Sign in to follow this  
Tank

Scotty's finger...

A few months ago I saw James Dohan at a convention and that's when I found out that he is missing a finger on his right hand. He said that he lost the finger on the beach at D-Day while he was in the Canadian Militery. Ever since I found this out I've been looking for his missing finger during the original series. If you take the time to look you will notice that the directors of TOS do an amazing job of never showing Scotty's right hand. Anyway I haven't gone through all 79 episodes and 6 movies yet looking for it but as of yet I haven't seen his right hand.

Tell me... have you seen Scotty's 4-fingered right hand?

allso if you watch the way he types in ST IV with just 1 finger and if they have to do close ups of his hands they use Hand Dobbles

In MASH, Radar has a withered hand, so they hide his hand too.

The scene in Tomorrow is Yesterday, where they are braking away from the sun and everyone is thrown, Scotty grabs onto that thing in front of the warp core (or what ever) maybe his hand could be seen there, but i never noticed.

In MASH, Radar has a withered hand, so they hide his hand too.

The scene in Tomorrow is Yesterday, where they are braking away from the sun and everyone is thrown, Scotty grabs onto that thing in front of the warp core (or what ever) maybe his hand could be seen there, but i never noticed.

I'm going to have to watch Tomorrow is Yesterday now. I watched the first 7 hours of the marathon (God I love days off!) but I fell asleep right as Tomorrow is Yesterday was starting. I taped it though so perhaps I will go watch it now!

No, I didn't know that James Doohan had a missing finger. Now I guess that I would have to look a little harder to find out this mishap for myself. :)

I never knew that either! thats really interesting! they do a really good job of not showing it! maybe its because I wasn't paying that close attention though, now I have to go look more carefully!

I heard he wore a prosthetic finger to some what mask it on the show, but I've been looking at my old tos dvd's and couldn't find any indication if he was or wasn't wearing one (they really do conceal it a lot.)

I heard he wore a prosthetic finger to some what mask it on the show, but I've been looking at my old tos dvd's and couldn't find any indication if he was or wasn't wearing one (they really do conceal it a lot.)

Ever since I started looking for it I've found that they do a great job of never showing his right hand. he's always standing with his hands behind his back or sometimes he'll have his left hand in the air and his right hand will be hidden by a table or another person.

Interesting,I too did not know that

(LOL - I sure some people must think that we are nuts for find this “interesting” and I can’t say that I don’t understand them)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Yeah, I've known for a few years now.

Never have actually noticed though. I suppose I can watch the TOS Movies I have on DVD to look for it. That reminds me...when he's in engineering, he tends to wear gloves most of the time.

I've known that for quite a few years. If you watch TOS you won't see the missing finger... well that's not right either though. There was only 1 or 2 times where it can be seen in TOS and I forget the episode/episodes. They always used camera angles or him keeping his hand closed or out of site so it wouldn't show.

If you want to see it though watch Relics, especially at the end when he and Geordi are walking through the Enterprise on the way to Scotty's new shuttle pod. I think it's also visible when Scotty is on the bridge of the 1701 with Picard.

I'll try to get a pic for everyone to see.

Just a question. Is it really that important that we see the hand with the missing finger?  :)

James Doohan might find this alittle Creepy, lol.

I don't think he'd care one way or the other. In fact he'd likely understand the curiosity.

If you read his autobiogroghy writen by peter david I do beleve they say in the book also in the nitpickers guide for classic trekkers by phil faran I don't beleve I spelled his name right also says where you can find the shows that you can see his missing finger. The only one I can rember is in star trek V when he's on the bridge ripping the little bag that had his food in it I think you can see it their.

Yeah, I've known for a few years now.

Never have actually noticed though.  I suppose I can watch the TOS Movies I have on DVD to look for it.  That reminds me...when he's in engineering, he tends to wear gloves most of the time.

Stardate:213438.9

I always kinda wondered why he wore gloves in engineering but u never saw anybody else wear them unless they were in a contaminated area.

I have known for quite some time now, I read about it somewhere... and yes I think they do a very good job of covering it up. But that always makes me think...Why? If being four-fingered does not bother Mr. Doohan, then why hide it? I had a substitute teacher who had two fingers missing and never went out of the way to hide it....we students noticed but it was never a big deal. Same thing with my sister, she has a stunted toe...used to bother her since the other kids would pick on her for being "weird", but then they all got older and now she wears sandals, or open toed shoes unafraid to show her feet. I guess that is what always confused me about his missing finger...

It is a shame they (for whatever reason) chose to try and hide it, that could have made a great story, a flashback episode to the day Scotty got his hand stuck in a machine, priceless...

It is a shame they (for whatever reason) chose to try and hide it, that could have made a great story, a flashback episode to the day Scotty got his hand stuck in a machine, priceless...

You have an excellent idea there, Alterego!!! That would make more sense...and could have proved to be an excellent story.