Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VaBeachGuy

Me in 1972

I found a box of slides that my father had that my grandfather had taken in 1972, in looking through them I found a couple of pictures of me and 2 of my brothers sitting on my grandfather's fire truck (My grandfather was one of the first fire chief's and one of the founders of the College Park fire department so they dedicated one of the old fire trucks to him).

As a little boy was always a source of pride for me to tell my friends that it was "My" grandfathers fire truck and that he was the chief and to point out the plaque on the side with his name on it.

I don't believe the fire department has the truck any longer so when I found these slides I was VERY happy.

The quality of these pics isn't great because I had to project the slides onto the wall and then take a pic of it. I plan on getting all of the slides turned into pictures but I wanted to share these now. (I'm the one in the middle)

1972_a.JPG

1972_b.JPG

Thanks. One thing I'll always remember about it is my grandfather's funeral even I was only 7 at the time (1976). After the funeral services they took his casket out and put it on the back of that truck instead of in a hearse.

Then when the funeral procession drove into the cemetery they had two of the current (in 1976) fire trucks at the entrance with their ladders raised and crossed so that he would pass under them.

It was a sad occasion since it was a funeral of course but it was also a special thing that really sticks out in my mind.

Those are really cool pics VBG i dont think you will see those fire trucks anymore except mabe in a museum those things are collectors items these days :elephant:

Those are really cool pics VBG i dont think you will see those fire trucks anymore except mabe in a museum those things are collectors items these days :elephant:

291437[/snapback]

That's for sure, I think that truck was one from 1955 if I remember correctly. Some of the other slides I have show trucks much older though. The oldest one is one that was horse drawn and had to be pumped by hand to get the water out. Once I get the prints made I'm going to call the College Park Fire Department and see if they'd like copies. They probably have pictures of their past trucks but you never know.

Cool pics! I remember those fire trucks. When I was 3 years old and fracture my ankle I was in one to the hospital. I still remember the ride. I was very cool.

That's for sure, I think that truck was one from 1955 if I remember correctly. Some of the other slides I have show trucks much older though. The oldest one is one that was horse drawn and had to be pumped by hand to get the water out. Once I get the prints made I'm going to call the College Park Fire Department and see if they'd like copies. They probably have pictures of their past trucks but you never know.

291438[/snapback]

1955 thats a classice truck then and you never know they might not have the pics you have,i would give them a call,i am sure if they dont have them they would apprecatie them,fire men are a close family and history is something they pride them selfs on,even the fire stations here have pics of old trucks and fire crews hanging up.

Yeah I was just on their web site and they only have pics of the new trucks. Their "History" page wasn't real in depth but contains references to some of the old trucks I have pictures of, like the hand pump one from 1925.

It would be pretty cool if I could provide some photos for them to use, it's not quite the same as being a member but it's a contribution.

Those are some great pics VBG. Thanks for posting them. And I enjoyed your posts about your grandfather and his fire truck..Those old fire trucks were awesome looking..What happens to old fire trucks I wonder..Probably just like any old vehicle I guess..Seems to me that some of them would be worth restoring..And I'm sure the fire department would be very interested in your pics..

I too wonder what ever happened to them. Once things are back to normal here and I have prints made I plan on taking them to the department and asking about the trucks and see if they would like the copies.

THere's even pics of fires and a plane crash that took place back in the 60's and 70's. IN some of the pics you can see the house go from free standing to a pile or smouldering rubble.

Cool pics to be sure. but at $1 per slide it can get expeisive to get too many of them restored.

I had trouble viewing these. I momentarily posted the pics outside the spoiler to view them, but felt it was improper for me to leave them as such. How else could I view an "attachmentid" ? Perhaps I need to PM VBG. :dude:

I had trouble viewing these.  I momentarily posted the pics outside the spoiler to view them, but felt it was improper for me to leave them as such.  How else could I view an "attachmentid" ?  Perhaps I need to PM VBG. :dude:

291585[/snapback]

I took them out of the spoiler so they should show up for you now.

I wasn't even born for another eight years. :laugh:

Awesome fire engine. :dude:

291628[/snapback]

I was born a year after the picture was taken.

I wasn't even born for another eight years. :dude:

Awesome fire engine. :laugh:

291628[/snapback]

291642[/snapback]

I graduated from high school the year before these were taken!

I had trouble viewing these.  I momentarily posted the pics outside the spoiler to view them, but felt it was improper for me to leave them as such.  How else could I view an "attachmentid" ?  Perhaps I need to PM VBG. :dude:

291585[/snapback]

I took them out of the spoiler so they should show up for you now.

291609[/snapback]

Thanks, VBG! They are, indeed, cool pics! And thanks for sharing them with us. :laugh:

Since I posted that pic of me and 2 of my brothers I thought I'd post this one as well.

This one is actually 2 pictures (as you can see). The top one was taken Dec. 26, 1984. The night before the onr on the right left for the Army. The bottom picture was taken on Thanksgiving of this year, so there's 20 years difference in the picture (20 years and a few less hairs).

1984and2004.jpg

Nice photos VBG. Placing your grandfathers coffin on the firetruck was a really nice idea. My grandfather died a few weeks ago and we carried the coffin about 200 metres from the pub where everyone knew him to the chapel.

Those are great pictures. You certainly were a cutie. Don't be surprised if you see yourself at age 3 doing some rather interesting things in the future. *starts to think about doctored pictures*

Since I posted the pics of me and my brothers sitting on my grandfathers fire truck I thought I'd add a few pictures that are related that we found.

This is one of the fire trucks, taken in April 1955

April_1955.JPG

My father hooking up a hose to the truck in June 1957 (this is the same truck from the firstpost that my brothers and I are sitting on)

June_1957_1.JPG

June_1957_2.JPG

THis is a picture taken at a barn fire in 1957. My father is the one on the far right.

1957_Barn_Fire.JPG

Thanks, I think it's cool to have the pics of me and my brothers sitting on the retired truck that was dedicated to my grandfather and also have pics of the very same truck when it was basically brand new with my father operating it 15 years earlier.

Since I've posted several pictures of me ant 2 of my brothers from various years I thought I'd add this one that I just found from September 11, 1977.

My father surprised us that day (a Saturday) and took us to an ammusment park just outside of Richmond, Va. named Kings Dominion (which is owned by Paramount now).

This was taken on the log ride that day. I was 8 at the time.

September_11_1977a.JPG

Neat pics VBG!!!

I wasn't even born for another eight years. :jem'hadar:

Awesome fire engine. :batman:

291628[/snapback]

291642[/snapback]

I graduated from high school the year before these were taken!

291644[/snapback]

Lol, I wasn't born until sixteen years after those pix were taken! :batman: sorry if that makes u feel old VAB :batman:

291868[/snapback]

I wasn't born till 18 years after those pics were taken.......