Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Episode Spotlight - TNG

causeandeffect361.jpg

A groundbreaking episode in which the Enterprise is caught in a causality loop and appears to be doomed to repeating the same events over and over again. The concept of a repeating moment in time had never been done before and was quickly copied by others such as in the Bill Murray movie Groundhog Day.

Another brilliant episode directed by Jonathan Frakes who used a wide variety of different camera angles to give each loop a different look.

This episode also featured a cameo by Kelsey Grammar as Captain Bateson of the U.S.S. Bozeman.

Startrek.com Synopsis: While playing poker with Riker, Data and Worf, a strange feeling of déjà vu helps Beverly successfully call Riker's bluff. She is then summoned to sickbay to examine a dizzy Geordi, and once again experiences this sensation. When she goes to bed that evening, she is haunted by strange voices in her quarters. The ship continues to chart the Typhon Expanse, a previously unexplored region of space, until the distortion field suddenly fluctuates, the main propulsion systems collapse, and the Enterprise is thrown into red alert on a collision course with an older starship. Riker recommends decompressing the main shuttlebay, but Picard follows Data's advice and uses the tractor beam to alter the other ship's trajectory. Unfortunately, this course fails, the ships collide and the Enterprise explodes and is completely destroyed.

Later, Riker, Data, Worf and Beverly are playing cards again, and both Riker and Beverly realize they know what is coming next. Beverly is again summoned to Sickbay, where she and Geordi both experience feelings of déjà vu. When she hears the voices in her room, she immediately goes to Picard and tells him that something strange is going on. He decides to run a diagnostic. The next morning, while discussing the results of that diagnostic, the older ship mysteriously appears and the Enterprise is again destroyed.

The card game is in full swing again, but this time, all four players realize they know what cards are coming next. Beverly anticipates being called to Sickbay, and when Geordi again shows up feeling dizzy, she goes to Picard and repeats their previous exchange. She hears the voices in her room again, but this time Beverly turns on her tape recorder. The recording is studied, and Data deduces that the strange voices are the voices of the crew.

Beverly and Geordi realize that they are trapped in a causality loop — a time warp that dooms them to endlessly repeat the same fragment of time. This phenomenon is causing Geordi's dizziness, and Data discovers that it also explains the voices on the tape, which are "echoes" from a previous loop. He isolates pieces of dialogue that indicate that the Enterprise collided with another ship, exploded, and got stuck in the time warp. Realizing that whatever they do to avoid the collision will probably be the same thing they have done before, Data decides the only hope is to send a deliberate message into the next loop. They prepare to send the message, the red alert begins again, and the ship is destroyed.

Another card game is in progress, but this time, the cards are different, with everything occurring in threes. Things continue to happen in sets of three, and the number three is seen everywhere for no explicable reason. Other than this difference everything occurs as before. When the red alert begins, Picard again chooses Data's advice over Riker's. At the last minute, however, Data notices the three pipes on Riker's uniform and, realizing "three" was the message he planted for himself, takes Riker's advice and leads the ship to safety. The collision avoided, the crew is hailed by the older ship, the U.S.S. Bozeman. The Enterprise contacts Starfleet Command, who reports that they have been caught in a time warp for seventeen days, while the other ship has been stuck for 90 years.

causeandeffect404.jpg

:idea: A Timeloop would drive me NUTS!!!!!!!!! :bow:

:rolleyes: B) My life in my house is crazy enough. Don't need it to repeat itself. It's bad enough from one day to the next seems to be the same old, same old. B) :rolleyes:;) For everything to be exactly the same day in and day out would probably put me in the nuthouse. Or maybe to the piont of never getting out of bed. :oops: :P

;) Have fun with this one because it really makes you think, "What if?" :tear:

Just an interesting point on this one, they (TPTB) wanted to have Kirsti Alley (As Savvik) to play the First Officer on Kelsey Grammers ship but because of her schedule she couldn't do it.

I love this episode I don't know just something about it.. :laugh:

Me too. You'd think it would get annoying, but I'd add this to my watch over and over again list :laugh:

I love this episode I don't know just something about it.. :laugh:

Me too. You'd think it would get annoying, but I'd add this to my watch over and over again list :laugh:

Sounds like your caught in a causality loop there DSBS :laugh:

If you saw my daughter's post under my name in the convention thread you will see it's her favourite episode too.

This is one of my favorite ST episodes period. :laugh: The plot was fresh and never before attempted. I loved the glimpse of late 23rd century Bozeman and it's crew. The Enterprise crew were shocked when they realized how much time had passed. Imagine how shocked the Bozeman's crew was!

Did anyone see the book "SHip of the LIne" can't remember what happened in it anymore, but i know that it had Kelsey's character in it and even has his likeness one the cover.

All I can say is that this episode puts me in the mood for toss salad and scrambled eggs....there coming again

It's one of the best I'v watched it at least a dozen times all ready I love to watch for the small changes in each loop and I see something new every time I watch it.

It's one of the best I'v watched it at least a dozen times all ready I love to watch for the small changes in each loop and I see something new every time I watch it.

That's one of my favorite things about this episode. It's practically the same each time (except when Bev starts to figure out something's wrong,) but each scene was filmed a different way then before.

I loved this episode! definatley in my top ten, although I don't know what number because my order is always changing.

a couple months ago I decided to watch it on 3-3-03 around 3. It was really funny because it ws totally a coinsidence, and i didn't remeber what day it was until later ..:laugh: I also herd somewhere that it was like the 333 day of the year...or maybe it was 333 days left till th end ogf the year...well anyway, it was reallly funny, so now its going to be my annual thing, watch cause and effect on the third of march :laugh:

Just an interesting point on this one, they (TPTB) wanted to have Kirsti Alley (As Savvik) to play the First Officer on Kelsey Grammers ship but because of her schedule she couldn't do it.

