Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

How Would You Rate "Cold Station 12"?

What rating would you give "Cold Station 12" out of 10?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Cold Station 12" out of 10?

Cold Station 12, part 2 of the 3 part epic with BRENT SPINER as Dr. Soong - the evil and very likable one.

Last week was a very interesting episode due to the array of characters. Like the season opener, it can only get better as it moves on to tonight's part' and hopefully; even better next week.

I just can't wait to see how Brent will add to the legacy that is Data and his families history! This saga is a must see for Enterprise watchers and non-watchers alike! Bring on the fun Enterprise, and bring on the ratings Startrekfan's members!

MY REVIEW:

Click For Spoiler
The first part, "Borderland" left some to be desired. But it was merely the introduction to the characters. Things got spicy this time around! I'm loving the character dynamics, as they are very complicated. For example: Malik is trying to assert dominance over his "father", Soong is trying to maintain control of Malik, the augments seem inclined to follow Soong but also have to listen to Malik, Malik's girlfriend challenges him about his ideas regarding Soong, the lies and deception, the killing of people who do not agree, the attempts to preserve life by Soong. Etc, Etc. There's just so much there to make the scenes so intense. Action alone does nothing. It's the effect the action has on the characters that makes it interesting. Enterprise needed this! I was on my seat the whole time. Especially with the Cold Station 12 scenes. The torture and murder scenes were very powerful. I am very happy how these episodes are turning out. For the sheer intensity I haven't felt in a very long time I will have to give the episode a good rating...

MY RATING:

Click For Spoiler

DID ANYONE NOTICE:

Click For Spoiler
The doorways and bridge railings aboard Enterprise are BLUE rather than their usual metallic color! Personally, I like it! Not because it's better, but because it's a change.

The transporter room, as mentioned, has also changed. A little over the top IMO.

Other than the Starfleet pips, T'Pol's uniform has also changed. It has blue stripes along the top that move from the neck out to the shoulders. I presume these are the science colors that you would see on a standard uniform.

Edited by Captain Bolivar

Click For Spoiler
OMG! I'm just watching the opening scene now. The boy and girl both look just like 7 of 9 :rolleyes: anyone else notice this???

Interesting Episode to say the least,

Click For Spoiler
I see that Soong is changing his viewpoint a lot during the progression of this story, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out in hos own personal struggle.

Click For Spoiler
Very excellent episode. I gave it a 9.5.

Soong needs to watch his back with Malik. I thought Soong was bad, Malik I think will prove to be more of a rival than a prodigy. When Malik shot Smike, Smyke, Smik, I have a problem with the way it's spelled and pronounced B) anyway, Smike reminds me of Fenriz, alot :o YEPP. :yes: Looks like him AND talks like him. So is he dead? :laugh:

I don't think Archer will get up that tube in time :rolleyes: Can't wait for the Klingons to get ahold of that little ********, Malik :hug:

Click For Spoiler
I think Soong will end up getting killed by Malik and then Malik gets himself a little "attitude adjustment", Klingon style. If Archer doesn't kill him first. I didn't expect to see them actually kill a hostage. I think Soong is starting to think maybe these Augments ain't such nice people. :rolleyes: If he finds out Malik murdered Rakim and then Smike, I don't think he'll be so understanding of his "children." Next week...Klingons! :laugh:

I actually gave it a 10. Well done episode, IMO.

Click For Spoiler
I liked the twist with Dr. Soong seemingly willing to kill, then wanting to save the CS12 crewman with the antivirus. Malik is a dangerous dude, to challenge Dr. Soong. The augments appear doomed as a result, with a scism between those supporting Malik vs those for Dr. Soong. IMO.

I was in a strange mood tonight. I was having a hard time following the beginning of part 2. Did anybody else feel that there was a lot thrown on us in the first 15 minutes?

I gave it a 9.5. I thought it was an excellent episode. Better when compared to the last one.

Click For Spoiler
As first Soong is made to seem like, basically, a mad scientist. This episode reveals him to be someone who, while being rather unethical, cares deeply about what he does. Though he has given the Augments misinformation about how "normal" humans felt about them, he does truly care about them much like a real father would care about his children.

I think it would be interresting if one of the Augments takes his name and has a child (since we haven't seen or heard anything about Arik Soong having a child). That would explain how Noonien Soong was so intelligent, enoguh so that he was able to create Data, even if the story-line doesn't actually say so.

Edited by wishfire

Click For Spoiler
I think it would be interresting if one of the Augments takes his name and has a child (since we haven't seen or heard anything about Arik Soong having a child). That would explain how Noonien Soong was so intelligent, enoguh so that he was able to create Data, even if the story-line doesn't actually say so.

278256[/snapback]

Hmm, maybe that will be in next week's episode.

Edited by Ace

I gave it a six.

Click For Spoiler
I'm having a hard time getting that Star Fleet's security is so easily overrun that all these augments have to do is walk in and shoot the poor dunce who'd just standing there - um looking like a dunce. What about scanning the vessels for life signs - having a security field between the air lock and the entrance. I dont' know it just bugs me to the point I'm not buying the superiority business. They're just writing Star Fleet personnel as dunces.

I'm guessing Soong will survive the next episode so he can go off and have that progeny necessary to Data's future existence. Remember the augments were modified by him - so he is quite brilliant.

