Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Pulaski v Crusher

Which character did you prefer? For me it was Pulaski as there were so many levels to the character and the actor dominated the screen, giving the character a clear role in the stories she was involved it. Sometimes I felt that the Crusher character was a bit weak and often got lost in episodes. Had Pulaski been made a continuing character in the series then I believe that she would have got a lot more screen time in the films than Crusher has.

I realy liked both to tell the truth. :)

Butif I had to chose it whould be Crusher :)

To be honest i really didn't like either one, but if i had to pick i'd say Crusher, because the chemistry between her and Picard was cool. I'm not sare why i didn't like Crusher, i just didn't. With Pulaski, she wasn't around long enough to be anything, but the back and forth with data was cool.

I chose Crusher.

The only time characters who appeared on a previous Trek works imo, is when they are covered in make-up, it is easy to suspend the disbelief that way. All I could see with Pulaski was that character see play on an OS episode. There is an actor who has played many different roles on TNG DS9 and maybe a VOY or two who (I know he has not been the only actor to play multiple roles.) really pulled it off because he was very different looking each time.

I chose Crusher.

The only time characters who appeared on a previous Trek works imo, is when they are covered in make-up, it is easy to suspend the disbelief that way. All I could see with Pulaski was that character see play on an OS episode. There is an actor who has played many different roles on TNG DS9 and maybe a VOY or two who (I know he has not been the only actor to play multiple roles.) really pulled it off because he was very different looking each time.

Jeffery Combs and Mark Alimo are a couple of good examples of characters that did it successfully. Another is James Cromwell, he's played several parts.

I myself didn't like Pulaski, her character had a bit of an arrogant nature. Mostly the episode that turned me off on her was Elementary Dear Data, that and the general way she treated Data as a "thing" rather then as a life form. I know she was written that way, but I didn't care for it.

I liked Pulaski. I think she had character. Her not being particularly nice to Data in "Elementary, Dear Data" was kinda funny. She learned later that he was more than just a machine.

Crusher was boring. She was too much like a nagging mother.

OMG Crusher..Pulaski was such an awful character..I could not wait for Beverly to re-appear..The only thing I disliked about that was how she just upped and dissapeard when Crusher came back..no goodbye no thx for trying to thaw my cold hide nothing..

Ok Pulaski Saved Rikers life for that i am 100% Greatful but however i do could not picture her from Miranda on TOS so i stick with my Beverly who is the Best!!

~Laur :blink:

she was actually good back in TOS! good character

And that is y most of us can't picture her on the enterprise.. because we think of her old character..

well at least thats what it is like for me :dude:

~Lauren :blink:

Both annoyed me in different ways. Bev was too whiny so to speak. and Kate was a mean old bird. I guess if someone MADE me pick one. . .Pulaski but, just because I really dislike the whining.

Both annoyed me in different ways. Bev was too whiny so to speak. and Kate was a mean old bird. I guess if someone MADE me pick one. . .Pulaski but, just because I really dislike the whining.

After the way she treated Data? That was the thing about her that turned me off.

That is EXACTLY why she is a mean old bird! I say it like this because I have a few other names I'd like to use but, this is a public place and I keep my swearwords to myself.

Anyone know the name of the actor who has played 1. The Romulan defector (TNG) 2. Grown-up Alexander (TNG) 3. Odo's teacher/tomenter (DS9) 4. He also might have played a Vorta but I can't be sure.

Anyone know the name of the actor who has played 1. The Romulan defector (TNG) 2. Grown-up Alexander (TNG) 3. Odo's teacher/tomenter (DS9) 4. He also might have played a Vorta but I can't be sure.

If u are talking about the Federation Guy who defected to the Romulans its Berry Lynch in *Face of an Enemy* in TNG.. I got no clue about the Others...

After the way she treated Data? That was the thing about her that turned me off.

I think the writers intended to stir things up when Kate arrived. She didn't exactly get off to the best start with Picard. I think she pushed Data's development by challenging him in ways that Crusher never did. And after a few episodes she came to respect Data and consider him a friend as did he. She was there at the first Poker game, at Data's going away party, etc.

she was actually good back in TOS! good character

And that is y most of us can't picture her on the enterprise.. because we think of her old character..

well at least thats what it is like for me :dude:

I never really thought about her character in TOS when watching her performance on TNG due to the sharp contrast between the characters and the difference in her age between playing the two roles. Should you use the same arguement that actors should never return in main/major supporting roles then Mark Lenard would never have played Sarek (which would have been a shame)!!

Anyway, I liked Polaski because of her bite and after a while she over came her differences/misunderstanding with Data which eventually strengthened their friendship, indeed, it was that inability to fully understand Data that highlighted his equality and rights among his crew in a way that enriched the character. Polaski also had a relationship with the captain by anoying him at first but eventually bringing them closer together.