I heard that too. It would've been funny if they could have had the whole bridge populated with Cheers people. Carla on the weapons, Norm on the helm. The USS Barstool! :innocent:

Cause and Effect was a brillant episode but the timeloop as it was called would drive even a Vulcan to drink. :innocent:

La Forge: We're hit!

Riker: Oh, crud. Captain, we have to....

Picard: No. Data, do something as long as it's not whatever Riker suggests.

Data: Ha! Data 1, Riker 0!

Enterprise: KA-BLAM!

Captain's Log: See? We didn't just blow up! Ha! So there!

Data: Five aces. I win.

Riker: Data, are you cheating?

Data: Nah. I'm saving that for later.

Nurse Ogawa: (over the comm) Doctor, Geordi's whining again.

Crusher: Sigh. Tell me something I don't know.

Crusher: La de da de do.

Voices: You need singing lessons, lady.

Crusher: What the...?

Data: The sensors can't find anything. I believe the Doctor is nuts.

Picard: I concur.

Data: Let's do my idea.

Picard: Agreed.

Data: Ha! Data 2, Riker 0!

Riker: How did you get 2? You're not supposed to know that.

Captain's Log: This area of space is unexplored, but somehow I have the feeling we'll be running into another Starfleet vessel.

Riker: Crapcrapcrapcrap...I mean, I raise you 50.

Crusher: You're bluffing.

Riker: Gasp! How did you know?

La Forge: Waaaah. My visor's all weird.

Crusher: This seems familiar....

La Forge: That's because I whine a lot.

Crusher: Yeah, but that's not it....

Crusher: I heard voices.

Picard: Could this have anything to do with those magic mushrooms you're growing in Sickbay?

Crusher: Well, I...aw, dammit.

Data: Your idea's stupid.

Riker: No, yours is!

Data: No, yours is!

Picard: Oh, enough already. Data's way smarter than you, Riker.

Data: Ha! Data 3, Riker 0!

Captain's Log: WHEEE! Again! Again!

Crusher: Watch this -- a ten, a seven, and a Queen.

Data: And you thought I was cheating?

Crusher: Wait a minute. Ogawa, is Geordi whining again?

Ogawa: (over the comm) No.

La Forge: (over the comm) Waaaah! My visor's all weird.

Ogawa: I stand corrected.

Crusher: I heard voices in my quarters.

La Forge: (over the comm) Suuuuure. Cuckoo! Cuckoo!

Crusher: Stop that!

Data: The voices the Doctor heard were of people getting it on.

Picard: Could you tell who they belonged to?

Data: To us, sir.

Crusher: "Us" on the ship or "us" in this room?

Riker: Uh, Captain...does Data have to answer that?

La Forge: We're in a time loop, so doing anything is pointless because we've probably already tried it.

Picard: Nice try, you slacker. Find a way to send a message into the next loop.

Picard: Data, do your thing.

Data: Ha! Data 4, Riker 0!

Picard: This time for sure!

Enterprise: Hmm...nope. KA-BLAM!

Captain's Log: If a ship blows up in a time loop, does anybody care?

Crusher: Oo! Oo! I know what the cards are going to be. A ten, a seven, a Queen, and a joker.

Worf: We're not playing with jokers.

Crusher: Oh. Well, never mind then.

Data: We're getting what could be a message from the previous loop, but I think it's phony.

Picard: What does it say?

Data: "Listen to Riker."

Picard: That can't be right. Could you be missing a "don't" somewhere?

Data: Captain, let's do Riker's idea so he'll shut up.

(They avoid the oncoming ship)

Data: Ha! Data 5, Riker 1!

Riker: Hey! No fair! You're giving yourself a point when it was my idea that saved the ship!

Data: Yeah, but I'm the one who figured it out.

Riker: But...aw, crud.

Captain Bateson: You morons! You almost hit us!

Picard: Why should we care? That old rustbucket you're driving is no match for the Enterprise.

Bateson: The Enterprise? Oh my God! Kirk -- you've lost all your hair!

(The Enterprise and the Bozeman sail away at Ludicrous Speed)

THE END

That was hilarious!!!! Especially where they say....

Picard: What does it say?

Data: "Listen to Riker."

Picard: That can't be right. Could you be missing a "don't" somewhere?

:martok: !!!

Just so no one can sue me or anything, I want to make it perfectly clear I could never write anything as funny as this. It's from the 3sygme.com site I keep posting about, and it's by a girl who's screen name is Kira!

That line plus these:

Captain's Log: WHEEE! Again! Again!

Picard: Data, do your thing.

Data: Ha! Data 4, Riker 0!

Picard: This time for sure!

Enterprise: Hmm...nope. KA-BLAM!

Captain Bateson: You morons! You almost hit us!

Picard: Why should we care? That old rustbucket you're driving is no match for the Enterprise.

Bateson: The Enterprise? Oh my God! Kirk -- you've lost all your hair!

Are my favourites

ROFL!! Can't breathe!

Riker: Crapcrapcrapcrap...I mean, I raise you 50.

Crusher: You're bluffing.

Riker: Gasp! How did you know?

ROFL.gif

lol, that 5- minute story is hilarious! did you guys read the others too? I just read a whole bunch of them! they're really funny, eps. 'The Best of Both worlds" :)

I have been reading alot of them lately, and I agree that they are hilarious.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Just an interesting point on this one, they (TPTB) wanted to have Kirsti Alley (As Savvik) to play the First Officer on Kelsey Grammers ship but because of her schedule she couldn't do it.</span>

Imagine her doing it now ... Savik has let herself go a wee bit. She would take up half the bridge ...