And I agree, we are seeing more to his character as he realizes he's opened a Pandora's box.

I also wonder why extra physical strength and advanced intellect makes one "evil". We have people with IQ's over 200 and they aren't necessarily evil - nor did they have to be engineered to be smart.

I think the interesting questions were "why weren't the embryo's destroyed?" and why can't humans develop genetic engineering without destroying themselves?

I think the answer to the latter is they changed the focus from "repairing things that wen't wrong" to "trying to improve the basic design" - in order to do the latter you have to understand the basic design and know what "improvement" really means.

Anyway, bugs me that T'Pol was in charge - I have to agree with Trinneergirl - T'Pol doesn't garner respect. I cringed when Trip had to take orders from her. And, there is no reason for her not to wear a Star Fleet uniform if she accepted a Star Fleet commission. If it wasn't for T'Pol I probably would have rated it higher and I'm not sure once there isn't a Spiner guest appearance to counter-balance her negative appeal there will be a reason to watch. So I'm sad that next week ends this arc.

Edited by Ace

I gave it a ten because you could see the final stand between the creations and the creater when it comes to the killing of people. Soong might be bad, but he is no killer.

Click For Spoiler
I think Soong will end up getting killed by Malik and then Malik gets himself a little "attitude adjustment", Klingon style. If Archer doesn't kill him first. I didn't expect to see them actually kill a hostage. I think Soong is starting to think maybe these Augments ain't such nice people. :o If he finds out Malik murdered Rakim and then Smike, I don't think he'll be so understanding of his "children." Next week...Klingons!  :rolleyes:

278205[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler
I disagree. For Dr. Noonien Soong, Data's creator, to exist, Dr. Arik Soong needs to have some kids of his own. I also think that they would need to be made the "natural" way, as Augments will not fit into society.

did anyone notice

Click For Spoiler
in Aril Soong's lab where he raised the augments,
a device that looks like a long red colored rod that was also located in Noonien Soong's Lab on the planet on that episode on TNG? Edited by mj

did anyone notice
Click For Spoiler
in Arik Soong's lab where he raised the augments,
  a device that looks like a long red colored rod  that was also located in Noonien Soong's Lab on the planet on that episode on TNG?

278493[/snapback]

Yeah, I spotted that. Mostly because I just saw "DataLore" the other day.

Edited by mj

I gave it an 8.0. I find

Click For Spoiler

From the Moderators:

Please remember to use spoilers when giving any details about current Enterprise episodes.

Spoilers will be added to text that gives too many details about current episodes.

From the Moderators:

Please remember to use spoilers when giving any details about current Enterprise episodes.

Spoilers will be added to text that gives too many details about current episodes.

278656[/snapback]

Can we start a thread and put a spoiler warning in the title? I've done this before - it makes no sense to me to have a thread where every post has to be placed in a spoiler.

What is considered current? a week, a month, a season after an episode has aired?

We have a thread where we have specifically asked about spoiler policy in this forum. So far we have not recieved a lot of responses to this poll. The poll was originally started by Captain Bolivar, who agrees with you.

We also have a thread where we are looking at when Enterprise is first seen in the local viewing areas. We are trying to determine who would be affected by changing policy, but currently last year's policy is in place.

For the time being please do not start threads without using spoilers. I have placed warnings at the start of some threads with spoilers, but please forbear for the time being, and do not post any season four threads without spoilers.

Also be aware that some of our members are in the middle of season 3 now.

Click For Spoiler

If that happened Noonien Soong wouldn't actually be related to Arik, would look nothing like him, and would not be played by the same actor.

On the spoiler issue: Why would someone who is in the middle of watching season three, read a thread called "How Would You rate Cold Station 12"? This makes no sense. If you read a thread about an episode you have not seen, you should expect spoilers.

This episode was much better than Borderland. I really enjoyed it. Next week should be a terrific finale.

Click For Spoiler
I was really glad to see Phlox on an "away" mission. I hope he gets the opportunity more often. I always thought it weird that he hardly ever leaves sick bay. Compared to previous Dr's he's been getting the shaft.

10!

The heart of ENT is really beating now. Watching this one I could not stop thinking of TOS Dagger of the Mind.

I've liked ENT all along but these new stories are a Hugh improvement. Even [some] hardcore bashers are settling down a bit and joining in on praising Coto and his fantastic new direction. If this keeps up then I see no problem for ENT going 3 more years...

I've been participating in nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) this month and haven't had time to log on to STFs, though I make sure I watch Enterprise before starting my evening writing session each Friday :unsure:

Anyway, I've been meaning to post some questions I have about the latest episodes. What is the relationship between this Soong and Data? How many generations separate them? Do the Augments have anything to do with Khan?

I hope someone decides to write a book expanding on these episodes. I would love to get in-depth details.

Anyway, I've been meaning to post some questions I have about the latest episodes. What is the relationship between this Soong and Data? How many generations separate them? Do the Augments have anything to do with Khan?

280006[/snapback]

All that has been said is that Arik Soong is an ancestor of Noonien Soong. TPTB haven't stated what their direct relationship is although we seem to be assuming he's a Noonien Soong's great-grandfather.

Sign in to follow this