Sign in to follow this  
thayln

[S] SEASON 3 NEWS

This is something that I'm reluctant to talk about, because I know how y'all feel about any sex on Enterprise and I hate discord, and I'm still new here, but this is really, really bothering me.

Click for Spoiler:

From the Kansas City Star -

"Earlier in the day, UPN wasted barely an hour of media buyers' time going over its fall schedule. It announced plans to ``reinvigorate'' the sagging ``Star Trek'' series ``Enterprise'' by adding more characters and a storyline that involves defending Earth from total annihilation. Also, the Vulcan woman and Cap'n Scott Bakula get it on."

It's not that I object to the idea of a relationship between Archer and T'Pol. But it should be realistic and grow from friendship and respect and take awhile to develop. And after watching Bounty, I'm not sure that it would be handled that way. I can take 1 or 2 shows with cheesy camera shots, as long as something else interesting is going on, but

just the way he put it really bothers me. They wouldn't just, "get it on". I can't take it if they turn Archer and T'Pol into cheap sex.

That relationship is almost sacred to me, like Mulder and Scully, or in a sense, Kirk and Spock. Not that I'm claiming that there was UST between Kirk and Spock, but they did love each other in the purest sense. As I've said before, Vulcans and Humans need each other, have an almost symbiotic relationship in the later timelines. And in my little secret feminine heart of hearts, I've thought about how a relationship between Archer and T'Pol might happen, and how it could further the growth of the relationship between the species. (I can just hear y'all gaggin)

But now I'm really, really afraid that the powers that be are going to totally ruin it, and I don't know what to do.

God I must be sick. I can't believe I'm crying over a freakin TV show, but Star Trek has always been my little hiddey hole universe to go to when real life sucks, and now I feel like it's being taken away.

I'm sorry. I know how you feel, I got really worked up over some third season spoilers myself. I don't really think that is a good direction to take their relationship. I thought A Night in Sick Bay was one of the worst episodes they had ever done. Although he obviously has a physical attraction for her and I guess she has a great deal of respect for him, and physical attraction too - who wouldn't. I haven't seen that in any other spoiler so maybe it was out of context - they haven't started filming the third season yet and they're going to have some pretty serious stuff to deal with. One of the interviews I read said they intended to have less sexual content in the third season - I think they're aware it's not working. So hang in there.

I'm not big on the idea of Archer and T'Pol getting "the hook up" but I still have faith in the third season. This last batch of new episodes have been some of the best to date for Enterprise. I'm just now after 2 years really starting to like this show and I think that they finally know what they're doing with it so I'm sure that season 3 will prove to be the best so far. When I look back I don't think that any of the previous shows were really super great until their third season. With the exception of DS9 of course which pretty much stayed strong straight through...

I agree it's not the right way for Archer and T'Pol to go but it may happen. :rolleyes: Don't worry too much though, if they do "get it on", at the end of the ep it will all have turned out to be a dream probably. :rolleyes:

Click for Spoiler:

It's rather depressing that they're intent on going with the vanilla pudding pairing. Separately the characters are fine but together--whenever the writers try to make them flirt with each other it's just painful to watch. :rolleyes: One would hope that they digress from this course.

I knew y'all could make me feel better. :rolleyes:;)

Click for Spoiler:

Moulin Rouge wrote:  It's rather depressing that they're intent on going with the vanilla pudding pairing. Separately the characters are fine but together--whenever the writers try to make them flirt with each other it's just painful to watch.  One would hope that they digress from this course.

Click for Spoiler:

Yes, I could think of another pairing that definately wouldn't be vanilla pudding, but there's no way in heck that they'd ever go there, no matter how strong the chemistry is. (Bad thayln, bad, bad!)

Seriously tho, I wouldn't say that there isn't any chemistry between Archer and T'Pol. For example the ending of First Flight. But you're right, it's not a flirting kind of thing. It would be much more serious, and probably take the entire 7 years to develop. I was kind of hoping that would happen. After all I expect everything from Trek. Great stories and caring, complex relationships.

