Sign in to follow this  
timmy84

How you would like Enterprise

1. Enterprise wouldn't be called Enterprise. If it were, it would have to be the ship SS Enterprise thats seen in the bar in First Flight.

2. They would use low yeild laser cannons, which would do much against other ships, since it would take a lot of power to generate enough heat.

3. Enterprise would report to the United Earth Space Probe Agency. They would say UESPA (pronounced You-spa) on the show.

4. they wouldn't call Archer sir, since they aren't in the military. They would all call him John.

5. They would have nuclear missiles, whicht would kill a couple of their crewmen evertime they fired them because of the radiation.

I know there could be plasma weapons, but thats not "CANON"

1. I have no problems with the ship being called Enterprise, though I also have no problems with a name change.

2. While there probably is the issue of franchise recognition, I don't see why they had to go with weapons that look so much like their later counterparts. It just seems like the writers have no imagination when they make phase pistols, phase cannons, and these new photonic torpedoes. I quite liked the weapons the Enterprise had in broken bow... couldn't they have simply increased the yield on those weapons as opposed to giving out phase cannons? Perhaps name brand recognition is far more powerful than I think, and by having phase cannone and pistols, people know they're watching Star Trek?

3. I'm not exactly sure when Starfleet was created, but I really don't have problems with them using the term Starfleet.

4. This issue really has no great effect on myself.

5. I like the idea of nuclear/fusion weapons, but I'm sure that by Archer's time they would've been able to manufacture relatively 'clean' nuclear and fusion weapons and negate most of the harmful radiation. However, it is established that antimatter has been a phenomenon that is long studied by humans (Voyager's Friendship One probe carried such knowledge in the late 21st century) and it's not inconceivable that they have antimatter weapons. However, it would've been nice if they didn't copy the photon torpedo almost to the letter.

In conclusion, while I have a few niggles with terminology and look, I'm more concerned with the writing and the emotional overtones of the Vulcans. I mean, if they met the Klingons, surely Humans can't be that much less tolerable.

1. Enterprise wouldn't be called Enterprise. If it were, it would have to be the ship SS Enterprise thats seen in the bar in First Flight.

2. They would use low yeild laser cannons, which would do much against other ships, since it would take a lot of power to generate enough heat.

3. Enterprise would report to the United Earth Space Probe Agency. They would say UESPA (pronounced You-spa) on the show.

4. they wouldn't call Archer sir, since they aren't in the military. They would all call him John.

5. They would have nuclear missiles, whicht would kill a couple of their crewmen evertime they fired them because of the radiation.

1. Why can't there be a pre-Federation Enterprise? I see nothing wrong with the name nor design, in fact, I think it looks very much like a predeccessor to Kirk's Enterprise.

2. Why would they use laser cannons? What's wrong with the phase-canons?

3. UESPA? To my knowledge, this was only established in 2 TOS episodes before being changed to "Starfleet".

4. He's called "sir", not becuase of he militarisitc command structure, but becuase he's in charge. Would you call your boss at work by his first name?

5. Somehow, I think they would have developed something more advanced than nuclear missles by the mid 22nd century.

This is what you think of as "cannon"?

As much as I like the show I have to agree with Timmy on a few points. I don't think they should have phase cannons or pistols because during the first two pilots of TOS they used laser weapons. Plus I'll bring up my old gripe that During TOs eps. Balance of Terror Spock said that the Romulan War was fought with primitive atomic weapons not photonic torpedoes. Of course that does not rule out Star Fleet using both in the war. And my last point is that I think they should have left the transporters out completely or they should have introduced them later in the series. As for UESPA ADM. Forrest did say that StarFleet was less than 20 years old . Perhaps Starfleet evolved out of UESPA.

4. He's called "sir", not becuase of he militarisitc command structure, but becuase he's in charge.  Would you call your boss at work by his first name?

of as "cannon"?

precisely. It is a sign of respect, not of military influence.

Only Admiral Forrest calls Archer "Jon," since he's known him since he was a child. Nobody on board the NX-01 calls him "Jon," not even Trip while off duty which seems a little odd since Archer isn't a by the book spit and polish type of captain. Then again, the way Trip says "cap'n" makes it sound more like an affectionate nickname than a rank. When he's serious, it's "sir." When it's just him and Jon together drinking it's "cap'n." More like a habit that they're Trip and cap'n instead of Jon and Charlie.

4. He's called "sir", not becuase of he militarisitc command structure, but becuase he's in charge.  Would you call your boss at work by his first name?

of as "cannon"?

