Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

How Would You Rate "Daedalus"?

What rating would you give "Daedalus" out of 10?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Daedalus" out of 10?

I gave this episode an 8. I don't know exactly what it was missing for me but it was missing something.

Click For Spoiler

7.5. I wasn't all that impressed with the episode. The whole transporter rescue thing sorta reminded me of the TOS episode The Tholian Web.

I gave it also a 9.5 and it was slightly similar to "The Tholian Web"and

Click For Spoiler
it was interesting that the inventor of the Transporter was black same way as Richard Daystrom also black invented the M5 Computers that the Enterprise NCC-1701 uses as for T'Pol and trip friction finally being more Vulcan after reading the Kiy'Shara ("T'Pol beginning the Enlightenment stage")More to the way Spock would eventually be like
and any event Engineering will always need Trip.

:laugh: :blink: :o :o

Edited by mj

Well, due to many phone calls it only took me 3 1/2 hours to watch the episode but I enjoyed it. I gave it an 8.5, not the greatest episode of the franchise but not a bad one either.

Not quite up to the same standard as the Soong and Vulcan arcs and "Home." A great many wonderful parts that don't quite add up to a satisfying whole. Something seemed a bit "off."

Click For Spoiler
Maybe I was just peeved at Archer. I'm not surprised that Trip was so insubordinate with him. I thought he was right about Archer putting Emory's wishes ahead of ship safety. He seemed too dismissive of both Trip and T'Pol. Yes, they seem to be "de-romanticizng" Trip and T'Pol. I would be distressed except I know what Coto is planning for those two. It's quite the twist :blink: :o

Don't forget to give UPN your feedback and tell them you watched. They need to know with this episode having so MANY pre-emptions. :o Blue Crystal, honey, don't be too angry with T'Pol. Nifty happenings are in store for the two of them. This I promise. Hee. :laugh: :o

http://www.upn.com/info/feedback_form.shtml

Let them know after every episode.

Edited by MoulinRouge

4, I didn't like it at all.

Click For Spoiler
The story simply wasn't compelling - a stranger comes aboard in search of his son - we'd never connected with Emory before so it was hard to get invested in his dilemma. There wasn't a lot of action and no real deep ethical question.

I do like that they are showing Trip as more outspoken to Archer when he disagrees with him. This is a positive change from the season one Trip that idolized everything Archer did. I thought Archer and Trip had some good dialogue that went a long way in restoring the onscreen friendship they previously displayed. But I do think the relationship now is closer to equals than the leader follower arrangement of the first season.

I too would be quite happy with how they're closing up the Trip/T'Pol thing but I know they're still going to do something to ruin it. (MR could you share - I keep reading all these cryptic clues about this relationship in the various interviews and just imagining what they mean - turns me more and more off of ENT than knowing. The tone of all the "blurbs" makes it prety clear I wont' like it)

Generally, if all epi's were like this I wouldn't have any interest left in ENT left but I keep hoping we'll see some more epi's like the Augments Arc.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I gave this a 9.5. I thought it was a very good episode.

Click For Spoiler
I like how Manny Coto once again made a tie in to TNG when Emory talked about Cochrene's drinking. And Archer spoke of playing with plastic toy Lazer Pistols which I took as a nod to TOS's pilot episode.

You can sure see where the budget slashing is going on, the season Premier and they never leave the ship. I'm afraid that this puts the writers in a box. I am hoping for better things to come.

End Transmission....

This episode wasn't very good.

Click For Spoiler
So this guy Quinn has been wandering around the cosmos as ball of energy for 15 years?
Sounds like a TOS plot to me.

I enjoy the fact that the Enterprise transporter is in the middle of the hallway and not in its own seperate room. Every hall should have one. Pop machine, candy machine, transporter. :laugh:

Edited by Essoq

I gave it a ten, and if you don't like it I'll just transport you. Besides.... the sides story is going to lead to something big in this or next season.

I'm giving it an 8.. A pretty good episode but it left me wanting more for some reason..

It was okay, and I gave it a 7.5. I could have liked it more, but it was plodding along so slowly, as others have pointed out.

Click For Spoiler

You can sure see where the budget slashing is going on, the season Premier and they never leave the ship.  I'm afraid that this puts the writers in a box.  I am hoping for better things to come.

End Transmission....

296737[/snapback]

It wasn't quite the season premier, that was a few months ago. But I would have liked to see some of the episode done in other locations too.

Click For Spoiler

296851[/snapback]

I thought the same thing.

Click For Spoiler

mj and VBG, I think you you both have hit on the central flaw of the episode.

Click For Spoiler
There was no emotional payoff for the audience because the audience had nothing invested in the emory/archer relationship.

The focus of the episode was Emory and his daughter, but it should have been on the EFFECT that the Ericksons had on Archer and the crew.

Had they, as VBG mentioned, let Archer in on the real 'experiment' and thus made him part of the conspiracy from the beginning, it would have completely transformed the episode.

We would have had Archer risking everything (in a very Kirk-like fashion, I might add) to help his 'family'. His reaction and inner conflict would have added weight to the Emory/Archer relationship.

The conflict of the episode would then be Archer verses Trip (especially if the dead crewman had been from engineering and not security).

I could well imagine the Trip/T'pol relationship and T'pol's embracing of Surak's teachings as, not just a side story, but an important factor in the ultimate confrontation between Trip and Archer.

We could have even had a reference to the TOS episode "Obsession", when Spock and McCoy confronted Kirk, by repeating word for word the 'by the book phrasing' when Trip and T'pol force Archer to tell them whats going on or face being relieved of command.

...but as it is, all we got was a poorly executed rehash of other Trek episodes.

