Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Ferengi

They started off life as the new Klingons. Evil nasty hissing little monsters with whips. But then that didn't work. Four foot villians just didn't wash. "Give me your ship or i'll bite your ankles" sort of thing. So then they became the humorous villans: they're bad but they're funny. Then they became all right. A bit like the Klingons. And the few bad ones we saw were just bad and not reflective of the people as a whole. Now. Profit seeking aliens is a good idea. I think all the aliens in Star Trek represent an exagerated facet of human nature. To go a little off topic, the Deltans (as portrayed by Illea TMP) were all about sex for example. The Klingons were originally arrogance. etc etc. But anyway, all in all the Ferengi just became the laughing stock of the galaxy. With their funny ears and devious nature they were, as we would say at home, 'wee scamps'! Did you like them, hate them, have any opinion on them? I would be glad to hear.

As most people will probably say, I didn't exactly like the Ferengi at first, but with Quark and all the other Ferengi, my view has completely changed. I love 'em! :laugh:

As most people will probably say, I didn't exactly like the Ferengi at first, but with Quark and all the other Ferengi, my view has completely changed. I love 'em!  :laugh:

About the same here. I never liked the Ferengi as featured on TNG, Voy or Ent. I loved the DS9 Ferengi, though. The DS9 writers were great at giving them some depth, and differing ideas. Which unfortunately is rare, beyond humans, in a lot of Trek species.

Some of my favorite episodes are the Quark/Rom/Nog episodes. I love "Those Magnificent Ferengi" that episode is classic! How about "The House Of Quark" or "Ferengi Love Songs"? Not to mention " Little Green Men", "Bar Association", " Looking for Par'Mach in All the Wrong Places", "Treachery, Faith And The Great River" and "Rules of Acquisition". I don't know how many times I've watched those episodes.

I love the Ferengi. I have always loved the concept of a species that is driven only by making profit, by any means necessary. They are seen as the galaxies laughing stock, but they should not be under estimated because they are dangerous in their own way.

As most people will probably say, I didn't exactly like the Ferengi at first, but with Quark and all the other Ferengi, my view has completely changed. I love 'em!  :innocent:

About the same here. I never liked the Ferengi as featured on TNG, Voy or Ent. I loved the DS9 Ferengi, though. The DS9 writers were great at giving them some depth, and differing ideas. Which unfortunately is rare, beyond humans, in a lot of Trek species.

when were the ferengi on ENTERPRISE? i must of missed it. any way i like quark, rom , and nog, they were great, and had good humor, and the perfect amount of greed to be funny. but i never gave them much thought till DS9.

As most people will probably say, I didn't exactly like the Ferengi at first, but with Quark and all the other Ferengi, my view has completely changed. I love 'em!  :innocent:

when were the ferengi on ENTERPRISE? i must of missed it. any way i like quark, rom , and nog, they were great, and had good humor, and the perfect amount of greed to be funny. but i never gave them much thought till DS9.

It was in the first season episode Acquisition The Ferengi weren't named though so there were no problems with the time line.

Clint Howard played a Ferengi and so did Jeffery Combs in that Episode. I believe Nelix (I forget the actors name) was in that episode too wasn't he?

I hate this way that Enterprise is putting in whatever it wants "as long as they aren't named". It seems to be giving them carte blanche to do what they want.

On episode Acquisition on Enterprise NX-01 we see the following :

Jeffrey Combs (Weyoun on DS9, Shran on ENT) as Ferengi Krem

Ethan Phillips (Neelix on VOY) as Ferengi Ulis

Clint Howard (Grady on DS9) as Ferengi Muk

Matt Malloy as Ferengi Grish

Synopsis:

When the Ferengi, a group of interstellar thieves, stun the Enterprise crew and try to rob the ship, it's up to Trip to work covertly to stop them.

I hate this way that Enterprise is putting in whatever it wants "as long as they aren't named". It seems to be giving them carte blanche to do what they want.

Agreed. I must say, I was slightly more pleased with the way the Borg were handled in the recent episode "Regeneration", but the idea that the Enterprise writers and producers feel the need to repeatedly use species traditionally considered 24th century species (like the Ferengi and the Borg) on Enterprise irks me. But I suppose this is an opinion for a different forum.

They started off life as the new Klingons. Evil nasty hissing little monsters with whips. But then that didn't work. Four foot villians just didn't wash. "Give me your ship or i'll bite your ankles" sort of thing. So then they became the humorous villans: they're bad but they're funny. Then they became all right. A bit like the Klingons. And the few bad ones we saw were just bad and not reflective of the people as a whole. Now. Profit seeking aliens is a good idea. I think all the aliens in Star Trek represent an exagerated facet of human nature. To go a little off topic, the Deltans (as portrayed by Illea TMP) were all about sex for example. The Klingons were originally arrogance. etc etc. But anyway, all in all the Ferengi just became the laughing stock of the galaxy. With their funny ears and devious nature they were, as we would say at home, 'wee scamps'! Did you like them, hate them, have any opinion on them? I would be glad to hear.