The character of Crusher was good by providing a personal interaction between her and the captain and by providing a past to Picard, however I could imagine the character being a bit like Troy by being very hard for writers to incorperate them into scripts with a meaningful role in the plot. :D

I think the writers intended to stir things up when Kate arrived. She didn't exactly get off to the best start with Picard. I think she pushed Data's development by challenging him in ways that Crusher never did. And after a few episodes she came to respect Data and consider him a friend as did he. She was there at the first Poker game, at Data's going away party, etc.

She still bugs me, she always will. I mean you can have friends that once bugged you, right? I am glad that she finally put her differences aside, but, the knowledge that she had a biased opinion of him before he even introduced himself. . . that bothers me.

I didn't really like Crusher until she left the show for a year. But after a year of Pulaski I had new found respect for her. Pulaski wasn't really that bad but she did get on my nerves a lot.

Crusher is always serious and stressed out but at the same time very kind hearted and willing to listen. She seems very human too me which is a quality that I think is very important in a doctor and something that they should have thought of while writing the characters for some of the newer Star Trek shows (i.e. Phlox).

Really overall I think that season 2 was my least favorite season of TNG. It had a few highlights, but overall.... Another thing that bugged me about Crusher leaving was why did Wesley stay? I think that they explained this but it's been too long since I've seen the episode.

They wanted to let Wesley's character grow and he was a genuis and did not have the be at the academy yet so why not let him stay..It also added for some comdeic relief whenever he was stuck with Picard.

Pulaski annoyed me the way she treated Data, but i liked the dynamic between her and Picard, and her interactions with Worf. I think she was a much stronger character than Crusher, even though she only had 1 season to showcase it. And one definate minus for Beverley is the fact that she spawned the annoying Weasley Crusher

If u are talking about the Federation Guy who defected to the Romulans its Berry Lynch in *Face of an Enemy* in TNG.. I got no clue about the Others...

~Lauren :)

Thanks that was helpful info (sorry for taking so long to respond, I "forgot where I parked") but I am talking about the ROMULAN DEFECTOR in The Defector you know, that actor whom was the defector.

Thanks that was helpful info (sorry for taking so long to respond, I "forgot where I parked") but I am talking about the ROMULAN DEFECTOR in The Defector you know, that actor whom was the defector.

James Sloyan played the Romulan defector, Jarok, in The Defector. He also played K'mtar in TNG's Firstborn, Dr. Mora Pol in DS9's The Alternate and The Begotten and Ma'bor Jetrel in Voyager's Jetrel

158112.jpg

As i said on the other board, i think Kate would have pushed Data's development much more then anyone else just by challenging him. I think she would have been one of Data's best supporters in the end. Bev was like a distant aunt to Data, but Kate could have been a good overbareing mother for him. She does not believe without proof, that is a mark of her job. Data proved himself to her and that was the beginning of a whole new ballgame for them.

She could be annoying, but she was interesting. Crusher was just to fill space and be a love interest for Picard if he was not chasing another skirt. IMHO

James Sloyan played the Romulan defector, Jarok, in The Defector.  He also played K'mtar in TNG's Firstborn, Dr. Mora Pol in DS9's The Alternate and The Begotten and Ma'bor Jetrel in Voyager's Jetrel

158112.jpg

CHA-CHING! :) He's the one I was looking for Thanks!

I hope he lands a role of some sort on ENT

She could be annoying, but she was interesting. Crusher was just to fill space and be a love interest for Picard if he was not chasing another skirt.

I agree Lessa. She wasn't much of a love interest for him either. Picard did not have that many romantic relationships over the years of the series - Vash, Nella Darren (anyone else?). He fell for Kamala in The Perfect Mate but that wasn't consumated.

And then there was Bev - she started to fall for Finn in High Ground, she would have started a relationship with Picard in Allegiance (although it was fake Picard who was seducing her), she fell for John Doe in Transfigurations (talk about breaking the Hypocratic Oath). She had a relationship with Odan in The Host. Finally has Picard asking her to have a relationship in Attached and she says no. And then that weird Ronin in Sub Rosa. I'm sure I probably missed someone here too.

I think that if Picard and Crusher had gotten together that it would not have lasted. I believe disagreements that they had over the years of the series (example - her wanting to disregard the Prime Directive to treat health issues) would have intensified if they were a couple rather than friends.

They should bring Pulaski back for a cameo. Although I did find her somewhat annoying I think the character was much more dynamic than Crusher. They also never said what happened to her. That was sort of cheap.

At least they could have her come back as a person who was captured by the borg and now she is part Android. That would be fitting justice to her whole thing problem with Data.

She would really have to come to terms with herself after they rescued her.

But looking at how much Crusher has aged since the TNG was on the air, I would assume Pulaski is even older looking.

I don't personally like Pulaski’s personality or her way of thinking, but there are millions of people who will not agree with you and will be different.

I personally think that it was a good thing that they brought on someone new just for one season (not all of them, but just one) because it brought some new issues into TNG and developed Data in his quest to be more human.

Out of the two I pick Crusher, but I think Pulaski needs a bit of defense because you will met different people and some of them you won’t agree with. And like I said I think it was a good idea to put Pulaski on the show for just one season.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com