Sign in to follow this  
Abakai2003

Have you seen This

There is a debate going on as to wether The Theme song to Enterprise is inoproprate for a Star Trek Series. But did you know that Gene Roddenberry wrote Lyrics for the TOS Theme?

this fact I read in a book by Gene L Coon a Producer on TOS and TNG.

I did a web serch and This is what I found. ENJOY

Beyond

The rim of the star-light

My love

Is wand'ring in star-flight

I know

He'll find in star-clustered reaches

Love,

Strange love a star woman teaches.

I know

His journey ends never

His star trek

Will go on forever.

But tell him

While he wanders his starry sea

Remember, remember me.

you can find the story behind this HERE

Very interesting!

But can we vote on the theme adding thing. I always listen to music when I come here, so it would kind of clash.

I would imagine there are others who do as well.

Very interesting!

But can we vote on the theme adding thing. I always listen to music when I come here, so it would kind of clash.

I would imagine there are others who do as well.

Oh, I only brought it up because of the other threads, which have a soundtrack, added (Lifeforms, Faith of the Heart) Wait! Did you think I meant adding music for surfing the whole site? No, just this thread like the other two mentioned.

Cool, i wonder what it would've sounded like. i love faith of the heart, its such a GREAT SONG, and most appropriate theme for ENTERPRISE.

thats very interesting! It would be cool to hear what it would have sounded like.

yes that would be neat alterego to have the soundtrack on here, as long as it was possible to have it not play if you didn't want to hear it, for the people who didn't, that way if you wanted to, you could listen to it, and kind of imagine how it would have sounded.

Very cool. I didn't know it was supposed to have lyrics. I think Faith of the Heart is perfect for Star Trek!

Very cool. I didn't know it was supposed to have lyrics. I think Faith of the Heart is perfect for Star Trek!

I agree completely.

appl.gifappl.gifappl.gif

I knew that TOS's theme had lyrics, personally i like it without...they are great lyrics but, strike me as odd when i heard them...I am not entirely sure, but, i think Leonard Nimoy sang the theme on the LP I have here(well it is my mom's actually)....but annoyingly enough i cannot confirm that for sure because it would take a good 15-20 minutes to sort through our LP's(yep we still have vinyl and a working turntable... :grin: Ah...the wonderful days of records, 8-tracks, and cassettes, where have they gone???), As soon, as i locate it I will share the answer with everyone, OK?

And, slightly off topic, but close... Leonard Nimoy's record is awesome!

Wow, I never knew that! :grin:

I was slightly irked when I heard the Enterprise theme had lyrics, but I think they did a great job with the whole opening credits!

There is a debate going on as to wether The Theme song to Enterprise is inoproprate for a Star Trek Series. But did you know that Gene Roddenberry wrote Lyrics for the TOS Theme?

this fact I read in a book by Gene L Coon a Producer on TOS and TNG.

I did a web serch and This is what I found. ENJOY

Beyond

The rim of the star-light

My love

Is wand'ring in star-flight

I know

He'll find in star-clustered reaches

Love,

Strange love a star woman teaches.

I know

His journey ends never

His star trek

Will go on forever.

But tell him

While he wanders his starry sea

Remember, remember me.

you can find the story behind this HERE

Awful.

You necro'd a five-year-dead topic just to post "awful?!"

:)

Actually I bumped it so that people that hadn't seen it before could see it, Lady Britannia just happened to be the first person to post after I bumped it.

If you read the book Inside Star Trek : The Real Story by Herbert Solow and Robert Justman there is a revelation about those lyrics. According to Solow and Justman, Gene Roddenberry wrote the lyrics and added them without Alexander Courages knowledge or consent after Courage turned the music in to him to be copyrighted. This allowed Roddenberry to claim 50% of the royalties as co-author. Courage in interviews told that same story.

Edited by oldfan1

So Roddenberry wrote the lyrics just to screw Courage out of half the royalties? I wonder why he didn't sue?

So Roddenberry wrote the lyrics just to screw Courage out of half the royalties? I wonder why he didn't sue?

How could he sue though? Writing the lyrics would presumably be legal.

If you read the book Inside Star Trek : The Real Story by Herbert Solow and Robert Justman there is a revelation about those lyrics. According to Solow and Justman, Gene Roddenberry wrote the lyrics and added them without Alexander Courages knowledge or consent after Courage turned the music in to him to be copyrighted. This allowed Roddenberry to claim 50% of the royalties as co-author. Courage in interviews told that same story.

Ahh, you beat me to it!

:)

It was still a pretty underhanded thing to do on Roddenberry's part. I guess Courage should have copyrighted it before he gave it to Roddenberry.

For what? Copyright infringement? They weren't copyrighted yet.