Actually I have always called my bosses at work by their first names and I have respected them all.

I think the problem we are having with this discussion is everyone has their own idea of what military is. To me army, navy, etc. are all military. Starfleet has always been modelled after the navy (by ranks, etc). I think the non-Starfleet personnel coming aboard would be like having Army ground troops on board a naval vessel as I have said before.

In Canada we have the Canadian Armed Forces which has all of the branches of the military under one structure.

I call my boss by his first name, however I also call my parents by their first names as well. Starfleet may not be military but that's no reason not to call thier captian sir. They have ranks don't they? They may not be military but they are clearly not civilians either.

As far as everything else goes.. There were a lot of things that changed during the time of TOS simply because Rodenberry didn't have a clear idea of what his universe was yet. I think it makes more sense to accept Starfleet and Phase cannons then it does to take the first few episodes of TOS word for word. When those episodes were written they had no idea if they would even have a second season, let alone 10 movies, 4 spin offs, and God knows how many books. Also in terms of technowledgy remember that TOS was created in a time when color TV's were still considered pretty cool stuff.

I have to agree with alot of the points made here. As for calling the Captain Sir, most definitely. Just because an organization is not military does not mean that the rank structure should not be respected. Yes, in most of my jobs I have usually called my boss by first name, but only because I have usually been in management and was around other members of management when I was speaking with him, in my last job anyway When I was speaking to anyone outside of the management team, I referred to him as Mr. and last name or as the area director as a meaning of respect. I was working in a business that had a rank structure. From the time I started until the day I left I was referred to by rank and last name, as having started in the field then promoted into the corporate office I continued to hold my last field rank of Major. All employees refused to call me by first name as a show of respect for the work that I had done to reach my current position. Even those that that became extremely close friends called me by rank or last name. I still hold friendships with many of those that I worked with at that time and even now that I am not employed there any more they still address me in the same manner, this includes a couple of my bosses.

I think this is how it all happened in the "Old Timeline", before the film First Contact scre-changed history.

I think this is how it all happened in the "Old Timeline", before the film First Contact scre-changed history.

How would have First Contact changed history where things changed that drastically? From seeing DS9, VOY, and the 2 new movies, we can conclude that the timeline is relatively sound. As far as I know, the only "change" First Contact did to the timeline was "regeneration". I think that any changes to the timeline in ENT would be a result of the TCW and not FC.

The Author of the Original post here was not just making those things up and granted some or many of them could be said to have come from non-canon sources but it is my opinion that if these details listed above would have been more closely followed by tptb ENT would have been a bigger hit, more old timers (TOS fans from the start) would not be having the issues they have with the series. My best example I can back up with proof is the Enterprise itself, remember in the original version of TMP, Decker show Ilea pictures on a wall in the rec-room and says All those ships were named Enterprise? The ship we see in ENT looks more like that Vulcan ship with the gravity ring we have seen on ENT before, not a refigured version of the Akira class. Not having the ENT look as expected was a mistake. Anyway, in case anyone thinks so, it was not my intention to bash ENT, I like it and will continue to watch it, like I have said before I am hoping tptb have a master plan to pull it all together by series end (films included.)

The Author of the Original post here was not just making those things up and granted some or many of them could be said to have come from non-canon sources but it is my opinion that if these details listed above would have been more closely followed by tptb ENT would have been a bigger hit, more old timers (TOS fans from the start) would not be having the issues they have with the series. My best example I can back up with proof is the Enterprise itself, remember in the original version of TMP, Decker show Ilea pictures on a wall in the rec-room and says All those ships were named Enterprise? The ship we see in ENT looks more like that Vulcan ship with the gravity ring we have seen on ENT before, not a refigured version of the Akira class. Not having the ENT look as expected was a mistake. Anyway, in case anyone thinks so, it was not my intention to bash ENT, I like it and will continue to watch it, like I have said before I am hoping tptb have a master plan to pull it all together by series end (films included.)

Perhaps, but most of what he said was established in the very first episodes of TOS. I don't consider that info "canon" becuase durring those episodes they referred to the Enterprise as an "Earth ship" and such.

Anywho, you're thing about the Enterprise pic sounds resonable, but I don't think that a future series should be dictated by some little picture in a movie made 20 years ago. :laugh:

of as "cannon"?

Although Starfleet may not be "military" it still has a military structure, including rank. We have other non-military forces in our society, such as the police and firefighters which also utilize a rank system. The personnel refer to a superior by rank as a sign of respect.

One could think of the rank as a title. A person shows respect to a MD or PhD by refering to her or him as Doctor.