Sign in to follow this  
dsbs

Janeway or Picard

Who did you think was the better captain?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think was the better captain?

• Janeway
    • Picard

I pick Janeway. At least she didn't make the serious blunder that Picard did by letting the Borg discover humans.

320218[/snapback]

Picard didn't let the Borg discover humans. The Borg assimilated the Hansens about 2356 which is long before the Enterprise was even commissioned (which was about 2364).

Besides, Q was the reason for the Enterprise's first contact with the Borg but we also learned in Q Who? and subsequent episodes that the Federation outposts that were destroyed in TNG's first season episode The Neutral Zone were the handiwork of the Borg. We also know from the Enterprise episode Regeneration that a subspace beacon was sent to that Delta Quadrant that T'Pol estimated would take 200 years to arrive at its destination which would have been about 2353.

So you see, the Borg knew about humans long before Picard encountered them for the first time.

I think both were excellent captains. Because they faced very different situations I really can't compare them.

You forgot one important thing. Picard carelessly let Borg technology float around in the past when he went back to the future causing the whole incident that happened in Enterprise to happen in the first place. Had he cleaned up his mess, no signal would have been sent.

You forgot one important thing. Picard carelessly let Borg technology float around in the past when he went back to the future causing the whole incident that happened in Enterprise to happen in the first place. Had he cleaned up his mess, no signal would have been sent.

320278[/snapback]

I don't think it was carelessness though. The Enterprise-E had suffered a lot of damage and a big loss in crew because of the Borg. It is possible they were unable to detect that parts of the Borg ship had landed on Earth.

Additionally, any attempt to retrieve the Borg wreckage would have alerted the Vulcans to their presence and would have caused a much greater contamination of the timeline.

Picard didn't let the Borg discover humans. The Borg assimilated the Hansens about 2356 which is long before the Enterprise was even commissioned (which was about 2364).

If I remember my timeline correctly, the Hansens didn't go looking for the Borg until after the Enterprise encountered them. The Borg are presumed to be responsible for the lost colonies along the Neutral Zone, but at the time the Hansens left to follow a cube, that was not known.

What causes you to place her assimilation so far back?

Edit: Also, I believe the subspace signal the Borg attempted to send using the Enterprise deflector dish was stopped when Worf, Hawke, and Picard disconnected and destroyed the apparatus.

Edited by Esther

If I remember my timeline correctly, the Hansens didn't go looking for the Borg until after the Enterprise encountered them. The Borg are presumed to be responsible for the lost colonies along the Neutral Zone, but at the time the Hansens left to follow a cube, that was not known.

What causes you to place her assimilation so far back?

Edit: Also, I believe the subspace signal the Borg attempted to send using the Enterprise deflector dish was stopped when Worf, Hawke, and Picard disconnected and destroyed the apparatus.

320619[/snapback]

I got those dates from Seven of Nine's profile at st.com

Picard. Janeway was very good, but seemed to change back and forth on the prime directive at times.

What choices did she have? She very far from home and no support to help her with ship and crew.

Janeway. Picard was a great captain, but Janeway seems to be modeled after Picard but with more guts, riskier like Kirk. For nostalgia, Picard looks better, but I think Janeway is an improved Picard.

What bugs me about Janeway though is this need she has to stop and look at every nebula, especially if it looks dangerous. And... I suppose this applies to both of them, but every now and then, they'll do an episode where a member of the crew is arrested and to be put to death or lobotomized or something else, and the captain just accepts it. I can see it with Picard; for example when Wesley Crusher was to be executed (right?) for walking on the grass, I guess had Picard taken him and ran, the Federation would have just extradited him. But in Voyager, 4x10 "Random Thoughts", Torres is arrested for having a negative thought. After Janeway liberated Seven from the Borg, I thought she'd be in the clear to just beam Torres and the rest of her people out of there and hit it, warp six. What would they have done? The offending thought is now light years away from their little planet, in a starship. Problem solved.

So Janeway's not perfect... but she's a great captain.

I think Picard was the better Captain for essentially one reason. Picard would never have gotten his ship stranded in the Delta quadrant. That Janeway did was a poor desision on her part (something she admits more then once in Seasons 5 and 6 of Voyager).

Of course it's Picard - he is just the ideal captain - nothing could ever change that. Janeway was good, she has a good way with people, is most of the times a good diplomat, but she didn't have Picard's .. flair, I would call it, I guess.

I think Picard should of been Promoted to Admiral Before janeway, I mean she got her Ship lost, and she finally gets home Shes an Admiral, WTF! Picard only saved Starfleet and countless worlds IDK 100 times, let's not forget the Borg Invasion, I can only hope he took Kirk's advice and Declined the Promotion

:oops:

Both are actors of epic caliber, but I get shivers watching Picard. He's more graceful, more classy, and had it been his ship stuck in the Delta Quadrant (with Riker at his side, of course) the Enterprise would've gotten home a hell of a lot faster.

for me it's picard, sisko, janeway and kirk. and the reason kirk is dead last is mainly he couldn't measure up to 24 century captains :-D

.....Kirk?........Captain James T. Kirk?........couldn't measure up to 24th century captains?..... :laugh:

Deep breath........deep breath..........must.....remain.....calm........................

for me it's picard, sisko, janeway and kirk. and the reason kirk is dead last is mainly he couldn't measure up to 24 century captains :-D

.....Kirk?........Captain James T. Kirk?........couldn't measure up to 24th century captains?..... :laugh:

Deep breath........deep breath..........must.....remain.....calm........................

*gives kor his stress pills*

I went with Janeway here. Both Captains are great in their own right. Picard is good at diplomacy and quite an accomplished officer. Janeway is great at being honest with her convictions and her command style is stern, but only because she cares about her crew. I saw way too many eps in which Picard lost a crewmember and didn't seem to care. Janeway, on the other hand always seemed to feel the loss more deeply. That is the primary reason i went with Janeway because she had genuine emotions that were exhibited often. Picard seemed like, for lack of a better word, a Vulcan. Perhaps, that is why his inner emotions were explored in scenarios that didn't "happen" (e.g. Inner light and All good things). It is not my intent to slight Patrick Stewarts acting, in fact, he is very talented. He did the best with what the writers gave him, but Kate Mulgrew's portrayal of Janeway was imo more profound and had greater depth. :laugh:

picard cared...he just had his own way of showing it....like how he lost what little family he had left

Yes, in the movies he seemed a little more passionate. I only wish he had been that same way during the series. Don't get me wrong, he is still a good character, but imo Janeway is better and would be the Captain i would (if Star Trek was real) want to serve under.

Picard had too much starch in his shorts............

sometimes i wonder if kirk did as well :lol:

Nah.......Kirk went commando...... :lol: