Sign in to follow this  
ussacclaim

Yesterday's Enterprise

Yes I know, I've talked about this episode before but I just saw it again and I noticed something else:

Tasha talks about how the Enterprise-C is more maneuverable than it's Romulan counterparts that it will be up against when it returns to Narendra III, but when the -C is making it's way toward the rift, did anybody notice how slow it turned and moved?

My guess is that since it was already damaged the thrusters and impulse engines to some extent, contributing to the less than ideal speed and maneuverability. So then, why does Tasha even mention maneuverability as an advantage?

Also, if Federation ships have tractor beams in that timeline, do you think it would have been better for the -D to just tractor it into the rift?

Here's some choices if you need them:

1. Tasha didn't know how bad the engines were

2. The -C didn't commit full power to the engines

3. Federation ships don't have tractor beams then

4. It was better for the -D to draw fire from the -C

5. Jeez ussacclaim, quit reading so much into it and watch the blasted show!

PS, if you all select Choice 5 I will be sad. :)

I have to choose option # 1.. I feel that statement was made by Tasha assuming the ship was in perfect working order which the -C certainly wasn't. I also feel that statemet by Tasha was only there to make conversation with Castillo and try to re-assure him..

well maybe the outer radius or event horizon of the rift was not that big and because of that they had to go in slower.... kinda like backing up into a tiny parking space..

I was never satisfied with the explanation they gave for the rift forming in the first place.

They (Data I think) said the rift formed because of the intense concentration of phaser and photon torpedo blasts in the battle zone.

If that were true then there would have to be a LOT of such rifts. I'm sure this can't have been the only battle to have a lot of phasers and torpedos.

I didn't like the way the two Enterprise's just remained stationary while the Klingon's were firing at them. Even assuming the "C" was damaged, the "D" could have moved around a little bit. Plus the Klingons were firing over and over again, while the "D" just fired a few shots now and then, it was only when it continued to fire that it managed to destroy one of the attacking ships.

I was never satisfied with the explanation they gave for the rift forming in the first place.

They (Data I think) said the rift formed because of the intense concentration of phaser and photon torpedo blasts in the battle zone.

If that were true then there would have to be a LOT of such rifts.  I'm sure this can't have been the only battle to have a lot of phasers and torpedos.

289216[/snapback]

I am tryig to imagine LOTS of rifts caused by concentration of phaser and photon blasts in DS9. I think there were lots of those there.

The Enterprise-C could also have been maneuvering slowly because of the close proximity to the temporal rift. It might have caused some distortion in the fabric of time, causing some things to progress more slowly than others.

As for tractor beams, of course they had them! They had them in TOS, so why would a time-line that branched off decades after TOS suddenly have no tractor beams. But if the Ent-D did try to tractor the Ent-C in, they'd still have the same problem - defending the Ent-C. It was probably easier to defend the Ent-C without tractor beams.

Oh, and Lt. Van Roy, that explanation was only a possibility. For all we know, there was some sort of distortion already present, and the battle only caused it to flare up or something.

I would think that the C was moving slower due to damage that was inflicted during the recent Klingon attack that caused the death of Capt. Garrett.

Wouldn't going into the rift at a higher speed be like coming up to an intersection in the fog. If you can't see exactly where you're going, it is better to go slower.

Was anyone surprised at how quickly the Enterprise-D was damaged by the Klingon Birds of Prey, sure there were three of them, but still... The Enterprise-D was the flagship of the fleet, it must have been able to take on those Birds of Prey and not have the ship start ripping apart. Another reason why the Enterprise-C could have been moving slow was to not draw attention to itself, a fast moving ship would draw the fire towards it.

Was anyone surprised at how quickly the Enterprise-D was damaged by the Klingon Birds of Prey, sure there were three of them, but still... The Enterprise-D was the flagship of the fleet, it must have been able to take on those Birds of Prey and not have the ship start ripping apart.

295745[/snapback]

I had wondered about this too. Somebody told me that in this timeline Federation technology isn't as good as in the regular timeline, giving reason as to why the Federation is having a hard time in the war. It kind of makes sense, when in "The Best of Both Worlds" the Enterprise let's fly with all kinds of phasers with a few photon torpedo spreads. I't a cool scene of what a regualr Galaxy-class can do. If that would have happened in "Yesterday's Enterprise", the battle would have been over in 3 minutes.

4 for me is my answer.

-----------------------------

And I still think it was a great episode the ship itself was a transition between the Excelsior Class and the Galaxy Class("slightly smaller") but the Nacelles were getting close to the Galaxy Class style of Engines in appearance.

