Sign in to follow this  
welfconfed

Romulan diaspora and Vulcan awakening

In the recent "Enterprise" three part story line that centers on Vulcan, some very interesting information regarding the Vulcan/Romulan split was given.

(just to be on the safe side)

**********************spoiler*spoiler*spoiler****************************

Abondon all hope (of watching these epiosdes without spoilers) ye who enter here.

First we have conformation of the period of the Vulcan awakening, sometime during the 300's AD (First given in TNG "Gambits" Pts. 1and2)

We now know the place and circumstances surrounding Surak's death:

He died of radiation poisoning, due to nuclear fallout, on Mount Seleya.

And for the first time we have a canonical reference to the Romulans during the awakening: (after Surak's death, his katra was taken away)"before the final battle with those that marched beneath the raptor's wings, those that wanted to return to the savage ways"

and we know that the Vulcan's period of recovery from the war was from the 300's to the 1800's, when they were able to explore space.

Click For Spoiler
and most interesting we have, in 2154, Romulan operatives in the highest levels of Vulcan government working towards reunification.
Edited by welfconfed

*~*SPOILERS*~*

You are right, as usual, these episodes mark something very important in not just Vulcan history, but Romulan history. You have analyzed it a bit more than me (I saw the end scene of Kir'Shara and panicked, then got mad at TSonofvulcan when he reacted, well, as stoically as a Vulcan). But I am happy at this development. Hopefully Star Trek will show Romulans a bit more and in a more positive light. And of course, this is a canonical answer to a few of the questions that have been plaguing Vulcan and Romulan fans for a while now.

Good to see you posting again, James. :P

For some reason I don't think that is how surak died.

Are you saying that you think the scenes shown were not those of Surak's death, but of some disease or something and he died a different way. However, if it is indeed his death, what we fans think does not matter until one of us can get into the writing and producing of Star Trek because we now have a canonical death of Surak. The only way we can change it is fanfiction.

I had better finish my book and get published soon. I hate having my ideas not matter.

It's good to be back Stephanie. :P

Hey, your ideas matter to us. :P

Rivendells_king, I'm also curious about your statement, is it based on the scenes we saw in the episodes, or is it just a gut feeling?

I can't help but wonder, how much do the Vulcans know about the Romulans?

Those that marched beneath the raptors wings (ie. the Romulans) were combatants in the great war that preceded the awakening, thus an important part of vulcan history.

Also another question...

Click For Spoiler
V'Las mentioned "decades of work" with the Romulans toward reunification. How many decades?

Could there have been Romulan's onboard the T'Planna-Hath when it made first contact with humans,nine decades before "Enterprise", or , for that matter, could the first alien/human contact (between Cochrane and the Vulcan captain) been with a Romulan?

Could the Romulans have been responsible for the Vulcans withholding of technology from humans?

Will there be Romulan agents masquerading as vulcans involved when the treaty of federation is drawn up in 2161?

Wow. You are suggesting putting intelligence operatives at the very heart of the Federation, which, while not impossible because of the human trust, would be difficult even for our Tal Shiar. That would make for a fascinating plot... *spooky voice* they're watching you... and it might actually be probable. Vulcans do not know that much about Romulans, as shown by even Spock's slight surprise at seeing the Commander in Balance of Terror. Perhaps there were some Vulcans who kept an ear out for news and when they realized the Romulans were growing much more powerful than them, decided to try to make allies. If they already had someone vouching for them in Vulcan government, it would be a lot easier to simply... extend their welcome a bit and and send Romulan operatives in as Vulcans. The key to this senario though is that there would have to be a Vulcan on one end. Otherwise the Romulans would have to do it themselves... again, not impossible, but difficult.

Wow. You are suggesting putting intelligence operatives at the very heart of the Federation, which, while not impossible because of the human trust, would be difficult even for our Tal Shiar. That would make for a fascinating plot... *spooky voice* they're watching you... and it might actually be probable. Vulcans do not know that much about Romulans, as shown by even Spock's slight surprise at seeing the Commander in Balance of Terror. Perhaps there were some Vulcans who kept an ear out for news and when they realized the Romulans were growing much more powerful than them, decided to try to make allies. If they already had someone vouching for them in Vulcan government, it would be a lot easier to simply... extend their welcome a bit and and send Romulan operatives in as Vulcans. The key to this senario though is that there would have to be a Vulcan on one end. Otherwise the Romulans would have to do it themselves... again, not impossible, but difficult.

289379[/snapback]

romulans would never be able to act vulcan, not with them becoming all suraky and stuff. :spock:

289379[/snapback]

romulans would never be able to act vulcan, not with them becoming all suraky and stuff. B)

297744[/snapback]

You would be surprised. *raises eyebrow*

Mr tricorder, NEVER underestimate a romulan.

Click For Spoiler
and I think the idea of the romulans being at 1st contact and at the founding of the federation is very, very cool.

298372[/snapback]

Temporal Insurgent, I couldn't agree more. :blink:

Thank you for your thoughts on my theory.

Valeris, as far as obtaining a Vulcan to aid in the Romulan plan, that would be relatively easy if the Romulans had cloaking technology and spies to ascertain who in the Government would be willing to help.

and Mr. Tricorder....Suraky!? :blink: