Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Data and contractions

Well, minor little nitpicks like that don't really matter.

At least IMO.

Like Spock, the point of Data was to be the "exposition" character, who explains things to the audience, so he did that well enough.

I think as an android he's got some limits like the whistle thingy. As human, Spinner has his limits too and I believe its prolly a slip up. People make mistakes. Data... well, the man who played him slipped.

In The Big Goodbye, Data uses a lot of contractions on the holodeck when Bev asks where Picard is.

"He's on ice." "He's being grilled."

328134[/snapback]

I noticed quite a few in "The Big Goodbye".

I was just watching "In Theory" and spotted 2 contractions within the same scene.

Data says "I'll join you..." and "You're not my mother!"

328053[/snapback]

You missed one, VBG. At the beginning of that scene when he first enters Jenna's quarters, Data calls out "Honey, I'm home."

I was watching Datalore on Spike today and there was one slip up when it did actually matter. The whole plot hinged on Wes realizing that Lore was impersonating Data because he used contractions. So after Lore is beamed into space (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!) and Picard, Riker, etc. come into the cargo bay Picard asks Data if he is all right and Data replies "I'm fine, sir."

I was watching Datalore on Spike today and there was one slip up when it did actually matter. The whole plot hinged on Wes realizing that Lore was impersonating Data because he used contractions. So after Lore is beamed into space (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!) and Picard, Riker, etc. come into the cargo bay Picard asks Data if he is all right and Data replies "I'm fine, sir."

339086[/snapback]

I think that is the one most of us think of since it makes such a difference in the whole plot of that episode.

As for the "Honey, I'm Home" one, I always just wrote it off as being he was mimicking the age old phrase(well, for that century it would be age old by then) and thus it would be a phrase he could say. But then we all could argue that if he cannot say them at all it should have been "Honey, I am home" regardless of whether or not it was a phrase he was mimicking.

Contractions or not I love Data. He has the ability to be without raw emotion and yet show some...feelings. :lol:

I was watching "Frame of Mind" earlier today, Data and Riker were going over lines in the play when I noticed that Data said "You're".

I've often wondered why it was that Data could say Your but couldn't say You're and their or there but not they're.