Sign in to follow this  
ussacclaim

The Miles OBrien

I've noticed on several occasions the Chief oBrien seems to get injured alot throught eh course of the DS9 series, so much in fact that it almost appears that the writers picked on him alot of the time. I don't know if this is because he has a family and they thought it would be more suspenseful, or maybe the writers like seeing him hurt.

So, let's see how many times he got injured throughout the series. Anybody who remembers a particular episode where the Chief got injured list the episode and the injury so we can see how much of a beating the poor guy took.

Also, why do you think he bore the brunt (well, statistically I don't know if he did, unless you want to do an injury thread for everybody. Hmm, him and Quark may be tied...anyway) of the violence?

Here's what I have so far:

Invasive Procedures-shot in the shoulder

Armageddon Game-infected by the Harvesters

Visionary-dies

Prodigal Daughter-beaten by the authorities

What You Leave Behind I or II-injury on shoulder

What else can anybody remember?

Here's a few you missed. I know there's others, each episode contained some "medical" issues for him.

Tribunal - arrested by the Cardassians and put on trial.

Hippocratic Oath - Beaten by Jem'Hadar and held prisoner

Hard Times - Sentenced to 21-years worth of prison memories

'Transfigurations' - dislocated shoulder, that was TNG though.

Edited by Matt

Take Me Out To The Holosuite - Torn Rotator Cuff

There was also the episode where he was on a 47-game win streak at darts, only to have it ended by a torn rotator cuff. For the moment I can't remember the title of that epoisode.

Miles O'Brien was just such a "man's man" that it made sense to have him getting injured all the time. He just struck me as a such a tough man, physically, even though he was a really good husband and father, very dedicated and loving toward his family. He was big tough guy and good to have around if there was brawl on the horizon.

You can tell that the writers and creators on DS9 really liked the character ... he's just a "lunch-box totin' joe," an "every man" sort of character. Miles is only what he is ... he's brave and loyal and heroic, but he never loses sight of what is really important in life. Leave the glory to everybody else, Miles is just going to do his job as best he can and live with it.

Didn't he hurt his shoulder kayaking in the holosuite at the beginning of the first Section31 episode?

297518[/snapback]

That sounds right, I'd have to go back and watch that episode again to be sure but I think he did.

Visionary-dies

I think there's MUCH more pain in it :spock:

He gets sapped with a dose of radiation, he gets roughed up by Klingons, he loses consciousness every time he sees the future, he dies in a vision, then he does actually die, leaving his future self to take his place in the past.

That's why he's such a cool guy, not just because of the accent :laugh:

That's why he's such a cool guy, not just because of the accent :spock:

297706[/snapback]

And the darts, don't forget the darts.

I also liked that when his shoulder got injured he wouldn't leave until Sisko ordered him too, then when Ben had practically hauled him out of the chair and Jlian was taking him away he quick turned behind him and shouted "Yes sir!" I don't know why, I just thought it was funny.

His character did suffer alot of injuries. I remember that there were alot of TNG episodes where he kept hurting himself in the holodeck.

His character did suffer alot of injuries.  I remember that there were alot of TNG episodes where he kept hurting himself in the holodeck.

299295[/snapback]

He also got shot by that Rutgar Danar (sp?) or whoever in the episode "The Hunted" in the shoulder with a phaser. Dang, with all these injuries to his shoulder, how could he even pick up a dart?!

O'Brien dislocated his shoulder so many times in DS9 that I'm surprised he still had a shoulder by the end of the series. He was always injuring himself whenever he went kyacking (sp?) in the holodeck/holosuite. He even managed to drag Julian along for the ride a few times. I always had to laugh when O'Brien and Julian dressed up for their 'battles' in the holosuite.

Madam Captain out!!