Ya' know, we must drive the Producers nuts. Does any other show have such demanding fans? I bet not. :rolleyes:

I also know how you feel. I can only hope that the show does move into the correct direction.

One thing I think the show really needs is some new writers. I’m not saying replace them all, but I do think that the show needs some new ones. One thing I have stated before is that I think the fans should be allowed to send in there own scripts or script ideas. If the writers can’t think of anything, then lets give the fans a try

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

its not worth getting worked up over nothing, for as nothing has happened yet, so we all must wait and see what happens next season. we can only hope that they make it good. :laugh: and not make us cry :laugh:

I will wait until the next season starts before I say anythimg about it.It just doesn't do any good to get worked up over something that has not even aired yet.

$$$ MOD NOTE$$$

I'm turning this Thread into our spot to post/discuss any thing that turns up between now and the first episode of season 3, so if anyone finds anything post them here, i'm not going to merge the others with it 'cuse it's to much work..lol.

I'll also pin it to the top till the begining of Season 3

Master Q Posted on May 18 2003, 08:59 PM

One thing I think the show really needs is some new writers. I’m not saying replace them all, but I do think that the show needs some new ones. One thing I have stated before is that I think the fans should be allowed to send in there own scripts or script ideas. If the writers can’t think of anything, then lets give the fans a try

Since they are talking about exploring more hard science fiction themes in season three, I think it would be cool if they invited some authors to guest write. David Brin would be really interesting, as would Alan Dean Foster or Spyder Robinson.

In regards to statements that T'Pol will be showing more skin - I do not think taking T'Pol further down the sex kitten path will help the series.

Regarding the new cast members - I am concerned about the "new muscle" I hope this isn't a ploy to replace (or seriously diminish the roles of) the older cast members with a bunch of baby-faced buff-bodied commando's (M&F)

From TV Guide Online:

Click for Spoiler:

TVGO: With T'Pol (Jolene Blalock) exploring her emotions more, are she and Archer going to hook up? Haven't they already made love — or am I having a senior moment?

Bakula: (Laughs) No, you're not having a senior moment. We had a little dream sequence in November. I spent the night in sick bay with Dr. Phlox, so I was loopy, and I had romantic moments with her during this nightmare. It was very cool, but bizarre. We haven't done any official hooking up.

TVGO: Will you?

Bakula: As far as plans for Jolene and I to get together romantically, there's been no mention of that from the writers. The only conversation has been that she's going to start experimenting with some of her emotions as she gets further away from being Vulcan. Everybody wants them kissing, so who knows, but it raises ethical and moral issues if they do.

TVGO: Still, Archer can't just chase the Xindi nonstop. Doesn't the man need to, well, release his stress?

Bakula: I don't disagree with you at all. I think that would be great — and it would be a shame to limit it to a crew member. If we're going to go there, I think [alien guest stars] are more in the tradition of the Star Trek franchise. I always liked the girls with go go boots and green faces that Kirk got to mess around with!

This made me feel better about season 3. At least Scott seems to be aware of the problems a relationship between Archer and T'Pol would cause, so mabe TPTB are, too.

But ya gotta wonder, how would the green makeup not get smeared everywhere? :devil:

--------------------

"Lipstick? there's no lipstick on me."

"She wan't kissing your face my love."

The Matrix Reloaded

This made me feel better about season 3.  At least Scott seems to be aware of the problems a relationship between Archer and T'Pol would cause, so mabe TPTB are, too.

But ya gotta wonder, how would the green makeup not get smeared everywhere?  :devil:

--------------------

The Matrix Reloaded

This should cheer you up even more:

UPN news release

The voice - over remark was made by a reporter with nothing better to do. I like Jolene's remarks.

This made me feel better about season 3.  At least Scott seems to be aware of the problems a relationship between Archer and T'Pol would cause, so mabe TPTB are, too.

But ya gotta wonder, how would the green makeup not get smeared everywhere?  :devil:

--------------------

The Matrix Reloaded

This should cheer you up even more:

UPN news release

The voice - over remark was made by a reporter with nothing better to do. I like Jolene's remarks.

