the next moment, when the mother's back was turned, snapped the baby's neck, killing the child. This same manifestation was later talking about God and God's plan, and chastising Baltar for being an atheist. Whatever sick and twisted message is being put forth about religion has immediately caused me to be suspicious of where this series is going.

What I like about it is the feeling of desparation conveyed. But even when life is a struggle, people find hope and joy. I don't know if these people can find it.

In the original series, Adama was sincere in his belief that Earth exists. Here Adama is lying, to give people hope. That change does not give me a lot of hope.

I will probably watch it when I am home on Friday's , but I do not know what it will turn out to be.

I gave it a 7.5 since I recall the Original series this is a reinventing of the classic series where there more Paranoid and dark depressing there might be more atmosphere to the show the music and special effects are ok but not sure if I'd be seeing it that often on a Saturday night I liked the Classic one better more upbeat ("was a different time as well 70's-early 80's in the time the first one aired on t.v")this one might have a Handsome Baltar but too many flashbacks/imagination and it was slow in parts of it just have to see how the new series unfolds I suppose??.

I don't get SciFi Channel here in holland :laugh: ..i loved the org show so i am very intrested in the new version :blink:

Here's a list of differences and similarities[/homages] seen in either the mini-series and the regular series of this Battlestar remake...

Click For Spoiler
Differences from the 1978 series

The changes from the original series include:

The Cylons are now a creation of the humans who rebelled against their creators and formed their own civilization which carries on the same genocidal crusade, which they are resuming after an extended truce following a war 40 years ago.

The Cylons come in twelve different designs like the older classic design, more modern fighting machines (both humanoid and vehicular) and stealth units designed to impersonate humans for the purpose of infiltration. Some units may not even know that they are Cylons.

Baltar's role in initiating humanity's fall was unwitting and he now legitimately helps the refugee fleet as a valued scientific advisor, albeit for his own reasons.

The Cylons have the ability to remotely seize control of sophisticated enemy computer systems for their own use (in an obvious parallel to modern-day malware), which enables their rapid defeat of the human colonies.

Instead of being a frontline warship in the human fleet, the Galactica is an outmoded ship, the last of its kind still in operation. It was originally slated for decommissioning, but was brought back into full service because it was made with older technology that Cylons cannot gain control of easily. There are no computer networks on the Galactica, and all communications on board are conducted using old fashioned wired telephones.

The costuming strongly resembles contemporary fashions, as does some of the technology - soldiers carry rifles, Viper fighters fire shells and communications often take place on radio telephones.

Most of the strange dialect of the original series (including the decimal time-measurement system of "centons" and "yahrens") has been removed and replaced by conventional present-day language.

The ruling Council of Twelve is replaced by a female president who was the highest ranking surviving government official (the minister of education) and capably shares equal authority with Commander Adama.

The personal details of various characters have been changed such as: Starbuck and Boomer are now women, Colonel Tigh is white, the unusual names of some of the characters ("Starbuck", "Apollo", "Boomer") have become pilot call signs, etc.

The Galactica itself has become much more military in its design and operation. Many of the details are taken, somewhat anachronistically, from present-day aircraft carrier operations, such as the pilots undertaking what are explicitly referred to as combat air patrols, and use of "CAG" referring to the Galactica's senior Viper pilot.

Apollo's brother Zak is killed before the start of the series in a Viper accident, rather than in the Cylon attack.

Starbuck had a relationship with Zak, and they had just gotten engaged shortly before the training accident.

Similarities and homages to the 1978 series

The "museum" section of the Galactica features both a suit of "classic" Cylon armor as well as the original model for the Cylon Base Ship.

Click For Spoiler
166285.jpg166286.jpg
The Colonial Anthem, heard briefly during the Galactica's decommissioning ceremony, contains a signature fanfare from the original Battlestar Galactica theme.

The "cubit" is still the unit of currency in the Colonies, even though it appears now as regular paper money rather than the gold ducats seen in 1978.

Click For Spoiler
166276.jpg

Cubits of our Original BSG.

Despite the removal of most of the original Colonial dialect, the word "frak" (often described as a way to get the "F word" past network censors) has been retained as the all-purpose expletive of choice for most humans. "Felgerkarb", the other BSG ersatz, has yet to make an appearance.

The original series' Colonial Viper design is retained as the mainstay fighter of the Galactica.

post-812-1095566621.gif Edited by DrWho42

I thought the show was great. I can relate to these people they seem human not superheros. The SFX is just cool, they explaned it as if a person was outside in a spacesuit with a camera and what I hear about whats coming I can't wait for next week. This was the thing that has me worried SiFi has all this sifi on friday and then they put enterprise on fridays. I really liked Battlestar I gave it a 11+.