:( :) ;);)

Was anyone surprised at how quickly the Enterprise-D was damaged by the Klingon Birds of Prey, sure there were three of them, but still... The Enterprise-D was the flagship of the fleet, it must have been able to take on those Birds of Prey and not have the ship start ripping apart.  Another reason why the Enterprise-C could have been moving slow was to not draw attention to itself, a fast moving ship would draw the fire towards it.

295745[/snapback]

Quite possibly, being active in a huge campaign, the Klingon Empire spent a lot of time and resources on developing better weaponry. Doesn't seem that they did the same for shields, though, considering that once the Ent-D let loose they were still able to destroy one Bird of Prey rather easily.

You didn't see the romulan ships. A design flaw made them pathetically sluggish that year leading to an empire-wide recall. :laugh:

The Enterprise-C could also have been maneuvering slowly because of the close proximity to the temporal rift. It might have caused some distortion in the fabric of time, causing some things to progress more slowly than others.
Good point wishfire. In other instances they mention about needing to be more careful around rifts due to various reasons. Including distortion of time, causing the rift to collapse suddenly destroying anything within range, causing the rift to grow, etc etc. so forth and so on. It has been a recurring theme throughout that caution is needed around this type of phenomenon. Even the Nexus in Generations was a situation, and the Briar Patch in Insurrection.

As for tractor beams, of course they had them! They had them in TOS, so why would a time-line that branched off decades after TOS suddenly have no tractor beams. But if the Ent-D did try to tractor the Ent-C in, they'd still have the same problem - defending the Ent-C. It was probably easier to defend the Ent-C without tractor beams.
The C probably had them, they also more than likely were damaged enough to be offline in the battle that ensued. Edited by Yillara_Soong

Another reason the Enterprise-C didn't turn that quickly could have been that they were hesitant to leave a ship behind that was getting attack. Maybe they were caught between going back and helping another Starfleet ship. Either that, or they were reserving power from the manuevering thrusters for the shields. Or maybe helm didn't know what he was doing and just pushing the flashing buttons :bow:.

Probably my all time favorite STNG episode. I think the main reason it was shown this way, i.e. slow ship movement), was simply to gain suspense for the impending attack. Episodes have been shown, most noticably, the later DS9 episodes and later VOY episodes, where the ship's move very fast. (The Defiant and all the other ships in "First Contact" to name just one scenario. I basically blame it on suspense and not enough budget to show alot of action, but mainly just to build tension, and nothing from the above choices. Just my opinion on am awesome episode that I could watch over and over.

One question, did the Enterprise-D even fire photon torpedoes? It seems that if it was in danger of being ripped apart and Riker was killed, you should let loose with everything, then go to a Starbase to restock. This even happened in Generations, the Enterprise just fired phasers at a Bird of Prey firing disruptors and torpedoes. The Enterprise-D only fired one torpedo to destroy it at the end. Anyone else find this odd?

One question, did the Enterprise-D even fire photon torpedoes? It seems that if it was in danger of being ripped apart and Riker was killed, you should let loose with everything, then go to a Starbase to restock.  This even happened in Generations, the Enterprise just fired phasers at a Bird of Prey firing disruptors and torpedoes.  The Enterprise-D only fired one torpedo to destroy it at the end.  Anyone else find this odd?

304844[/snapback]

Yes, in Yesterday's Enterprise the -D fired torpedoes in the very beginning of the battle, using dispersal pattern Sierra.

At some point during the battle, Data made the remark that power to the forward phaser banks had been severed, and he made some attempts to bypass the power but failed. Picard apparently was able to do it later after he took commadn of Tactical toward the end, as one Klingon vessel took one hit, which could be seen on the viewscreen.

As for Generations, Riker's first order was to get them out of orbit. The Enterprise was turning around then, which I guess would limit its phaser coverage. But, it's been my experience that the fire everything approach is only used with the Borg and in large fleet sequences in DS9 when there are so many ship "extras" or in the case of the Borg, you can fire everything that it still doesn't help (except in FC). Basically, suspense is why it was done, and it was more cooler make them cloak,and then send one torpedo at them than to just let loose with everything.

Well, the Bird of Prey in Generations was swooping behind the Enterprise. In fact, one of the Klingon torpedo hit directly on the back of the neck of the Enterprise. If I was Riker, I would have said "Aft torpedoes, full spread, fire!"

No. 2 is my choice. I believe they were going slow deliberately, toenter the rift carefully. I agree with wishfire's comment with regard to the rift.

No. 2 is my choice. I believe they were going slow deliberately, toenter the rift carefully. I agree with wishfire's comment with regard to the rift.

308327[/snapback]

I agree going slow deliberately. I consider this one of my favorite TNG episodes and one of my top 20 all time Trek episodes. I could watch this every week!