That's interesting. I'm glad that niether Bakula or Blalock seem to think an Archer/T'Pol romance would be very helpful to the show. I wonder in what all ways season 3 will mirror the after math of 9/11. Will it be a sweet patiotic revenge story? A cold bitter and ugly revenge story? or will it be a learning experience in which everyone puts aside their differences and makes peace. This should prove interesting...

or will it be a learning experience in which everyone puts aside their differences and makes peace. This should prove interesting...

If the producers are working to capture the spirit which leads to TOS then I chose this one and that would be most interesting indeed!

That's interesting. I'm glad that niether Bakula or Blalock seem to think an Archer/T'Pol romance would be very helpful to the show. I wonder in what all ways season 3 will mirror the after math of 9/11. Will it be a sweet patiotic revenge story? A cold bitter and ugly revenge story? or will it be a learning experience in which everyone puts aside their differences and makes peace. This should prove interesting...

A sweet, patriotic revenge story? I think maybe that is an oxymoron. I think we all know the Enterprise is out to prevent the destruction of Earth - not seek revenge (except for maybe Trip). But I've wondered too how TPTB will treat this issue. It would be nice if all conflict could be resolved by chatting around the negotiating table - but ask someone who has been through a nasty divorce how easy it is to make peace with an un-cooperative enemy.

I had to adjust my thinking and accept that some of those that opposed the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq truly believed there was another way to resolve the conflict. Maybe I am a cynic but I also believe many of the movers and shakers in Hollywood were motivated by their political agenda - not sincerity and I am concerned that agenda will show up in Enterprise.

Revenge is a cancer; all it is capable of doing is destroying the host. I am very troubled with what they are doing with Trip. More importantly I think it would be unfair to characterize our men and women in uniform as "revenge seekers". Most of them genuinely believed they were preserving the lives and freedom of their families and fellow countrymen. They deserve to be treated with respect - not with the condescension of the Hollywood elite. Just as I had to open my views to the anti-war people- they need to realize that those who supported the war were also sincere. If TPTB don't get that then we're a very long way from ST uptopia.

Astute thoughts. Some, not all, but some of the Hollywood elite were only interested in their own agendas and looked down on the military. The men and women in uniform deserve respect whether or not you agree with a war. I, unfortunately, felt that our men and women in Iraq were being used in the worst possible way to further the administration's aims to democratize the region and gain access to oil by painting Saddam as the most immediate threat to American security when there are far more culpable nations and parties: Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and North Korea are far more of a threat to world peace.

War and peace. It's never an easy equation. ST of the 22nd century should reflect this turmoil. These human considered themselves above war like feelings but these are not Picard's humans. They are between "us" and utopia. What did Trip boast in the pilot? Mankind had done away with war, disease and hunger in less than two generations? Maybe with each other but this attack came from the outside--from "them" the strange unknown aliens--and lo and behold....mankind of the 22nd century isn't necessarily above some revenge minded mentality after all. I find the story fascinating but am wistful about B&B scripting or plotting out any sort of arc which deals with the aftermath of such an attack with complexity. Will any of these humans be struck by the fact that their "enlightened" behavior has regressed now that Earth has become a target and they feel vulnerable? Picard had a Federation of Planets behind him. He could afford to be noble. It's fear that motivates war like feelings. Will it occur to them that it was their great grandparents who lived through the horror of war and made peace after much hardship while they have reaped the benefits without facing adversity? Eventually, they will have to overlook death and destruction and make peace too and it won't be pretty.

I, too, am disturbed by what TPTB are doing with Trip but if they have one ounce of a clue they could write a superb story for him. He's the perfect choice for this transformation. Trip's so affable. He loves kids. He's funny. He's charming. He considers humanity above such primitive feelings. He is capable of extraordinary love, as evidenced by his loyalty to Captain Archer. He wants a family. He's wise enough to realize that the journey is as important as the result (as indicated by his speech to Reed in "Future Tense" about not wanting to know the identity of his future wife).