The original version showed "OK, we're defeated, lets all gather together and pull our resources." And bang, just like that, it happened. This new version shows the logistical problems with doing that and is more realistic in that sense.

But yeah, there are too many Baltar/# 6 scenes. Give it a rest. I also think they are leading into showing Boomer as a Cylon a little too early. Takes the suspense out. It's like "Gee, I'm soaking wet, and there is a detonator in my hand. Hey, you don't suppose I am a Cylon, do you?" It is happening too fast.

What made the first Battlestar Galactica work was that, in the days of Star Wars and Star Trek and any other sci-fi franchise that was available back then was that the mood of Galactica was dark and pessimistic. It actually *does* take strength of force to survive, and the good guys don't always win.

I'm also glad that Richard Hatch - the first Apollo, not that guy from Survivor - was able to put his rather silly feud with this new idea away and actually will be a guest star. It conveys a sense of legitimacy. In a documentary about the mini-series it was also fun to watch the old and new Starbucks share the trademark cigars at... where else... a Starbucks.

Nothing can hold a candle to the original for me, and I still call in sick whenever I see a marathon will come on, but I am willing to give the new incarnation a fair shot.

I don't care for the religious references with the Cylons at all. Also, the overt sexuality is a bit much.

Other than those two problems, it's entertaining... so far. I doubt I'll stick with it, but I'll try to catch the next few eps before I decide on that.

From the miniseries and the first two episodes, this series has blown me away. I think its great, and I love the way the Galactica closely resembles a modern day carrier. 11+

The time-slot for the New BSG [10.00pm] shouldn't conflict with the Enterprise's time-slot, which, for the time being, is 8.00pm.

post-812-1095566621.gif

I liked its content a little better than previous episodes (ie- less focus on Baltar and #6). It was cool to see Richard Hatch guest starring; that's definitely a departure from his original character.

I think my favorite aspect of the show right now is the interaction between Apollo and Mary McDonnell's character. Their scenes just seem more believable for some reason.

ive watched all of the first season and im not giving out any spoilers but i have to say it is an awesome series!!!! if u think it starts slow, i can tell u that it gets better as the plot lines get more complicated SciFi has been pumping out some real winners lately

... for those of you that care, the first 15 episodes have already premiered in england and available for download on the internet..

If they would get rid of Baltar and that female Cylon hallucination this would be a pretty good show. I tape it so I fast forward through those tedious (and pretty meaningless) scenes.

I did like that scene between Apollo and Cmdr Adama "If it were you - we'd never leave"

While each episode resolves some issue - I think the overall storyline is moving a little too slow. But I do keep watching.

Agreed.

They've been focusing a bit less on Baltar/#6 for the last couple eps, and the series is much better for it. I'm actually getting hooked :laugh: . Last night's ep was great as far as I'm concerned. The show can be a little slow at times and doesn't always keep my attention, but it is fun to watch.

I'm really starting to like this show a lot. I liked last nights episode. I jumped out of my seat when they realized it was StarBuck in the Cylon ship! It's entertaining to me and I look forward to watching it on fridays. I'm just glad it's not opposite Enterprise like SG-1 is..

I did like that scene between Apollo and Cmdr Adama "If it were you - we'd never leave" 

300834[/snapback]

I loved that scene. I actually plan to watch it again because I think Apollo choked up a bit after that. I want to see for sure whether or not he did. I loved the whole idea that they would thoughtlessly, but very humanly, risk everyone for one person (until they were forced to face what they were doing). The needs of the one.....

And I liked the spontaneous cheering when Starbuck was found.

For the most part, the jury is out with me. I like the show's somber, brooding tone. It made that spontaneous outpouring of joy so perfect. But it also has some glaring flaws.

If they would get rid of Baltar and that female Cylon hallucination this would be a pretty good show.

I couldn't agree more.

I liked the show better than I thought I would. I missed the 1st coupl of episode since I just got back to work and got my cable on. I like the Original BSG better though. When I was a kid I probably like that better than Trek for a time. For the record Star Buck is pretty hot in the new show but I would have preferred she be a he.

I thought it was raelly good. The graphics were totally awesome, especially for a tv show. However, even my mom pointed this out, is that they are all whispering all the time, etc, and it does kinda get on your nerves. But over all it was top, and love to see another series come out