Sign in to follow this  
trekbabe

Transporter malfunction

Read your profile, and you mentioned siegfried sassoon and that you are interested in war history. Did you know that he was a friend and great inspiration to the ww1 poet Wilfred Owen?

Are you familiar with Owen?

His descriptive poetry of life in the trenches of WW1 are excellent. He was required reading at college, and i was reluctant as i'm not a lover of poetry, but he so impressed me.

Read your profile, and you mentioned siegfried sassoon and that you are interested in war history. Did you know that he was a friend and great inspiration to the ww1 poet Wilfred Owen?

Are you familiar with Owen?

His descriptive poetry  of life in the trenches of WW1 are excellent. He was required reading at college, and i was reluctant as i'm not a lover of poetry, but he so impressed me.

Yes, I believe they both met in a military hospital were Sassoon took on the role of mentor for the young Owen. I have read a lot of both Sassoon and Owen, but by personal favourite is Sassoon.

I find most military history very interesting and the early 20th Century is definitely my favourite period. I think that my favourite topic of the first World War is the campaign against the Ottoman empire in the middle east and Lawrence’s involvement. Arguably the importance of Lawrence is overrated as it was the strategy of Allenby that secured a victory for the Allies, but I find Lawrence’s early spirit and need for excitement indomitable and very enticing when reading his works, although it must be put into context when trying to decide the overall value, but still a very good read. If you are interested in that sort of thing try ‘The Seven Pillars of Wisdom’.

I also like Roman history, and in particular the life of Julius Caesar. He an absolutely fascinating figure and after reading several texts about his life and campaigns, you will realise that Rome never again saw a man of that kind.

P.S. Sorry of not responding sooner.