But he has flaws. Trip is xenophobic. Not to a homicidal Klu Klux Klan degree but he isn't as open minded as he believes himself to be. His sense of right and wrong is too black and white, as evidenced by his "damn them all, I'm right" attitude he displayed in "Cogenitor" by going behind everyone's back to help Charles. Noble intentions, yes, but not considerate of other cultural POV's with which he isn't familiar. He's got a temper. He's capable of rage. Huge heart, huge temper. Watching him descend into vengeance mode might be scary but it could be soooooooo choice if Sussman and Strong locked B&B in the mens room during planning sessions. That much heart and nobility of intentions mixed with so many flaws makes the vengeance seeker complex and human. We see the pain motivating the behavior, a behavior reinforced by a captain telling him that they will "do what it takes" while Malcolm is begging him to admit just how deeply he's hurting. I know a lot of people, good people, who would behave exactly the same way if their loved ones were murdered. I can envision myself wanting revenge if my sister had been in one of the twin towers but she wasn't. We don't necessarily agree with Trip's quick acceptance of Xindi guilt but who here with a little sister doesn't understand the rage? Trip is everyman. We know he's good underneath.

Will Malcolm rescue Trip from the precipice? Don't be afraid to show the toll of vengeance on a person, B&B. Make the story human. Make Lizzie human. Let us know her in a flashback or two. Don't wuss out on Malcolm helping Trip when he's at his lowest point out of a fear that the two won't seem "macho" enough. I hate that way of thinking.

Yes, if they let Trip work through his need for revenge (and do it quickly) then it could be a developmental opportunity. I think anger is part of the grieving process but he should be moving beyond that point by now. And I agree, I don't think anyone short of a saint could immediately forgive someone who had murdered a loved one. But people that don't ever work through it are the ones that suffer. The truth is - if the Xindi acted because they thought they would be destroyed then they are just defending their families as well. Oh, I so hate being open minded - now I can't feel good about blowing them all to pieces.

Well, one thing for sure it will be an interesting third season.

As for the Iraq war...I think there is much more the administration could do to reduce our dependence on foreign oil but that's another topic .

The Powers That Be. In this case, Berman and Braga....and Paramount.

Dependence on foreign oil The lady said the magic words. :)

I don't know, Unicorn Hunter. I think it's dangerous to say someone should "be over" something by now. Sure, let Trip work through it but quickly? No, no, no, no..... :) We don't want him to let go of that yummy angst too quickly, do we? :)

It's important to remember that the two situations are still different. Iraq did not destroy the twin towers, and there is still a question as to how involved they were with Al Quida. The Xindi did attack Earth, and they are planning on coming back and finishing the job. We have a very clear cut enemy here (if future-guy can be believed). There is no question as to whether humanity is acting out of self-defense. So I don't see how either the possible Hollywood "agenda" or the current Administration's possible "agenda" can come into play.

Their situation is more like WWII than the current war with Iraq. Which I believe is more a reflection of how we all feel. Do we not wish that our current situation was more clear cut? Do we not all long for proof that we are doing the right thing in the world?

I just watched the Nemesis DVD today, and in the special features they talk about the TNG crew being family, and how the events in the movie showed how families grow and change. It acknowledged how important the theme of family was to Gene, and how RB is working to maintain that ideal.

I believe that The Expanse has at last solidified the Enterprise crew into a family. There are no more divided loyalties. They have a shared goal and a shared loyalty that centers on the man in comand. They have a noble quest, if you will. And they have the right man in charge.

Archer knows full well what is at stake; knows that the fate of Earth and even the galaxy rides on what he does. He doesn't like the responsibilty, but he accepts it. Yes, he tells Trip that they will do, "whatever it takes", but I don't believe that they will do the wrong thing, whatever that thing is, when the time comes. After all, they didn't blow Duras out of existence the first chance they got, and they could have. Maybe, they even should have. Trip may be blinded by rage and grief right now, but Archer isn't.

