Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

Early Season DS9

I know there are many who say DS9 didn't get good until the Dominion War, and for those people, this thread isn't for you. This is for those who loved the Classic DS9s in the first and second season. This was when the series was defined, the premise was built upon, and all the backstory came in. This is for those who Loved Seasons 1 and 2, like I did. (I consider Season 2 to be my third favorite season)

Season 1

This is probably the best season one of any trek series. We get the characters defined right in the first episode. Sisko as a widowed father who doesn't like the position he was put in. Kira as the Bajoran reincarnate of Ro who hated the fact that she fought through a cardassian occupation just to see the Federation march right in. Quark the criminal/theif/bartender, Odo the tortured and alone constible. Bashir who was like a teenager ready for action, and Dax the wise and, no offense to the dax fans, I thought very bland at first. Heck, I found all these characters bland, but every episode developed them and made them into a likeable folk.

As for the stories, yeah they were your typical trek at the time, but there were some great stories that set up what was to come. For instance, in the first three episodes, Emissary and Past Prolouge, we get great backstory on the bajorans and Kira's Loyalty. Two of my favorite episodes, Progess and Battle Lines showed how much Kira needs to work on the journey to discover herself. In progress, she has to force a fellow bajoran to leave, meaning the sides are reversed. She's the uniform and Mallibok is the freedom fighter. Looking back on the series, these episodes are even more speicial because We know that Kira comes full circle to even help the people she first hate. You got to love that DS9 writing.

There were others that even developed some of the backstory for the Dominion and Odo. Vortex shows Odo really trying to find his home, and gets more info from his prisoner and a changling key. Then there was Captive Pursuit where we find the same shrwding and weapons we see later with the dominion. Was the Tosk race part of the dominion? I think they were.

Then the final two episodes of the season set up DS9 to go back to it's original premise of Bajor and getting them into the federation. Duet was a fantastic episode showing Kira making a major leap towards forgiveness, and In the Hands of the Prophets is the fall out of Kai Opaka's disappearence and first meeting of the competators Berial and Winn.

Season 2

I consider this to be one of my favorite seasons of DS9. This entire season set more stuff up for the series, such as the Womens role in ferengi society in the great episode Rules of Acquisition, or the Dominion being mentioned in Shadowplay, Sactuary, and finally getting to meet them in The Jem'Hadar. We also got to see more bajor with the kick *buttocks* circle trilogy, Cardassians, The Collaborator where Bajor gets the new kai.

One other thing I loved about season 2 was the Maquis situation connecting TNG and setting up Voyager. The two part Maquis story was something DS9 did consistantly well, bring in two great episodes and never let up. We got to see a softer side of Dukat here, and Sisko with the best quote ever in the series, or at least Behr's favorite quote and mine too. "It's easy to be a Saint in Paradise." Too true.

I know I'm making this post really long, but I think you can see why I'm such a fan of DS9, and really into the political aspect of it. Many folks say the first two seasons are boring, well I thought the first 2 seasons were some of the most interesting aspects of Trek the franchise as ever produced. To conclude here are my top five best and underrateds from these two seasons.

Best Season 1

Battle Lines

Duet

Emissary

Progress

Dax

Underrated Season 1

Captive Pursuit

Past Prolouge

Battle Lines

Vortex

The Forsaken

Best Season 2

Whispers (Great twist, but not as good as Bashir as a changling)

The Circle Trilogy

Cardassians

Tribunal

Blood Oath

Underrated

The Collaborator

Tribunal

Blood Oath

Paradise

Armageddon Game

I agree, the first 2 season's were key in developing the characters that all Niners came to love by the end of season 7.

One episode from Season 1 that doesn't get any attention and wasn't especially "great" but I've always enjoyed a great deal is "Move Along Home". I found it very entertaining and enjoy revisiting it from time to time.

The only season 1 episode I don't like is "In the Hands of the Prophets".

I'm with ya, gdog. You're preaching to the choir here so I won't reiterate points you've already made.

I think that the writing on DS9 throughout the series was some of the best work ever seen on television in any genre, not just Trek. The entire series was an "arc", like a good book that you don't want to end. Kira's evolution was wondeful to watch.

I did not mind the introduction of Worf as a character on DS9, and if it brought more people in to watch every week, well that just benefited all of us. The first three seasons for me were just as good as the last four.

I Loved The First 2 Seasons. They Were Great. Plenty Of Classic Episodes. And I Agree, DS9 Has The Best First Season Of Any Star Trek Show.

I think that the writing on DS9 throughout the series was some of the best work ever seen on television in any genre, not just Trek.

Oh Definitely :unsure:

*Watching DS9 Right Now, Season 4.* I Watch 4 Episodes Every Wednesday, Up To Disc 2 On Season 4. :blink:

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

I agree, the first 2 season's were key in developing the characters that all Niners came to love by the end of season 7.

One episode from Season 1 that doesn't get any attention and wasn't especially "great" but I've always enjoyed a great deal is "Move Along Home". I found it very entertaining and enjoy revisiting it from time to time.

