Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Which actor/actress turns you off of a movie?

Something Takara said in another thread inspired this post.

I know a lot of actors get paid a lot of money because they're considered box office draws but lately I've been thinking there are more actors/actresses that turn me off from a movie than attract me to one.

Unfortunately many of the ones I don't like are making a lot of movies. The movie must have a very interesting plot or get a lot of favorable write-up before I'd see Tom Cruise, Catherine Zeta Jones, Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan, Russell Crowe - but I will see them

Others like Bruce Willis, Kevin Kostner or Angelina Jolie might actually discourage me from seeing a movie. I felt that way about Jim Carrey for a while but I relented for The Truman show and then The Majestic was really good.

So what actors turn you away?

The only one I can think of right now is Adam Sandler. :laugh:

Julia Roberts has a negative effect on me for some reason and I have a hard time watching one of her movies..

Something Takara said in another thread inspired this post.

294559[/snapback]

UH, I'm assuming you are referring to my comments regarding Leonardo DiCaprio in The Aviator thread I started. LOL

There are definitely more actors/actresses that keep me away from a movie than draw me to it.

When it comes to actors, it's mostly "pretty boys" I seem to have a problem with. I don't have any desire to see Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, etc.

As for actresses, I'll throw in Jennifer Lopez and agree about the others mentioned.

The only actors who really draw me to a theatre are related to Trek. I'll go see movies that Brent Spiner or Patrick Stewart have roles in, for example. Outside of Trek actors/actresses, there aren't any names that will guarantee my appearance at a movie.

Ben Stiller makes me ill.

294596[/snapback]

Hehe i second that i cant stand him,and woody allen is up there in the "you make me sick top 5" B)

Oh yeah, I agree with all the above, Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Brad Pitt, Antonio Banderas... all those "everyone-says-they're-good-looking" guys REALLY annoy me. On top of my list is Leonardo DiCaprio. *ugh* B)

Same goes for "actresses" like Angelina Jolie *eeeew* B)

And I agree with Takara, as long as Mr. Stewart is in the movie, I'm willing to watch it, no matter who else is in it, but no other actor could make me do that B)

The only one I can think of right now is Adam Sandler. B)

294562[/snapback]

294596[/snapback]

Oh, I absolutely agree!! at the top of my list is leonardo dicaprio too, blech! B) I don't like Angelina Jolie either, and I've never seen one of her movies (although I still want to see sky captain) J. Lo. is ick too. I just laugh when I hear about people who want to be her clone, and I don't like Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera, they're like half naked all the time.

Actors that will keep me from seeing a movie at the theatre OR renting:

Nicolas Cage

Richard Gere

Colin Farrell

Ben Affleck

Jack Nicholson - did you guys hear how he talked to Elijah Wood at the Academy Awards last year? Apparently, he told Wood that he'd walked out on LotR: RotK and was quite an *buttocks* about the whole thing. I'm finished with Jack.

Actresses in the same category:

Susan Sarandon

Barbra Streisand

Jennifer Lopez

Melanie Griffith

Catherine Zeta-Jones

Gwyneth Paltrow

Julia Roberts -- sometimes. It really depends on the movie/subject matter.

Now ones that will get me to the theater:

Tobey MacGuire

Jeff Bridges

Johnny Depp

Matt Damon

Tom Cruise - Hoping to see the Tom we saw in A Few Good Men and The Firm

There are no women in this category... not since Meg Ryan crashed and burned with her little extra-marital romp with Russell Crowe. I've just not felt the same about America's sweetheart since that incident.