It seems to me as if they are setting Trip up to be the protagonist for this arc. That his struggle to grow beyond vengance, to become "a better man" as Picard says in Nemesis, will be a metaphor for the growth of humanity into what they are in Picard's time. I don't believe that TPTB will let Trip deteriorate into a shallow, one dimensional character. They've set things up to well for that. I really think that they are getting ready to deal with some very serious questions, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

As for Trip, he is a good man. Through this struggle he will become that better man, and his family will help him do it.

thayln Posted on May 25 2003, 02:36 AM

Do we not wish that our current situation was more clear cut? Do we not all long for proof that we are doing the right thing in the world?

You're right there...

I hope you're right about Trip too.

It seems to me as if they are setting Trip up to be the protagonist for this arc. That his struggle to grow beyond vengance, to become "a better man" as Picard says in Nemesis, will be a metaphor for the growth of humanity into what they are in Picard's time

I sure hope that's what they have in mind. :) Connor would evoke such sympathy playing out this process. If TPTB turn his character into someone so one dimensional that he does something too terrible for him to be redeemed than they deserve to get cancelled. They really do. Why else did they set the character up this way? He could end up as the most sympathetic hero/anti-hero in all of Trek or they could make a rednecked goat out of him. What will they do?

Interesting. Is the situation with the Xindi more like WWII-- the "good war" as it's called? The only reason I think it draws a parallel to Iraq is that they're seeming to assume on very little evidence that it's true that the Xindi (Iraq) are responsible. Maybe they are; maybe FG is totally manipulating things. There was pretty much no doubt that Hitler was responsible.

It seems to me as if they are setting Trip up to be the protagonist for this arc. That his struggle to grow beyond vengance, to become "a better man" as Picard says in Nemesis, will be a metaphor for the growth of humanity into what they are in Picard's time

I sure hope that's what they have in mind. :) Connor would evoke such sympathy playing out this process. If TPTB turn his character into someone so one dimensional that he does something too terrible for him to be redeemed than they deserve to get cancelled. They really do. Why else did they set the character up this way? He could end up as the most sympathetic hero/anti-hero in all of Trek or they could make a rednecked goat out of him. What will they do?

Interesting. Is the situation with the Xindi more like WWII-- the "good war" as it's called? The only reason I think it draws a parallel to Iraq is that they're seeming to assume on very little evidence that it's true that the Xindi (Iraq) are responsible. Maybe they are; maybe FG is totally manipulating things. There was pretty much no doubt that Hitler was responsible.

That's a good point but I guess because all the press releases etc kept saying the Xindi attacked that I never stopped to think in terms of the Enterprise crew. You're right - that didn't have all of these spoilers - they only have the word of FG - a real trustworthy character.

As for Trip - there is option three. They could just drop the ball and let it roll under the table so to speak - like the follow up on Cogenitor. Next season it may just be Trip as usual? But I want to see him apologize to Malcolm. Malcolm deserves that.

It's important to remember that the two situations are still different.  Iraq did not destroy the twin towers, and there is still a question as to how involved they were with Al Quida.  The Xindi did attack Earth, and they are planning on coming back and finishing the job.  We have a very clear cut enemy here (if future-guy can be believed).  There is no question as to whether humanity is acting out of self-defense.  So I don't see how either the possible Hollywood "agenda" or the current Administration's possible "agenda" can come into play. 

Their situation is more like WWII than the current war with Iraq.  Which I believe is more a reflection of how we all feel.  Do we not wish that our current situation was more clear cut?  Do we not all long for proof that we are doing the right thing in the world?

I just watched the Nemesis DVD today, and in the special features they talk about the TNG crew being family, and how the events in the movie showed how families grow and change.  It acknowledged how important the theme of family was to Gene, and how RB is working to maintain that ideal. 

I believe that The Expanse has at last solidified the Enterprise crew into a family.  There are no more divided loyalties.  They have a shared goal and a shared loyalty that centers on the man in comand.  They have a noble quest, if you will.  And they have the right man in charge. 

