Sign in to follow this  
trekbabe

Kai Winn

Found this question on another board,and the poster was vabeachguy 33. Could this be our vabeachguy ?

Anyway, he basically wanted to know what people thought of the character, and as i think it is a good discussion topic i would like to know what you all thought of her.

Evil person who is the ultimate corruptor of religion to gain and keep power is my opinion.

I always hoped she would turn out to be better than she did, I wanter her to turn around and be a good girl but then, didn't we all... I guess the best way to explain her is misguided

Wow, that must have been an old posting. I remember posting something about her on ST.COM months ago (Yes that's me :blink:)

I never really liked her character and was utterly disappointed with the last 6 weeks of DS9 in that she was a major focus in a large portion of the episodes. Looking back on the first season I wish they had kept Kai Opaca, I liked that actress and her depiction of what a spiritual leader would be like.

Guest -*CADET_gul_nodrog*-

Kai Winn reminds me of every over-bearing religious leader I've ever seen in person or on t.v. I hated her throughout that series! Especially when she came into Keiko O'Brien's classroom and started lecturing Keiko on Bajoran mumbo-jumbo during class. AAAARGH!

I thought Kai-Winn was very, very annoying. But I think that was the whole point; you weren't supposed to like her. You were supposed to feel the same way about her as Sisko and Kira did. Kira was really only forced to respect her because of the religious title, but it was very obvious that Kira was annoyed everytime Kai-Winn spoke to her.

I disliked her to the point that I wouldn't watch the shows she was in if I wasn't such a DS9 fan. Even now, I rarely watch her episodes. It's nice to have the choice to do that too. I just need another new hard drive now so I can fit the rest of my Voyager and TOS on too.

I disliked her to the point that I wouldn't watch the shows she was in if I wasn't such a DS9 fan. Even now, I rarely watch her episodes. It's nice to have the choice to do that too. I just need another new hard drive now so I can fit the rest of my Voyager and TOS on too.

Then I guess you didn't bother with the 10 Part Ending Arc :wow:

A liar. An assassin. Greedy. Manipulative. Kai Winn was a true politician. She navigated her way to the top, starting I feel, with good intentions but gradually letting power just go to her head. She was there during the occupation. A poor vedek amongst her people. But then over time rose to power. Her manipulation of Vedek Bareil was typical of her drive. I loved it when she found out that she had been doing it with the head of the Cardassian occupation ha ha ha!!! Kai Opaca reminded me of my nasty French teacher so i didnt like her. But Kai Winn did go on to dominate too much in the end. I prferred the whole Dominion element of the finish rather than the Spiritual thing. Has anyone seen a terrible tele film called "Flowers in the Attic" where she plays a wicked mother?

Absolutely agree Prometheus. She is the epitome of "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely". I really would have loved to have seen Kira sock her one....just once lol

Guest Ktrek

Kai Winn was not just a politician but she was a "religous" politician. There are very few things more dangerous in the world than the joining of religion and politics together. It leads to this: :)

Ktrek

I just got season one and two of DS9 and got to see the first and second episodes where she appeared again. God, but she was evil from the beginning! But still, it is good to have someone that you love to hate.

and i do remember her from Flowers in the attic.

Then I guess you didn't bother with the 10 Part Ending Arc :)

No, I've watched every episode of DS9 at least 5 times each. What I meant was that if I wasn't such a big DS9 fan I wouldn't watch those episodes she is in. Since I am a huge DS9 fan I watch them anyway.

The final month and a half of DS9 was great though I thought they should have scaled her role back in it.

The last couple of weeks of DS9 did focus on her character a lot. I think it may have been the combo of both her and Gul Dukat that really made me not like her. Important as it was to the plot, it was like some many saga that I didn't really care about and at times found throughly annoying.

A liar. An assassin. Greedy. Manipulative. Kai Winn was a true politician. She navigated her way to the top, starting I feel, with good intentions but gradually letting power just go to her head. She was there during the occupation. A poor vedek amongst her people. But then over time rose to power. Her manipulation of Vedek Bareil was typical of her drive. I loved it when she found out that she had been doing it with the head of the Cardassian occupation ha ha ha!!! Kai Opaca reminded me of my nasty French teacher so i didnt like her. But Kai Winn did go on to dominate too much in the end. I prferred the whole Dominion element of the finish rather than the Spiritual thing. Has anyone seen a terrible tele film called "Flowers in the Attic" where she plays a wicked mother?