Edited by gul_nodrog

WEll here goes my list:

Arnold S.( although since he became governor of Calf. I doubt that

he'll be making anymore films)

Eddie Murphy

Bruce Willis

Woody Allen

Clint Eastwood

Sylvester Stalone

Richard Gere (most of the time. But I did see him in "Shall We Dance"

which was a great movie)

I really don't have an actor or actress whose film I won't watch, if I am interested in the subject matter of the film. I almost never go to the theater, and don't care for Jamie Foxx at all, yet I got a lot out of the film "Ray" when I saw it at the theater.

dicaprio, allen, and a fair chunk of the actors/actresses mentioned, I despise Meg Ryan, She totally blew off an interviewer on television, she was supposed to be promoting her movie and was totally mono-sylabic. Not good.

At the moment my turn on actors are, Jason Behr and Viggo Mortensen.

294596[/snapback]

Hehe i second that ...

294613[/snapback]

...never cared for him or Ben Stiller.

294651[/snapback]

Fourthed. Ben Stiller just isn't funny... at all... as far as I'm concerned. B) I honestly didn't see why Meet The Parents was so popular; I thought it was one of the most boring comedies I've ever seen and alot of that was due to Stiller. He tries too hard, imo.

Any thing with adam sandlar and hilary duff and those other teenagers that think they can sing and act and do all this junk. And J-lo! LOL sorry I am having a flash back to a south park episoed.

294596[/snapback]

Hehe i second that ...

294613[/snapback]

...never cared for him or Ben Stiller.

294651[/snapback]

Fourthed. Ben Stiller just isn't funny... at all... as far as I'm concerned. B) I honestly didn't see why Meet The Parents was so popular; I thought it was one of the most boring comedies I've ever seen and alot of that was due to Stiller. He tries too hard, imo.

294748[/snapback]

And the sequel. What was it called? Meet The Fockers? I didn't even bother reading any of the synopses. Ben Stiller it is then, for me. A major turn-off.

Ewwww!! H. Duff makes me sick B) and Jack nicholson was rude to Elijah????!!?? figures. he's always being a dufus at Laker games. Back to Ben Stiller, I was watching one of the easter eggs in LOTR where he was interviewing PJ and he was trying to be funny (this was a scripted interview) but he just came off as arrogant and annoying, totally not funny, and then he started joking about gay stuff so I stopped watching it Bleh

Tom Hanks... everytime reminds me of that horrific performance of Forest Gump. What a inmensly annoying movie. Since watching that I simply can not stand Tom Hanks. I would transport him directly into space if it were up to me. I hate him sooo much... he deserves to be in pain... Of course there are other actors I dont like but they actually have sometimes a good role (Like Jim Carey in the mask but thats it) but not Tom Hanks... Gah I hate him so much?

Life is like a box of chocolates? Damn Right:

Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So your stuck with this indefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a Peanut Butter Cup or an English Toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box... filled with useless brown paper wrappers.

Tom Hanks... everytime reminds me of that horrific performance of Forest Gump. What a inmensly annoying movie. Since watching that I simply can not stand Tom Hanks. I would transport him directly into space if it were up to me. I hate him sooo much... he deserves to be in pain... Of course there are other actors I dont like but they actually have sometimes a good role (Like Jim Carey in the mask but thats it) but not Tom Hanks... Gah I hate him so much?

294904[/snapback]

I think Hanks is a bit overrated, I'll give you that. I didn't like "Philadelphia" at all, I've never been able to sit through "Splash" and "Sleepless in Seattle" had me sleeping in Cincinnati.:bored: I'm pretty tired of him, generally, and tend not to want to see a movie if he is in it.

I loved his "From the Earth to the Moon" series on HBO. But he wasn't acting in it, just narrating at the beginning and end of each episode.

"Forrest Gump" was kind of a surprise win for Hanks (at least to me). I think you'd just about have to be from the southern U.S. to really get it, or at least from a rural area. I'm surprised Hollywood (the Academy) even recognized the movie at all for the Oscars. I liked the movie, but I'm a hick from the sticks. :yahoo:

I was disappointed that Gary Sinise (Lt. Dan "Forrest Gump") didn't win for supporting actor ... although after I saw Kevin Spacey in "The Usual Suspects" I completely understood why he beat Sinise that year. Oh my God ... that is an amazing movie!

