Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Undiscovered Country vs Generations

Which do you prefer?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Undiscovered Country
    • Generations

The reason I have pit these two films against each other is thus: I think Undiscovered Country is the superior film, but I know that there a lot more younger fans out there who think The Next Generation is the be all and end all of the Star Trek Universe and will always favour a film with members of that series in it. I have noticed that when it comes to films there are a lot of comments on Nemesis and Insurrection and 'TNG' based films but not as much as the TOS films. So here's your chance to vote. Which of these two is the best film?

Well let me think... The Undiscoverd Country is one of my favorite all time films... and Generations is less then half a step above The Final Frontier!

... I'm forced to go with The Undiscoverd Country on this one! B) :)

Well, it's been a long time since I last saw The Undiscovered Country, but if my memory isn't totally screwed up, it is much better then Generations..

Although UD is a much better film overall..I choise Generations just because as Prometheus stated it has TNG cast in it, But I do know that TNG is not the be all and end all of the trek universe..I just like movies with them in it.

I haven't seen it either takara, or actually, I might have a long time ago, but I don't remember it now very well, so I had to null as well. Becuase I'm a tng fan though, I would have to say generations, although maybe this weekend I'll go watch Undiscovered country and post again, if my vote is changed

I haven't seen it either takara, or actually, I might have a long time ago, but I don't remember it now very well, so I had to null as well.  Becuase I'm a tng fan though, I would have to say generations, although maybe this weekend I'll go watch Undiscovered country and post again, if my vote is changed

It's got worf's grandfather in it (played by Michael Dorn) so it gives a couple of quick glimpse to the background of the house of Mough. I wonder if they called it the House of worf back then?

I need to watch The Undiscoverd Country again before I can say. I haven't seen it in a long time. TNG is my favorite Trek, but I think the TOS cast made better movies. First contact was wonderful, but IMO it's the only really great TNG movie. Except for ST5 TOS had fantastic movies.

I picked Undiscovered Country. That is my favorite TOS film. As for Generations, it is in the middle somewhere. My favorite TNG film is First Contact. I really thought it brought out an interesting side of Picard. He had to face his memories as Locutus.

I picked Undiscovered Country, I'm a TOSer originally even though I love all 5 series and now consider DS9 to be my favorite. Thats not to say Generations was bad, just liked UC better.

i just have to say: i voted "Undiscovered", and i am a younger fan (maybe i'm just kidding myself ... hmmm) - my favourite movie is "Nemesis", but that only usurped "Wrath of Khan" after many installments; i think the familial element has been missing in several films, but "Nemesis" brought back some of the depth and romanticism that has been missing - i think quality, in a storyline, has a lot to do with thematics - that's why "Undiscovered" got my vote, and i hope more younger trekkers wiil take the time to 'discover' trekky roots - worthwhile, to say the least...

The following words are intended for those Star Trek fans, TNG or otherwise, who have NOT seen Star Trek VI: The Undiscoverd Country....

GO AND RENT TONIGHT! YOU MUST SEE IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Thank you very much for you time...

THIS ANOUNCEMENT WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE ASSOCIATION OF PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE THAT EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO SEE THE BEST STAR TREK FILMS EVER MADE.

Do you not thin k that the Next Generation films are resorting top too many gimmicks to hold our attention? I mean, new ship, Geordi's new eyes, Data's appearing then submerging emotions, no beard/beard, marriage, tanker tanmper etc etc

Do you not thin k that the Next Generation films are resorting top too many gimmicks to hold our attention? I mean, new ship, Geordi's new eyes, Data's appearing then submerging emotions, no beard/beard, marriage, tanker tanmper etc etc

I love the TNG films but I would have to agree that they seem to throw in too many "gimmicks". I wish they would just focus on what made the Next Generation great in the first place and not tried to be so flashy with the movies.

In reply to Tank, do not worry I have seen both Generations, and The Undiscovered Country(both when they first came out...well GEN in the theaters and UC when it came to video). So when I chose GEN, I was most assuedly making an informed decision.

I voted for Star Trek VI

I'm more of a TNG Fan Than a TOS Fan, But "Country" was just a Better film, IMO.

and if ya notice

Click for Spoiler:

They Used Stock Footage from "Country" of Chang's Bird Of Prey Exploding, when they showed The Duras Sisters' Bird Of Prey Explode in "Generations"

In reply to Tank, do not worry I have seen both Generations, and The Undiscovered Country(both when they first came out...well GEN in the theaters and UC when it came to video). So when I chose GEN, I was most assuedly making an informed decision.

I have no problem with anyone who has seen both and still thinks that Generations is a better movie. I just think that as what I think to be the best movie of all time everyone should take the time to watch the Undiscoverd Country.

Almost a dead heat... at the time if this post UC isd ahead by 2....

:lol: Where are my fellow TNG'ers when we need them....

OK, maybe I say this because Generations is 4th out of TNG movies for me, around 6 or 7 out of the ten for me....And UC is ranked 10th on my list.

UC. In Generations something happened I have never received a good answer for; why did Kirk not know he was in the nexus for some seventy years, remember Guinan said From his point of view, he just got here or something like that. The point was it implied he had been being held in limbo all those years, not enjoying his hearts content like everyone else who was in the Nexus, why?

UC. In Generations something happened I have never received a good answer for; why did Kirk not know he was in the nexus for some seventy years, remember Guinan said From his point of view, he just got here or something like that. The point was it implied he had been being held in limbo all those years, not enjoying his hearts content like everyone else who was in the Nexus, why?

Guinnan, "Time has no meaning here."

Kirk wasn't in the Nexus for 78 years. Picard arrived in the Nexus, realised his "fantasy" was just that, a fantasy. Then Guinnan's echo shows up, and decides to send Picard to when Kirk first got to the Nexus as well. She can do that, seeing as time has no meaning there. So, after a while, Picard convinces him it isn't real, and to go back with him to save Verridian III. Hope that helps. :lol:

As far as The Undiscovered Country vs. Generations? I don't think that's a fair comparrison as STVI:TUC is the final adventure of TOS while ST:G is the first movie adventure of TNG.

Stardate:213436.9

I voted for Generations because first i like any movie/episode that has different shows mix together.second because ever since i started watching TNG i wanted to see a episode or movie where Picard and Kirk meet.and third because it seemed to me wih Kirks death :dude::dude: that TOS seemed to be passing the torch kinda to TNG.

Also i did not know that in Star Trek 6 that Kirk and Mccoys "laywer" was Worfs grandfather.I thought it was just coincidence that Micheal Dorn played him.