A genius who created a technological break through at an early age and has been living in the shadow of his past glory. (Daystrom from TOS "The Ultimate Computer", Dr.Stubbs from TNG "Evolution")

A person(s) trapped in a transporter. (The crew of the Yosemite in TNG "Realm of Fear", the Talaxian victims of the attack on Rinax in VOY "Jetrel")

The scientist obsessed with using transporter technology to save the person(s) harmed by their past inventions, but ultimately fails. (Dr. Ma'Bor Jetrel, again, from the VOY episode "Jetrel")

Given the Augment and Vulcan arcs, not to mention the upcoming Romulan and Mirror universe storylines, this episode seemed to be a waste.

They can do better...they have proven it.

Edited by welfconfed

Click For Spoiler

296888[/snapback]

This is a good analysis of the shortcomings of an episode which had the potential to be a compelling story, but fell short.

Click For Spoiler

Click For Spoiler
   There was no emotional payoff for the audience because the audience had nothing invested in the emory/archer relationship.

The focus of the episode was Emory and his daughter, but it should have been on the EFFECT that the Ericksons had on Archer and the crew.

Had they, as VBG mentioned, let Archer in on the real 'experiment' and thus made him part of the conspiracy from the beginning, it would have completely transformed the episode.

We would have had Archer risking everything (in a very Kirk-like fashion, I might add) to help his 'family'. His reaction and inner conflict would have added weight to the Emory/Archer relationship.

The conflict of the episode would then be Archer verses Trip (especially if the dead crewman had been from engineering and not security).

I could well imagine the Trip/T'pol relationship and T'pol's embracing of Surak's teachings as, not just a side story, but an important factor in the ultimate confrontation between Trip and Archer.

We could have even had a reference to the TOS episode "Obsession", when Spock and McCoy confronted Kirk, by repeating word for word the 'by the book phrasing' when Trip and T'pol force Archer to tell them whats going on or face being relieved of command.  

...but as it is, all we got was a poorly executed rehash of other Trek episodes.

A genius who created a technological break through at an early age and has been living in the shadow of his past glory. (Daystrom from TOS "The Ultimate Computer", Dr.Stubbs from TNG "Evolution")

A person(s) trapped in a transporter. (The crew of the Yosemite in TNG "Realm of Fear", the Talaxian victims of the attack on Rinax in VOY "Jetrel")

The scientist obsessed with using transporter technology to save the person(s) harmed by their past inventions, but ultimately fails. (Dr. Ma'Bor Jetrel, again, from the VOY episode "Jetrel")

Given the Augment and Vulcan arcs, not to mention the upcoming Romulan and Mirror universe storylines, this episode seemed to be a waste.

They can do better...they have proven it.  

296888[/snapback]

This is a good analysis of the shortcomings of an episode which had the potential to be a compelling story, but fell short.

Click For Spoiler
I do wonder if it was just the script. Some rehashings have turned out all right. I wonder how it would have been if Tony Todd played the role of Erickson.

296962[/snapback]

Thanks mj.

Click For Spoiler

I think you are right, it probably was just the script.

After all, the reuse of themes, concepts, and even plot points, is hardly unique to Enterprise, but if it is done well nobody points it out. :laugh:

I would love to see Tony Todd on Enterprise in any role. He is an extremely talented actor.

From his portrayal of the dishonored and suicidal Kern to the elderly Jake Sisko, who spends most of his long life trying to save his father, he has proven he is one of the finest actors to ever work in Trek.

If they produce another Trek series, Tony Todd would definitely be on my short list of possible Captains. He is certainly 'big chair' worthy. :o

I believe he would have helped to breath a little life into the relationship with Archer and better conveyed Ericksons desperation and despair.

(Well, I'm still praying they will use Tony Todd on Enterprise. I think he would make an impressive Romulan. :o :blink: )

Click For Spoiler
Didn't really care too much about the emory/archer relationship. Could have had some flashbacks for effectiveness and exploration of this relationship, but due to budget cuts.....

Well....I finally got to see the episode.

I have to admit that the intro to "Daedalus" was a little strange and *off*.

Was kind of different, which I semi-liked.

Click For Spoiler
Hmm...I'm not so sure about this new T'Pol direction. However, it seems that some of you are liking this change. I have always thought that she was interesting because she was not like Spock. I have no idea where the writers are taking this, but hopefully it will be somewhere good.

I thought the acting was phenomenal in this episode, however, as was pointed out earlier, Archer and Emory seemed a little distant for their supposed prior relations.

And as for Trip, he gets the burnt end of the stick everytime! Glad to see him stand up to Archer's lack of rationality. Archer has changed and is much more spontaneous and less thoughtfull with some of his actions this season. I like it!

I'll *hopefully* get to see it for myself this wkend. I was running late for something and didn't get a chance to record it. Mom did at home, though, so I'll probably watch it when I go back.

Gave it 9. Loved it -

Click For Spoiler
if only to see the end of the stupid Trip / T'Pol thing and maybe even a chance that T'Pol will be redeemed as a believable Vulcan. Archer was back in Season 3 mode - but making wrong decisions. It was digusting that he wouldn't listen to his senior staff and the way he shouted down Trip for putting the safety of the ship and crew first was inexcusable.
Edited by mj

This one scored low for me. I give it 5 points for Bill Cobbs performance, he was the highlight of the show! +1 for the way the "monster" moved around, reminded me of the Companion and +1 for a few technical/visual bones we we're thrown about the Transporters. 7.

8 - not a bad episode. Bill Cobbs was great as Dr. Emory Erickson and I thought the ending was quite sad when his son died.

Sign in to follow this