Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Trek 11 Rumoured To Be Off Paramount's Agenda

Paramount has shown surprising sense. As soon as I heard Berman's idea for the next Trek, I knew it had disaster written all over it.

Considering Nem was a even numbered movie, imagine 11.... :yahoo:

I think Paramount made a wise decision for one by shelving it. Berman's idea sounded quite absurd.

Actually, I have to agree that Berman's idea didn't have enough appeal for even me to want to see it - (something about Star Fleet academy and no known characters)

295104[/snapback]

The movie that has been announced as the Unnamed Star Trek Prequel is set between Enterprise and TOS and is a lead up to the Romulan war. The information at IMDB says nothing about being set at the Academy.

Actually, I have to agree that Berman's idea didn't have enough appeal for even me to want to see it - (something about Star Fleet academy and no known characters)

295104[/snapback]

The movie that has been announced as the Unnamed Star Trek Prequel is set between Enterprise and TOS and is a lead up to the Romulan war. The information at IMDB says nothing about being set at the Academy.

295175[/snapback]

That may be true but I did read it somewhere a few months ago - I remember a thread about it another board.

***edited found a trektoday article

Trektoday

The Star Fleet Academy was originally a concept for a series.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I had read about both the premise of the Academy and the prequel. In either case, it was something that did not strike my interest..so following reading the articles I have not paid too much attention to the possible 11th movie. I might have once again taken notice later on if it had made it out to the theaters.

That may be true but I did read it somewhere a few months ago - I remember a thread about it another board.

***edited found a trektoday article

Trektoday

The Star Fleet Academy was originally a concept for a series.

295192[/snapback]

Thanks for the link, in more than one way. I was reading that article when I noticed a headline in the sidebar about this very topic. Here it is (from TrekToday.com):

A day after rumours emerged that Paramount had shelved Trek XI, a new magazine interview appeared in which Trek executive producer Rick Berman confirmed his idea for a new Trek film was still in a very rudimentary phase.

"We are continuing to develop a project that is in the very early stages," Berman told Dan Madsen for issue 154 of the Star Trek Communicator in an interview that was conducted sometime in December 2004. "It is in a little less of an early stage than it was the last time we spoke, but it is still too early to discuss it. I think there will be some discussion about it in the next couple of months. There is movement."

Yesterday, several online sources suggested that these discussions had already taken place, and that Paramount wanted the idea for the film to be "reworked" as they were "not happy with the direction that the story was headed" (story).

For now still in full production is Star Trek: Enterprise, although Berman indicated he was worried about the show's declining viewership. "The fans have spoken highly of the show this season, which is very encouraging to us, but the ratings don't reflect that, unfortunately," he said. "As to whether UPN is going to be interested in doing the fifth season -- that is something we will find out about in the spring."

However the fate of Enterprise will turn out, Berman said he expected a decision to be made before production begins on the final episodes of the season, allowing the producers to come up with a fitting finale in case of cancellation.

In the full interview, Berman discussed to what extent he and Brannon Braga are still involved with Enterprise, and talked about some upcoming changes for the character of Malcolm Reed.

I really hope they did put the brakes on any script or story about events prior to TOS, TNG, DS9 or VOY. I am completely uninterested in prequels of any sort in this franchise ... it's the main reason I've never been able to get into Enterprise.

Apparently, I am not the only person who feels this way if Enterprises ratings are as low as is indicated in these interviews with Rick Berman.

Good for Paramount.

I don't get you people. :yahoo:

If you would be open minded to the idea of a prequal, set between ENT and TOS, we might have had a Romulan War movie, possibly even a trilogy. I don't understand the stigma among fans about prequals being bad. If a story is good, who cares whut time peroid it's in? :lol:

For those of you whom are glad the film series is shelved for now... Uh... isn't that a bad thing? Whut's next? Will you be happy when ENT ends and we have no Trek at all? :lol:

You people are very... confusing... :flex:

I agree with CJLP that the movie could have been interesting. And the possibility of trying to figure out what the Romulan War would be like is also interesting. They might eventually be able to do that in Enterprise, if the series survives.

I would have probably have eventually seen that movie, although on video or dvd.

I am sorry but I couldn't work up the enthusiasim (sp) gor this one. Nope no siree, I have only ever been wrong once about the LOTR trilogy, so this would have been a giant suckfest. Sorry guys.

I don't get you people. :)

If you would be open minded to the idea of a prequal, set between ENT and TOS, we might have had a Romulan War movie, possibly even a trilogy.  I don't understand the stigma among fans about prequals being bad.  If a story is good, who cares whut time peroid it's in? ;)

For those of you whom are glad the film series is shelved for now...  Uh...  isn't that a bad thing?  Whut's next?  Will you be happy when ENT ends and we have no Trek at all? ;)

You people are very... confusing... :(

295439[/snapback]

It has nothing to do with it being a prequel - that idea doens't bother me - the idea of not having any characters I already know bothers me and the thought of a ST movie about a bunch of baby faced cadets really doesn't appeal to me. I want to see real men (umm, people) B)

Aw, I'm kind of sad. Though I wasn't either excited or bummed about the idea of a new movie, I was thrilled about an excuse to wear my Starfleet uniform in public (ok, so I wear it in public without an excuse, having a reason just makes me feel less socially akward)

Well, I just hope that they do eventually change their minds (You know, wait a few more years, get some better ideas) but come on, it's not going to be stellar given: 1) it's an odd number and 2.) in this day and age, movies usually stink like cat pee

For those of you whom are glad the film series is shelved for now...  Uh...  isn't that a bad thing?  Whut's next?  Will you be happy when ENT ends and we have no Trek at all?

This is something that comes up often. This idea that ANY Trek is better than NO Trek at all regardless of the quality.

I don't believe in it.

I would prefer a rest for the franchise until fresh and solid ideas are offered to the future of the franchise.

If a weakened Trek continues to grow weaker with every movie disaster and tepid show then it may be too late to eventually breathe some new life into the franchise.

In my opinion, NO Trek is better than WEAK Trek, at least for a while.

[/b]In my opinion, NO Trek is better than WEAK Trek, at least for a while.[/b]

296511[/snapback]

It's like making a xerox copy of something ... every incarnation is weaker than the one before. They keep beating this dead horse without any real thought going into the end product and a cheap imitation is all that is going to be handed to us once the film wraps. Hence Insurrection, then Nemesis and now Enterprise ... both mere shadows of the Trek that went before.