Sign in to follow this  
Gotabite

Tom and B'Elanna

yes I was glad that they got married, I thought that was one of the best episodes out of the series. I also thought they were a good match and the chemistry worked so well between the two of them.

First let me apologize for my opinion because I know many people like the romance and there were some touching moments but overall I voted no. It never worked for me. I felt they were very different in energy levels (best word I can think of). B'Elanna had a strong personality, Tom was a bit of whiner. I know they tried to make him heroic a couple of times like the arc where he went undercover etc and when he disobeyed an order to save the water planet.

I guess the difference is that B'Elanna had a hard time deciding what was right at times but you knew she would do the "right" thing with all her intensity. Whereas with Tom you were always kind of wondering if he'd do the "right" thing but there was no doubt he knew what the right thing was.

I guess when they added B'Elanna's bout with depression that was supposed to make her less "strong". But I just never felt Tom had the strength she needed in an equal partner. I really felt the episode where Kes traveled into the future and was married to Tom made a better match. However, I will add that by the time B'Elanna wanted to try to change her baby's dna he did show strength in doing the right thing to protect his baby.

But since they did get married I felt cheated they didn't show a ceremony. B)

Please, don't apologize for your opinion, what I wanted was a good look at the dynamics of that relationship, by Voyager fans. I too initially had lots of questions and concerns about why the writers were getting Tom and B'Elanna involved.........I initially did not like Tom. He seemed so shallow, and stuck on himself. He came across as a "ladies man," not interested in relationships at all. B'Elanna seemed like a challenge to him. Then later, I began to think that they both had more in common than I had realized. Both were fearful of involvement, both had self confidence issues, and both had rejection issues, stemming from their relationships with their fathers. I guess they both helped each other to grow and become more complete inside.......and their relationship became more perfect as the Voyager journey progressed............I too felt cheated that we didn't see the wedding. :)

First let me apologize for my opinion because I know many people like the romance and there were some touching moments but overall I voted no.  It never worked for me.  I felt they were very different in energy levels (best word I can think of).  B'Elanna had a strong personality, Tom was a bit of whiner.  I know they tried to make him heroic a couple of times like the arc where he went undercover etc and when he disobeyed an order to save the water planet.

I guess the difference is that B'Elanna had a hard time deciding what was right at times but you knew she would do the "right" thing with all her intensity.  Whereas with Tom you were always kind of wondering if he'd do the "right" thing but there was no doubt he knew what the right thing was. 

I guess when they added B'Elanna's bout with depression that was supposed to make her less "strong".  But I just never felt Tom had the strength she needed in an equal partner.  I really felt the episode where Kes traveled into the future and was married to Tom made a better match.  However, I will add that by the time B'Elanna wanted to try to change her baby's dna he did show strength in doing the right thing to protect his baby.

But since they did get married I felt cheated they didn't show a ceremony.  :laugh:

293996[/snapback]

I was definitely glad to see them get together and then to marry. I thought they made a wonderful couple. Their personalities complement each other so well.

I thought that it was nice that two regular crewmembers finally got married in a Star Trek series. It is nice to know that so far into the future the institution of marriage, which in my mind is a very special and treasured thing, is alive and well. Especially in light of the way in which nowadays it has lost a lot of it's sanctity through the ease of divorce and people just not being bothered any more.

As for Tom and B'Ellanna... well, it's a tricky one. There are a lot of successful relationships that stem from differences. Often we see different personalities marry each other and the two mellow together to each become a sort of a hybrid character akin to each other. The laid back ness of Tom mellowed out B'Ellanna, and her passionate nature perhaps spiced him up a bit, who knows. They were both rebellious to begin with and got into a lot of trouble so i suppose they did have a good few things in common.

I would never have called them loveable though. A better match than Seven and Chakotay !!!! any day!

You put a lot of thought into your response, Prometheus, and bought out some excellent points. Sometimes differences in couples is part of what makes a relationship work, because what the one partner lacks the other partner brings to the relationship......in other words, they compliment each other. B'Elanna and Tom took the time to work out their insecurities, and other issues over time. They may not have been the most outwardly loveable couple. But I felt that their passion for each other and their commitment was very deep. This is what is lacking with many"real" couples.

I thought that it was nice that two regular crewmembers finally got married in a Star Trek series. It is nice to know that so far into the future the institution of marriage, which in my mind is a very special and treasured thing, is alive and well. Especially in light of the way in which nowadays it has lost a lot of it's sanctity through the ease of divorce and people just not being bothered any more.

As for Tom and B'Ellanna... well, it's a tricky one. There are a lot of successful relationships that stem from differences. Often we see different personalities marry each other and the two mellow together to each become a sort of a hybrid character akin to each other. The laid back ness of Tom mellowed out B'Ellanna, and her passionate nature perhaps spiced him up a bit, who knows. They were both rebellious to begin with and got into a lot of trouble so i suppose they did have a good few things in common.

I would never have called them loveable though. A better match than Seven and Chakotay !!!! any day!

298155[/snapback]

well i suppose we did kinda see their wedding with the demon-clones i realize it wasnt them but the clones were exact replicas down to their memories and reacted in identical fashion to the originals..

but i concur that sometimes the most unlikely opposites find themselves in the most fullfiling relationships because they compliment each other so well ... keep each other on their toes so to speak (and with these two .. is there any doubt?)

I don't think they were a great match but they certainly weren't a bad match and Voyager probably needed a new relationship.

I don't think they were a great match but they certainly weren't a bad match and Voyager probably needed a new relationship.

304115[/snapback]

would love to know more about why you did not view them as a good match.