Archer knows full well what is at stake; knows that the fate of Earth and even the galaxy rides on what he does.  He doesn't like the responsibilty, but he accepts it.  Yes, he tells Trip that they will do, "whatever it takes", but I don't believe that they will do the wrong thing, whatever that thing is, when the time comes.  After all, they didn't blow Duras out of existence the first chance they got, and they could have.  Maybe, they even should have.  Trip may be blinded by rage and grief right now, but Archer isn't. 

It seems to me as if they are setting Trip up to be the protagonist for this arc.  That his struggle to grow beyond vengance, to become "a better man" as Picard says in Nemesis, will be a metaphor for the growth of humanity into what they are in Picard's time.  I don't believe that TPTB will let Trip deteriorate into a shallow, one dimensional character.  They've set things up to well for that.  I really think that they are getting ready to deal with some very serious questions, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

As for Trip,  he is a good man.  Through this struggle he will become that better man, and his family will help him do it.

You make a lot of great points. Very well put. :cool: I agree with you that this situration really isn't anything like the situation with Iraq. The only reason I brought it up in the first place was because they said in the press confrence that the story was going to mirror the after math of 9/11.

I also agree with what you said about the Enterprise crew finally starting to feel like a family, it's about time! Trip is a great character and I think that they are going to do some interesting things with him.

Season 3 is going to rock! :theking::andorian:

you make valid points, and as to trip i dont think theres anything to worry about, TPTB, have to knoe he is a favorite for a lot of people, and there not gonna make him some mini-hitler, thats gonna peeve off a lot of people. im extremely happy with the expanse, and cant wait till next season to see what happens. as far as the whole iraq thing, iraq is an enemy, they've been found to be involved in many things, and as all inteleigent people know, saddam HATES THE U.S., AND ALL OF ITS ALLIES. the xindi whether future guy is lying or not about there motives, ATTACKED, so its time to go on the offensive with them, when they get there they'll find out if their the same as the ones who attacked, remember they have a body to compare too.

I haven't read any spoilers on any sites and I don't want to.

MoulinRouge your points and analysis of Trip are the most astute I've seen.

TheUnicornHunter wrote:

Yes, if they let Trip work through his need for revenge (and do it quickly) then it could be a developmental opportunity. I think anger is part of the grieving process but he should be moving beyond that point by now. And I agree, I don't think anyone short of a saint could immediately forgive someone who had murdered a loved one. But people that don't ever work through it are the ones that suffer. The truth is - if the Xindi acted because they thought they would be destroyed then they are just defending their families as well.

Yes, this is true that anger is a large part of the greiving process. Because of the line of work he is in, Trip has probably had to "bury" his anger and not fully resolved it. He has most likely had little to no time alone to work through his grief. There have been other "more important " things to be concerned with, such as the Enterprise refit. Consequently his anger and grief has been shoved aside, to be dealt with later. On the surface he may appear to have moved beyond the grief, but its only simmering just below the surface. And surface it will, when he encounters a situation that will push the right buttons--and this can be a small thing. When he and the Enterprise crew do encounter the Xindi, we will definitely see a darker side of Trip Tucker if his anger is not resolved.

Thalyn wrote:

It seems to me as if they are setting Trip up to be the protagonist for this arc. That his struggle to grow beyond vengance, to become "a better man" as Picard says in Nemesis, will be a metaphor for the growth of humanity into what they are in Picard's time. I don't believe that TPTB will let Trip deteriorate into a shallow, one dimensional character. They've set things up to well for that. I really think that they are getting ready to deal with some very serious questions, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Let us hope this is the direction TPTB are going with Trip and the rest of the crew for that matter. Even if no one else on the crew lost a family member or close friend in the attack, they had to have felt some degree of anger, grief, frustration, etc., particularly upon seeing the devastation. Some will feel a strong need for revenge just from the mere fact that earth was attacked and humans were killed.

I hope this will prove to be a great opportunity for character and story development. I would like to see some backstory on several of the crew, by means of flashbacks, and through conversations between crewmembers.

I hope season proves to be as promising as we are all hoping. I am very much looking forward to it!