I really don't have an actor or actress whose film I won't watch, if I am interested in the subject matter of the film.

294737[/snapback]

This describes me as well although ever since Batman & Robin the thought of seeing any film starring George Clooney makes me cringe.

The only one I have a real problem with is Hilary Duff. She just seems so manufactured and stuck up. Her first album was called Metamorphisis and the explanation was the transformation from a TV star to a music phenomenom. This was her first album! Talk about arrogance.

I have no real problem with any other actor, because I only go to see movies that I'm really interested in seeing so I don't care who's in them. I don't care about director or producer either. It's mostly about premise for me.

^Wasn't that second Tomb Raider movie horrible? Did you see Angelina Jolie punch that shark in the nose? The stupid thing "growled" at her like a lion. It was totally retarded ... and Jolie wants us to take her seriously?

I'm with you, weareborg ... ick!

If I sat down and really gave this a good thought, I could probably come up with a longer list... but these are the ones off hand.

Russell Crowe

Tom Cruise

Leonardo DiCaprio

Jude Law

The other thing is, if they were in a film I wanted to see...I would still go see it regardless, that is if the film was of interest to me. Jim Carey is another guy who gets on my nerves, but I still have seen quite a few films he was in. And some I liked, and some I think his performance ruined the whole film. But I still saw the movies.

Oh, wow - what a topic....

It would be difficult for me to list modern actors I WOULD go to see a movie especially for -- with the exception of every member of the LOTR cast...

Okay...I would pay to stay away from --

Ben Stiller (Starsky and Hutch a COMEDY? Say it ain't so!! But his parents' comedy acts were always hilarious.)

Jack Nicholson (Never thought he was all that)

Leonardo DiCaprio (Chanted "Die, Leo, hurry up and DIE!" as Titanic drew to a close - although Catch Me If You Can is okay.)

Nicholas Cage (Saw National Treasure for aforementioned LOTR cast member)

Angelina Jolie

Jane Fonda (My dad is a Vietnam vet---don't get him started...)

There are others I don't care for - Meg Ryan, George Clooney, Ben Affleck (J. Lo doesn't even belong in an acting category)...but I'll watch them occasionally...

294904[/snapback]

I think Hanks is a bit overrated, I'll give you that. I didn't like "Philadelphia" at all, I've never been able to sit through "Splash" and "Sleepless in Seattle" had me sleeping in Cincinnati.:bored: I'm pretty tired of him, generally, and tend not to want to see a movie if he is in it.

I loved his "From the Earth to the Moon" series on HBO. But he wasn't acting in it, just narrating at the beginning and end of each episode.

"Forrest Gump" was kind of a surprise win for Hanks (at least to me). I think you'd just about have to be from the southern U.S. to really get it, or at least from a rural area. I'm surprised Hollywood (the Academy) even recognized the movie at all for the Oscars. I liked the movie, but I'm a hick from the sticks. :yahoo:

I was disappointed that Gary Sinise (Lt. Dan "Forrest Gump") didn't win for supporting actor ... although after I saw Kevin Spacey in "The Usual Suspects" I completely understood why he beat Sinise that year. Oh my God ... that is an amazing movie!

295299[/snapback]

Ha! Finnally somebody who agrees with me about Hank at least a bit :lol: :lol:

Gary Sinise is good actor, his role in Forrest Gump was the only character that was remotely amusing.

That is another one I cannot stand very much... Nicholas Cage.

And spockstellaiter, you are welcome. He was the one in AI that really annoyed the heck out of me.

Jude Law is BORING.

The only movie I've been able to sit through with Jude Law in it was "The Talented Mr. Ripley." Although I can't stand Gwyneth Paltrow (can you believe she is an Oscar winner? Her and Helen Hunt???), Matt Damon was very "talented" in this particular role. Cate Blanchett, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Matt Damon were all excellent in that movie.