Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

The weakest series?

How can anyone consider that any Trek series is weak. Every single series had good episodes. Every single series had a few not so good episodes. I love it all and ENT had season four if nothing else that was absolutely amazing.

I agree with Gamera I love them all yes all of them had some really lame episodes but for me I have one thing so say I LOVE STAR TREK need I say more lol

Brian

OMG! With eps like, "Year of Hell," "Timeless," and even "Endgame" how can anybody say Voyager's the weakest! Granted there were good eps of all the series, overall Voyager is, IMHO the strongest. With a female Captain like Janeway that wouldn't take any junk off anybody, I mean, c'mon. As far as overall weakness goes here's how I would rank them--strongest to weakest.

1)Voyager (strongest)

2)TNG

3)Enterprise (had it been given a chance to keep going, might be rated higher)

4)TOS

5)DS9 (weakest--downright boring to me)

My friend and I actually set up a drinking game for Voyager because it became so predictable.

- Take a drink if the alien species Voyager encounters is just a human with some kind of bump of their forehead.

- Take a drink every time aforementioned alien species lures Voyager into some kind of trap under a pretense of friendship.

- Take a drink every time Janeway sends Tuvok on an away mission (two drinks if Harry Kim goes).

- Take a drink every time they can't beam someone out of a hostile environment due to unexplained interference.

- Take a drink every time they absolutely have to explore that nebula/strange anomaly/Borg cube/etc.

- Take a drink when Tom Paris opts to spend time w/Harry instead of B'Elanna.

And if you're really hardcore:

- Take a drink every time Seven of Nine utters the words "irrelevant", "inefficient" or "I/you/they/we/he/she will adapt".

That game can get you drunk pretty quickly from the looks of it........I LIKE IT!.... :huh:

Imo, TNG was the weakest of all the series. C'mon, Wesley gets sentenced to death on a planet and Picard violates the native laws in order to save him? When has Captain "by the book" ever stepped on anyone's toes? I guess only to save Wesley. Yet, there were some good Troi eps and the Ensign Sito eps were cool too. :huh: I guess TNG isn't that bad after all. I am gonna change my vote and go with TAS as my choice for "weakest" - the three armed navigator never appealed to me anyways.

Edited by GhostofMajorHayes

I think Voyager could have been done differently. The selection of characters was excellent--Kate Mulgrew was an excellent Janeway and Tuvok was priceless. B'Elanna was cool until she stopped being angry and started pronouncing "Chakotay" the way everyone else did. The Tom Paris and Harry Kim "bromance" was a brilliantly amusing idea. Seven of Nine was a great idea until she was the star of every other ep, and that is not an exaggeration.

The premise was daring; it was a chance to return to Star Trek's roots and go where "no one had gone before," and of all places, they chose the native stars of the Borg.

I don't know what went wrong, but I do demand a reshoot.

Imo, Enterprise was the "weakest" of the series. It started out great, but lacked some important character development (Mayweather) and suffered from bad casting choices (Blalock) and characters (Reed). There was much potential there, but it was unrealized for the most part. When season 4 was near an end and cancellation was certain, a few really good eps were produced (In a mirror darkly, Demons,Terra Prime,etc). If a 5th season had been realized my opinion would be swayed. Its just too bad that Enterprise suffered the same premature cancellation as TOS. :laugh:

I haven't started on DS9 yet, but it's a close call between Enterprise and Voyager, though TAS is a strong contender. They both had strong leads... Mulgrew and Bakula were good. The actors for Voyager were a little better, imo... even Ryan, who was hired to be the sex appeal, proved she could act in the few episodes where they let her, whereas Blalock seldom convinced me of that, Billingley's character was too over-the-top for me to take seriously, Park and Montgomery seldom got to prove themselves, and Keating and Trinneer were actually pretty good. The storylines were weaker for Enterprise, especially because they kept doing arcs. That irked me the most about Enterprise. The whole Xindi series of Season 3 really sunk it, even though there were some decent episodes. Season 4 of Enterprise (after the WWII arc) was just too little too late.