They are a favorite species of mine, such wonderful creepy little metaphors for Corporate Greed. I miss the ankle biter class, they were a hoot.

It was in the first season episode Acquisition The Ferengi weren't named though so there were no problems with the time line.

ok i remember now, i forgot all about that one. it was an alright episode.

I don't like the Ferengi except for Quark and his brother Rom.  :laugh:

Anyone else think Rom sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger on drugs? :)

I don't like the Ferengi except for Quark and his brother Rom.  :)

Anyone else think Rom sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger on drugs? :)

:) :wow: :huh: :) :) :) :laugh:

I don't like the Ferengi except for Quark and his brother Rom.  :)

Anyone else think Rom sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger on drugs? :wow:

:) :huh: :) :) :laugh: :) :)

Thought someone would like that B)

LOL...Funny

I didn't Like The Ferengi when we first met them. They seemed too...Barbaric....Then as TNG went on...they kinda got into the whole profit thing...then DS9 Took them to whole new level. Putting a Ferengi as a Regular on a Trek show was Genius. cool.gif

LOL...Funny

I didn't Like The Ferengi when we first met them.  They seemed too...Barbaric....Then as TNG went on...they kinda got into the whole profit thing...then DS9 Took them to whole new level.  Putting a Ferengi as a Regular on a Trek show was Genius. cool.gif

Not only putting them on as regulars but doing complete episodes revolving around them. Some of my favorite DS9's are Quark episodes, and I loved it when Nog went into Starfleet and then became a bit of a "hero" in AR-558.

Star Trek came a long way by the time DS9 came along. Could you imagine an TOS centered on an alien race? TNG did it with Worf but I think DS9 did it more successfully with the Ferengi.

LOL...Funny

I didn't Like The Ferengi when we first met them.  They seemed too...Barbaric....Then as TNG went on...they kinda got into the whole profit thing...then DS9 Took them to whole new level.  Putting a Ferengi as a Regular on a Trek show was Genius. cool.gif

Not only putting them on as regulars but doing complete episodes revolving around them. Some of my favorite DS9's are Quark episodes, and I loved it when Nog went into Starfleet and then became a bit of a "hero" in AR-558.

Star Trek came a long way by the time DS9 came along. Could you imagine an TOS centered on an alien race? TNG did it with Worf but I think DS9 did it more successfully with the Ferengi.

I have to agree. DS9 is the first series that I have seen pull it off. I think that goes to the diversity of the inhabitants occupying the station.

DS9 ep's with the Ferengi totaly altered how I thought about the Ferengi..but still find them overall annoying..Love that ep of TNG where Riker calls Quark for a favor.

DS9 ep's with the Ferengi totaly altered how I thought about the Ferengi..but still find them overall annoying..Love that ep of TNG where Riker calls Quark for a favor.

Which one was that?

It was..I believe..."Firstborn", season 7

I will have to check that one out. I do not remember it.

The Ferengi has their purpose, and I agree that it's in DS9 that we got to know them better

I think all the aliens in Star Trek represent an exagerated facet of human nature.

I agree.. I even did a philosophical paper on that one day for a class... I don't understand why I got the highter grade.. ehehe

And I like to see how the authors see a totaly capitalist society. Makes us thing about if it's what we wants for ourselves...

Yep, really good place for philosophical debate here, so I'll :-X

The Ferengi has their purpose, and I agree that it's in DS9 that we got to know them better

I think all the aliens in Star Trek represent an exagerated facet of human nature.

I agree.. I even did a philosophical paper on that one day for a class... I don't understand why I got the highter grade.. ehehe

And I like to see how the authors see a totaly capitalist society. Makes us thing about if it's what we wants for ourselves...

Yep, really good place for philosophical debate here, so I'll :-X

I totally agree. Your instructer was pretty smart giving you a good grade.

I have always enjoyed the Ferengi. They are truely an representation of Capitalists. I thought the episodes when you saw Fereginar were hysterical. Everything had its price. They also do not give their women too much in freedoms. They are not even allowed to wear cloths. YIKES

I didn't really like them either but Quark and Liquidator Brunt changed my opinion on them.

Stardate:213444.9

I agree i didnt like the Ferengi in TNG but when i saw Quark in DS9 i started to love them

I still have to say that the Ferengi are one if not my favorite race from Trek. The way that they are portrayed in DS9 gave them alot of depth and it shows the extreme that can be caused by a society that revolves around money.