• McCoy's father in Final Frontier
    • Gorkon in Undiscovered Country
    • Kirk in Generations
    • Data in Nemesis
    • Tasha in TNG
    • Lal in TNG
    • Dax in DS9

If you know of any others please mention

Could you please be objective when picking which death scene you thought was the greatest because there are some scenes I know that some of you will find really moving due to personal reasons but I want you to look at each of them as if you do not know the characters and you are JUST seeing their deaths. I mean I didnt really feel much when McCoy's dad died personally, but the scene was so touching and was very very sad. I know that there will be members who will automatically vote Data but I think his death scene wasnt very good. He went to a ship and it blew up. That was it - very little emotion involved. Whereas in Wrath: the look on Kirks face, the separation of two, essentially, brothers with glass. The skin hanging off his face. His touching words. Now THAT was moving!

Oops voted before I read your second post but I still would have had to vote for Data's death. He sacrificed himself to save everything and it was very emotional for me. My second choice is the death of Lal. The scene between her and Data before she shuts down is so magnificent. It always leaves me in tears. Another scene I might have voted for if it had been included was Shinzon's death...

Click For Spoiler

I did the same thing Takara!

Spock in Wrath of Khan. Interesting post prometheus, this is two days in a row you have read my mind and posted about what I was thinking, yesterday it was the talking with your past and future self and now this thread today…

Click For Spoiler

I have been thinking back to the day when we lost Spock and trying to find something which may help them that are still felling the pain of Data’s loss. The most important thing is to not dwell on the loss but concentrate on and do not forget the hope of Data’s memories being downloaded into the B4. Imo, it IS the same as when Spock put his Katra into McCoy, that is where hope sprung eternal and kept me going until the eventual Resurrection. It will happen for Data as well.

Ok prometheus, I have a post :bow: planned for this afternoon, please stay out of my head and allow me to finish the research!

Ok prometheus, I have a post  :bow:  planned for this afternoon, please stay out of my head and allow me to finish the research!

:bow: :) :huh: This is to much. Is He related? :bow:

:P Ivoted for the DAX death. That one had me. :bow: Oh well :bow:

No doubt about it (to me anyways)

Spock

It really was the most emotional and best done death scene.

There is nothing that really toped that. You could see the emotions of everyone in that scene. Yes, I know to many here Data is their favorite character and so think it is saddest to them, but leaving aside what character is your favorite I think one must conclude that the best done is in fact Spock.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

This took great thought. I think Lal was the saddest death. She was just getting started in life. She was not prepared for the awful things that happened to her. I felt bad for her and her father, Data.

I had to vote for Data's death. I knew it was going to happen, but it was still sad. Next would be Lal with Dax in third.

Spock's death. It was so long and drawn out. He knew he would die when he went into that chamber. He knew it would be painful and everything, but he did it, anyway. And in doing this, demonstrated his human side. Sure, it was the "logical" thing to do, but it was also a very human thing. To sacrifice his life for his friends.

Then Kirk, practically running to the engine room. Sliding down the ladder and running. He would have gone right into that chamber if McCoy, Scotty, and some other guy hadn't stopped him, he was so anguished.

"He'll die in there!"

"He's dead already."

That just sealed it. Spock wasn't getting out of this alive. Finally Kirk calms down and walks over to the chamber, calling his friend's name. Spock stands and... tugs his shirt down! He's near death and he still straightens his shirt. He bumps into the wall. And that just set me crying. (Yeah, I'm the weepy type.) The two, holding hands up against the glass, wanting to touch but not being able to.

Spock says some touching lines. Very touching, and very memorable and then... dies. And Kirk just slides down the glass, sitting there and staring off as the camera pulls back. It's just so moving and touching and... wonderfully done. The glass was a great touch.

While Data is my favorite character and I cried when he died, too, I don't think it was as impacting. It was very sudden. No last words, no straigtening his shirt, just... BOOM! And he's gone. And we didn't have as much time to react. Didn't have as much time to see what was happening.

Spock's death earned my vote.

OK, in the end, I voted Spock. It wasn't becuase he was a beloved TOS character, but... it was more of the scene. The way Spock flooded the room he was in with radiation, so he could save the Enterprise. How he bumped into the wall, trying to reach Kirk, his final talk with Kirk as he died, the memorial service, the torpedoe launching, the whole thing was very emotional!