I haven't started on DS9 yet, but it's a close call between Enterprise and Voyager, though TAS is a strong contender. They both had strong leads... Mulgrew and Bakula were good. The actors for Voyager were a little better, imo... even Ryan, who was hired to be the sex appeal, proved she could act in the few episodes where they let her, whereas Blalock seldom convinced me of that, Billingley's character was too over-the-top for me to take seriously, Park and Montgomery seldom got to prove themselves, and Keating and Trinneer were actually pretty good. The storylines were weaker for Enterprise, especially because they kept doing arcs. That irked me the most about Enterprise. The whole Xindi series of Season 3 really sunk it, even though there were some decent episodes. Season 4 of Enterprise (after the WWII arc) was just too little too late.

I agree...Jeri always got the bad end of the stick for being typecast by the fans as the 'dumb eye candy', but that woman can truly act! The episode "Infinite Regress" is undeniable proof of that, and it also displayed to me why I hate Seven of Nine and not Jeri's interpretation of her.

My Reason For Hating Seven, Not Jeri (as displayed by "Infinite Regress")

Jeri killed in that episode...she made an excellent Klingon, and her Ferengi had me rolling. But that epi also helped me realize why I hate Seven so much.

When Seven's personality is taken over by the Vulcan, she actually had to use the word 'logic' and announce herself as a Vulcan before I fully realized she wasn't playing Seven. It was then that I realized that fault of Seven's annoying-ness lay not with Jeri's acting; it was because the writers had written Seven as a Vulcan, sans personality.

Take yourself to the DS-9 episode "Take Me Out To The Holosuite". Now think of Solock (captain of the Logicians). Imagine if they had given Solock a permanent role on DS-9 where he was featured literally every episode for three seasons.

Want to kill yourself? I thought so.

Solock is a one-dimensional antagonist, or as I like to say "a one note butthole". Seven was written in that vein and then featured so often that she made half of the fans want to open their veins with a blunt object. Therefore, Jeri's acting ability was placed on the back burner and her catsuit continued to be padded in the right places to help generate interest in her character.

Nobody wants to watch a constant annoyance...even a charismatic villain (Khan, Gul Dukat, Lursa & B'Etor) gets boring if featured every episode.

I think the combination of bad writing and overexposure was what soured a lot of fans on Seven.

Edited by Dabo Queen

I was also thinking of when she had to share her body with the Doctor's program. She emulated the Doctor perfectly. And in the WWII holodeck scenario, enjoyed that too.

BTW & FYI, DQ, you might want to edit your post. Censor evasion is only allowed in the Qo'nos forum.

I was also thinking of when she had to share her body with the Doctor's program. She emulated the Doctor perfectly. And in the WWII holodeck scenario, enjoyed that too.

BTW & FYI, DQ, you might want to edit your post. Censor evasion is only allowed in the Qo'nos forum.

Will do. :laugh:

No bad Treks for me they are all good, just like romantic interludes. :laugh:

Looks like we've got another naughty boy on our hands. :lol:

I wouldn't call Voyager the weakest series. I reserve that low place exclusively for Enterprise.

Voyager could have been better. I really wish they had stayed with the original concept longer (Neelix being the native guide, the Maquis being unpredictable and independent, Tom Paris being the bad boy with no allegiances to anyone). But before we knew it, it was one big happy Starfleet crew, Neelix was Julia Child and all that was out the window. <_<

Still, Voyager managed to shine from time to time, and I don't consider any of the seasons particularly "weak", as I enjoyed them all (certain episodes aside). And it did have at least one character, The Doctor, who has become one of my all time favorite Trek personalities.

VOYAGER? WEAKEST???? OH HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was maybe weakist as far as action, but storys, sure LITTLE inconsistancys, but at least it lasted 7 seasons, TOS and ENT didn't, not dogging them, but the base and ratings prove it VOYAGER was da bomb.

Enterprise was the weakest series. It didn't get good until the last season - and remember, that season almost didn't happen to begin with.

