Sign in to follow this  
trekbabe

Kai Winn

and I hate the idea of a corrupt religious leader.  I mean imagine someone like her as the Pope.

D o you think we haven't had, or even perhaps still have religious leaders capable of that kind of corruption today?

Of course there are corrupt religious leaders. And political leaders, and familial leaders. But it's getting so stereotypical - there aren't many times on television now that the priest/pastor/minister/leader isn't the butt of the joke or ridiculed or corrupted. Not all religious leaders ARE corrupt. The only reason I liked Bareil is because he seemed to be honest in his beliefs.

On the other hand, absolute power DOES corrupt absolutely. The blending of church and state on Bajor just is a sign that you must be cautious of the politics AND the religion if that happens!

I do not doubt that we have corrupt religious leaders now, but they do not have political positions, so there is not really a way to compare them to Winn.

Of course there are corrupt religious leaders.  .  Not all religious leaders ARE corrupt.  The only reason I liked Bareil is because he seemed to be honest in his beliefs. 

On the other hand, absolute power DOES corrupt absolutely.  The blending of church and state on Bajor just is a sign that you must be cautious of the politics AND the religion if that happens!

You make a good point here Lady Narana, as does DDillard,regarding political and religous power being usurped by one individual. A very potent mix. Perhaps one couldn't fail to become " corrupt" weilding that kind of power? Maybe Winn's unethical behaviour is a natural consequence brought on by the strain of so much power and responsibility, who knows. I also agree with you that not all RL are corrupt, and with ddillard that because our RL have no political power as such they can't be compared to Winn. However i have no doubt that there are individuals who use the power they do have in ways, both unethical and immoral, that they were not meant to be used.

"Come here, little miss intern..."

Wonderful example.

But to compare Winn to a current role, we would need for someone like the Pope to also be the president or leader of a nation as well.

Louise Fletcher portrayed Kai Winn a bit too well. I simply despised that character. She wanted that position for her own selfish reasons and not for the good of her people. Perhaps she thought both were the same. She was your basic bad politician greedy,selfish and untrustworthy. Being consumed in fire was perhaps a ironic end for her.

Kai Winn's role nearly turned my friend off DS9. He absolutely detested her.

As for me- she's the salt that you rub into the wound. She adds an interesting twist to the political structure of Bajor and the church. Remember variety is the spice of life. It takes all types.

Mind you, I haven't seen all of the seasons yet. I would love to see her get her own back.

Kai Winn was an evil person that used her position to corrupt the faith of her Bajoran followers. She was SO CORRUPTED! that she was working with her peoples enemies to further her rise to the top.

Such an EVIL! person should not have any means of power or high ranking position. Because they will abuse that power to the fullest. There would be no sleep for the weary. :innocent:

Kai Winn was an evil person that used her position to corrupt the faith of her Bajoran followers.  She was SO CORRUPTED! that she was working with her peoples enemies to further her rise to the top.

Such an EVIL! person should not have any means of power or high ranking position.  Because they will abuse that power to the fullest.  There would be no sleep for the weary. :)

Very good point.

Off%20Topic.gifBTW, I love your avitar, it is a great pic of Troi.Off%20Topic.gif

As I mentioned before, Kai Winn is an evil dictator that was finally brought to justice. :andorian:

As I mentioned before, Kai Winn is an evil dictator that was finally brought to justice. :andorian:

Can't wait to see that episode.

I HATE Winn! With a burning passion! She is the most evil of any Star Trek villain that was and ever will be. She is just so annoyingly evil and conniving and such a *beep*! I just cannot believe how she was ever created!

I could not stand her from the 1st moment she appered I got bad vibes from that snake at 1st! I'm glad she perished. Take this Winn :tomcat:

I loved Louise Fletcher as Kai Winn...I loved how she was so evil...She was annoying but I think that was the point...I loved the look that Sisko made on a certain episode when her arrival was announced....I think he cringed....

I love how she knew that Weyoun was lying when she checked his pagh(?)...She was classic!

I didn't like the Dukat/Winn relationship, however...I thought it ruined both characters for me...

Dukat and Winn having sex completely grossed me out! How disgusting.

I liked Kai Opaca very much. It would have been way cool if they had brought her back somehow during Season 7 after Winn had been in power all that time. How satisfying would it have been to have seen the Bajoran clerics kick out Winn and return Opaka to that position. Priceless.

Off all the greatest villians in ST history.... No 1 goes to Khan. No 2 goes to Shinzon.... No 3 goes to Kai Winn.

I think who ever created DS9 and put Winn there knows very well how to exploit her to create one of the greatest, if not the greatest, conflicts in ST history as well as any other shows I know. She has successfully allowed hate to grow and fester in us towards her throughout the shows and even after DS9 has completed. One difference between Winn and other ST villians, we sort of like the other villians. We don't get too emotional about them but as for Winn, our negative emotions just keeps on growing the more we see her mess around. Sometimes I wish I could just take my duster and pretend its a phaser and shot my TV when she's on.

I cant stand that women if anyone deserves to be pushed out a air lock she is top of the list,not many women get me mad but she needs a good slap :wacko:

I think that Kai Winn is hated, because she reminds people how our politicians do the same thing that she did. Use our fears on ignorance to their advantage.

What would you all do if you were shopping one day and there you see... the actress who played Kai Winn?

Normally, if I hate a character enough, I won't watch other movies / shows acted by the same person. I know its irrational but it happend after watching Julia Roberts in My Best Friend's Wedding. It took me a while to get the feeling off my back. It shouldn't happen but it does. Mebbe if I'm Vulcan, I wouldn't have that problem.

I didn't like Kai Winn fom the start, there's always at least one character in each series whom infuriates the fans, she really did the job for DS9.