Sign in to follow this  
dsbs

Janeway or Picard

Who did you think was the better captain?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think was the better captain?

• Janeway
    • Picard

Tough choice..Both Picard and Janeway are great captains..I like Janeway a lot. It was an impressive feat getting her crew back home in seven years. And I feel that she was a little more personable with her crew..And Jean Luc Picard..What can I say ? A fantastic captain!! I had to vote for him..

Jean-Luc was the better Captain by a mile, he knew when it was time for words and when it was time for action. He also visited the Delta Quadrant (albeit briefly) before Janeway did, so he gets my vote easily. :(

I think that Janeway was more succesful in the Delta Quadrant then Picard would ever have been. She knew how to moitivate her crew through those difficult first few month's, how to learn the new rules of the Delta Quadrant and how to learn them fast, and that they should never give up hope. I think that had the Enterprise - D been in Voyager's position, crew morale would have been low, Picard would probably forbid contact with other species in the Delta Quadrant, (strictly upholding the Prime Directive) He would DEFINETLY avoid the Borg, he would have been content to plot the original 76 year course home and stick the ship on auto-pilot.

However, I do think that Picard was the better Captain overall, just that in that particular enviroment he would have fared badly.

So I voted Picard.

I like both as well but I went with Picard.  He's still in the Captain's chair.

That's true. They promoted Janeway to Admiral.

At the beginning I liked Janeway.  I liked the idea of having a woman captain and I liked Kate Mulgrew.  However I ended up hating what the writers did to her.  They ended up making her weak and wishy-washy. 

I can't disagree with much of what you wrote. However, I find it supremely ironic considering how hard TPTB practically killed themselves to make her a strong leader. In fact, they went so far overboard they really hurt the character of Chakotay in the process. He became so subordinate to her [b/c the producers wanted her to "be in charge."] He was able to get "some of his own back" in a couple of episodes like Scorpion and Equinox but those were few and far between. Robert Beltran has acknowledged the frustration he felt at what happened to Chakotay. And then of course when Seven of Nine came on board it became the Janeway/Seven show. But that's another topic for another day....

Jean-Luc was the better Captain by a mile, he knew when it was time for words and when it was time for action.  He also visited the Delta Quadrant (albeit briefly) before Janeway did, so he gets my vote easily. :P

I don't mean to insult you but in "Where noone has gone before" they didn't say they went in the Delta Quadrant but out of the Galaxy.

This is a tough one. They both have their good points, and their better points. I think Picard had more fighting tactics and strategies, but Janeway was more diplomatic and had more pr. :(

Well...I voted for Picard....darn good tactician and strategist...one of the best Captains that Starfleet ever had...he was also the Commanding Officer of Starfleet's Flagship, which is more than I can say for Janeway...lol

i think both where both good capatins both made alot of stuipd mistake in while in command.

janeway mistake is make alince with borg

picard biggest mistake let romulan spy go with lot infomatoin speical top srecert info

I vote for Picard because ( apart from the fact that he is my favorite TV character )

he virtually outsmarted ( or at least impressed with his intelligence ) Q. An omnipotent being with around 2000 IQ. ( Even Kirk would have trouble doing that, as much as << omnipotent-beings-destroyer he is ). Janeway on the other hand went as far as outsmarting the Borg.

Picards has it all the way Andromeda.

hmmm well this is a hard one... but janeway got crew lost in the delta quadrant... or was it the other quadrants... hmm never mind... picard's cool... janeway's cool but she got lost... but then she got to be an admiral.... uh..

crew: are we there yet?

janeway: no

crew: are we there yet?

janeway: NO

Paris: Maybe we should stop for directions?

janeway: you are kidding me

crew: are we ther YET?

janeway: NO!

....ok I'm done...

Its not a hard choice. I asked myself who I'd rather serve on a Starship and I decided to apply to the Enterprise under Captain Picard. I believe he's got more solid principles and he definately is a great strategist and tactician. Its too bad he never got involved in the Dominion War. He also pass his time by fencing.

Only thing about Picard is that I don't think he's brutal enough. He lacks the Kirk-brutalism in him.

I'm not saying I don't like Janeway. She's good too but I think Chakotay would make a better captain. There were certainly some decision she made that were.... controversial (Trek-wise). In fact, it surprises me SFC made her an Admiral. I thought they'd just keep her captain and give her a new ship. Mebbe a Sovereign like Picards.

Well, I do hope SFC approves my application to the Enterprise. :laugh:

I pick Janeway. At least she didn't make the serious blunder that Picard did by letting the Borg discover humans.