Sign in to follow this  
jdigs

Pike

:rolleyes: Okay, I've done my research ( as any not sure about details trekkie does) and I know who the man was and that he commanded the Enterprise before Kirk etc etc..but I'm still confused and it's always better to hear an explanation from another fan then startrek.com (Gosh, I luv this board) So all ye expereinced TOS fans..Let er rip on the story of Pike/Jeffrey Hunter

016_06.jpg

016_07.jpg

I know he commanded the only ship (The Enterprise) to go to talos 4 and that he was later in an accident when a baffle plate ruptured and exposed him to Delta rays. Your first picture was obviously the sad result.

what other then that were you looking for?

That is all the information I have as well. I don't think that anything else has been established.

Alrighty then..was just curious why he wasen't the captain for longer instead of Shatner.

:rolleyes: Okay, I've done my research ( as any not sure about details trekkie does) and I know who the man was and that he commanded the Enterprise before Kirk etc etc..but I'm still confused and it's always better to hear an explanation from another fan then startrek.com (Gosh, I luv this board) So all ye expereinced TOS fans..Let er rip on the story of Pike/Jeffrey Hunter

016_06.jpg

016_07.jpg

I can tell you that the chap in the top picture is not Jeffrey Hunter , sorry I can't think of his name off hand.

I got this info from the Encyclopedia:

Pike had two five year misions (Based on spocks line about serving with pike for 11 years)

Pike was then promoted to Fleet captain so Kirk took over

Jeffrey Hunter was not avalible to play Pike when they shot where no man has gone before (2nd Pilot)

so it was re cast with Kirk thats about all there is to him

I saw a biography on Jeffrey Hunter on TV not too long ago and it stated that Hunter's wife felt that the role of Pike on Star Trek was "beneath him," so he ultimately turned it down.

I saw a biography on Jeffrey Hunter on TV not too long ago and it stated that Hunter's wife felt that the role of Pike on Star Trek was "beneath him," so he ultimately turned it down.

how little did she know. she must be kicking herself on a daily basis now. :blink:

Exactly right Indy!! Jeffrey Hunter was offered the part of Capt Christopher Pike when Gene Roddenberry was preparing to film the second pilot. At the time, Hunter was married to a woman who pretty much controlled everything he did. She felt that Jeffrey Hunter was a movie star, and back in the sixties, accepting a role on a TV series pretty much ended your movie career. So she did indeed convince him that the TV role was "beneath him" and the part went to William Shatner. I've always wondered what would have happened if Hunter hadn't listened to his wife. I know we wouldn't have had all of those wonderful TOS movies because Jeffrey Hunter died in 1969 or 1970 (I think), the result of a freak accident.

I know we wouldn't have had all of those wonderful TOS movies because Jeffrey Hunter died in 1969 or 1970 (I think), the result of a freak accident.[/b][/size][/color][/ALIGN]

Did he actually die in 69 or 70? For some reason I thought that he lived through most of the 70's. If his wife at the time was actually controlling his career during this time then she sure did a piss poor job. I don't seem to recall any worthwhile movie during the late 1960's that had his name in the credits.

:dude: Okay, I've done my research ( as any not sure about details trekkie does) and I know who the man was and that he commanded the Enterprise before Kirk etc etc..but I'm still confused and it's always better to hear an explanation from another fan then startrek.com (Gosh, I luv this board) So all ye expereinced TOS fans..Let er rip on the story of Pike/Jeffrey Hunter

016_06.jpg

016_07.jpg

I can tell you that the chap in the top picture is not Jeffrey Hunter , sorry I can't think of his name off hand.

Yes it was Jeffrey Hunter in the top picture. :dude:

Their is a great short story about Pike in one of the strange new world books I think it is one or two and the captains table book about him is good as well. But I do believe that was not Hunter in the first pic I don't rember the actor but I will have to check my star trek encycopedia when I get home to get his name.

Their is a great short story about Pike in one of the strange new world books I think it is one or two and the captains table book about him is good as well.  But I do believe that was not Hunter in the first pic I don't rember the actor but I will have to check my star trek encycopedia when I get home to get his name.

Did you check ?