I absolutely agree with everything here. She was all that and more. A villian that you couldn't help but despise. I loved it. Plus the fact that she was played by Louise Fletcher (a.k.a. Nurse Ratched), was even more delicious. Some of the best roles for actors are the heavys and this one qualified. The fact that I see so many post here from people who didn't like her makes her portrayal an unqualified success. In fact, she sort of reminded me of the corrupt popes of the 12 through 14 centuries. Absolute religious power is perhaps the most dangerous of all. Her demise was all the more fitting being consumed by the Pai Wraiths. It showed that all she really did care about was power. I liked her only because I could hate her for what she was.

She did a very good job with the part, I just never liked the character. I would have liked it better to see Kai Opaca or someone like her. But I understand the need for conflict between the Emissary and the Kai in the over all storyline of DS9. Taken as a whole I don't think I'd change anything about DS9 (except maybe Jadzia's death though I liked Ezri too).

I think it woulf have been cool for Jadzia to live, but would her abd Worf then have had a child...where would a baby grow in a joined Trill?

I loved it. Plus the fact that she was played by Louise Fletcher (a.k.a. Nurse Ratched), was even more delicious.

Delicious...i agree!

Her demise was all the more fitting being consumed by the Pai Wraiths. It showed that all she really did care about was power. I liked her only because I could hate her for what she was.

again..so true! It was so fun to hate her. It was refreshing to have a good old fashioned evil person that you could feel good about hating. Her ending did not go for the soft and sweet...she was saved and redeemed, in the end. I was glad that she stayed evil. It would have not made her believable if she had gone straight after all that time.

Oh, I hate Kai Wynn! And it has nothing to do with Louise Fletcher (although - has the woman EVER played a good person role?). She was the epitome of someone who used religion to gain power. Not all religious leaders are like that (Bareil, although I hated him for quite different reasons, seemed to be much more grounded in his religious path). I've only seen the first seven episodes of season seven, and very few of six, although I know how the series ends.

Oh, I hate Kai Wynn!  And it has nothing to do with Louise Fletcher (although - has the woman EVER played a good person role?).

YES! Check her out in a movie named BRAINSTORM from MGM.

Click for Spoiler:

She plays a scientist whom invents a device for recording memory’s directly off the Human brain, those recorded memories can then be played back into another Humans brain. The big deal is that someone dies while the machine is recording the death experience, would you strap on the helmet and have that death experience played back into your mind... What would happen?

I never really liked the way she acted the role, but I liked the role itself, especially the part where she betrays the Prophets to the Pah-Wraiths.

I never really liked the way she acted the role, but I liked the role itself, especially the part where she betrays the Prophets to the Pah-Wraiths.

I thought Louise Fletcher played Winn brilliantly. I detested Kai Winn and i'm sure that is a accredited to her skill as an actress, as much as script and character development.

Yes, I agree that Kai Winn was a character you had to hate...

But, honestly, where could the series have gone if there was no conflict on all fronts?

As much as I liked the character of Vedek Bariel, I just don't think there would have been that much to his being Kai, unless he somehow went bad after taking the position, but that just wouldn't of fit.

The only thing I'd change is Jadzia's death.

Stingray

Yes, I agree that Kai Winn was a character you had to hate...

But, honestly, where could the series have gone if there was no conflict on all fronts?

As much as I liked the character of Vedek Bariel, I just don't think there would have been that much to his being Kai, unless he somehow went bad after taking the position, but that just wouldn't of fit.

The only thing I'd change is Jadzia's death.

Stingray

I understand why Winn was written the way she was, and I agree it probably was needed. Thugh I do think they could have gone in other directions had Opaca stayed on the show. The Kai didn't have to "go bad" to have the conflicts. They could have the ruler of Bajor be at odds with Opaca.

But looking back I wouldn't have them change anything if I was able to. I like DS9 just the way it is. Even bringing Ezri in, but that could be more because of how cute she is :o

I HATED Winn I really wish that they had kept Opaca or a similar character. I thought her character had more depth, and I hate the idea of a corrupt religious leader. I mean imagine someone like her as the Pope.

and I hate the idea of a corrupt religious leader.  I mean imagine someone like her as the Pope.

D o you think we haven't had, or even perhaps still have religious leaders capable of that kind of corruption today?

That's a good point, trekbabe...just because we don't see the corruption doesn't mean it isn't there...

As far as Opaca, based on the way her character was written, albeit for only a few episodes, unless a major change of attitude was written, there would have been no friction between her and Sisko, or even with Kira for that matter.

Could you see Opaca scheming with Minister Jaro?

Stingray