Sign in to follow this  
Gotabite

Who Are THe Borg....REALLY?

:laugh: :borg: Perhaps Some may find this an off the wall topic. But I've always had this question in my mind. If the Borg are a group of assimilated drones........how did they come to be? I mean, how did the first drone or come to be? Or how did the Queen originate? Did I miss the answer to this somewhere in Star Trek history? Maybe someone can help me with this question:blink: :) :borg: :)

The closest explanation was in ST:FC.

Borg Queen to Data, "Humans.  We used to be exactly like them.  Flawed, weak, organic.  Then we evolved to include the synthetic."

:) Thanks for this info., because this question has racked my brain for years.. :borg: :laugh: :) :)

i have two thearies

1: they did evolve into waht they are now or

2: they were conducting nanotechnogly expairments and acadently created the first drone witch assmalated theyre entire culture ect....

as for the queen, in voyager episode "unimatrix 0" the queen said she was about 10 or so when she was assmlated

i have two thearies

1: they did evolve into waht they are now or

2: they were conducting nanotechnogly expairments and acadently created the first drone witch assmalated theyre entire culture ect....

as for the queen, in voyager episode "unimatrix 0" the queen said she was about 10 or so when she was assmlated

In "Dark Frontier", the Queen was on her diamond-ship when it exploded while attempting to exit a sealed transwarp conduit. Perhaps she ment the new body she lives in was assimilated when she was 10?

I have the belief that the borg may have come about as military experiments. Maybe they were trying to create the perfect soldier and the original soldiers turned against them and assimilated the population and then it went from there.

I have the belief that the borg may have come about as military experiments.  Maybe they were trying to create the perfect soldier and the original soldiers turned against them and assimilated the population and then it went from there.

:) :laugh: :) You know that really sounds possible. I too had considered some sort of experiment gone bad. :) :)

I have the belief that the borg may have come about as military experiments.  Maybe they were trying to create the perfect soldier and the original soldiers turned against them and assimilated the population and then it went from there.

:) :) :) You know that really sounds possible. I too had considered some sort of experiment gone bad. :) :laugh:

Kind of makes me think of some other shows I have seen, about the creation considering itself to be superior to the creator, so the creator is destroyed...

My brother and I worked up an elaborate story to explain this when we first starteed watching VOY...it's pretty similar to the actual explaination, though....

I have a similar question. Are all the Borg (or all those we've seen) humans - or indistinguishable

from humans? How come we never see Borg Klingons, Tellarites, Andorians, etc? Also, why don't the

Borg ever assimilate things like dogs and cats (to do more menial tasks)? I assume they have the

capability.

I have a similar question.  Are all the Borg (or all those we've seen) humans - or indistinguishable

from humans?  How come we never see Borg Klingons, Tellarites, Andorians, etc?  Also, why don't the

Borg ever assimilate things like dogs and cats (to do more menial tasks)?  I assume they have the

capability.

Well, we do see "alien" Borg, but from what the Queen told Data, I'm assuming that the original race looked just like Humans, in the same way Betazoids look Human. As for assimilating animals? Perhaps the Borg don't assimilate them becuase they would detract from perfection?

I have a similar question.  Are all the Borg (or all those we've seen) humans - or indistinguishable

from humans?  How come we never see Borg Klingons, Tellarites, Andorians, etc?  Also, why don't the

Borg ever assimilate things like dogs and cats (to do more menial tasks)?  I assume they have the

capability.

The Borg did assimilate many different species. There wasa Voyager episode that I can't remember the name of in which 7 of 9 had a number of personalities immerge that belongs to individuals that she had assimilated. They included a Klingon, Ferengi and some other species as well.

I forget which episode of VOY it was, but there was one where we saw a Cardassian and a Klingon. OOh, It was unimatrix 0

Heres an idea...Maybe the borg were created by another alien race that tried to conduct experiments on humans that just backfired I agree with Gotabite & Ddillard in the theory that the experiments just turned against their creations. You know what..I actually enjoy that I don't really know anything about the Borg's creation, it really adds more to the whole mystery. Q warped Picard and crew to meet them initaly when they were still miles and miles from earth..I imagine he's know where they came from. But I think it was a nefarious scheme gone awry.

Q warped Picard and crew to meet them initaly when they were still miles and miles from earth..I imagine he's know where they came from.

Actually, it was a few thousand light years. :angry:

Too true Cap :martok:

Although it isn't mentioned on the referenced page, I do remember reading (in the ST: The Motion Picture captions for one) that Gene Roddenberry had suggested the machine planet that V'ger came from might have been a Borg home planet. Although, this concept was never brought into the Star Trek cannon it would be an interesting coincidence. But then how was V'ger able to get back to earth so quickly without the Borg knowing...the list could go on. Now that I think of it, that concept would reall be hard to explain.