As for Data's death... I'll never forget the look of horror on Troi's face when the Schimitar exploded, with her thinking Picard was onboard. Then when she turned arround to see him on the bridge, the way she asked, "Data?", picard shaking his head, and the utter look of dispair on her face, and how she ran to hug Riker when he enterred the bridge. It's almost a tie!

I have to go with the death of Dax. I just saw that episode for the first time earlier this week, and it just tore me up. I had not realized which episode it was before I watched it and I almost lost it during the goodbye scene with Worf and Dax.

I voted Spock. Just the circumstances and the fact that there was a piece of glass between him and his closest friends... :bow: :bow:

"The good of the many outweighs the needs of the few..or the one" A little paraphrasing but I will never forget that scene. It was powerfully emotional.

Second place to me is one you didn't actually see. It was the TNG episode about the new ensigns and the young Bajoran who was trying to make up for a past mistake. Picard sent her on an undercover mission. The scene on the bridge when Picard told them to scan the debris for Bajoran dna and the sense of loss you could see the crew experienced was very touching

Also, Ambassador K'Ehlyer when she places Alexander's hand into Worf's.

While the answer you all would expect from me is true in many ways, but I did not like how the scene was done, so I think I will vote for Spock and then Dax. I was not expecting her to die at all as I had not heard about the acress wanting to leave.

Scotty playing "Amazing Grace" for Spock on the bag pipes. Oh God that gets me. I love "Amazing Grace" and its so moving on the bag pipes.

This took great thought. I think Lal was the saddest death. She was just getting started in life. She was not prepared for the awful things that happened to her. I felt bad for her and her father, Data.

I agree here, I voted for Lal's death. It was the saddest, first off she was less than a month old, she was only a baby!

As for her father's....I am not going to say it...I was angry and upset. Upset that we lost him(deeply upset), but angry about the way they went about his demise. So as much as I am in love with Data, I voted for Lal.

I have to go with Spock. This was the longest death scene and by far the most dramatic. Both Shatner and Nimoy played it so well that I choke up everytime I see it.

I actually think that Data's death was very well done but in a completly different way. Unlike Spocks death, Data's death was very quick. The clock was ticking, everyone was rushing, then *booom* he was gone and everything was still. The look of sudden shock on everyones face gets to me everytime I see it.

I think the most disapointed death would have to be Kirk's. I'm sorry but falling off a bridge is no way for the man who's saved the galaxy countless times to die.

I'm was also sad that Dax died but I've still not seen the episode yet.

I had to vote Spock because of the intensity of the loss to Kirk, but I really see it as tie with the death of Lal. They were both equally devastating.

However, in terms of pure emotional impact, no movie has ever affected me as strongly as the end of Search for Spock. Definately a whole kleenex box moment.

---------------

"Jim. You're name is Jim."

ok, check me if i'm wrong, but Data and Spock didn't die, and we KNEW they were comin' back - now David's death really struck me, the unfairness of it all, but i voted for Jadzia - her death REALLY bothered me, like, why? ... so Worf could go do another movie? - i wasn't impressed, and found the 'scene' most disturbing of them all, and yup, i seen'em all...

"The good of the many outweighs the needs of the few..or the one"  A little paraphrasing but I will never forget that scene.  It was powerfully emotional.

Second place to me is one you didn't actually see.  It was the TNG episode about the new ensigns and the young Bajoran who was trying to make up for a past mistake.  Picard sent her on an undercover mission.  The scene on the bridge when Picard told them to scan the debris for Bajoran dna  and the sense of loss you could see the crew experienced was very touching

Also,  Ambassador K'Ehlyer when she places Alexander's hand into Worf's.

The episode with Ensign Sito's death was Lower Decks. That was a very moving moment when Picard had to make that announcement and her friends were so stunned by the news. We first saw Sito as a cadet with Wes Crusher and Nicolas Lecarno (Robert Duncan McNeill) in First Duty.

Eventhough he comes back, I voted for Spock's Death.

The DVD even made me Shed some tears....how Strange.....probably the Millionth time I wacthed the Funeral Scene...ah...the Power Of DVD