Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Spending on luxuries

Which would you spend most money on?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you spend most money on?

• Clothes
    • Shoes
    • Books
    • CD's/Music
    • Videos/DVDS
    • Cigarettes
    • Alcohol/Bar
    • Other

I'd spend most money on alchol and bars. It's pretty expensive, going out for tyhe night. Then it would be clothes. :)

If I had money to spare, I'd probably get a better computer!

Of the choices listed I chose books - all it takes is one textbook...dang. However, my biggest entertainment expense this last year was the computer, software, peripherals package - and I still have add-ons on my wish list - so it'll be a biggy this year too.

Out of the choices it would be books. I have a whole library of books at my house, but most of them are non-fiction. Only about 10% of them are actual novels (LOL).

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I spend the most money on my gamecube and games. Next to that it would be star trek merchandise (i have a cardassian from franklin mint and heaps of other models.) My parents pay for my clothes, so I guess it doesn't count.

I can very easily spend a lot of money on musical equpment and up grading my computer. After that I would say most of my non rent/food money goes towrd DVD's/CD's and then Alcahol/bars(which I don't spend on that often but it's never cheap...).

I didn't see the selection for Other so I didn't choose it when it should have been my choice, it's my car, even though I've had it for almost 2 years now I've been spending a LOT on the sound system. I just recently got a JVC cd player that I have now hooked up to a 12 disc changer, and I've got 4 JVC speakers and 3 10" MTX subs, with a $500 amp. Also, in a little bit I'll be getting a paint job for it, a nice metalic blue, oh and did I mention that's all in an '87 Dodge Omni?

Anyway, out of the list I chose cd's/music, I buy a whole bunch of blank cd's and keep spending on new music software, just so I can make my trance.

Spare money? I have kids, I don't have any spare money. :)

Books, books, books - if it wasn't for the library, I'd be broke ... well, assuming the books don't go overdue ...

I voted cigarettes (I'm a pack a day smoker) but it's really probably a tie between cigs and clothes. After June 2004 I'll probably have to vote stfans.net convention. I've already started saving up and I plan on having tons o' fun, so I'm bringing plenty of ching-a-ling!

dvds. i love movies. im only 16 so my parents still give me money for my clothes. ahh! life is easy. lol.

I'm younger than you, but I have to pay for my own clothes. Its not like my parents force me to this either. it helps me understand how to budget and stuff, and it works good. They give me more allowence to so I can pay for things, so in the end, it all works out

Books...though most of my books are textbooks(and College textbooks can cost up to and over $100 a piece!), then there are my Trek novels(I actually don't have very many, but still...), and magazines(Trek and Astronomy related). Then there is my car, which has the habit of being pretty dumb....most recent repair that is needed: a new headlight bulb, and figure out why the radiator hose came off, and then there is the little issue of discovering teh source of the oil leak....(I usually do the repairs myself, or get my mom to help because I get the same thing over and over at any mechanic...."Get A new Car"...then I ask them to fork over money so I can get a new used car, which they will never do! :))

This is followed by...art supplies, the new Michaels stor just recently opened and now I can get all my art supplies at one place. Darn, if only I had won that shopping spree! :)

I'm younger than you, but I have to pay for my own clothes.  Its not like my parents force me to this either. it helps me understand how to budget and stuff,

I think that's a great idea. Big%20Thumb%20Up.gif

If I had money to spare, I'd probably get a better computer!

I would probably do the same thing. I would also get that 19" flat screen for it that I have been dreaming about too.

Books...though most of my books are textbooks(and College textbooks can cost up to and over $100 a piece!), then there are my Trek novels(I actually don't have very many, but still...), and magazines(Trek and Astronomy related). Then there is my car, which has the habit of being pretty dumb....most recent repair that is needed: a new headlight bulb, and figure out why the radiator hose came off, and then there is the little issue of discovering teh source of the oil leak....(I usually do the repairs myself, or get my mom to help because I get the same thing over and over at any mechanic...."Get A new Car"...then I ask them to fork over money so I can get a new used car, which they will never do! :))

This is followed by...art supplies, the new Michaels stor just recently opened and now I can get all my art supplies at one place. Darn, if only I had won that shopping spree! :)

I heard some "professional" advice that if you average less than a hundred dollars a month on repairs you're better off keeping your car. I wish I could do my own reparis but I am grateful I found a decent mechanic. That's one thing I miss about living in DC/VA I could take the bus/train and spend that time reading. I also miss the library system there. I love libraries - they cut my book expenses. I am also a sucker for those 3 Books 3 Bucks no commitments adds. Gotto read carefully but if there's no commitment to buy more - it's a great deal.

FYI, you probably know this already, but if not, I bought my last textbook from Walmart online - some but not a lot cheaper but they also participate in UPromise so you can get a credit towards your college fund. You can also purchase used text books through the MarketPlace at Amazon.com and sell them as well.

My priorities have changed over time. Besides the everyday expenses of food, the car, I used to spend a lot on books but now I just go to a book exchange. Now I spend most of my money on astronomy. You don't have to buy much to spend a lot!

I heard some "professional" advice that if you average less than a hundred dollars a month on repairs you're better off keeping your car. I wish I could do my own reparis but I am grateful I found a decent mechanic. That's one thing I miss about living in DC/VA I could take the bus/train and spend that time reading. I also miss the library system there. I love libraries - they cut my book expenses. I am also a sucker for those 3 Books 3 Bucks no commitments adds. Gotto read carefully but if there's no commitment to buy more - it's a great deal.

FYI, you probably know this already, but if not, I bought my last textbook from Walmart online - some but not a lot cheaper but they also participate in UPromise so you can get a credit towards your college fund. You can also purchase used text books through the MarketPlace at Amazon.com and sell them as well.

See that is exactly the case...I DO spend less than $100 a month on my car. Personally I think the mechanic's attitude towards my car is the fact that it is now 15 years old(My mom and I bought it five years ago).

Yeah, I have those places saved as my favorite place on AOL...for the books. The most ridiculous thing is these teachers(at least at my school) make you purchase the books saying you are going to use them everday....and then, for example, one book I had never even opened when I brought it back to the Book Buyback(at the end of the semester)

I voted other as I don't go out and spend money 'cause I can. :andorian:

The question wasn't "what do you go out and buy because you can''. That would be fickle. The question was 'what luxuries would you buy most'. Everyone buys luxuries. Not to do so would be to live a very dull and impoverished lifestyle. Misers are generally very unhappy people. I like to treat myself. It makes me a hapier little bunny. I dont do it 'because I can'. It's because its part of what living is all about. Treating yourself.

Agreed Prometheus. Grin%20Nod.gif There are times when indulging yourself can do a world of good for one's mental health. For me, buying the TNG DVDs was purchasing a "luxury" and they were the best purchases I've made in years!

I have a very small allowence but when I save up I either spend it on Makeup or Star Trek things.. :andorian: Going to my first convention left me broke.. :theking:

The everday expense of food..second being clothes..third being going to the cineplex and catching movies.