The only season 1 episode I don't like is "In the Hands of the Prophets".

279421[/snapback]

Really. I'm surprised by that. I guess it's because I love ITHOTP, and MAH. The only episode I didn't particulary care for was Q Less, but it was still decent.

VBG Doesn't Like Winn, So That May Have Something To Do With It.  :unsure:

279521[/snapback]

That's 100% correct lol, I didn't like the character or the premise of the character. I would have been happier if they (the writers) had gone in a different direction. It's even possible that a different actress might have made a difference in my opinion.

I just guess that making religious people into "wacko's" is one of Hollywood establishment's staples though.

I just guess that making religious people into "wacko's" is one of Hollywood establishment's staples though.

279578[/snapback]

That is so true. And so unfair. It's usually the Protestant and Catholic Christians who are made out to be nutcases. I've known a lot of ministers and not one of them was crazy.

Winn was just awful ... I hated her so much I would skip entire segments of episodes in which she was part of the main storyline. I hate to skip entire episodes because the side stories were so important for character development. I wish we had some way to program our DVD player to just skip her scenes all together. :unsure:

VBG Doesn't Like Winn, So That May Have Something To Do With It.  :unsure:

279521[/snapback]

That's 100% correct lol, I didn't like the character or the premise of the character. I would have been happier if they (the writers) had gone in a different direction. It's even possible that a different actress might have made a difference in my opinion.

279578[/snapback]

They didn't make all religous people wackos. Look at Kira, or even Worf in Rapture. Hell, the only wacko we saw in the first few seasons were Vedek/Kai Winn.

It's not usually the religious followers that are made out to nuts, mainly the religious leaders. Thus Winn had to be crazy. Heaven forbid they could have hung on to Opaka and made the faith out to be less of a vehicle for those Vedeks with political aspirations.

There's always a hint of "There idiots believing in 'gods' " in the way Hollywood portrays religious people though, the Federation is shown "humoring" the Bajorans and their silly little religion and while it's true that there were instances where it's taken seriously and treated properly that's because they pretty much have to if they want their stories to have credibility with the viewers.

On the whole though, they see religious people as nut cases.

There's always a hint of "There idiots believing in 'gods' " in the way Hollywood portrays religious people though, the Federation is shown "humoring" the Bajorans and their silly little religion and while it's true that there were instances where it's taken seriously and treated properly that's because they pretty much have to if they want their stories to have credibility with the viewers.

281566[/snapback]

I forget the episode, but, in that sneering voice of his, Gul Dukat called the Bajoran faith a "backwoods superstition." I'm sure that is the true sentiment of the majority of people in Hollywood, ST people included.

281566[/snapback]

I forget the episode, but, in that sneering voice of his, Gul Dukat called the Bajoran faith a "backwoods superstition." I'm sure that is the true sentiment of the majority of people in Hollywood, ST people included.

282221[/snapback]

That was from part 1 of a great 2 part episode, it was from "In Purgatory's Shadow" when Dukat discovers that Zyal and Garak are in a relationship.

Dukat confronts Kira with the situation and Kira thinks he's mad about her taking Zyal to the Bajoran temple for services. That's when Dukat calls it a backward superstition.

i just recently enjoyed season 1 and 2 again, and enjoyed them immensely. Captive Pursuit has alaways stuck in my mind prominently and was glad to see it again. It shows us once again that we should attempt to understand other cultures before hastily judging them and accept the difference no matter what our perceptions tell us.

VBG Doesn't Like Winn, So That May Have Something To Do With It.  :nono:

279521[/snapback]

279578[/snapback]

Do you hate the idea of Winn or do you hate the character like "She's so evil I want her to diiiiiiiiiie!" hate her?

281566[/snapback]

282221[/snapback]

That was from part 1 of a great 2 part episode, it was from "In Purgatory's Shadow" when Dukat discovers that Zyal and Garak are in a relationship.

Dukat confronts Kira with the situation and Kira thinks he's mad about her taking Zyal to the Bajoran temple for services. That's when Dukat calls it a backward superstition.

282237[/snapback]

I could slap myself for not remembering what episode that was from! That is one of my favorites ... no wonder I remembered the quote. I've watched that two-parter so many times.

Thanks!

Do you hate the idea of Winn or do you hate the character like "She's so evil I want her to diiiiiiiiiie!" hate her?

282347[/snapback]

I didn't like the character, the writing for the character, the concept for the character or the actress that played the character.

I pretty much disliked it all the way around lol

Whose bright idea was it to loose Nurse Ratchett on Bajor anyway?

Back on topic - Seasons 1 and 2 both impressed me with some of their episodes. I enjoy many of them, and love a few - "Dax" is the first one that comes to mind. I could watch that episode over and over...

Wait a minute - I have... :frusty:

I've always liked the season one episodes Progress, Duet and Dax..Especially Progress..That probably is my fav season 1 episode..Brian Keith was good as that old Bajoran farmer forced to leave his home..And it forced Kira to examine how much she has changed since she became the Bajoran adminstrator with the Federation team on the station..A great Kira episode for sure..