I too felt cheated that we didn't see the wedding. :yahoo:

I would rather have seen the honeymoon. :dude:

Why am I not surprised? :P And no, I didn't feel this worked. B'Elanna and Vorik should've hooked up. Vorik listed great reasons why they'd be a good match and he paid attention to all her likes and dislikes. He was a great date, and he was just simply waaaaay hotter than Paris. To quote, Van Roy, I'd do him. In a heartbeat.

Edited by SeeingEyeBorg

First let me apologize for my opinion because I know many people like the romance and there were some touching moments but overall I voted no. It never worked for me. I felt they were very different in energy levels (best word I can think of). B'Elanna had a strong personality, Tom was a bit of whiner. I know they tried to make him heroic a couple of times like the arc where he went undercover etc and when he disobeyed an order to save the water planet.

I guess the difference is that B'Elanna had a hard time deciding what was right at times but you knew she would do the "right" thing with all her intensity. Whereas with Tom you were always kind of wondering if he'd do the "right" thing but there was no doubt he knew what the right thing was.

I guess when they added B'Elanna's bout with depression that was supposed to make her less "strong". But I just never felt Tom had the strength she needed in an equal partner. I really felt the episode where Kes traveled into the future and was married to Tom made a better match. However, I will add that by the time B'Elanna wanted to try to change her baby's dna he did show strength in doing the right thing to protect his baby.

But since they did get married I felt cheated they didn't show a ceremony. :yahoo:

I agree with everything you said, UnicornHunter. These are all the reasons why I didn't like Tomlanna.

Why couldn't we have them explore B'Elanna's hidden feelings for Chakotay? Remember the episode when all the ship's crew were having visions (one of the first epis, not "Bliss")? B'Elanna had a VERY sexy moment with Chakotay...why didn't they expand on THAT!?!

I suppose, within a limited gene pool of a crew of only around 100, you are going to get some matches which you wouldn't normally get within the vast expanse of the Federation.

Maybe that is a good thing - it lowers the expectations a little and focuses the mind - sometimes the more choice you have and the more there is around you, the harder it is to find what you really want. Take supermarkets - you often pass over some nice food sometimes because you think that you will find something even nicer in the next isle; and the amount of produce fases you. Then, in a small store where you're choice is limited you sometimes end up with exactly what you need and can find and you really appreciate it, becasue it was the only choice and youweren't fogged bu other choices etc.

Another example is cable tv. With 100s of channels, sometimes I can find nothing to watch - but when I was abroad last year, there were only 4 channels and I watched some awful programmes but appreciated them becasue they were the best at hand and I was happy.

Does this make sense to anyone or am I talking rubbish? I am not saying that Tom and B'lanna ended up with each other because there was nothing else. But because there was less choice around, they apreciated each other more...

I will admit that during the first 6 seasons I did not care for these two at all. I have watched all of Voyager except the last 3 episodes of season 7 and up until then they just bore me to death.

Since watching the episode "Drive", I have viewed them in a different light. In the past they did not show me enough that I could honestly say they were in love, when B'Elanna was faced with the decision to let him go but at the last minute she decided to accept his interests and made those interests her own is something I can relate to.

My ex-husband/boyfriend/fiance have been together for almost 7 years and we have had our share of problems. I never liked Star Trek until I too like B'Elanna showed an interested into what it was that interested our significant other.

During this episode when Tom shut down the Delta Flyer and put his priority (B'Elanna) first it made me realize that love can and will conquer all.

It made me realize that although Tom had a love for piloting that his main love was for B'Elanna and seeing to it that their relationship worked. Just like me and my Jimmy, realizing just how important his passions in life are to him made me realize that in the end I am still his number one passion.

So yes, to answer the question here, I am glad that the writers wrote these two together and that they indeed did marry.

Yes, do they work together good are right eatch other.On the other hand not when they argue they go at it good..Am glad they got together way out in space they good eatch other..!!

post-761-1215287982.jpg

post-761-1215288039.jpg

post-761-1215288133.jpg

Yes-Tom and 'Lanna were a great couple. Just watched my vid of "The Swarm" today, and the intro scene, with the two before the "Lobster bisque" guys popped in. The producers did great with the couple-alas, I wish the same could have been done for Kes and Neelix-yes, I do like that pairing-particularly the former. Anyhoo, yes, I agree with marrying the couple. 'Lineage" is an ep, that comes immediately to mind- a fine ST story, in general, as well. Loved the scene, very touching, where Tom tells her, 'I will never leave you"....good stuff.

I loved them!! I'm such a big P/T fan!!!!! I thought they were a great match and the actors had great chemistry together. I've seen them on stage together at a convention and they are great!

I say that they were the best mach in the latter 3 series, sorry all Trip and T'Pol fans but thats that. Now i say that because they added elements to each other that they never would have had other wise, and it's not all that strange, i mean if John Caonnor leader of the human resistance and Cameron a cyborg killing machine can find some type of love, Tom and B'Elanna are not strange at all. Just to let you know i'm a big John/Cameron fan as well, and i think Fox made a mistake cancelling the show, TSCC, FIREFLY, and DARK ANGEL will live on. AND we need a new star trek movie based on Voyager. :) :frusty:

While not my No. 1 pair on the series, ya bet I liked those two! Great matchup. I think that ''Lineage'' stands out for me as one of my favorite latter-season, and Tom-'Lanna eps..particularly the end, when he swears to a fearful B'Elanna, haunted by her parents' failure as a couple, '' I'll never leave you''. It was good drama, and a good example of what Voyager could be, and do-and trek in general.

Tese are all good points to me, for both sides. But one thing we need to remeber, that "we need to find and nurture any happeness, because we may not know how long it will be there. I think that explains Tom and Lanna's relation ship, because, they found there love, nurtured it, and stayed true to it, even at the end of the show, when the crews fates were uncertain. Come on people keep posting, we need more.