Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Fan Fiction Help and Advice Thread

I am pinning this thread for all of you budding writers who wish to share your work on or off the internet. Some of you may be aware that Lessa Soong and I have a website called DataLoreFiction.net (check it out if you're over 18 - it's NC17 content). In getting DLF out to the masses, I did a lot of research into various areas of fan fiction, including fanfic/writers resources, publishers, legalities of fanfic, websites, archives, webrings, etc. and now I want to share my experience with you.

So if you have any questions ranging from where you can publish your stories online to good online dictionaries, ask away and I'll do my best to help out.

Oh yay! There's someone here who can help me when it comes to that! The thing is, I'm a young teenager, not over 18. So, where can I find a good place to publish my stories online?

Don't hestitate to ask any questions. I made mention of the NC-17 rating of DataLoreFiction to warn anyone who was curious about my "credentials". :unsure: The research I have done applies to most levels of fanfiction although I do have some specialized knowledge of the world of NC-17 as well. However, as this is a family board, there will be NO NC-17 stories published in this forum.

The biggest site for publishing stories is FanFiction.net After you register at the site you can post stories in a large number of categories (Anime, Cartoon, Game, Movie, Book, Misc, Comic and TV Show) with a huge number of subcategories in each. The highest rating they take is PG so there are no NC17 allowed.

For Star Trek fan fiction there is Trekiverse which is an archive for stories posted to alt.startrek.creative and its sub- groups (alt.startrek.creative.all-ages, and alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated). There are instructions for posting to the different areas.

There are a large number of sites that will allow you to post stories at them however FanFiction.net is considered to be one of the best.

Atuclly the highest rating I have found at FanFiction.net is R which from wwhat most of the writers put up in that ratuing, it isn't all that far from NC-17

I just need to know where to find a beta reader interested in Stargate Fan fic (I put this up at my site, FF.net and also at a yahoo group I am part of. My usual beta is away for the holidays, and I can't expect her to keep on beta'ing indefinately

Atuclly the highest rating I have found at FanFiction.net is R which from wwhat most of the writers put up in that ratuing, it isn't all that far from NC-17

I just need to know where to find a beta reader interested in Stargate Fan fic (I put this up at my site, FF.net and also at a yahoo group I am part of. My usual beta is away for the holidays, and I can't expect her to keep on beta'ing indefinately

290836[/snapback]

Thanks for the correction Angel. I must admit that the US ratings system does still confuse me at times. I know NC-17 is the highest but I forgot there was an "R" rating.

I've done a quick search in Google for Stargate beta readers and have found a couple that may help. I can't vouch for how good they are or their response time, only supply the links.

Fandoms has a number of beta readers listed for Stargate and Stargate SG-1.

I also found the following listed at another website:

Lauren Freeman: Lauren47@usa.com -- I will beta gen, short or medium length stories, for basic spelling, grammar and of course plot. I do crossovers with Stargate SG-1, Star Trek Voyger, Harry Potter and a few others, e-mail me and I will let you know if I can beta your story. I work as fast as possible, the longer the story the longer it will take. Willing to work a chapter at a time.

Savanna: pacificavenger@hotmail.com -- I have time to beta-read now the summer has began. I beta-read throughout the year, but usually I have the most time in the weekends. I've read hundreds of Stargate SG-1 stories and follow the show every day. I do grammar, spelling, characterization, plot, continuity, death stories, but no crossovers. I can beta-read if you have foreign languages in your story, like French, Dutch, German, or Latin.

Wendy: Sentnlgde@aol.com -- I'm willing to volunteer as a beta readeer. I'm familiar with Kung Fu:The Legend Continues and Stargate SG1 for crossovers, and pretty good in grammar and spelling (I have A.S. in Secretarial Sciences and a B.A. in English). I'm also good at continuity, hopefully okay at characterization, and like good plots. I don't do death stories.

This list was updated in June of this year so hopefully the people listed are still offering their help.

Here are two more sites that listed Stargate beta readers:

The Place of our Legacy and StargateFan.com

I hope these help.

When it comes to movie ratings, tv ratings, game ratings or these fan fiction ratings there is some content that I am not sure where it would fit.

I am sure the story I am writing would fit into PG-13 or R when using the movie ratings.

The content has nudity but does not have any sexual content. I believe this falls into the PG-13 category but I am not sure.

When it comes to movie ratings, tv ratings, game ratings or these fan fiction ratings there is some content that I am not sure where it would fit.

I am sure the story I am writing would fit into PG-13 or R when using the movie ratings.

The content has nudity but does not have any sexual content. I believe this falls into the PG-13 category but I am not sure.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I think PG-13 would work fine. Based on my research, mild sexual content would be an R rating while explicit sexual content would require a NC-17 rating.