DS9 was not that strong in my opinion but it didn't have the ups and downs the other non-TOS serieses.

VGR didn't get good until they got rid of Kes. 7 of 9 carried the show. Even when it sucked, however, it still wasn't as bad as early TNG or early ENT.

TNG started off worse than TOS, but eventually got much better.

My opinion (which is just my opinion) they went like this:

DS9

TOS

TNG

ENT

VOY

You can't go by ratings and cancellations, back when TOS was cancelled they went by a whole different way of calculating the ratings. If they had been doing the ratings the same way they did a year or 2 after it was cancelled they never would have cancelled it. I don't recall the specifics, but I read an article where an NBC official said that had they known about TOS's popularity with the 18-24 year old male population (I think it was 18-24) they'd have kept it on the air for sure. Also, don't forget that had it not been for TOS none of the other series would have ever existed, calling TOS the weakest just doesn't make any sense.

As I said once before though, I'll take Enterprise season for season up against any of the other series and Enterprise will hold it's own in most cases and outshine the others in many cases.

Season 1 of Enterprise was better than any of the modern Treks. I would say the same for season 2. Season 3 gets a little tricky because that's where both TNG and DS9 really started to hit their stride. Voyager to an extent too. Season 4 of Enterprise was just a fantastic season from start to finish but again, DS9 and TNG had great 4th seasons as well and in my opinion season 4 is where Voyager began to take hold.

But also remember, Voyager was on the verge of cancellation for much of it's life. Seven of Nine was a result of needing to boost it's ratings to save it's life.

Also don't understand, when Trek fans say that one series or another is the "Weakest" that's not saying that series "sucked" and isn't worth watching. All 6 of the series (TAS included) are great TV and well worth watching. But in ranking them within the franchise there has to be a "best" and a "worst" or "strongest" and "weakest" so don't take personal offense at someone saying that your favorite series was the weakest.

Now, with that said I have to go take the names of those that said DS9 was the weakest... :)

If I had to pick I would say TAS was the weakest, then ENT, then Voyager (don't tell my wife I said that though!). Voyager was a bit erratic to me and they RUINED the Borg, by making them look like complete space wimps! I think DS9 is the strongest but I guess its just a matter of opinion/taste! Don't get me wrong I love them all, I've watched the whole Voyager series at least 5 times. Even "weak" Trek is better than most non Trek TV!

My answer, and an obvious one-NO. Not to me, anyway. Anyone could ostensibly make critiques about any of the series, and sure, one could say, each had its flaws-subject to interpretation. As someone said, it's still all trek-and, with a few of them more interested in than the others, I still would gladly watch them, if they were put back on syndication-as I had at least heard, or thought I did, TNG was to eventually be.

This is my order:

TNG

VOY

TOS

ENT

DS9

Sorry i just think DS9 was not a star trek show, i mean look at it, not based on a starship, it was land based, i consider a spacestasion to be land based. They only ventured out to that wormhole, and it didn't get interesting till the last episodes, who cares about cardassians, there stupid, and the Klingons could kick there ass, the only reason they had any success was the founders.

I definitely say no, it isn't the weakest series. DS9 is the only Trek series I've had trouble getting into. I tried when it originally aired but gave up because I found it boring. From my perspective, I would consider DS9 the weakest series.
I challenge you with the same Challenge I've given others in the past, like Dark Reality and Mandy... and a few others.

Watch DS9 from the first episode all the way through the final episode, then judge it.

Once you've watched every single episode then let us know what you think. Personally, I've watched every episode of all 5 series (all 6 series if you include TAS).

I'm sticking with my initial ranking (Strongest to weakest):

DS9

TOS

TNG

ENT

VOY

Let's say we do as you say and still think it is a bunch of crap. Will you refund us the cost of the DVDs?
Sure, you just wait there for your refund check. Of course keep in mind that my challenge was specifically to Takara. But you're welcome to watch every episode of DS9 also.

Janeway's ethics were a bit askew. She didn't bat an eyelid at blowing up Borg Cubes to get parts to get Voyager home. Rudy Ransom eat your heart out.