Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Ridgeless Klingons Explained in "Affliction"

I got this from TrekWeb:

There is no end in sight for the wave of TOS-inspired storylines on STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE this season. On the heels of a three-part Romulan arc helping explain why the Romulans were never seen before the time of TOS, TrekWeb has received information about a new episode titled "Affliction," which will tackle perhaps an even more famous bit of TREK lore.

The episode kicks off in an underground Klingon laboratory where a Klingon scientist and General oversee a strange project. Soldiers bring in a captive Klingon warrior and subject him to injection of a green fluid. After a few moments, it seems that the prisoner's forehead ridges bear the brunt of the fluid's effects. We are very likely looking at a canonical explanation for the famous change in makeup between the Klingons of TOS and the Klingons of STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE?

Meanwhile, Phlox has been offered a prestigious position with the Interspecies Medical Exchange but is kidnapped by a band of hooded aliens. The kidnappers turn out to be Rigelians, our first look at this oft-mentioned STAR TREK race. The Rigel system and its inhabitants have been mentioned in many TREK episodes such as "Mudd's Women," "Wolf in the Fold" and DS9's "The Passenger" among others. ENT's series premiere "Broken Bow" visited Rigel X, but encountered no Rigelians on screen.

As "Affliction" progresses, Klingons attack and board Enterprise for some clandestine purpose. Engaging the MACOs in a firefight, the Klingons implant a computer program into the ship before escaping. One Klingon, however, is shot by the MACOs and captured. His name is 'Marab' and he is thrown in the brig. Marab reveals that he is infected with a plague that is sweeping the Klingon Empire, and we learn that at least one symptom of the fatal disease is increased physical strength.

Also in this episode, 'Erika Hernandez' and the Columbia NX-02 will make an appearance. Hernandez and the Columbia were last seen in "Home."

well if this truly is canon.. i guess we finally get an answer to the age old question...where the heck did the ridges go??

they caught a virus that made the ridges disappear

lol how elegantly simple, i wonder why they "never discuss it with outsiders"

just to recap, here are some of the hypothesis posted over the last 20 years

klingon ridge hypothesis

Edited by deagletime

I don't really like that idea. It's like a mix between current-day bio-warfare and a subject Ent has already covered... genetic manipulation. But whatever. I'm confident that if the writers go with this, they'll produce something good.

When I read the synopsis of "Affliction" on ST.com, I had a feeling that it was about the "ridge syndrome". I think Manny Coto is doing great things this season on Enterprise, but if I were him I'd leave this issue alone. The Klingon fans can be a little touchy.

Personally, I liked Worf's explanation in DS9- "We don't talk about it".

I hope the virus is also linked to turning Klingon blood purple.

When you think about it, the virus makes sense. It explains the change in Kang, Kor and Koloth, as well as how the ridges went from there, to nothing, to lightly defined (TOS movies) to there again.

I'm thinking this could also explain 'the disasterous first contact' that occurs later on. Basically, I see the Klingons entering isolation because they feel dishonoured and then when they make contact with the UFP, nobody recognizes them and the Klingons go nuts. I'm sure that would lead to tension and disaster.