I remember talking with someone that had a theory on the origins of the borg, I think it went something like:

There were two species at war. The one that was losing somehow got hold of super-advanced nanotechnology. They used it to upgrade themselves. They triumphed of the other species and realised with this technolgy they could rule the galaxy. So they decided to do that. Of course it was a hostile species.

The main difference between this theory and others is this was intentional, not some sort of experiment gone awry.

Although it isn't mentioned on the referenced page, I do remember reading (in the ST: The Motion Picture captions for one) that Gene Roddenberry had suggested the machine planet that V'ger came from might have been a Borg home planet. Although, this concept was never brought into the Star Trek cannon it would be an interesting coincidence.  But then how was V'ger able to get back to earth so quickly without the Borg knowing...the list could go on. Now that I think of it, that concept would reall be hard to explain.

Unfortunately, that hypothesis is really impossible - the borg don't do those kind of things, don't have that technolgy, etc.

Greetings all; I'm new here, and I'll probably be posting a lot. Anyways, I just wanted to share my theory on the origin of the Borg.

I think they did evolve from a humanoid species. It is a possibility that they were integrated with some form of organic Nanomachines. I do remember one episode in TNG which gave an example of organic nanotechnology. If they took over a humanoid race and altered their way of thinking, it probably would have elevated into supreme efficiency, thusly urging the species to assimilate all in order to become more... err... efficient. Also, the humanoid race didn't need to have too much technology in order to reach the point of assimilation bases and ships; that could have been left to the Nanomachines. :borg: Oh yeah, another thing, I'm obsessed with the Borg. ^___^

I agree 44. I think that the Borg started as an advanced humanoid culture that let it's love of technological advances go to far. If we don't watch out it may be possible that we will make that mistake in reality.

Uhm... I didn't imply that their technological advances altered them into the borg, or that they were advanced. I just think they inadvertantly integrated with organic (natural) nanomachines. The nanomachines' efficient chain of thought may have led to the technological advances rather than the humanoid species' intelligence. But, that's just my theory.

Although it isn't mentioned on the referenced page, I do remember reading (in the ST: The Motion Picture captions for one) that Gene Roddenberry had suggested the machine planet that V'ger came from might have been a Borg home planet. Although, this concept was never brought into the Star Trek cannon it would be an interesting coincidence.  But then how was V'ger able to get back to earth so quickly without the Borg knowing...the list could go on. Now that I think of it, that concept would reall be hard to explain.

While it may not be considered "canon", William Shatner did explain that concept in his book, "The Return". The machine planet was indeed partially responsible for the birth of the Borg. The inhabitants of the machine planet built the vehicle for V'Ger so it could complete it's programming-gather all knowledge and return it to the creator. But, as explained in ST:TMP, V'Ger amassed so much knowledge during it's voyage that it developed a consciousness, and a need to evolve. It wanted to "merge" with the creator. Now, here's Shatner's theory. When Decker merged with V'Ger and the Ilia probe, the Borg were born.

While it may not be considered "canon", William Shatner did explain that concept in his book, "The Return". The machine planet was indeed partially responsible for the birth of the Borg. The inhabitants of the machine planet built the vehicle for V'Ger so it could complete it's programming-gather all knowledge and return it to the creator. But, as explained in ST:TMP, V'Ger amassed so much knowledge during it's voyage that it developed a consciousness, and a need to evolve. It wanted to "merge" with the creator. Now, here's Shatner's theory. When Decker merged with V'Ger and the Ilia probe, the Borg were born.

That would rock as an idea... accept for the fact that the Borg are millenia old. If not for that, it could work!

That would rock as an idea...  accept for the fact that the Borg are millenia old.  If not for that, it could work!

Just one question Cap...is there time in space? :)

Something to make you go...hummmmmm. :)

Katy :)

(Just being a stinker.) :bow:

That would rock as an idea...  accept for the fact that the Borg are millenia old.  If not for that, it could work!

Something to make you go...hummmmmm. :)

Yes, there is time in space. The big question is: How does time pass in other regions of the cosmos in relation to Earth? Hmm...

Something to make you go...hummmmmm. :bow:

Yes, there is time in space. The big question is: How does time pass in other regions of the cosmos in relation to Earth? Hmm...

So...Shatner's idea could possibly work then...given that we really don't know how the 'clock' ticks on "Planet Borg". :)

Katy :bow:

(Still being a stinker.) :bow:

Please don't be offended, I'm just enjoying this thread.

Something to make you go...hummmmmm. :bow:

So...Shatner's idea could possibly work then...given that we really don't know how the 'clock' ticks on "Planet Borg". :)

Katy :bow:

(Still being a stinker.) :bow:

Please don't be offended, I'm just enjoying this thread.

Well, if Decker and V'Ger became one, then travelled hundreds of thousands of years back in time, and settled on a planet... then tried to add a civilization to itself... perhaps THAT could be how the Borg happened, but that's just a little bit far fetched! :bow: